Periodic Audio Beryllium (Be)

4.53571/5,
  1. JP the Elder
    2 Be or not 2 Be? A Hate/Wait/Love Story in 3 Acts
    Written by JP the Elder
    Published Jun 15, 2019
    Pros - After 2 weeks run-in: Coherent, detailed, near-magical sound
    Light and easy to wear all day
    Keeps sounding better as your source and gear get better - anybody try these with a Chord M-Scaler and a DAVE?
    Cons - Captive Cable
    Cliff Notes Version
    After a horrible start and a very long time in training, these “Be-came” so good that I purchased 2 Be. “Be-cause” I never wanted to Be without. I also gave away several other iems “Be- cause” I no longer needed or wanted to listen to them. I think the Periodic Audio Be are one of the greatest bargains in audio at $300. Very Highly Recommended.
    The Be has a captive cable. I wish I could try my favorite cable with the Be, but cable swapping is not allowed. Maybe the next version of the Be will allow that.

Prologue
    Beryllium in speakers can really Be something very special. About 30 years ago, I heard beryllium as a tweeter in the Yamaha NS500 speakers. “Be-ing” a college student of modest means, I took extra yearbook photography assignments and at the end of the term, I took everything out of the piggy bank except the squeal and bought a pair. Yes, they were vapor deposition Be instead of solid Be foil, but my ears said they were the best sounding speakers that I could afford then and I voted for them with my paychecks and enjoyed them for years.

Today, several very well-regarded speakers for pro, home, and mobile use are blessed with beryllium tweeters. The Focal Solo 6be, Twin 6be, Trio 6be, Trio 11be, and SM9 are among the powered speakers that are generally well respected by the pro audio market. They cost between about $2,5k and $7k per pair. The Focal Utopia home series with beryllium tweeters tops out around $65k per pair. The Focal Utopia 6.5” separates car speakers are about $2k a pair. Then there are the very well-regarded Focal Utopia (open back $4k) and Stellia (closed back $3k) beryllium-based full-sized headphones. How could I resist risking $300 for some Be iems from Periodic Audio? Yes, I ordered them from Amazon and paid for them with my very own money.

Act 1: Hate
    As soon as I extracted my new Be from the well-designed packaging, I plugged them into my iPad Pro to make sure they were working. There was sound coming from both channels. This was important. I noticed that the inside of one channel, visible down the hole in the center of the eartip was blue and the other channel was red. This was an elegant way to determine right and left channel, except for in two instances: in the dark, or if you prefer the Comply eartips with the wax screen that would cover the red or blue parts. One reviewer went on a rant about this. I just applied a very simple and inexpensive fix. Since the outside of each golden endcap is nicely engraved with the Company logo, I put a few coats of my wife’s chip resistant clear nail polish on the right channel’s end cap so it is smooth and the left one has the factory engraving. Now I can easily distinguish the right from the left in whatever conditions allow my fingers to feel. (I added the fire engine red metallic later on the right channel to color code the outside.)

Since the Be’s were basically functional, I started training them (I loathe the term “breaking in” as that implies either that some kind of crime is happening, and the cops should stop it, or that something destructive is happening. I prefer the term “training” as in “Train up an iem in the way it should go . . .”). Initial training material included Celtic Woman “A New Journey”, Burmester “Art for the Ear”, Berlin/von Karajan “Holst: The Planets”, Michael Card “Starkindler” and Rick Wakeman’s “Merlin”. All were “.wav” files playing on my iPod pro set to repeat all with the volume about a solid forte (volume slider between the pause/play indicator and the next track indicator).
    Shortly thereafter, I nearly blew it. I know it’s not fair to listen critically after only 13 hours of training, but I couldn’t help myself. I rationalized that I should check the Be progress and target the remainder of the training for the problem areas (if any). So I stuck ‘em in my ears and plugged them into my Roon/Hugo2 and listened up.
    Here There Be Bass - good, solid, detailed, layered, one of the three best jobs with Enya Watermark bass lines I have ever heard in iems or headphones with my Hugo2 (Jerry Harvey Layla 2 with Silver Dragon cable tops the iem chart for me, and the Fostex 900 with hard-wired Silver Dragon cable for full size headphones). I could tell that for the bass, the Be has the potential to Be something very special.

Then I made the mistake of trying a men’s acappella choral group. In just a few notes, I was hit with an intensely negative emotional experience, best summed up by JRR Tolkein’s Gollum screaming: “Nassty, NASSSTY SSIBILANCESSS! It hurts Us! It Hurts Us! We hates it! We HATES IT!”

I had to turn off the tunes to shut Gollum up so I could think. (Screeching like that is my worst sonic nightmare. Like several fingernails scraping several chalkboards, it stops further audio processing until it is silenced.) After rational thought returned, I decided that the Be really needed more midrange and treble training to try and make the upper mids and lower treble listenable. I remembered that the Grado 10e’s and RHA MA750’s had similar, but not as glaring, mid/treble issues, which were solved by 5 to 7 days continuous training. I put the Be’s on double secret probation and added sibilance torture tracks like MercyMe’s album “Welcome to the New” on the training playlist. That album actually sounds fantastic through my reference system, but several other systems and less refined iems and headphones can make it screech bigtime.

