nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. View previous replies
  2. bruce1967
    Great review! Thanks so much!
    bruce1967, Jun 8, 2015
  3. ardacumhur
    Amazing review, thank you!
    ardacumhur, Jun 8, 2015
  4. Djinnenjous
    Wow. Just, [i]wow[/i]. As many others have said before me, THAT is what you call a review. You also made the X3 sound like a worthwhile investment to a guy who has been very happy with his DX90 since the day he first heard it.
    Djinnenjous, Jun 8, 2015
  5. castleofargh
    the EMI part is really cool. I often feel like I'm alone complaining about cellphones. when it's a very obvious problem in today's life. now I don't know about the gain setting. if you use 0.5V then there will not be a need or a point for high gain with most DAPs in most situations, so it becomes an unrealistic situation no? or maybe you're just trying to show the worst we could expect? anyway it's a billion time better than not talking about it, so thanks you for that. a side by side or ranking of sort of all the stuff you can test for EMI would be real cool.   I remember in my 40mn with the dx50(I hated so many things I sold it the same day) that it was a serious problem. not unexpected with such an empty plastic casing and relatively "strong" op amp, but still really bad in practice. the dx90 looks like they made the same mistake again. wouldn't some metal mesh stuff over the sensitive parts help for that? trying to go all Faraday's cage on the op amp? anyway, glad to see that FIIO did improve that part, the first x3 was also real bad at shielding from EMI and the X1 isn't amazing for that also (that's where the weak sony amps are cool).    thanks again for the review. very informative. as I like them ^_^.
    castleofargh, Jun 8, 2015
  6. CoiL
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    I think iBasso is in trouble soon... they need to lower DX50 & DX90 prices or release new DAP(s). I hope I have a chance to try X3 2nd gen in future and compare it to my modded DX50.   Oh... about the review... one of the best reviews I have seen in long time! So so in-depth and informative! Just amazing amount of energy spent on this with so short time! Hands down!
    CoiL, Jun 8, 2015
  7. dztman
    That is a REAL great review!
    dztman, Jun 8, 2015
  8. Brooko
    Great job Bram.  Thoroughly enjoyed reading it :)
    Brooko, Jun 8, 2015
  9. DuxR
    Great review. I wonder, has anyone had the chance to compare the X3ii to the Sony NWZ-A15? They are both around the same price however the Sony has much better battery life and UI, however when it comes to sound quality I'm not sure how they would compare.
    DuxR, Jun 8, 2015
  10. heyysanadiyom
    excellent review I have ever seen
    heyysanadiyom, Jun 8, 2015
  11. Arturoo123
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    Thanks for this awesome review
    Arturoo123, Jun 8, 2015
  12. Arturoo123
    Thanks! awesome review
    Arturoo123, Jun 8, 2015
  13. earfonia
    Thanks guys!   [user=419286]@PinkyPowers[/user] Honestly I don't remember much differences between the old X5 and X3ii. I remember X1 is a little smooth warm, and X5 to my memory has very good imaging and spaciousness, and a little oriented towards analytic sounding, but not yet analytic sounding. So I would say, to my memory, X3ii and X5 have more similarities than differences.
  14. earfonia
    [user=188025]@castleofargh[/user] I used 0.5 Vrms for the testing, as roughly a very high volume when using IEMs. Most of the time I measured my listening volume with IEMs is only around 100 - 200 mV, so 500 mV is already very loud for common IEMs. So, 500 mV could reflect very high volume in practical use with IEMs, so we could analyze how bad is IEM noise in daily use.   [user=162250]@DuxR[/user] I have several opportunity to try some Sony's DAP, wonderful sounding, basically I like them, but 2 players I tested, including the ZX1, has rather low maximum output voltage, of less than 0.6 Vrms. Enough for IEMs, but not high enough for some headphones and difficult to drive IEMs. For example, my HD25 SP @ around 60 ohms, sounds soft on Sony's DAP.   From my measurement: Sony NWZ-ZX1, max output: 0.59 Vrms, 1.56 ohms output impedance. Sony NWZ-F887, max output: 0.57 Vrms, 3.89 ohms output impedance.   Specification wise, Fiio X3ii is better.
  15. JEspina456
    That is the most impressive review I have ever read.  Details, analysis and opinion.  What more can you want?  Thank you for taking the time to write it.  I was unsure of the Fiio X3ii, leaning toward the X5, but now I have to think some more.
