nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. rookie2009
    What a great review and comparative analysis with other iems, well done Nic
    rookie2009, Sep 16, 2015
  2. Kerouac
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    Astonishing (in a good way) review mate! Very well described and great comparisons and descriptions of your variable iems & cables   While writing my review on the Solar, I mainly used the 2.98 on it, and as you described cable choice has a big influence (I'm with you there) on the Solars perfomance. Didn't you think the soundstage width also improved with the 2.98?   Now you also got me curious about the Rti2, you shouldn't have done that ;) Cheers!
  3. Kerouac
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    Astonishing (in a good way) review mate! Very well described and great comparisons and descriptions of your variable iems & cables While writing my review on the Solar, I mainly used the 2.98 on it, and as you described cable choice has a big influence (I'm with you there) on the Solars performance. Didn't you think the soundstage width also improved a bit with the 2.98? Now you also got me curious about the Rti2, you shouldn't have done that ;) Cheers!
  4. Kerouac
    Astonishing (in a good way) review mate! Very well described and great comparisons and descriptions of your variable iems & cables. While writing my review on the Solar, I mainly used the 2.98 on it. As you described cable choice has a big influence (I'm with you there) on the Solars performance, didn't you think the soundstage width also improved a bit with the 2.98? Now you also got me curious about the Rti2, you shouldn't have done that ;) Cheers!
  5. flinkenick
    Thanks Steve, Erik, appreciate it :) I'll need to do some more listening to test that, it's been a busy couple of weeks playing around with the new iems and cables. All the different combo's need some more time!
    flinkenick, Sep 16, 2015
  6. Ivabign
    Very fine review, my friend - you hit the nail on the head with your comparisons when describing the IEMs that we have in common. Well done.
    Ivabign, Sep 16, 2015
  7. flinkenick
    Thanks man, I have to admit I copied the "copious bass" line from one of our earlier messages when I was still in anticipation of the 8.A. So it's fair to say you've made a contribution ;)
    flinkenick, Sep 16, 2015
  8. Metalboy
    Amazing review!
    Metalboy, Sep 17, 2015
  9. flinkenick
    If it wasn't for your [url=http://www.head-fi.org/products/rhapsodio-10ba/reviews/12356]comparisons with the SE 5-way, Roxanne and others[/url] I wouldn't have gotten it!
    flinkenick, Sep 17, 2015
  10. proedros
    excellent review , solar seems like a gem waiting to be found - somewhere far away from the shores of hype :-p great job man !
    proedros, Sep 20, 2015
  11. flinkenick
    Thanks [user=158478]@proedros[/user]! Hope you can try it sometime ;)
    flinkenick, Sep 21, 2015
  12. FidelityCastro
    Mate - what a superbly written review. One of the best reads as well as detailed. It got even better as it went along, and extra part that talked about different cables - and what music they suited best - should be a blueprint for reviews (I know we've always exchanged views on which IEMs suits particular styles). One thing that made me chuckle - and is a great example of why non head-fi people think we all talk total b*ll*cks most of the time - was this: "natural and balanced, but in a lively and colourful way". In theory, they're either natural or colourful, and either balanced or lively, lol. Well done and I'm now going to investigate adding Sonar with the silver/gold cable to my collection. And I blame you entirely :-)
    FidelityCastro, Sep 22, 2015
  13. flinkenick
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    Thanks a lot man that's very kind of you. I try to improve my writing with each review, but to be honest I'm still catching on to the lingo.. :)   Thanks for the pointers, my intial thought was that it was balanced because the full frequency range is well represented, i.e. bass is plentiful, mids are full as the 8.A and treble is very extended - the full works. BUT I think you're right and that is not what is traditionally meant with balanced. They are more lively than balanced, as the upper midrange adds a nice coloration. Still have to figure out how 'natural' fits in there, but if I'd you're making me choose I'd go with colourful and lively :) If I recall your music preference correctly from the threads I would indeed highly recommend that specific combination. Thanks again!