Act 2: Wait
    Some people tell me that patience is a virtue. To which I usually reply “Yeah, right. I ain’t a doctor and I don’t need patience.” The iPad pro fed continuous music from the Training playlist to the Periodic Audio Be at a good solid forte level for another whole week. That’s 168 hours or half a fortnight. What Happened? I then went back to the Roon/Hugo2 rig and listened to my bass tests first:

Bass: Potential for excellence on both acoustic and electronic bass was shown using Major Mackerel’s “Conga Beat the Drum”, Dub Colussus’ “Dub Me Tender”, Kraftwerk “Radioactivity” and “Autobahn”, MercyMe “Welcome to the New” and “Greater,” Rick Wakeman’s “Merlin,” Mannheim Steamroller’s “Prelude/Chocolate Fudge”, Iona “Kells”, and Stephen Wiley’s “Glory to God” from DC Talk’s Yo Ho Ho CD. I say potential for excellence, because there was something about the decay and release of some bass motes that just did not sound quite right, but the bass attack, extension, and the body and layering of the bass notes and sostenuto was as near “spot on” as I have heard through any sub-$1,000 iem or headphone.

Mid/Treble: Much improved. Some sibilance remained, but at least the above tracks were listenable without cringing. Gollum’s screaming at me was gone. In general, the mids and treble were nowhere near as detailed, precise, coherent, involving, and attention-grabbing (in a good way) as the bass.

If you ever heard one of the ESS Heil or the Carver Amazing loudspeakers, this one-week-of-training sound was the exact opposite. The ESS folded motion transformer and the Carver ribbons made absolutely exquisite music for the midrange and treble, and both were paired with bass sections that sounded like elephants plodding through quicksand by comparison.

Conclusion: Continue Training for the second half of the fortnight. Support for this came from a few reviews on Head-Fi. One mentioned 200 hours and another said 250 hours were required. Note to Dan at Periodic Audio: Please emphasize that the Be really needs 10 to 14 days of continuous “Training” or “run-in” to unleash most of their potential. Listening too much before then could make you wish you never bought them.

Act 3: Love
    When music is being played or replayed very well, there is an emotional response. Breathing slows, as if the noise from breathing will shatter the magic of the moment. Heart rate will be affected, racing or slowing as the music carries it along. This is not just getting the notes right. One of my favorite conductors said that getting the notes right does not mean you are making music, you are just not making noticeable mistakes. The bass, midrange, and treble all need to be there at the right time and in the right proportions to permit the possibility of making music. The attack, body, and release of the notes must be right. This elusive ethereal confluence is difficult to achieve through playback, and usually can be fouind only while soaking up the original live event in person.

336. The number of very slow hours in two weeks or one fortnight. The only audio equipment that I have heard of needing more training than that is the new Spectral mono amp – it gets 500 hours before leaving the factory.
    I have really been enjoying about a month with my now fully trained Periodic Audio Be. Those bass tracks listed above found just about everything I think was missing. I place the Be third on my all-time bass list – behind the Astell&Kern/JH Audio Layla 2 with a Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 cable and the Fostex 900 (original with Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable “hacked” in). And the Be does this at 1/5 to 1/10 the price.

The mids/treble testing included most of the now quite enjoyable MercyMe Welcome to the New album. This, of course, sounded best on the reference rig. Then Quincy Jones’ “Back on the Block” from Burmester’s Art for the Ear. When the female soloist, full jazz choir, and instruments get into a very complex passage, it takes a very good playback chain to handle it without smearing or losing something. At times it can sound sibilant, but it is not. (This was on a Burmester compilation CD that was produced to help sell Burmester systems costing upwards of $100k.) On this track, I realized that Be were the first two letters in “Beautiful” for good reason. With my suspicion confirmed by hearing Radka Toneff “The Moon is a Harsh Mistress” from Art for the Ear, and Celtic Woman’s “The Sky and the Dawn and the Sun”, “Newgrange”, “Caledonia”, and “Mo Ghile Mear” on their A New Journey CD, I thought the Be were ready for the final testing.

The Be passed my final “goosebump” tests with great delicacy, insight, and that elusive emotional response. Cecelia Bartoli’s “Exsultate Jubilate” from her Mozart Portraits CD at the right volume is absolutely captivating – especially for the last two minutes. It was all there, the orchestra, the hall ambience, Cecelia’s voice soaring and reverberating from the walls. I rarely hear this reproduced this well. Bria Skonberg’s “Trust in Me” was suitably mesmerizing. Kaa (Jungle Book) could not have done it better. And finally, Celtic Woman’s “Over the Rainbow” from A New Journey brings four female voices: Chloe, Orla, Meav, and Hayley, each a soloist in her own right, into a four-part harmony that just begs for absolute silence to hear the voices interplay with each other and the hall harmonics and to follow the melody weaving from one voice to the next. I suppose that I breathed during the 2:38 of that track, but I do not remember. Yes, I still preferred the Layla 2’s presentation, but the Be handily bested most of the other iem’s I have heard.

Conclusion:
    2 Be or not 2 Be? Yes. I purchased 2 Be. With my very own money. Be-cause I never wanted to Be without. I think the Periodic Audio Be are one of the greatest bargains in audio at $300. I saw on the Periodic Audio website their Be B-Stock sale, I grabbed one for $149 due to some microscopic cosmetic flaw that I may notice someday.

