nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. vaibhavp
    i also compared two in a meet using akg k550, liked classic better so went with it. i think it pairs better with k550.   ot: does rx drive efficient full sized cans like k550 better than e12 or is it strictly for iems ?
    vaibhavp, Sep 30, 2015
  2. x RELIC x
    [user=379246]@vaibhavp[/user], yeah the I feel the Classic does better with the K550 but I rarely listen to them anymore. OT: new Rx is pretty much for IEMs only. Ken tuned it specifically for use with IEM and limited the output power to 28mW. It's a purpose built amp that excels in that purpose.
    x RELIC x, Sep 30, 2015
  3. avitron142
    Nice review. I just wish people would do more comparisons to something other than another Fiio player - half of the 30 reviews compare it to the first gen. X5, but there's like only one person who compared to to the DX90.   Not your fault by any means, but I was hoping someone would jump off the Fiio hype train and actually do comparisons to determine price/performance value (at least for SQ).
    avitron142, Oct 1, 2015
  4. BloodyPenguin
    Fantastic Review!  Now I want one!
    BloodyPenguin, Oct 1, 2015
  5. x RELIC x
    Thanks [user=380530]@avitron142[/user] and [user=193679]@BloodyPenguin[/user]
    x RELIC x, Oct 1, 2015
  6. x RELIC x
    Just a note that the Review Details such as Audio Quality, Value, Design, Battery Life shown as green bars isn't what I've entered and no matter what I try to do to edit them they remain the same.    I gave:    [b]Audio Quality[/b] 4.5 / 5 [b]Battery Life[/b] 3.9 / 5 [b]Design[/b] 4.5 / 5 [b]User Interface[/b] 3 / 5 [b]Value[/b] 5 / 5
    x RELIC x, Oct 1, 2015
  7. TraneTime
    Thank you for an excellent, detailed review!  I've been thinking about getting an X5 2nd Gen for a while now.  Your review has convinced me it will be worth it.
    TraneTime, Oct 1, 2015
  8. Tuneslover
    Nicely done sir.
    Tuneslover, Oct 1, 2015
  9. reddog
    A great, informative review. I am tempted to get one through MassDrop.
    reddog, Oct 2, 2015
  10. x RELIC x
    Thanks [user=429882]@TraneTime[/user], [user=400605]@Tuneslover[/user], [user=393296]@reddog[/user].
    x RELIC x, Oct 3, 2015
  11. bolmeteus
    Thank you for the detailed review, Fiio's X3 ii & X5 ii feel like a pretty solid refresh!
    bolmeteus, Oct 3, 2015
  12. TraneTime
    I threw my hat in the ring and ordered it through Amazon.  Thanks again xRELICx!
    TraneTime, Oct 3, 2015
  13. Gram2
    I have an apple and a Fiio E12 ,I want to get a better Music player for under $300 and want to know if when hooking anything up to the main music driver the amp will overide it? I want something with an EQ that I can use on like say Bowers&Wilkins P7,PSB, or Hifiman 400,Beyerdynamic T-90? If you have some info ,please .
    Gram2, Oct 6, 2015
  14. x RELIC x
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    @Gram2 If you had some more detail it would help. You have an Apple what? iPod Classic, iPod Touch? MacBook? Essentially you can use a 30 pin to 3.5mm Line Out cable from an iPod Classic that would bypass the weak internal amp of the iPod to the e12 (you can't output from the iPod Classic to the X5ii). If you have an iPod touch you can only use the Headphone out to the e12 which would be double amping and not ideal (you can't use the iPod Touch to the X5ii). If you have an Apple MacBook you can set the X5ii to USB DAC mode and connect your MacBook with a USB cable. This will allow you to play files from your MacBook and use any EQ or DSP available in the software you are using to playback music. The decoded digital signal is then sent to the X5ii for the onboard DAC to convert from digital to analogue and from there you can use the headphone output or use the Line Out to the e12 or another amplifier. As a stand alone player the X5ii would sound much better than an Apple(?) but you need to figure out if it has a good synergy with the headphones you listed. If the X5ii power output is too weak for you then you can always use the Line Out function from the X5ii to the e12 to power more difficult to drive headphones.
