nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. ASpencer
    Very fair review.  I like the PAW5000 has my “on the go” player and it’s the easiest to navigate while walking around, or certainly exercising, which you’ve emphasized.  A separate company sells screen covers that fit, but I had great difficulty affixing the protective screen over the glass without bubbles and it was hard to properly line up.  My box featured earbuds on the cover and came with a pair of Piano Forte II that I found basically worthless.
    ASpencer, Oct 21, 2015
  2. x RELIC x
    Always appreciate your DAP comparisons and the detailed information! Great review, thanks!
    x RELIC x, Oct 21, 2015
  3. moedawg140
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    Great review!  I always enjoy your DAP comparisons (and pictures)!
    moedawg140, Oct 22, 2015
  4. moedawg140
    Awesome review [user=378311]@twister6[/user]!  I always enjoy your DAP comparisons (and pictures) and IEM/headphone pairings!
    moedawg140, Oct 22, 2015
  5. Joeybgood
    Can the usb3.0 port be utilized to pair with an external amp/dac and bypass the DAPs ?
    Joeybgood, Nov 7, 2015
  6. twister6
    [user=419028]@Joeybgood[/user] : sorry, it doesn't, it doesn't support usb otg.
    twister6, Nov 7, 2015
  7. ozkan
    Alex do you rank it above Ap100?
    ozkan, Nov 7, 2015
  8. twister6
    [user=346841]@ozkan[/user] : uh, so much PAW5k activity after it went up on MD :)  In terms of sound quality, AP100 ranks above, but as an overall functionality, features, and user experience - Lotoo is miles ahead of it.  PAW5k scaled down a sound quality, but it has a lot of features carried over from its $2k "Gold" flagship.
    twister6, Nov 7, 2015
  9. Saoshyant
    Thank you for the detailed review [user=378311]@twister6[/user] as it's getting me closer to making a balanced dap decision.  With the Paw5K sitting at $200 on Amazon, and my desire to spend $600 on an AK70 or $400 on a Hifiman Supermini lessening after reading what I can get for $200, I think I might have made a decision, just not quite sure yet.  I suspect this will be a lateral move to my Fiio X5 gen 1, so at least if that's true I won't feel I'm taking a step back if I go this route.  Also considering I can  use this as a transport for Mojo unless I'm mistaken, this very well may replace 2 or 3 daps at once if I get it.  Thank you again for the review and the help it's given!
    Saoshyant, Aug 25, 2016
  10. ruthieandjohn
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    I learned of the Lotoo DAPs from GradoLabs, who recommended it instead of a portable amp for driving their headphones.  They use it themselves (primarily the Lotoo PAW Gold, but for portable use, this PAW 5000).   There IS a way to make album art appear on the Covers view... it MUST be in jpeg format, must be less than 150 kB, and must be in the folder that also contains the songs of the album.  Even then, if you organize your music in nested folders of Artist / Album / song files, you will bring up the Artist folder during Cover view, and unless you put a picture of the artist responsible for the respective albums in the folder, you will get no picture.   As regards the parametric equalizer, I have found several settings...one on the Lotoo site, one on the UK distributor site (the folks that wrote its English manual), and four others on the head-fi.org site.   I especially like the Lotoo one:   Filter 1:      33 Hz; +4 dB; LSF; 1 Filter 2:      55 Hz; +6.5 dB; BPF; 1 Filter 3:  1,100 Hz; +2 dB; BPF; 1 Filter 4:10,000Hz; +8.4 dB; BPF; 1 Filter 5:11,000Hz; +6.0 dB; BPF; 1.   If I get time, I plan to build an Excel spreadsheet model that will compute and plot the frequency response as a function of multiple filters' frequency, gain, type, and Q.  With that, I can overlay it on the published measured response of a particular headphone to seek frequency compensation settings.   Oh, and I LOVE the PAW 5000, so much so that I am determined to get the PAW GOLD, recognizing that it has fewer features (no digital output, no BT) but even better sound.
    ruthieandjohn, Oct 5, 2016
  11. ruthieandjohn
    I learned of the Lotoo DAPs from GradoLabs, who recommended it instead of a portable amp for driving their headphones.  They use it themselves (primarily the Lotoo PAW Gold, but for portable use, this PAW 5000).   There IS a way to make album art appear on the Covers view... it MUST be in jpeg format, must be less than 150 kB, and must be in the folder that also contains the songs of the album.  Even then, if you organize your music in nested folders of Artist / Album / song files, you will bring up the Artist folder during Cover view, and unless you put a picture of the artist responsible for the respective albums in the folder, you will get no picture for that folder.   As regards the parametric equalizer, I have found several settings...one on the Lotoo site, one on the UK distributor site (the folks that wrote its English manual), and four others on the head-fi.org site.   I especially like the Lotoo one:   Filter 1:      33 Hz; +4 dB; LSF; 1 Filter 2:      55 Hz; +6.5 dB; BPF; 1 Filter 3:  1,100 Hz; +2 dB; BPF; 1 Filter 4:10,000Hz; +8.4 dB; BPF; 1 Filter 5:11,000Hz; +6.0 dB; BPF; 1.   If I get time, I plan to build an Excel spreadsheet model that will compute and plot the frequency response as a function of multiple filters' frequency, gain, type, and Q.  With that, I can overlay it on the published measured response of a particular headphone to seek frequency compensation settings.   Oh, and I LOVE the PAW 5000, so much so that I am determined to get the PAW GOLD, recognizing that it has fewer features (no digital output, no BT, no charging via USB but by dedicated charger) but even better sound.
    ruthieandjohn, Oct 5, 2016