The Be sound better and better as the source tracks and playback equipment get better. The same “.wav” file sounds better on the iPad pro than the iPhone 6 plus. There is a bigger quality jump moving from the iPad pro to the Roon on Dell/Chord Hugo2 and the really good gets much better with the reference rig: Furman 15 dmi/MIT power cords/Melco/Silver Dragon USB with or without Audioquest Jitterbug/Chord Hugo2.

I try to keep 2 dynamic and 2 balanced armature iems for comparison purposes in reviews, and to have something to take with me – because the Sennheisers and the Laylas do not leave the house. My current Dynamic Duo are the Periodic Audio BE and the Sennheiser ie 800s. Gone are the Nuforce 700 and 800 series, Klipsch 6 ii, Focal Sphear, and RHA MA-750.

The Etymotic ER4s and Grado 10e did not fare well against the Be. Be put them on probation and the Massdrop/NuForce EDC3 iem with an aftermarket Moon Audio Silver Dragon v1 cable sent them away for good.

Room for Improvement
    The Be has a captive cable. Please note that all 3 of my favorite headphones and both of my favorite balanced armature iems had the capability to swap cables and I installed my favorite Moon Audio Dragon (Black Dragon for the Utopias, and Silver Dragon for the NightOwls, Fostex 900’s, Astell&Kern/Jerry Harvey Layla 2’s and Massdrop/NuForce EDC3’s.)

I wish I could try my favorite cable with the Be, but cable swapping is not allowed. Maybe the next version of the Be will allow that. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Periodic Audio Be with a Moon Audio Silver Dragon would be a better all-around performer than the Sennheiser ie800s, at about half the cost, but we may never know.

Final Thoughts
    If you are thinking of making a roughly $300 “Sound Investment” for in-ear monitors and do not mind waiting a few weeks for them to be trained properly, please put these on your very short audition list. I also recommend that on that very short list should be the Massdrop/NuForce EDC3 three Knowles balanced armature iems for $100 (for the drop I was in from Drop.com) with another $200 for a Moon Audio 2-pin iem silver dragon v1 cable for about $200 from moon-audio.com. The combination makes the decision between the EDC3+Silver Dragon and a stock Be very difficult. The two iems do different things. I believe that different people will choose differently, but many will find that a close match, even though they have different strengths and different sound signatures.

Short Summary: I think the Periodic Audio Be are one of the greatest bargains in audio at $300. Now I know why Be are the first two letters in Beautiful.

Shorter Summary: Berylli-Yum. Delicious sound.
  2. calbear
    Periodic Audio Beryllium-My 1st review of anything
    Written by calbear
    Published May 28, 2019
    Pros - Excellent sound quality.
    Cons - Small miscellaneous nuances that can be overlooked.
    Hello all,
    First time reviewer, long time lurker...

I would first like to disclose that I won these from a local headphone meet, where Periodic Audio could not attend, but generously donated three of their headphones for a raffle: their Magnesium (Mg), Titanium (Ti), and Beryllium (Be). I was lucky enough to have my name pulled for the Be.

My second disclosure is that I have never done a review of headphones, and have only seriously delved into this hobby for less than two years. I was very much into home theater (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-d...-starfield-ceiling-stadium-configuration.html) as you can see in my personal DIY build thread, and have been into electrostatic and planar speakers for a decent amount of time. That segued into planar and electrostatic earspeakers, and hence my first headphone meet and ultimately these Berylliums.
    Therefore, my review will probably be considered by many as a novice, so please keep it in mind when reading my thoughts.
    The meet occurred back in November, and I said I would provide my thoughts shortly thereafter. Life has run away since then. To be honest, there has been much apprehension on my part for doing this review, as I am not comfortable with the verbiage and phrases of what I can hear. I just know what I like and what I don't.

There are multiple reviews of the Be headphones, with plenty of photos of the headphones and accessories (most of which look 10x better than I ever could take with my camera), so unfortunately this will only have words.

My first impression was to look at the bare-bones packaging. Great for the environment, simple, and to the point, which I appreciate. I'm not sure how much fanfare I need when opening up packaging when I know I'll probably never use it again (I felt the same about opening my first iPhone, counter to everyone else's thoughts about presentation... you'll never place your iPhone back in there, so packaging is not a big thing for me if it's not utilitarian). I do want to point out that a beautiful timepiece, with it's special box and presentation that would likely be used again and again to store is a different thing altogether (I'm big time into horology). This came with a nice gold circular tin storage container that I have found useful for storage. It already has dents and dings from being carried in my bag along with my keys and other paraphernalia, so I appreciate how this protects the headphones better than a soft bag. There was a plethora of ear inserts to fit literally any shaped ear, and I was lucky that the default ones fit me perfectly. The 1/4" adapter comes in handy when plugging into my home system. The double plug used in airplanes seemed out of place, as I haven't been on a plane with one of these inserts in many moons. I guess it's better to provide it and have me place it aside, than to not, so it's not a bad thing.

The cord is relatively thin and flimsy. I am not sure what should be expected in $300 buds, but these felt similar to the $10 ones I've bought from a number of brick and mortar stores. I haven't had any issues or concerns with being tough on them and breaking them the past 1/2 year, but they do give me pause over other brands I've owned which seemed to have more sturdy cords, and cost significantly less. I do have to say that the 5 year warranty does give me peace of mind that they will stand behind their product if it fails.

