nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. miceblue
    "If you want to listen the TRUTH this is it but the truth is usually not fun, especially if you are listening old music which are very often badly mixed (most of Bowie are too on the high frequencies)" Are they better more truthful than the SR-009 or Orpheus?
    miceblue, Nov 26, 2015
  2. Modwright01
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    It gonna be really hard to say. The Orpheus is a real masterpiece for classical music. It makes me feel like I'm in the concert room because of the gigantic Soundstage. My listening experience with rock music was disappointing... and the SR-009 is really analytical too and you can hear absolutely everything, a bit more than the HD800. Excellent to listen the truth of the record too, even better than the hd800. But considering the price and the fact you cannot use the sr-009 as easily as the hd800, i would say it is not worth it. and an important point is the confort and the 009 aren't amazing on this point. the only headphones as comfortable as the hd800 are R10 and the qualia (even I'm not a fan of the headband system especially if you have lot of hair)
  3. pbui44
    Of all the HD800 reviews I read, I have to agree most with yours with a few (costly) caveats: basically, you might have to spend some serious cash to make David Bowie recordings sound good on the HD800. A year ago I tried the HD800 with balanced cable (stock, I think) hooked up to a Ragnarok and Yggdrasil (or Ragy/Yggy) Schiit stack (control center, really) and MacBook Pro (~2013?) via USB cable (probably mono price). Listening to "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell, I could hear a very faint hiss in the background and very faint hum from the synthesizer they were playing, even on high noted samples. It seems pretty obvious that the band was using their own mic and synth for the recording, but I also heard both of the guys feeling much more comfortable playing thoughout the song. This would probably sound obvious with any HD800, but with the Ragy/Yggy stack, I could hear very technical stuff that only they could do, like the synth string during the "yearning, yearning" part and head movements from the vocalist from the "baby, baby" part. The song presentation was still rather bright, but I feel the Ragy/Yggy stack made the presentation made the the technical stuff more smooth, as I also heard this from the LCD-X. So because I feel that the HD800 is best as a critical listener's can, you can make it musical, just as long as you have some deep pockets.
    pbui44, Nov 27, 2015
  4. Hal X
    Having had these headphones for a year, I actually have to say that i don't agree on the "Truth" statement. I actually found the bass to be very well balanced, not lacking at all. What really I could not digest on the long run was the exaggerated sibilance and the glare that the treble had wich spoiled vocals and made the tone of some instruments artificial. On the other hand, build quality, soundstage , distortion properties, impulse response were all great but I just couldn't stand the peak at 6-7 khz.
    Hal X, Nov 27, 2015
  5. Peti
    Peti, Nov 27, 2015
  6. Modwright01
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    I'm still experimenting these cans, all I can say is : I sometimes can hear details I NEVER heard before with ANY other cans. Maybe it's my memory but I doubt, seriously some tracks I know by heart and still discovering some details... Impressive.
  7. Modwright01
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    An advise if you can listen CERONNE - Supernature 2011 remaster, it sounds INSANE on the HD800 (if you like disco)
  8. Modwright01
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    One of the best example we can find to me to show what HD800 can do is to listen the AMAZING Avalon track from Roxy Music (sacd version, so DSD or Cd quality minium).
  9. Modwright01
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    One of the best example we can find to me to show what HD800 can do is to listen the AMAZING Avalon track from Roxy Music (sacd version, so DSD or Cd quality minium) or Blurred Line from Robin Thick sounds stellar on the HD800
  10. Modwright01
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    Just listening the Abbey Road Toshiba Black Triangle, which is the best version, and all I can say is : after listening many time this one with the R10, the Denon D7000, the Denon 7100, the TH900, the Qualia...The HD800 reveals details I just NEVER heard on this master, and I know it by heart. This is truly OUTSTANDING and impressive.
    Modwright01, Nov 28, 2015