nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. Brooko
    Interesting - measurements actually show a dip at 1 kHz and hump at 2 kHz.  It's actually one of the less V shaped IEMs (in terms of classic V shape) that I've come across.  It has a really weird kind of shape with bass emphasis, dip at 1 kHz, peak at 2 kHz, then big drop from 3-6 kHz and associated rise again at 8-9 kHz.  Hopefully I'll post a graph soon (I'm due to have the review out on these in the near future).   I'm afraid I can't share your enthusiasm for them. Far too many issues IMO to be remotely close to 5 star.  Preferences are a funny thing I guess.
    Brooko, Sep 18, 2015
  2. HiFiChris
    [user=170914]@Brooko[/user] When I read some other reviews, I also noticed that they somehow differed in terms of perception of the A73's sounding, but I've just written down what I heard, with the IEMs in my ear canals. Being connected to sources with a low output impedance, I did multiple sine sweeps and compared them to my UERM and ER-4S (as the latter has the flatter highs, except for the emphasis in the lower highs/presence area), and that's just how they sound in my ears. It doesn't happen very often, but sometimes my perception of an IEM deviates from other enthusiasts. In this case, what I have written about the highs is plainly what I perceived in this case. As you will most likely know yourself, the angle and insertion depth sometimes have got a huge influence, and my tests with the Carbo Tenore earlier that year in a German community were a good example for it (regular depth: v-shaped, very deep insertion: warm sound with recessed highs). I'd consider myself experienced enough to know what I write about my own perception, as I have been one of the top-tear reviewers and purchase advisor in a large German headphone/audio community, receiving only positive feedback. As there no issues detected by me in my ear canals, I genuinely gave the A73 5 stars. I hope to jump into making IEM measurements myself in the near future when the VibroLabs Veritas arrives, maybe you have also heard of it. Imho a very interesting approach.
    HiFiChris, Sep 19, 2015
  3. Brooko
    Yep it's what I'm using now Chris (the Veritas).  Combined with the ARTA software, it is brilliant for the hobbyist objectivist :)   And I seem to be the minority in my impressions of the A73 - but again my thoughts on the 5 star relate to things like the ringing in upper-mids / lower treble, peak at 9 kHz (sibilance), and the fact that there is no lip on the nozzle (almost no-one seems to have pointed that little gem out yet).
    Brooko, Sep 19, 2015
  4. HiFiChris
    [user=170914]@Brooko[/user] Ah, that's neat. :) Do you know if adding an HRTF compensation to the graphs is possible with the Veritas and ARTA? Well, I find the "peak" (which is, in my ears, by the way at pretty much exactly 8 kHz) to be of lesser amount than on the Triple.Fi 10 or Fischer Amps FA-4E XB or UERM. But then again, perception often differs and I've eve come across people that heard sibilance on the Westone 4R, InEar StageDiver SD-2 (okay, there is some sort of peak in the upper highs, but it is still below ground line) or Knowledge Zenith ATE. Indeed, there is no lip on the nozzle, but I honestly don't even consider it as a flaw and haven't even noticed it (and actually don't care as long as the tips stay on without moving or getting lost in the ear canals). Looking forward to reading your review though.
    HiFiChris, Sep 19, 2015