Immediately, I noticed the red color inside the headphone chamber as the light from the window hit it perfectly, as if it was spotlighting it. Initially, I thought it quite clever for them to do so, although in the past few months, I have found it more of a hindrance at night when I'm trying to listen to them in bed. I now realize that having a raised "R" on the outside of it, or some other indicator (like an inline mic, but that's another thing) would be more helpful than having it inside, as I now have to use my phone flashlight to identify it. Again, not a big deal, but something to point out.

I actually let everyone attending the meet try out the headphones first before I finally tried it. The consensus was that they are great sounding headphones. Not one member had any bad things to say about them, and to me, that was saying a whole lot about the sound quality of the Be.
    Once I placed them in my ears and listened to them through my Chord Mojo, I was very impressed. Nice tight bass, and clear highs. I can understand how other reviewers say it has a V-shaped profile, as I noticed that as well. Now I don't know that much about breaking in headphones like you would with speakers, but I have to say that in the past 6 months, they seem to sound better to me than my initial impressions. As portable as they are, I find they are my default headphones when I'm not at home (the different Stax earspeakers I have are my go-to's when home). I do have a set of Stax SRM-002 that are also considered "portable", and the portable Stax sound better than the Be, but carrying around the Chord DAC, the Stax energizer, and the earspeakers and headband (detachable but I always use them) really aren't convenient nor truly portable. Using the Be with either the Mojo or Fiio E18, or even just my LG V20 with the Quad DAC is seriously all I really need to enjoy the beautiful tones and clarity in almost any setting. I've let family and friends try them out, and they are all amazed at the quality of sound coming from them.
    When I listen to Diana Krall live, or jam to some of my favorite 80's songs, I have not found one song where these headphones have not excelled in sound quality. Cymbals and audience noise and footsteps are clear, where on other non electrostatic IEMs, I did not oftentimes notice they were there. Imaging and sound stage are pretty distinct and wide. I can close my eyes and feel immersed in the music and the environment. These are top-notch IEMs that I will continue to enjoy for years to come (and ones in which will not be passed down to my kids).

I hope this has been helpful, and I will try to be more technical in future reviews, as I learn the nomenclature and train my ears in this wonderful hobby we all share.
      josesol07 and iBo0m like this.
    1. iBo0m
      Actually, not going deep into "technical stuffs" doesn't mean a review lacks something. I've enjoyed your review. Thanks! :)
      iBo0m, May 30, 2019
      calbear likes this.
  3. IryxBRO
    Periodic Audio BE — flagship IEMs from USA
    Written by IryxBRO
    Published Apr 17, 2019
    Pros - good bass and textures, exposed mids, excellent treble, good stage
    Cons - cable is not detachable
    [​IMG]

Periodic Audio BE IEMs — a flagship model from a very ambitious American brand with people in white robes behind it. A product developed by engineers for the sake of audiphiles, three times more interesting to consider due to the country of origin. BE stands for beryllium which means 100% pure beryllium foil diaphragm used in a single dynamic driver in the essence of this model. Lots of other interesting features about BE IEMs can be found at the official Periodic Audio website. Our task is to express personal opinion about its build and sound quality while trying to compare the approach of tuning between Asian and American brands.

Periodic Audio BE technical specification:
      • Sensitivity: 100dB SPL @ 1mW
      • Peak SPL: 123dB
      • Power handling: 200mW continuous
      • THD: <1% @ 1mW
      • Shell material: polycarbonate + Metal-Injected-Molded grade 304 stainless steel logo caps + chemically etched grade 316 stainless steel grilles
      • Cable: 1.5m, integrated, 3,5mm audio jack
    Graphs:

[​IMG]

Packaging, design and build quality:

[​IMG]

Periodic Audio BE are nicely packed into a well designed box which has IEM structure printed on the front side and product specifications at the back. The unfolding part reveal the additional information — highly demanded visual graphs of the frequency response range.

[​IMG]

Box contains a paper holder with special openings that retain gold color storage case and IEMs while all the rest of accessories are stored inside the case.

[​IMG]

Couple of words about the quality of the box and storage case — yes, those do raise some questions for a person who got used to extremely good quality of packaging of IEMs from Chineese and Korean manufacturers. As far as I know, people from Periodic Audio do care much more about the resulting sound and build quality of IEMs instead of focusing on the additional accessories. The main quality question addresses pretty thin aluminum storage case that doesn’t have secure locking mechanism and won’t last long. On the other hand — the rest of the accessories look perfectly well, box is not that visually attractive but does the job of protecting the product during the transportation. Let’s say that we see two different approaches: either to provide visually attractive packaging to move the stock despite sound characteristics or to put an accent on the quality of sound which is the most important for IEMs.

Box contents:
      • Periodic audio BE IEMs
      • Storage case
      • 6 pairs of silicone eartips
      • 2 pairs of memory foam eartips
      • 3.5mm -> 6.6mm adapter
      • 3.5mm -> 2 X 3.5mm L+R plane adapter
    Box contents surprises with the plane and 6.6mm adaptors. Never thought that people would use $300 IEMs in planes instead of the 1cent options that are provided by the crew.

