nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. purplegoat
    What other headphones are you comparing these to in the price range? Have you tried the HD280?
    purplegoat, Dec 2, 2014
  2. avitron142
    No, but I've tried a number of other sennheiser's.   From what I'm hearing though, the HD280 is a DJ headphone - by definition that usually means bassy and unbalanced. The 8400 is perfectly balanced because they're needed for studio purposes. Not to mention the 280's are supposedly pretty uncomfortable after a few hours. In contrast, the KRK's... well, if you read my review, you know what I'm getting at.
    avitron142, Dec 2, 2014
  3. avitron142
    What am I comparing these too? Well, basically just any other headphone around $100 or less. I can't list all of them, but I've listened to a few.
    avitron142, Dec 2, 2014
  4. GearMe
    The 8400s are definitely good at details for the $$. That said, I find them more fatiguing than my HD280s or my Aviators. BTW, while they're all south of $100, my Aviators were the least expensive, the most comfortable, and the best sounding in my opinion. To be honest, if I'm listening to music for the pure joy of it, I'd go with my Skullcandy Aviators over either of these. But don't take my word for it --- listen to Tyll & Jude...or better yet, listen to some Aviators! ;-) Tyll (if anything he thinks the Skullcandys have a little bass rolloff) "I spent a while comparing the Aviators with other strong competitors in it's category at large, including: the Audio-Technica ATH-M50; Sennheiser HD 280 Pro; Shure SRH840; Sony MDR-V6; Sennheiser HD 448; Shure SRH750DJ; and, Phiaton PS 500. Apart from the bass issues, [b][i]the Aviator bested all but the SRH840 to my ears in terms of a balanced sound.[/i][/b] The Aviators are solid performers in this category. "Wait ... wut? ... Skullcandy competitive in sound quality?" Jude Bring your high-bitrate or lossless music to bear on the Aviator (through your own rig), and I think you'll be very impressed. I certainly was...Again, the Aviator is extremely comfortable--I've since worn it for hours at a time, several times. And, most importantly, the Aviator sounds good. Excellent, in fact, for a $150.00 closed headphone...the Aviator excels at all musical genres I listen to (and that encompasses just about everything), which for me is one of the hallmarks of a headphone I can easily recommend, and so I will. When asked for an audiophile-quality full-size closed headphone in the sub-$200.00 price range, I've been first recommending SHURE's SRH-840. When asked that same question now, the Skullcandy Roc Nation Aviator will certainly be added to the list.
    GearMe, Dec 2, 2014
  5. avitron142
    The Skullcandy Aviators are known to have a clearer and more balanced sound than any of the other skullcandy headphones. Skullcandy's signature booming bass does not apply there. When I mentioned skullcandy, I meant the run-of-the-mill kind. Forgive me if I didn't elaborate.   Anyway I think the Aviator's don't have anywhere near the amount of detail that the KRK's have... but what do I know? I'd have to have another listening round with them to tell for sure. Also, I've heard complaints about durability and comfort.   The KRK's are fatiguing? Did you burn them in enough?
    avitron142, Dec 3, 2014
  6. purplegoat
    The HD280s actually seem dead neutral to me but I could be biased. Definitely the least bassy headphone I've used. Aviators I found lower resolution, bassier, muddy, overall less accurate. I think anyone attracted by what you've said about the 8400 here should also consider the 280 Pro, what you've described sounds very similar.
    purplegoat, Dec 3, 2014