nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. FastAndClean
    AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2 is amazing dac amp combo for the price, with big soundstage and great dept to the sound.
    FastAndClean, Feb 23, 2015
  2. jnorris
    Compared to on-board audio, which was fraught with buzzes, hums and static, this device was better by leaps and bounds. Compared to other DACs, including the iBasso DX-50, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and VRM box, Steinberg UR22 and the RadioShack optical DAC, differences were minimal, but the form factor of the Dragonfly was much friendlier.
  3. jnorris
  4. jnorris
    Sorry about the double post...
  5. Nimbu
    I agree the form factor and build quality are of high standard. I just don't hear it in the sound.
    Nimbu, Feb 23, 2015
  6. jnorris
    As always, YMMV!
  7. KaminKevCrew
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    I just bought one of these little things, and the sound difference is incredible for me. Could it be that you aren't using very high bitrate audio? Also, what music do you listen to? It could have to do with the quality of the mastering. I love it though. Review will be forthcoming form me anyway!
  8. KaminKevCrew
    I just bought one of these little things, and the sound difference is incredible for me. Could it be that you aren't using very high bitrate audio? Also, what music do you listen to? It could have to do with the quality of the mastering. I love it though. Review will be forthcoming from me anyway!
  9. Nimbu
    Variety of 320kbps to WAV files. I listen to a lot of electronic music (house, techno, tech-house). I know the music well, so i know what to listen for. i guess it's a subjective experience anyway.   I've noticed that it makes low quality sound significantly worse (low bitrate tracks sound way harsher through the DragonFly)
    Nimbu, Mar 3, 2015
  10. KaminKevCrew
    I agree with you on that point about low bitrate music. The thing in my experience about electronic (Which I love, by the way) is that it tends to have a lower resolution than many types of music that use instruments, because the source material that they are pulling up to create their songs has a pretty low quality to begin with. It does, of course depend on whom you are listening to though.
  11. Nimbu
    I agree with you on that, although i do listen to a lot of artists who produce their music to a high standard (Pantha Du Prince, John Tejada, Dominik Eulberg - to name a few)   I find that older electronic music and mix cds tend to suffer more from poor sound quality.
    Nimbu, Mar 3, 2015
  12. Light - Man
    I totally agree with Nimbu I also was totally underwhelmed and that's putting it mildly!
    Light - Man, Apr 2, 2015
  13. Svperstar
    I have been into headfi since 2004 and heard many different setups and the Dragonfly is amazing for its price, far and above my MacBook Pro. Have I heard higher quality? Of course, but for like 3x more $. The dragonfly is amazing for what it is.
    Svperstar, Sep 2, 2015
  14. canali
    i agree....lots of hype but didn't impress me all that much....guess i'll try something else iFi looks interesting, so does Geekout v2..or the schiit vali/modi combo
    canali, Dec 13, 2015
  15. Nimbu
    So almost three years later and i still think it's an overrated DAC. I recently acquired some NightHawks and they sound much better through the Macbook - with the Dragonfly they sound rather thin. The Dragonfly is a terrible DAC!!
    Nimbu, Jan 18, 2018