[​IMG]

Anyway, it was a joke. I know that there are some DAPs that are equipped with such kind of outputs. Rarely, but still… Good variety of eartips makes it possible to ensure a proper fit for any ear. Brand claims that eartips are made of medical grade silicone and uretanes that should secure you from any allergic reactions.

[​IMG]

Caps with brand logo are made of 304 stainless steel.

[​IMG]

Shells are made of polycarbonate for zero resonance and extra strength to resist mechanical damages. All shell elements are perfectly aligned and neatly assembled with very small spacing between parts.

[​IMG]

Cable is 1.5 meter long, covered with black silicone and ending with 3.5mm straight plug in rubber housing.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, cable is integrated. It does have good bending protection from IEM side and looks pretty durable in overall to live long and happy life. But I would still recommend to pay a little bit more attention to its well being in comparison to IEMs where you can exchange the cable at your own will.

Fit:

BE IEMs are quite comfortable, thanks to low weight (only 9.3g for both) and wide variety of provided eartips. Fit is secure and tight, no tendency to fall out while walking or exercising. Pretty good and common feel for IEMs with bullet-like shape.

Sound quality:

BE IEMs were tested with Hidizs AP80 DAP.

Lows and midbass:

Smooth and texutred lows are one of the main virtues of BE IEMs. Bass is disctinct, perfectly contoured with deep reach and impressive extension. Presence of bass is not overemhasized or underpowered — enough to create balanced perception of the sound in overall and perfectly exposed to reproduce micro detail and draw the attention towards it. Layering with other frequencies is decent, lows are not overlapping with mids and not shadowing any instruments no matter which volume you are at. Adequate bass reaction and speed keeps the sound complete. In overall, lows feel quite open, wide and extended. I cannot say that BE are dedicated for bassheads as the lows are kind of accurate and weighted intead of being too accented and heavy.

Midbass is vivid, energetical and engaging. Drums sound natural and rich. No influence is spotted from the treble part which results in accurate and non distructive sound in some tracks susceptible to excessive drum gain.

Mids and vocals:

First impression was that mids are recessed, sound distant and thin — common for V-shape tuning. Couple of tracks later, after getting used to the sound of BE, came the understanding that mids are adequately exposed and don’t tend to overly bright or dark tonality. Appropriate thickness and even delivery in this range make BE IEMs quite comfortable for different kinds of genres and long listening sessions. Voices sound natural and rich, no harsh peaks or artificially added emotions spotted on female vocals. Although, male voices do have a little bit of mellow feel while female’s do sound a bit more vivid. But this doesn’t grow into negative perception. Furthermore, most of the resolving potential is gathered in this range influencing string and bow instruments at the first place, followed by vocals. Amount of details is not so great as reproduced by BA drivers but definitely impressive for the single dynamic unit.

Treble:

BE treble is astonishing: clear, transparent and very detailed. Treble crispness and clarity together with delicate delivery reminds of the best examples of balanced armature IEMs. BE is by far the best dynamic model regrading treble range, overall feel transparency and treble extension. This is also highlighted by the additional accent on this range that makes the sound less neutral but more fun and appealing to a listener.

Soundstage:

Imaginary soundstage is more than average in terms of depth and width. Very good layering and instrument separation helps to keep perfectly distinctive sound for all instruments with no mixing between them. Precise instrument positioning and clarity defines the stage depth while transparent treble and open sound of bass adds some width.

Sound in overall:

Periodic audio BE sound can be described as slightly V-shaped, with open and textured bass, resolved and weighted mids, bright, crisp and accurate treble. Despite slight but apparent V-shaped tuning, BE still sound good with many different music genres. Rare combination of fun sound with such omnivorous nature.

Compared to Earnine EN2J:

[​IMG]

Earnine EN2J (from South Korea) are based on 2 BA units tuned for very neutral sound with decent resolution. While BE sound brighter and more engaging, EN2J are like being very «flat» in the direct comparison. Lows are more extended and having more weight in BE while treble is similarly rich and bright. Overall resolution is slightly higher in EN2J due to the overwhelming microdynamics of high quality BA units but bass texturing is not that great. In terms of fit BE are lighter and more comfortable but EN2J have another good feature — exchangeable cable.

Compared to Tanchjim Oxygen:

[​IMG]

Tanchjim Oxygen are my favorite single dynamic IEMs with neutral sound, great balance and perfectly delivered ranges. BE are directly comparable, having similarly good resolution, more exposed lows and better extension of treble. I would say that main difference in sound is that Oxygen IEMs are more neutral whereas BE are more vivid at both ends. The other sound characteristics are quite similar. Fit is much better with BE.

Conclusion:

[​IMG]

My very first take on IEMs originating from USA turned to an invention of a brand that definitely know how good the sound of single dynamic driver should be. Moreover, Periodic Audio has managed to implement this knowledge in their flagship BE IEMs. Its sound impresses with accurate bass, great layering, crisp treble and engaging but very comfortable picture in overall. Build quality is nothing more to be desired as well. The approach towards the good sound in different parts of the world is not that huge but obvious — egineers in Periodic Audio prevail over marketing that often invest only to the attractive facias… Soundwise, haven’t met other models with such interesting and successfull combination of the engaging V-tuning and adequate delivery of mids. At my own scale, BE would place somewhere at top, next to my most favorite models.

