nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. osiris1
    Excellent write-up! it's a wonderful device
    osiris1, Apr 28, 2015
  2. MattTCG
    Very nice reivew as usual sir. I would mirror your thoughts about this fine performer. Slightly underrated and overlooked around here. As for your wish list..the nano comes close to meeting your size request.
    MattTCG, Apr 29, 2015
  3. Androb
    I love it! I would pay this price, maybe even more for only the dac performance. When it also includes support for dsd and also a really powerful amp it truly is a great performer for the price! I agree on every point of your review!
    Androb, Apr 29, 2015
  4. LoryWiv
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    Terrific review, ClieOS! I own the iDSD and enjoy it immensely, but you've taugfht me a few things tha may help me get even more out oif it. Thanks for a great and thorough review.
  5. LoryWiv
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    Terrific review, ClieOS! I own the iDSD and enjoy it immensely, but you've taugfht me a few things that may help me get even more out oif it. Thanks for a great and thorough review.
  6. LoryWiv
    Terrific review, ClieOS! I own the iDSD and enjoy it immensely, but you've taugfht me a few things that may help me get even more out it. Thanks for a great and thorough review.
  7. alancronin
    Very thorough review, it packs a lot of features for a portable.
    alancronin, Apr 29, 2015
  8. gr8soundz
    Great review! Thanks ClieOS. (I actually had a few of those Sony palm pilots years ago).
    gr8soundz, Apr 29, 2015
  9. MusicMate
    Great review, Thanks! Now i feel the need to test it myself..
    MusicMate, Apr 30, 2015
  10. h1f1add1cted
    Best micro iDSD review ever.
    h1f1add1cted, May 3, 2015
  11. jexby
    cheers ClieOS!  stellar writing, and after owning iDSD micro for awhile- very spot on review.
    jexby, May 6, 2015
  12. Roscoeiii
    Super review. Out of curiosity, what would you consider a top-tier amp? And what do these amps have that the Micro iDSD lacks?
    Roscoeiii, May 6, 2015
  13. SonicWarrior
    Excellent review, ClieOS. If I have to compensate for a slightly leaner amp, would adding a micro iCan would help (of course it won't be portable)? Or any other tube or amp suggestions
    SonicWarrior, May 6, 2015
  14. ClieOS
    [user=77217]@Roscoeiii[/user] For portable: O2, Meier Audio StepDance (and quire possibly QuickDance), and FiiO E12DIY (and to a lesser extent, E12A). There are just too many portable amps I have not tried, so the above isn't exclusive.   [user=411836]@SonicWarrior[/user] Micro ICan is an excellent choice.
    ClieOS, May 6, 2015
  15. earwaxxer
    Yep - accurate review from my experience. USB digital audio has certaninly blossumed!.
    earwaxxer, Jul 29, 2015
  16. osiris1
    [user=11725]@ClieOS[/user] do you think the Aune B1 is a good match for this?
    osiris1, Jul 29, 2015
  17. ClieOS
    Good match as in micro iDSD feeding into B1? Unfortunately I think micro iDSD's amp, while not the greatest, is still more solid performance wise over B1. As a standalone amp and subjectively speaking, I'll say B1 is better sounding - but only in the case when the headphone is not demanding and doesn't affect by high output impedance.
    ClieOS, Jul 29, 2015
  18. osiris1
    ok... thanks! was thinking of feeding iDSD into B1.
    osiris1, Jul 30, 2015
  19. Tunkejazz
    Hi! Great review! When used as standardlone dacs through the rca output, is the micro idsd much (or any?) better than the nano idsd when playing standard 44k/16bits files?
    Tunkejazz, Sep 18, 2015
  20. ClieOS
    [user=422820]@Tunkejazz[/user] The biggest difference between the RCA line-out of nano vs. micro iDSD to me is soundstage. While nano's soundstage is plenty good, micro has a very wide, open-ended soundstage. Because of the smaller soundstage, nano's overall texture is more compacted and can sound slightly warmer when compared to micro. That being said, I'll say both are quite excellent. If you have no need for the extra features offered by micro, I think nano by itself is more than good enough as a line-out source.
    ClieOS, Sep 18, 2015
  21. Tunkejazz
    Thanks! I have a nano, but I am using it as a standalone dac for my Project Ember amp.
    Tunkejazz, Sep 20, 2015
  22. HiFiChris
    "While the amp section is excessively powerful and can drive even fairly inefficient planar magnetic headphone to quite a good level, [b]it has a noticeably drier and brighter sound signature with some of the texture over lower mid to bass range missing.[/b]" ^^^ And that's the part where I started to smile and got really interested in the Micro iDSD, as that's the kind of signature I personally really like. Really excellent review as well, by the way!
    HiFiChris, Jan 26, 2016
  23. JUGA
    did the X-Bass function works?  if yes - can you here difference? we have 4 unit and in all 4 devices X-Bass das not works. There is no difference between switch off and switch on.
    JUGA, Mar 13, 2016
  24. ClieOS
    [user=442626]@JUGA[/user] Yes, it works perfectly fine. You can see the XBass graph in the review showing how it works as I measured it myself. I think the chance of 4 units not working is very slim - it is more likely either you didn't hear it (*human are more senstative to mid-bass, around 250Hz to 500Hz, but Xbass is strongest at sub-bass, well under 100Hz), or perhaps the headphone you used already has too little or too much bass and such the XBass effect becomes less noticeable (as it either doesn't add enough to the sub-bass region or simply get over-flooded by strong mid-bass).
    ClieOS, Mar 13, 2016
  25. yuping
    [user=11725]@ClieOS[/user] if the micro idsd is to feed into an amplifier, which one provide better sounding: O2 or Micro ICAN? Thanks a lot!
    yuping, Apr 29, 2016
  26. ClieOS
    [user=450877]@yuping[/user] O2 and micro iCAN is pretty much on par when it comes to SQ, but one thing that gives micro iCAN the edge is its 3D Holographic Sound and Xbass. Between the two, I am more inclined to recommend micro iCAN first. Better yet, get the newer micro iCAN SE as it is as good as the regular iCAN, but with a lot more power.
    ClieOS, Apr 29, 2016
  27. roladyzator
    [user=11725]@ClieOS[/user] How does micro idsd compare to Audiotrak Dr. Dac 3? Is it worth paying extra for the iDSD?    I am looking for an upgrade from Fiio E10k to drive KRK KNS 8400 and DT150.   FiiO sounds a little dry to me with KRK and a bit muddy in the bass and dull in the treble on DT150. I expect an overall increase in resolution and detail retrieval, soundstage size. I expect an overall increase in resolution and detail retrieval, soundstage size. Of course I never experienced hi end sound so I don't know what to expect.
    roladyzator, Aug 1, 2016
  28. ClieOS
    [user=46234]@roladyzator[/user] Dr. DAC 3 is a solid DAC/amp, but if budget isn't a major issue, I'll always recommend micro iDSD first. It is just a step up from Dr. DAC 3. However, I never listened to KRK or DT180 before and can't comment on how they will behave on iDSD or Dr. DAC3.
    ClieOS, Aug 2, 2016