nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. Jeff Y
    $99 on Schiit.com :)
  2. GearMe
    Love my M/M stack; great value! Guess I'm fortunate I don't need a Wyrd for my computer but sounds like it's great product for the application. That said, $99 on Schiit's site is [i]not[/i] a real number; especially if you're 'on the fence' about an item...like 'does the Wyrd really make a difference for my system?' Why? [b]Schiit direct[/b] -- [i][b]plus $10.55 shipping[/b][/i] in US for 5 day FedEx. So really the cost of the Schiit direct product is $109. And...'If you don’t like your Wyrd, you can send it back for a refund, [b][i]minus 15% restocking fee[/i][/b], within [b][i]15 days[/i][/b] of receiving it.' So, if you return it (within 15 days) and don't want another Schiit product, then it cost you $25 ($10 shipping + $15 Restocking) more than the Amazon Fulfilled option to see if it works in your setup. Not sure if the Restocking Fee waiver for 'moving up the line' applies to the Wyrd though. Since Schiit is very customer friendly, my guess is they'd let you do this if you bought a more expensive product to replace the Wyrd. In any case, it'd be good to know prior to purchase since there really is no 'up the line' product. [b]Amazon Fulfilled[/b] -- [b][i]Free shipping[/i][/b] (2 days for Prime Member) and 'Amazon also handles all customer service and product returns for "Fulfilled by Amazon" items.' [i]Still[/i] prefer to buy Schiit on Amazon.
    GearMe, May 30, 2015
  3. Jeff Y
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    ^True that. I like their website :) All that aside though, compared to other USB interfaces out there that usually cost around $3000+, $110 isn't nearly so bad when it really does its job. Amazing Schiit. Period.
  4. Jeff Y
    ^True that. Funny how you wrote "Schiit direct" haha. I like their website :) All that aside though, compared to other USB interfaces out there that usually cost around $3000+, $110 isn't nearly so bad when it really does its job. Amazing Schiit. Period.
  5. ashutoshp
    I've tried a few and these interfaces are quite glitchy. I had a Focusrite 2i4 and amongst other things, my loudspeakers would emit a scary loud pop each time the PC was powered up/down. Maybe I should have tried the Wyrd.    How, if at all, is the Wyrd different from the Audioquest Jitterbug that's about to be released?
  6. tyco
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    @[user=389828]ashutoshp[/user]   I think that might just be the interface discharging through your outputs. I had a USB powered DAC for my desktop monitors and if I didn't power off the monitors before I unplugged/powered down, I would get a scary pop. The Wyrd should keep the power on your Focusrite 2i4 and eliminate the pop. You could try a cheap powered USB hub and that should have the same effect keeping the power on. But if you record music with that DAC then you might get noise with a cheap hub.   But in response to your question, I'm trying to piece together info from forums so don't take my wyrd on it... word on it, but I think a major difference is that the Jitterbug doesn't reclock the signal whereas the Wryd does. Not sure what that means for the signal, other than it is affected in some way.  Also the Jitterbug seems to grow in its effect with more of them attached, kinda neat but that could end up costing you more than the Wyrd.    I have to edit my review too because after more use of the Wyrd I have noticed that the sound is slightly different, it doesn't seem to be a bad thing, yet. The best way I can say it now is that it tightens up the signal, i.e. the bass is not as bloated and the volume seems to be less dynamic. I can't seem to tell if that's how the artists wanted their tracks (my test tracks) in the first place, or if these are unintended effects. I do always default to plugging in the Wyrd, though. Those are my initial thoughts just after a few days, in a few weeks I should have something better to say.
  7. tyco
    @[user=389828]ashutoshp[/user]   I think that might just be the interface discharging through your outputs. I had a USB powered DAC for my desktop monitors and if I didn't power off the monitors before I unplugged/powered down, I would get a scary pop. The Wyrd should keep the power on your Focusrite 2i4 and eliminate the pop. You could try a cheap powered USB hub and that should have the same effect keeping the power on. But if you record music with that DAC then you might get noise with a cheap hub.   But in response to your question, I'm trying to piece together info from forums so don't take my wyrd on it... word on it, but I think a major difference is that the Jitterbug doesn't reclock the signal whereas the Wryd does. Not sure what that means for the signal, other than it is affected in some way.  Also the Jitterbug seems to grow in its effect with more of them attached, kinda neat but that could end up costing you more than the Wyrd. Another thing to consider is that the Jitterbug is just a USB adapter and draws power from the USB plug, whereas the Wyrd "rejuices" the signal.   I have to edit my review too because after more use of the Wyrd I have noticed that the sound is slightly different, it doesn't seem to be a bad thing, yet. The best way I can say it now is that it tightens up the signal, i.e. the bass is not as bloated and the volume seems to be less dynamic. I can't seem to tell if that's how the artists wanted their tracks (my test tracks) in the first place, or if these are unintended effects. I do always default to plugging in the Wyrd, though. Those are my initial thoughts just after a few days, in a few weeks I should have something better to say.
  8. ashutoshp
    [user=426817]@tyco[/user] Thanks for this. I tried a couple hubs and they were noisy until I went to the $40 versions :) Cheers for the re-juicing info. Is this different from what is referred to as what an 'asynchronous' DAC would do? On a separate note, I look forward to your update.