Another conclusion — «Chi-Fi» is not relevant and kind of rudiment funny word. Having lots of IEMs from different parts of the world (and now from USA as well) I can make a conclusion that there are best products with the best sound quality that originate from different countries. And many good examples from China. It is just the huge amount of less than average or mere quality IEMs from China that would confuse the choice. Periodic Audio, on its turn, deserves the ovations for making IEMs with excellent sound quailty at the very competitive price point when compared to best products from Asian markets with significantly lower material and labor cost. Something had to be sacrificed but definitely not the sound quality.

You can buy Periodic Audio BE IEMs at official store
      cleg likes this.
  4. Watermelon Boi
    Periodic Mg/Ti/Be review: Only the necessities
    Written by Watermelon Boi
    Published Feb 4, 2019
    Pros - Great bass and staging
    -Low distortion, precise imaging
    -5 year warranty
    Cons - Non-detachable cable
    -Plain design and packaging
    DSC_0390_edited2.jpg
    Periodic Audio Review: Only the necessities

Periodic Audio (PA) is a startup brand that has just hopped onto the audio industry. Periodic Audio is from California, USA and introduced themselves with some unique concepts or principles which intrigued me to learn more about. As they announce their first three lineup of their product, Mg, Ti, Be, they've set their principles very clear: single dynamic drivers are better than multi BAs.

While some companies target their products on people's emotion, PA takes a very scientific approach towards their product. Spectral decay plot attached on their website for better references, PA states that using multi BAs require crossovers result sonic mishmash as well as inaccurate image specification. PA tuned their IEMs just by creating their own diaphragm and that's it! No filters, no crossovers, no this and thats, just a dang good driver.

DSC_0523.jpg DSC_0525.jpg
    Unboxing

Packaging is simple and seamless, but nothing impressive really. Not a surprise though, as Periodic explained in advance why their packaging is so simple. Here's their answer from the F&Q..

"As long as your product reaches you without damage, then the packaging did its job. Packaging shouldn't sell you on the product. It should not be one of the "brand promises" to you. It's the product inside that matters."

It's pretty clear that the guys behind Periodic Audio have that 'engineer mindset' - which they've removed any unnecessary or unpractical elements. Not saying it's bad, but I find opening a product for the first time to be one of the most memorable experience and PA could of done better making the packaging look attractive while keeping it simple - Campfire audio does a great job when it comes to this. Other than that, the provided accessories are pretty plentiful. It comes with 5 pairs of silicon tips, 3 pairs of foam tips, 1/4" adapter, airplane adapter, and a small metal case.

DSC_0993_edited2.jpg
    Earpieces

Earpieces have that good old classical style we're all familiar of - the round barrel looking shape. Aesthetics are quite simple, though the faceplates make them look pretty neat actually. All PA IEMs have the same appearance, except the faceplate colors - Be for gold, Ti for dark grey, Mg for silver.

Besides, Periodic made it clear from the get-go that they don't believe in BA drivers or multi-drivers - but only a hella good single dynamic driver. They are pretty serious when it comes to low distortion and reaching the ideal FR, so they've kept all of their IEMs to only have 1DD but equipped with different tuning and driver materials. Drivers for Mg are made of 96% magnesium allow, pure titanium for Ti, and pure beryllium for Be. I suggest giving these some good amount of burn-in, especially for Ti - since the driver for these feel more rigid and is the only IEM from the family that doesn't have driver flex.

DSC_0399_edited.jpg

Cable

I'm a guy who often enjoy simplicity as Periodic does, but Periodic kept it a bit too simple with their cables. The cables feel somewhat flimsy as if they've stuck in one from those bundle earphones. I've heard that PA was planning to make these detachable but aborted for not being satisfied with either MMCX and 2Pin. That's okay, though the problem is that the cable seems pretty weak and with no reinforcements whatsoever. For me the non-detachable cable was a bummer, though the good part is that PA got you covered for 5 years of warranty. It seems like the durability concerns won't be significant as it would supposed to be.

DSC_0384_edited2.jpg
    Mg: Highlights bass and vocals

Mg shows an uncompromising performance even if it's the most affordable model from the lineup. Bass feels powerful, large, and nicely controlled which prevents it from getting overwhelming. For its price range Mg’s bass performance is one of the very best available to the market. Mids sound big and plentiful, providing quite a realistic scale of vocals. The thickness is more on the thicker side, making it a bit more desirable for male vocals but female vocals would sound just as sweet and rich. It also doesn't cause any sibilance and same applies for the other two IEMs, so I won’t be mentioning about this further.

Treble takes a step back but well presented with satisfactory details. Mg does a fine job to catching the small details in the background but with smoothed out edges, making it desirable for long-time listening. In conclusion, Mg seeks for a sound that has a big scale on bass/mids with smooth yet detailed treble. If you got to enjoy Mg and would like to bring out more from it, I'd suggest to give Be a try. Ti would also be a good choice if you’re into highlighting the instruments or simply something that sounds more fun,

Mg.png

DSC_0377_edited.jpg
    Ti: Highlights texture and instruments

Ti is more V-shaped compared to the other models, however no assumptions that Ti would do bad on mids. Note that all three Periodic IEMs sound bassy while Ti has a bit more treble amount compared to the other two. Highs are shifted forward while keeping the mids on its original place. Vocals are just as good as Mg & Be, but slightly darker with a sexy, husky tone added to it.

