nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. Jeff Y
    Tried it with LCD-3, LCD-XC, HD800, HD650, etc; just blew me away.
    Jeff Y, Mar 1, 2014
  2. smial1966
    Will the AK240 do justice to my apple earbuds? Just kidding, great review, but now I want one badly!
    smial1966, Mar 1, 2014
  3. warrenpchi
    Thanks [user=159805]@smial1966[/user]!  It surprised the heck out of us in that it is not just another expensive toy.  It's the real deal.  [user=379256]@Jeff Y[/user] knows what I mean, lol.
    warrenpchi, Mar 2, 2014
  4. kurochin
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    Thanks for the review. I've been thinking of scaling down ever since I got my first set of CIEMs (FitEar MH335DW). The way today's top CIEMs fare against flagship full-size headphones (and taking into account the rate of development going on in the CIEM world), I can honestly see myself with having just one set of them for home, work and travel and giving up "cans" altogether. That's why I'm in the market for a decent DAP and this AK240 has been on my "must try" list sice I picked up the FitEars. Only drawback is the astronimical price. I can justify getting one if I get rid of my current desktop setup, but what scares me is the fact that A&K will probably release an even better version in 12 - 18 months. It'll feel like I'm climbing out of the desktop rabbit-hole only to fall into the portable one.
    kurochin, Mar 2, 2014
  5. kurochin
    Thanks for the review. I've been thinking of scaling down ever since I got my first set of CIEMs (FitEar MH335DW). The way today's top CIEMs fare against flagship full-size headphones (and taking into account the rate of development going on in the CIEM world), I can honestly see myself with having just one set of them for home, work and travel and giving up full-sized headphones altogether. That's why I'm in the market for a decent DAP and this AK240 has been on my "must try" list since picking up the FitEars. Only drawback is the astronimical price, as you stated. I can justify getting it if I get rid of my current desktop setup, but what scares me is the fact that A&K will probably release an even better version in 12 - 18 months. It'll feel like I'm climbing out of the desktop rabbit-hole only to fall into the portable one.
    kurochin, Mar 2, 2014
  6. Ripvanlink
    Oh well, at least for the time being, I'll have to do with the X5....when it is available USA-wise...but...poor me! [NOT]!
    Ripvanlink, Mar 2, 2014
  7. Jeff Y
    Jerry Harvey was sitting in a JH audio booth next to 4 desks of 16 AK240s plus LCDs, HDs, Beyers, etc. Knew this is almost as good as it gets in an audio show.
    Jeff Y, Mar 3, 2014
  8. batteraziiz
    ....9....hours.... Yeesh. Great review, though.
    batteraziiz, Mar 3, 2014
  9. kh600rr
    just ordered one yesterday, can't wait to try this beast out...
    kh600rr, Mar 7, 2014
  10. TurbinePro
    interesting what a portable player the same price of my computer would sound like...
    TurbinePro, Mar 10, 2014
  11. Stonemanty
    I just got mine, so far I concur with everything stated above.  I'm using CIEM FitEar MH334s with them, I had the Fitear Silver cable changed to balanced.  While that was happening in the shop I carried on listening with LCD-XCs.  Fantastic detail and soundstage, great bass - everything.  Both units brand new too.  I prefer my FitEars to the LCD-XC though ;-)
    Stonemanty, Mar 18, 2014
  12. MarcadoStalker7
    The price is too high for what actually is this piece of brick.
    MarcadoStalker7, Mar 25, 2014
  13. warrenpchi
    [user=378670]@kurochin[/user], seems like you're home free.  The only pause I would have about making it a portable/desktop/office rig is that more demanding headphone may still need amplification.  But if you're going all CIEM, you're totally good to go.  And yes, there will always be a "better" one, but I'm taking a guess that it would be far more expensive as well.  [user=392224]@TurbinePro[/user], it would be quieter.  [user=336486]@Stonemanty[/user], are you listening to the AK240 in balanced mode now?  I just scored a balanced cable with a 2.5mm plug for my UERM at last week's SoCal meet.  Haven't had time to try it out yet, but just thinking about a AK240 --> balanced --> UERM makes me wet.
    warrenpchi, Mar 31, 2014
  14. zorin
    I read and read and read the reviews of this digital gizmo and I can not find proper specifications for it. There does not seem to be a 'line out' on this player/DAC. Does it have a line out or not ? If 'not' is the case then AK240 demonstrates the clinical insanity of its designers and never mind that it can even brew coffee.
    zorin, Apr 30, 2014
  15. warrenpchi
    [user=178645]@zorin[/user], there is a "line out" mode that you can enable within the settings.  Once you do that, it's just a matter of using the 3.5mm headphone jack for output. And in case anyone is interested, the review above was just translated into Russian:  [url=https://www.facebook.com/Audio360/posts/671249392943073]https://www.facebook.com/Audio360/posts/671249392943073[/url]
    warrenpchi, May 6, 2014