    JEspina456, Jun 8, 2015
  16. earfonia
    [user=399110]@JEspina456[/user] Thanks! X3ii is really a nice player, a steal for the price.
  17. howdy
    Really great review! Have you heard the hizids ap100? Which would you prefer?
    howdy, Jun 8, 2015
  18. hakushondaimao
    Man! You go DEEP! Incredibly informative and enjoyable read... well done!
    hakushondaimao, Jun 9, 2015
  19. earfonia
    Thanks guys!   [user=352657]@howdy[/user]  No, haven't got the chance to try Hidizs players.
  20. interpolate
    I own one however it seems that I have only have skimmed the surface of the potential. The part about using the DAC in 1-bit mode and using Foobar caught my attention. Fantastic stuff.
    interpolate, Jun 9, 2015
  21. dw1narso
    Your review and writing skill is a class of its own...  You make me want to jump and buy it.. :) ... if only my country currency is not this bad... :(   BTW, I personally prefer to have low line out level such the one here, if the signal could be clean enough.... even lower might be the better for some cases.... This would allow amplifier with analogue pot (which usually have tracking problem at its lowest settings) to perform it's best. It is also by "coincident" that some good amps (especially low/non-feedback discrete) could not be made with lower gain due to the inherent gain products (mu on tube or hfe on bipolar) of the selected devices.
    dw1narso, Jun 9, 2015
  22. earfonia
    [user=88019]@dw1narso[/user] Thanks! Yes you're right about external amp, I didn't think about it. Some amp and volume pot just perform better at higher gain or volume. In this case lower output voltage is an advantage.
  23. Thunderkiss
    Will be trading in my X3 1st gen to get this 2nd Gen. Thanks for the review :)
    Thunderkiss, Jun 9, 2015
  24. fiascogarcia
    That was the most awesome review!   I'm still a little confused about the use of the SPDIF coax output.  The cable appears to have a female input on the end. Does it require an adapter to use on an external DAC coax input?  Thanks!  And again, what a great review!
    fiascogarcia, Jun 9, 2015
  25. Beidatsch
    Wonderful and in depth review. This should be the bar by which players should be reviewed, sincerely thank you.
    Beidatsch, Jun 9, 2015
  26. 3 toes of fury
    [user=150501]@earfonia[/user]   Wow wow wow...amazing review!    Any thoughts on the overall sound quality vs the X1?  Im sure its better, but not sure if its worth the double dip for upgrade.   Thanks again so much for taking the time to share your review...its reviews like yours that make this such a wonderful site!
    3 toes of fury, Jun 9, 2015
  27. earfonia
    Thanks everyone!   [user=344740]@fiascogarcia[/user] The female RCA is meant for connection with coaxial RCA cable to DAC with SPDIF input.   [user=422575]@3 toes of fury[/user] Yes, X3ii is definitely better than X1. Worth the upgrade.
  28. Onix
    This is what I call a review. Amazing.
    Onix, Jun 9, 2015
  29. Light - Man
    Geat review Man! I will come back and read it in more detail.   I see you have Yahaha HPH 200 open-on-ears (I am a bit of a fan of) was thinking of getting ATH MSR7 as I need to get some closed cans as the wife is getting a bit angry with me! Are the MSR7 a big step up? Also thinking of Yamaha mt 220, any advice would be welcome?
    Light - Man, Jun 10, 2015
  30. DrSHP
    thanx for your excellent review. i have this unit too,but i can't understand meaning of ''Option to disable volume lock feature when screen is off.'' i can't lock my volume even when the screen is off,but i can unlock the other bottons.
    DrSHP, Jun 10, 2015
  31. zippersnapper
    Outstanding and very thorough review. Kudos !
    zippersnapper, Jun 10, 2015
  32. reddog
    That is a fantastic, extremely detailed review/ report on the fiio x 3 2nd gen. I am tempted to get the x3 2 2nd gen, some time soon.
    reddog, Jun 10, 2015
  33. earfonia
    Thanks guys! [user=421954]@Light - Man[/user] I'm a great fan of HPH-200 despite of its creaking headband :p MSR7 sound signature is very different, more clarity and detail, but to my ears HPH-200 tonal balance is more balanced. So, different, but not a step up. I haven't heard MT-220, but it looks interesting.   [user=421662]@DrSHP[/user] really? on my X3ii, I cannot operate the volume when screen is off. I've feedback this to Fiio, they said it is a safety feature.
    earfonia, Jun 10, 2015
  34. 7keys
    Very good review, I had my eye on a X3 2nd gen and this review helped me make make my decision.    Thanks!