Ti is the fun-sounding one among the family and would be an appropriate choice for those who enjoy high engagement on instruments along with the crispy bass and treble. Also, staging is more spatial and wider compared to Mg and does a better job highlighting the backgrounds. The bass is denser and the border lines between low/mid/high are more distinguishable than Mg. It's pretty common here in the audiophile world to neglect the mid-child while choosing an IEM, but I strongly recommend giving Ti a consideration if these features feel to check out.

Ti.png

DSC_0311.jpg
    Be: Highlights bass and vocals

Be goes for a bass centric sound with soothing mids and highs. The imaging is bigger with even more bass quantity than Ti, but still never gets overwhelming. The bass textures are refined and has a better extension on the low-end. The overall performance feels to be superior than Ti and Mg. Tonality and imaging is the best among the family, but the gap isn't drastic to call it night and day.

The kick on the bass feels deep and realistic, which is probably the strongest merit of this IEM. Image specification is also nice, which is another advantage that Periodic Audio claimed for using a single driver. Vocals sound sweet and bold while keeping an adequate amount of graininess, adequately exposing the texture. The sound signature and characteristics are very similar to Campfire Audio Vega. The performance-wise Be is right under Vega’s shoulders, though it's actually impressive for an IEM that only costs $299 (FYI sound signature-wise Ti was very close to Vega). In short, Be follows Mg’s sound signature, but better in accuracy, lower distortion, density, staging, and extension.

Be.png

DSC_0391_edited.jpg

Verdicts

All Periodic Audio IEMs follow the same sonic path: Big, bold, and plentiful. No gimmick or extras, just nailing hard on sound. While there were some minor elements that they've missed (like lack of reinforcement near the connectors and non-detachable cables), but Periodic done a pretty nice job overall with fabulous execution in sound tuning. I love their motto and principles and hopefully they'll advance even further by gathering good amount of user feedback to make it more trendy. Well done, Periodic!

Visit www.aboutaudio.org and follow on Instagram / Facebook for more contents!​

Thanks to Periodic Audio for providing the IEMs in exchange of an honest impression/feedback.
    I am not affiliated with Periodic Audio and none of my words were modded or asked to be changed.
      TetraEngine likes this.
  5. Zelda
    Beryllium Flagship
    Written by Zelda
    Published Dec 6, 2018
    Pros - Well built and comfortable shells.
    Powerful and engaging bass response.
    Smooth and controlled treble
    5 years warranty
    Cons - Fixed and thin cable can be a disadvantage compared to the competition.
    Cable noise
    No right/left indicators
    Review - Periodic Audio Be (Beryllium)

be (1).jpg

Website - Periodic Audio

Overview

The Be IEM is the higher of the Periodic Audio in-ear options, featuring a Beryllium diaphragm as speaker in a very compact and smooth design. With a comfortable and lightweight fit it presents a powerful and very warm sound with a sense of musicality. Not aimed for pure accuracy and control, but still detailed well balanced through the midrange and highs. Plenty amount of bass with quantity too, addicting and very fun to listen, too. And also covered by a long five years of warranty.

be (2).jpg

Official Be info

Specifications
    (From Periodic Audio site)

specs.png

Price: U$299.

Warranty: 5 years!!!.

be (4).jpg
    The Periodic Audio team opted for a more eco-friendly packaging, simple and very compact. The outer box holds plenty of info about the company and the Be earphones, while the inner box is a plain recyclable cardboard box. Yes, it looks cheap and nothing inspiring but it is costs-saving (and also a way to contribute to the ecosystem; it also helps to avoid international customs delays.

be (5).jpg

be (6).jpg

As for accessories, the package includes a small round tin can with a wide array of different ear tips. There're 3 pairs of single silicone tips, 3 pairs of dual tips and 3 pairs of foam tips. Being stored inside the small case some ear tips may not arrive in perfect shape, though it seems to be a temporary effect. There're also two extra adapters, 6.3mm and plane. The case is really small, and while it can hold the compact design of the earphone, it could still have been of better quality and more spacious, or at least include a soft cloth bag.

be (7).jpg

Like the box, all the Periodic Audio earphones feature a very compact and minimalistic design (and the reasons are explained by the company on the links below). The earpieces are made almost entirely of polycarbonate material, which means plastic but of very good quality, with just the rear part made of metal. The shape is very straight, compact for the single dynamic driver inside, in a completely smooth finish and matte black color. It is also well rounded on both the outer and inner part at the base of the nozzle. The nozzle is of ~6mm of diameter and also longer than the standard found on IEMs of this straight form factor. There're no right and left sides indicators on any part of the earphones, only the red colored nozzle for right and black for left. There's really no reason to miss something as basic as this as even a small dot on the cable relief would have been enough.

be (8).jpg

As for the cable, well, first of all, the strain relief at the exit of the shells is a bit short, and while well attached, it is not flexible at all. The whole cable doesn't look very inspiring and the fixed option versus the so common detachable alternatives nowadays might mean a disadvantage for many people. Replaceable cables are cool and practical, indeed; however they need to be well implemented. Personally I don't mind the fixed cable option as long as it is of good quality, or at least backed up by solid warranty and customer service, which is the case of the Periodic Audio earphones.

be (9).jpg

Plug and split are quite small too, without any proper strain relief either, and missing a slider at the upper half. On paper, the stated materials used on the cable may sound good enough, and in practice it is very comfortable and unobtrusive, and while not springy at all it can be noisy when worn straight down.
    Nevertheless, the earphones are covered by an unbeatable warranty period of 5 years, while so far the longest warranty offered by other companies was up to 3 years.

be (10).jpg

The fit is very easy and with the so lightweight shells the Be is very comfortable to use. The thin and soft cable can be worn either up or down without issues. Isolation is good, at least above average for a IEM with this type of straight design, and the small hole on the upper part didn't implied any lack of isolation.