  14. flinkenick
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    Thanks a lot man that's very kind of you. I try to improve my writing with each review, but to be honest I'm still catching on to the lingo.. :)   Thanks for the pointers, my intial thought was that it was balanced because the full frequency range is well represented, i.e. bass is plentiful, mids are full as the 8.A and treble is very extended - the full works. BUT I think you're right and that is not what is traditionally meant with balanced. They are more lively than balanced, as the upper midrange adds a nice coloration. Still have to figure out how 'natural' fits in there, but if you're making me choose I'd go with colourful and lively :) If I recall your music preference correctly from the threads I would indeed highly recommend that specific combination. Thanks again!
  15. flinkenick
    Thanks a lot man that's very kind of you. I try to improve my writing with each review, but to be honest I'm still catching on to the lingo.. :)   Thanks for the pointers, my intial thought was that it was balanced because the full frequency range is well represented, i.e. bass is plentiful, mids are full as the 8.A (my personal reference) and treble is very extended - the full works. BUT I think you're right and that is not what is traditionally meant with balanced. They are more lively than balanced, as the upper midrange adds a nice coloration. Still have to figure out how 'natural' fits in there, but if you're making me choose I'd go with colourful and lively :) If I recall your music preference correctly from the threads I would indeed highly recommend that specific combination. Thanks again!
  16. Aero Dynamik
    I absolutely love my DUNU DN-2000J UIEM and I noticed you have it too. What would you say would be the advantages (if any) of the Solar over the 2000J? I'd be very interested to know. Thanks!
    Aero Dynamik, Jan 31, 2016
  17. flinkenick
    flinkenick, Feb 3, 2016
  18. flinkenick
    Well, the Solar has a wider, deeper and taller soundstage; the overall space is a great deal larger. The 2000j's bass has nicer texture and is cleaner, the Solar has a midbass hump that gives warmth and fullness to the midrange. While the Solar also has a slight bump at 5 khz that gives it airiness and clarity, not to the extent of the 2000j. The 2000j's advantage is its treble sparkle and definition, which would make it more suitable for classical for instance. But overall, the Solar is a great deal fuller, the 2000j is a bit thin and delicate sounding. In comparison the Solar will impress with its size, while its warmer tone will give more emotion to vocals. Personally, I find the 2000j a bit of a specialist, there are only a few genres that really work with it (IMO, if you're used to other iems). The Solar is a great deal more allround, and better suited for vocals and (electric) guitars; so for a lot of band-based genres like rock etc. Hope this helps!
    flinkenick, Feb 3, 2016
  19. Aero Dynamik
    Hey flinkenick! Thanks a bunch for this very elaborate comparison between the Solar and the 2000J. Very much appreciated and it makes a lot of sense! About the only thing that surprises me is the Solar's overall larger soundstage, especially as the 2000J already (IMO) excels in this area. It would be interesting to hear the Solar. Maybe some day... ;) Again, thanks!!!
    Aero Dynamik, Feb 3, 2016
  20. flinkenick
    No problem, glad to help :)
    flinkenick, Feb 4, 2016
  21. proedros
    Hey Nic, just one question about the cables part in your review - is this copper cable the same as the stock one provided ? or is the sound enhancement different due to it being an 8-braid (i think stock is a 4-braid) ? [i]RSD OCC Copper Litz 8-braid[/i] [i]also , the thing you say about silver cable beefing up the mids and copper cable beefing up the highs extends to cables by other makers as well ? cheers[/i]
    proedros, Feb 8, 2016
  22. flinkenick
    Hi Sotos, -The review was actually written with the copper litz cable, the former standard cable. -The OCC copper 8-braid was an upgrade cable that is no longer for sale. -The silver litz actually gives a slight recess in the lower mids, has a colder atmosphere, but makes the midrange clearer by improving resolution as well as treble sparkle. I will prob edit the whole cable part out.
    flinkenick, Feb 9, 2016
  23. Incarnation
    Hellooooo, just wanted to know, after so many other TOTLs are being released, do you think solar still has the capabilities to stand against the rest? :)
    Incarnation, Mar 11, 2017