nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. Redcarmoose
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    Great review. I also own and love the DAC Magic Plus. Still at the end of the day I have to admit the amp section is just slightly lacking. Going to another amp by holding the volume switch pushed in while powering up goes into line out mode. You know you in line out as the volume knob becomes unresponsive. I have found even with super sensitive headphones, something like the Asgard One or even the little JDS Labs c421 portable amp gets me slightly better sound. Just a friendly suggestion, which may or may not improve with your headphones in use?
  2. Redcarmoose
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    Great review. I also own and love the DAC Magic Plus. Still at the end of the day I have to admit the amp section is just slightly lacking. Going to another amp by holding the volume knob pushed in while powering up goes into line out mode. You know you in line out as the volume knob becomes unresponsive. I have found even with super sensitive headphones, something like the Asgard One or even the little JDS Labs c421 portable amp gets me slightly better sound. Just a friendly suggestion, which may or may not improve with your headphones in use? Still going direct out of the DAC offers an honesty of coherence with phase and instrument placement being held together in the time domain. Going straight out from the DAC does have a close-up detail effect and directness which is slightly lost with the adding of interconnects and amp? Still you should notice slightly better bass and greater head-stage, especially in the mids and lower mids? IMO Redcarmoose The rich text editor is not compatible with your browser. You may see some HTML source displayed. Any BBCode you enter will be converted to HTML when you save.
  3. Redcarmoose
    Great review. I also own and love the DAC Magic Plus. Still at the end of the day I have to admit the amp section is just slightly lacking. Going to another amp by holding the volume knob pushed in while powering up goes into line out mode. You know your truly in line out as the volume knob becomes unresponsive. I have found even with super sensitive headphones, something like the Asgard One or even the little JDS Labs c421 portable amp gets me slightly better sound. Just a friendly suggestion, which may or may not improve with your headphones in use? Still going direct out of the DAC offers an honesty of coherence with phase and instrument placement being held together in the time domain. Going straight out from the DAC does have a close-up detail effect and directness which is slightly lost with the adding of interconnects and amp? Still you should notice slightly better bass and greater head-stage, especially in the mids and lower mids? IMO
  4. Delayeed
    Thanks! Yeah I've read that the headphone amp on it isn't that good and just ignored it because it sounds good to me haha. One day will upgrade to maybe an Asgard 2... First things first saving for an Ether C even though I'm still not 100% sure I will actually have the nerves to buy it. :D
    Delayeed, Mar 25, 2016
  5. Redcarmoose
    I'm only offering that suggestion as it's surprising how different amps going line out from the DAC Magic seem to effect aspects of headphone signatures. So much so that I guessed your take on the headphones in the above review could have been swayed due to the DAC Magic amp character. Still don't get me wrong, there IS a special personality to having the DAC go direct that gets you very close to the music. I like to use the DAC like you do.
    Redcarmoose, Mar 26, 2016
  6. Nick-s-f
    Enjoyable read. I can echo what you mentioned about the mids, having a/b tested the HD600 and AD. The HD600 mids are so so forward, but because they are open they have room to 'breathe' so to speak. I find both phones trade punches well, and they really showcase the qualities of dynamic vs planar. Also, you'd probably be just fine with the Asgard 2. The AD does not gain much more headroom or scale with the Lyr 2 (I compared the Lyr 2 and my Magni 2).
    Nick-s-f, Mar 27, 2016
  7. Delayeed
    Thanks man good to know. Thinking about a Chord Mojo also... Selling my Alpha Dogs now to get the Ether C though.
    Delayeed, Mar 27, 2016