nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. Bansaku
    Nice review! :)
    Bansaku, Jan 28, 2016
  2. grizzlybeast
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    Under construction lol... Thanks
    grizzlybeast, Jan 28, 2016
  3. MezeTeam
    Hi, we really appreciate your feedback and are already looking at a slight improvement of the earpads. Stay tuned. In terms of colors: there will be some more discreet versions available in the future.
    MezeTeam, Jan 28, 2016
  4. Mshenay
    nicely done
    Mshenay, Jan 29, 2016
  5. reddog
    A great review, very informative.
    reddog, Jan 29, 2016
  6. pablodiablo
    I don't understand the appeal of resonant enclosures.  People who are new to hi-fi seem to think you want an exotic wood enclosure that will make your speakers more musical when that is the antithesis of what one should seek.  We want the drivers to do all the talking and the enclosures to be silent.  Materials only resonate at certain frequencies, so if you have a resonant enclosure, it will only tip up a certain frequency, which I cannot imagine wanting in a headphone.  It seem weird that engineers are seeking acoustically inert materials while others want the opposite.  That said, if they sound good, they sound good and are worth a listen.  Perhaps someone can help me understand the use of wood in these cans.  All the speaker enclosures I've heard that have exotic wood have been a huge dissapointment.
    pablodiablo, Jan 29, 2016
  7. Bansaku
    [user=444627]@pablodiablo[/user] You do realize that 90% of the sound we hear comes from reflections? Talk to any loudspeaker manufacturer and they will tell you the biggest hurdles are overcoming the resonance, both in the cabinet and the room. In regards to 'wood headphones', it really no different than a loudspeaker as their enclosures are almost exclusively made of wood, so using 'exotic' materials makes more sense than plain old plastic.   "All the speaker enclosures I've heard that have exotic wood have been a huge disappointment. " So, you prefer the el'cheapo loudspeakers that use plastic or particle board?
    Bansaku, Jan 29, 2016
  8. grizzlybeast
    Thx
    grizzlybeast, Jan 31, 2016
  9. MezeTeam
    [user=444627]@pablodiablo[/user] and everybody else interested in the wood subject:   We tweaked and tested wood earcups since 2009. At the beginning made our own prototypes and then used some OEM headphones as a base for experiments.    I would like to make a statement of our conclusion: replacing plastic earcups with wood will not automatically make the sound better. You have to work with the wood and it;s characteristics and take them into the equation. But the driver, the air volume and the vents are still the more important ones of the variables.    As you can see on our website we stayed away from any spectacular statement regarding the magical acoustic properties of wood. [url=https://www.mezeheadphones.com/meze-99-classics-gold-wood-headphones]https://www.mezeheadphones.com/meze-99-classics-gold-wood-headphones[/url]
    MezeTeam, Jan 31, 2016
  10. grizzlybeast
    Kinda jonesing for these.
    grizzlybeast, Feb 2, 2016
  11. pablodiablo
    @GBansaku   You're kind of reinforcing my point.  The better loudspeaker manufacturers don't use solid wood cabinets, like you seem to believe.  Solid wood, especially hardwoods, tend to be extremely resonant, making them great for building instruments, like drums, but horrible for making speaker cabinets.  Manufacturers like Wilson Audio use acoustically inert materials like MDF for the cabinets in order to eliminated resonance within the cabinet.  My Paradigm Studio Reference 100s have a beautiful rosewood finish, but it's just a veneer applied to the MDF the cabinets are made of.  I'd hardly call my Paradigms 'cheapo.'  Certainly not the $200,000 Wilsons I listened to last week.  The loudspeaker designers I've personally spoken with include Clayton Shaw of Spatial Audio, Robert Lee of Acoustic Zen and Sean Casey of Zu audio.  They would all disagree with pretty much everything you just said.   Bottom line:  exotic woods impress neophytes and charlatans, but are a sign of inferior design for those of us who actually grasp the nuances of hi-fi audio.
    pablodiablo, Feb 9, 2016
  12. MezeTeam
    Was great to see Tyll from Innerfidelity quoting [user=352758]@grizzlybeast[/user] :) [url=http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/meze-99-classics-very-fun-very-tasty#qqWpOFgiWtLx7xFm.97]http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/meze-99-classics-very-fun-very-tasty#qqWpOFgiWtLx7xFm.97[/url] I love this comunity
    MezeTeam, Mar 1, 2016