    x RELIC x, Oct 6, 2015
  15. x RELIC x
    [user=401079]@Gram2[/user] If you had some more detail it would help. You have an Apple what? iPod Classic, iPod Touch? MacBook? Essentially you can use a 30 pin to 3.5mm Line Out cable from an iPod Classic that would bypass the weak internal amp of the iPod to the e12 (you can't output from the iPod Classic to the X5ii). If you have an iPod touch you can only use the Headphone out to the e12 which would be double amping and not ideal (you can't use the iPod Touch to the X5ii). If you have an Apple MacBook you can set the X5ii to USB DAC mode and connect your MacBook with a USB cable. This will allow you to play files from your MacBook and use any EQ or DSP available in the software you are using to playback music. The decoded digital signal is then sent to the X5ii for the onboard DAC to convert from digital to analogue and from there you can use the headphone output or use the Line Out to the e12 or another amplifier. As a stand alone player the X5ii would sound much better than an Apple(?) but you need to figure out if it has a good synergy with the headphones you listed. If the X5ii power output is too weak for you then you can always use the Line Out function from the X5ii to the e12 to power more difficult to drive headphones.
    x RELIC x, Oct 6, 2015
  16. Gram2
    I have been lookin at the first Fiio and maybe want to start with that. I have an Apple 4th Gen,touch with a fiio e12 that mostly powers my PSB MSU1,Bowers&Wilkins 7 and sometimes my other ones but I am looking for an IEM for under $100 ,I have Sennheiser 250 for IEM'S . My computer is the way of transfer with buur-brown . And I would like a better sound If I bought and tried out the X1 with the E12 and will the EQ overpower the DAC. The headphones I have are Beyerdynamics T-90,Hifiman HE-400,PSB M4U2,Bowers and wilkins P-7 and some low priced IEM's . I just want to know that the power will be good for any or most of these and will I have to use the seperate amp or will both conjoin together? Thank you!
    Gram2, Oct 9, 2015
  17. x RELIC x
    Well as I mentioned in my review the X5ii drives my LCD-2 satisfactorily so you should have no problems with most of your headphones. Fiio officially recommends headphones with an impedance from 16-150 Ohms, but I've found that number to be conservative. The only headphones that may not be driven as well as you'd like are the t-90 and the hm-400, for those you might need the e12 but I don't think it would be necessary.. The EQ is well done in the X5ii and doesn't over drive the amp. Not sure what you mean by overpowering the DAC. I describe the EQ on the X5ii in the 'Software Usability' section of my review. The X5ii will sound much better than the iPod touch in my opinion and is much more powerful for your headphones.
    x RELIC x, Oct 9, 2015
  18. Gram2
     Thanks for your advice when no one helped! I wanted to know if when you connect another device to the Fiio is the Fiio going to be the second source and the volume going to be controlled by the amp or the Fiio X1? And I do want to start at a reasonable price with the X1 . How are your opinions with the two gadgets?
    Gram2, Oct 9, 2015
  19. x RELIC x
    When using the X1 to the e12 you should use the Line Out function and that will use the volume on the e12 and disable the volume from the player. You can use the headphone out from the X1 but it won't be as clean a signal as the Line Out. The DAC in the X1 to the e12 amplifier will sound very good for the price. For more advice I suggest you go to the X1 thread as this review is for the X5ii. Good luck. [url=http://www.head-fi.org/t/691332/the-all-new-fiio-x1-192k-24b-pcm5142-dac-and-100mw-output-with-lo-and-inline-remote]http://www.head-fi.org/t/691332/the-all-new-fiio-x1-192k-24b-pcm5142-dac-and-100mw-output-with-lo-and-inline-remote[/url]
    x RELIC x, Oct 10, 2015