  9. tyco
    @[user=389828]ashutoshp[/user]   I tried a cheapy $10 USB hub to kill the noise and was so disappointed I said to myself screw it just by the damn Wyrd. Good to know $40 is the sweet spot.   Well this might be beyond the scope of my knowledge, but I know that "async" (2 way communication with a device controlled refresh of the clock speed, i.e. more, less or equal to 1ms refresh) is a variable form of "adaptive" (2 way communication every 1ms to adjust clock) which is in turn better than "synchronous" (1 way).    The Wyrd re-powers cleanly and then re-clocks/repeats the incoming signal. The Jitterbug is kinda a "black box" to me. I have no idea what's going on inside but it's something good. Audioquest doesn't mention any clock management, so I think they focus more on the resonances in the signaling, I could go further into this but I am not entirely sure and do not want to misinform anyone who might read this. They both accomplish the same thing, but they go about it in different ways. Hope that helps.    I may pick one up when they go on sale to test it out against the Wyrd. I like the portability that the Jitterbug offers, and the fact that just about any USB device will have beneficial effects on the audio quality. Someone posted somewhere that the Jitterbugs will be available June/July, so if you might have to wait a bit if your trying to grab one.
  10. Jeff Y
    I would go for the WYRD instead of the jitterbug because of the dimensions of the WYRD. Yea.. granted some people don't care about it but larger physical space inside of the component is usually better for the sound IMO. Also, I would be scared to use the Jitterbug since it's plugged into the usb output then another cable would be connected to the Jitterbug so the weight might be a little hard on the USB. It's just somethings that I've thought...
    Jeff Y, Jun 1, 2015
  11. TsukiNick
    You could alleviate the issue by using a ground loop isolator for 3.5mm or RCA for a lot less.  WYRD is only recommended if you want to make a Schiitscraper (I've seen a huge one consisting of 2 WYRDs, a Loki, A magni, a Vali, a Modi, a SYS)
    TsukiNick, Jun 1, 2015
  12. ashutoshp
    [user=379256]@Jeff Y[/user] you're right about that. I used to connect my Dragonfly directly to the USB port and is now bent. I would have to use an extension.
  13. Jeff Y
    [user=389828]@ashutoshp[/user] , Audioquest does make some nice extender-cable from the USB to USB DAC but to buy that would mean spending even more $$$. Talking about Dragonfly bending USB ports, LH Labs's Geek Out looks insanely dangerous in comparison. Bigger, and a solid steel body = bent usb for sure I guess.   Schiit WYRD does require a USB cable, in fact, two. Still, I just find it psychologically more secure to have a separate component that has a AC adapter as well. Or I may be just crazy :)
    Jeff Y, Jun 1, 2015
  14. TsukiNick
    Also if your PC has bad grounding or what not an Optical DAC is going to alleviate that as well, so an optical Modi would be a cheaper better solution.
    TsukiNick, Jun 2, 2015
  15. ashutoshp
    [user=345280]@TsukiNick[/user] I have one PC with the three pronged plug and one without. Which would be better? The Optical DAC reminded me of a crazy discovery I made just last night. Apparently, one of my PCs (Lenovo Y470p) has an optical out that is shared with the headphone out (red light from port) like the Macbooks I believe. I have had the PC for 4 years but never knew. But I also recenlty performed a fresh install of Windows 7 so maybe the OEM (Lenovo)  did not activate it.
    ashutoshp, Jun 2, 2015
  16. cemetery
    I was wondering myself if this would actually eliminate this noise. I ended up getting a USB-ISO USB isolator from Amazon that seemed to do the trick.
    cemetery, Jun 2, 2015
  17. Wildcatsare1
    Darko just ended his T.H.E. SHOW Schiit summary with a note that the inventor of the Jitterbug at Audioquest will not listen to his home rig without the Wyrd now. Most of those who dis' the Wyrd are operating on theory and have't actually heard one n their system.   Nice review, thanks.
    Wildcatsare1, Jun 2, 2015
  18. leeperry
    Top notch piece of gear <3
    leeperry, Jun 3, 2015
  19. Krutsch
    If you have USB issues, you need to solve them by removing competing devices from the same bus (i.e. move your DAC cable to a port with nothing else internal using the same bus). Period. Using a Wyrd or an iFi USBPower will do nothing to solve these issues. And, if you aren't experiencing drop-outs/pops/clicks/screeching sounds... you don't need one of these. The Wyrd doesn't even isolate your USB connection from electrical noise (i.e. doesn't provide galvanic isolation). And, yes, I have a Wyrd and I also have an iUSBPower; they are both nothing-ball.
    Krutsch, Jun 7, 2015
  20. tyco
    That is unfortunate that this was not a solution to your problem. I know for a fact that the Wyrd has an effect on my audio signal. I have done everything under the golden sun to eliminate the glitchy sound without making any purchases and nothing was successful. However, I did find the source of my problem and that was my PSU ( I have a 6 year old gaming laptop with a gigantic PSU ). If I unplug the PSU the noise disappears. I even took steps to remedy that, but since a PSU is absolutely necessary then, at the moment, the Wyrd is necessary. I don't think the Wyrd is a "fix-all" solution for USB noise, but for some it has helped. So I still recommend it. Perhaps I will give a galvanic isolator a shot, since I've read those have been known to work.
    tyco, Jun 7, 2015
  21. catspaw
    Thank Odin you clarified that thor was not the one who build it! :D.
    catspaw, Jun 8, 2015