    7keys, Jun 12, 2015
  35. earfonia
    [user=332983]@7keys[/user] you're welcome!
    earfonia, Jun 13, 2015
  36. DrSHP
    fiio x3 2nd gen has 3 different lock screen mode in system settings i use mode 3 and when the screen is off can change volume/pause/next and previous buttons
    DrSHP, Jun 13, 2015
  37. OneTallGuy
    What a fabulous and informative review. I have read most of the 2nd gen reviews and none come close to your detail and quality.  Thank you.   You solved one question that has kept from purchasing this unit.  Can I put my entire digital collection on a 128 g card and use it all?  I kept reading about the 5800 limit, I have over 8000 songs, and I would not buy it unless it could read and use the entire list.  Your paragraph:   But please take note, that this [b]5800 capacity is 'Media Library' capacity, and not X3 2nd gen file browsing capacity[/b]. The file browser is not limited by the media library capacity. We can have 128GB storage with much more than 5800 songs, and we can browse them all using the file browsing feature. Since most of my song collections are folder organized, I never used the media library so far, and always use file browser to select songs. So the 5800 limitation is not relevant if we browse our songs using file browser. But I could imagine if in the future the playlist management has been much improved, more will start using the media library function, and with 128GB storage, the 5800 capacity will need to be expanded.   solved this concern.   Thanks for you time and report.
    OneTallGuy, Jun 14, 2015
  38. Hi 5
    Very, very, good review! Thanks!! =-D
    Hi 5, Jun 14, 2015
  39. freoFender
    Great review @earfonia. Just joined head-fi.org (been a long time reader) to thank you for your excellent X3 review. Can't wait for my X3 to arrive, ordered before reading your review but even more happy with my purchase now...
  40. freoFender
  41. freoFender
    Great review earfonia. Just joined head-fi.org (been a long time reader) to thank you for your excellent X3 review. Can't wait for my X3 to arrive, ordered before reading your review but even more happy with my purchase now...
  42. earfonia
    [user=421662]@DrSHP[/user] thanks for your feedback! I tried all the 3 screen lock modes, but my X3ii volume still disabled when the screen off. Which firmware release you use on your X3ii?   [user=275124]@OneTallGuy[/user] , [user=414055]@Hi 5[/user] , [user=427897]@freoFender[/user] , You're most welcome!
    earfonia, Jun 18, 2015
  43. DrSHP
    hi.i use fw1.1 this is from fiio.net : X3 2nd gen/X1/X5 lockscreen modes explained A: In any lockscreen mode, pressing the power button locks/unlocks the screen. While the screen is locked:In Lockscreen mode 1: only volume buttons respond; press briefly to change volume, hold to skip a track In Lockscreen mode 2: in addition to the above, the OK button in the center responds; press it briefly to play / pause / unpause playback; hold it to unlock the screen. In Lockscreen mode 3: in addition to the above, the previous / next buttons at the bottom respond. Press briefly to skip to the previous / next tracks; no response on holding down these buttons in lockscreen mode
    DrSHP, Jun 18, 2015
  44. earfonia
    [user=421662]@DrSHP[/user] Thanks a lot for the info! I probably pressed the volume button too long. Will try to press it briefly to change volume.
    earfonia, Jun 18, 2015
  45. EagleWings
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    Apart from the review itself being meticulous, what I appreciate even more is your presentation and the attention to detail in the photos. Just wanted to let you know that it didn't go unnoticed.
    EagleWings, Sep 23, 2015
  46. EagleWings
    Apart from the review itself being meticulous, what I enjoyed even more is your presentation and the attention to detail in the photos. Just wanted to let you know that, it didn't go unnoticed.
    EagleWings, Sep 23, 2015
  47. reddog
    That was a superb review, just loaded with so much information. Thanks again for writing such a good, informative review.
    reddog, Sep 23, 2015
  48. earfonia
    [user=431678]@vishnusiddharth[/user] & [user=393296]@reddog[/user] Thank you!
    earfonia, Oct 5, 2015
  49. reddog
    That was a great l, very informative review. I will re-read it several times to grok all the information.
    reddog, Oct 5, 2015
  50. athlon7750
    How does the line out sound compared to the iDSD micro? Thank you.
    athlon7750, Jan 15, 2016