nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. Ripvanlink
    Great review! One comment... Being an (ex) New Yorker, I recognize the AR logo as being identical to the one I would see on speakers made by this very company (at least I think it's the very same one, same name, etc.). I used to go through the terminal at the famous Grand Central Station and there would be AR with their own display room. This was back in the early to mid 60s and I was in my teens. I would go in there and invariably be treated to Jazz or Classical music and, at least at the time, being impressed with the sound reproduction. Of course, things have changed between then and now and imagine the sound quality and technical prowess has grown with the times and perhaps I wouldn't be quite as impressed now.
    Ripvanlink, Apr 10, 2015
  2. mochill
    great review br
    mochill, Apr 11, 2015
  3. mochill
    bro^^^^:sweat_smile:
    mochill, Apr 11, 2015
  4. bmichels
    hanjks. Very nice write up, but for me:  NO Digital-out = NO sales.
    bmichels, Apr 11, 2015
  5. dnun8086
    Thanks guys :). Maybe a future model hey [user=341957]bmichels[/user]. By the way I do remember a friend saying he had heard of Acoustic Research but this was going back about 50 years so may well have been them down in New York humm interesting.
    dnun8086, Apr 11, 2015
  6. ExiledHearts
    great review bro!
    ExiledHearts, Apr 11, 2015
  7. robfol
    This is the same original company from 1952, been through many owners. Now a subsidiary of the Voxx Corp and being rebooted a a 21st Century high-end digital brand.
    robfol, Apr 15, 2015
  8. Ripvanlink
    Well, evidently they have managed to maintain a high quality profile, even with the ownership changes. I often, however, confuse them with Acoustic Research, a company that made excellent tube amps back in the day. Anyone here old enough to remember them? I'd like to say those were sacred times for me in that store in Grand Central Station. They always welcomed me to listen and it helped form a foundation for my present hi-fi hobby!
    Ripvanlink, Apr 16, 2015
  9. vnmslsrbms
    Acoustic Research is still alive and kicking.  Their brand is doing much better than Audio Research.  Their audio equipment is still held in high (price wise too) regard.
    vnmslsrbms, Apr 22, 2015
  10. ebjarrell
    Hmmmmmm, I wonder if this would sound better than my Sony NWZ-A847?  :P
    ebjarrell, Sep 22, 2015
  11. Ripvanlink
    Based on this fantastic and thorough review, I would guess it beats the pants off the Sony!
    Ripvanlink, Sep 22, 2015
  12. peacewalker215
    [user=167853]@Ripvanlink[/user] Actually I'm still looking after my grandpa's AR3 pair of loudspeakers, which was purchased in 1967. Awesome pair if you are a jazz/blues lover.
    peacewalker215, Dec 21, 2015
  13. AR-Voice
    Comments from Michael Mercer on Occupy Hi-Fi   "A most-welcome surprising stunner has been Acoustic Research's AR-M2 DAP. It's large, beautiful screen (responsive), sturdy and sleek build, and its powerfully musical headphone amp make this DAP the one I'd buy if I could afford it right now. This would be the DAP I'd take with me if I only had room for one on a trip. It streams TIDAL, Spotify, and Amazon Prime Music, plus handles hi-rez files. It's got a smooth volume knob that makes dialing the sound-in a breeze, and a straight-forward dedicated 3.5mm line-out for use as a player anywhere. I didn't even know AR was in the DAP game. But they've produced a magnificent package in the AR-M2."
    AR-Voice, Jul 11, 2016
  14. gsd105
    Well its been a long journey and thanks to this review ive found audio nirvana. Growing up with top end hifi has been a privilege and a joy. After many years out of the audiophile scene, i decided to try the idea of using my phone as a transport and a separate amp/dac. My first foray into the unknown was with the fiio e18 Kunlun. It sounded great compared to my phones wolfson dac and lifted the veil of muddiness offf my recordings. I knew i could better this and the hunt was on for a better dac and amp. Enter the Sony PH2 again it moved the bar another notch and whilst the e18 matched it on clarity it could not create the soundstage that was presented in front of me via the PH2. Ok some would say stop there and enjoy what you have got but pandoras box was sitting there saying OPEN ME. I had read this guys review and just had to dip my toe into the water to see what all the fuss was about. After parting with a large amount of well earned money i bought the Acoustic Research M2. This was about to change my perception about DAPS full stop. Before i listened to my purchase i borrowed a Astell and Kern AK240 to give me a taste of audiophile royalty. Ok here we go.  Make no mistake, the ak240 is fantastic and delivers the goods in aplomb but the M2 is so much better in many ways. The soundstage of the M2 is so special and when used with either LCD-2 or HD800/700, it raises the bar by creating not just a space but a chasm that you could close your eyes and physically see the universe that is set out before you. Another plus point of the M2 is the point of focus of instruments or vocals placed in your universe. Again close your eyes and the instruments and vocals are placed out in there own space with such precision to shame a architect. Im not saying that the ak240 is bad but i couldn't recreate the emotion that i felt with the M2. Very few HiFi components have stirred such emotion in me. The last item that had this effect on me was my Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage with a McIntosh C2500 combo and a musical fidelity Nuvista cd player. That bit of kit got me back into hifi and i owned it all until 5 years ago when i moved house and decided to down size. Since then ive been trying to find a portable solution to my lavish tastes and now ive found it. If i had not read the above review from dnun8086 i would have been still been wasting money on different solutions and getting nowhere. A word of warning though. Dont expect to play games or facebook or whats app on this machine, yes its android but its scaled down to do one thing and do it well and that its to produce music to such a high degree of accuracy and detail. Dont skimp on your headphones either, the analogy i use is if you had a Bugatti Veyron, you wouldn't use budget tyres on it. This unit deserves to be listened to and please compare and you will be astounded. Its a audiophile dap full stop. Astell and kern need to give Acoustic Research the keys to the castle ,its time is over. The king is dead...
    gsd105, Aug 3, 2016
  15. dnun8086
    Wow thanks for your comment and I was glad I could help out with you making a decision and open you up to a whole new world of audio again. I love this community because that is what we are about at the heart of it, great sound and that's just what I feel the M2 offers up. Thanks again for commenting!
    dnun8086, Aug 3, 2016
  16. bcarr112281
    Hi, dnun8086 -   I notice you've sold your M2; have you found a better DAP? What are your thoughts on the Questyle QP1R?
    bcarr112281, Oct 17, 2016