Further details about the Periodic Audio products may be found at the FAQ section and IEM Anatomy.

Sound Quality

The Be is efficient enough as most in-ear monitors, reaching great results at moderate volume levels and without a sign of distortion if dialing volume up a bit more. It's still an IEM set that tends to get a better balance at higher volumes than what I'd usually use, yet remains quite comfortable and controlled. However, pairing the Be is not quite easy. Despite the strong emphasis on the low-end and very slight lift on the treble, the signature is not of a usual lively v-shaped signature that plays best with any source. Won't be calling it picky, though using a more budget player like the Shanling M0 or PAW Pico didn't bring comfortable sonic results on the Be IEM. The slightest coloration, and the Be would sound too dark. Going with a more dedicated source like the Aune M1s or iBasso DX120 showed a much higher performance; the Be sounds spacious, well layered and extended, still keeping the mid-bass lift but on a less pronounced level.

be (11).jpg

The Periodic Audio Be IEM has a full and powerful sound with a bit dark warm and rich overall presentation. A very pronounced lower-end and a faint gain on the treble region in order to save it from sounding too off.

The bass is the dominant frequency with a much stronger impact at the mid-bass area, putting the sub-bass a second priority in comparison. The strong mid-bass lift is impossible to ignore, and sometimes can sound annoying too. It is not a peak on certain bass region, but rather an enhancement on the whole bass. Quality wise, the bass shows good control and nice separation. Sub-bass rumble is plenty, and also less overdone than the mid-bass part. Dynamics are quite good and also speed is better than average for just a single dynamic driver with good sense of depth. Overall, it is a fun, very fun and addicting bass presentation.

The midrange takes a step back on the presentation, more distant and thinner in body. The balance goes towards the lower mids, which is nothing surprising considering the strong bass impact. There is some bass bleed too that mixes with the mids and giving a thicker note texture and weight to lower vocals. With the very warm signature, transparency will be missing on the Be, though separation is good with a natural timbre and coherence. Not a best option for female vocal oriented music due the lack of forwardness and also for the bit dry texture, though still plays well with male singers thanks to the fuller lower midrange.

Treble is a bit more forward than the upper midrange, but far from being as present as the bass is. It has a very smooth and laid-back presentation that can still show decent amount of sparkle on the lower treble when the tracks ask for that avoids it from sounding boring, but still remains safe of harshness even at higher volume where the Be tends to shine. Those looking for more bite on electric guitars or more crash on cymbals won't find the Be enough, but for a more relaxed sound it is something to consider.
    Sound stage is not particularly wide; however, the depth stands out more with good dynamics and coherence that should be found on a single dynamic driver, and overall the sound is spacious and layered. Micro detailing is very competent for the price, and while it doesn't sound very obvious due the laid-back and warmer signature, it is definitely there when listening with more attention.

be (12).jpg
      Dsnuts likes this.
  6. faceestrella
    Eurekas! All Around
    Written by faceestrella
    Published Dec 1, 2018
    Pros - Pleasant and Flexbile Tuning, Good clarity and definition across the board, lots of accessories
    Cons - Mids may be too recessed for some, accessory quality could be better, build is uninspired, competitors may provide a better overall value proposition
    [​IMG]

Introduction: Periodic Audio a relative newcomer in the audio scene has entered the scene with a completely different perspective from how many other companies address audio. And this approach leads to a current line of products that have an interesting philosophy behind them. Currently, they have a product line that consists of 3 IEMs, but that roster will only continue to grow. For more information about the principles behind Periodic Audio check out my interview with them here. Back to the IEM at hand what we have here is their highest priced product, not exactly a flagship, it's just that it costs the most to produce, this is the Beryllium or Be for short. This name, of course, comes from the material that is the main differentiator between their models, and this is a beryllium foil coated diaphragm that is the heart and soul of this IEM. So what does the Be provide and is it worth the hefty price tag of $299?

The Beryllium was provided to me by Periodic Audio in exchange for an honest and unbiased evaluation. Thanks to Periodic Audio for the opportunity to review this IEM.

Specifications: Performance

Young's Modulus 287 Gigapascals

Brinell Hardness 1320 Megapascals

Physical Properties

Cable Length 1.5 m

Mass 2.8 / 9.3 g (IEM/Set)

Operational Temperature -20 to +50° C

Operational Humidity 0-95% Relative Humidity

NRR 31.3 dB (foam ear tip)

Overall Length 21 mm

Body Diameter 12 mm

Nozzle Diameter 6 mm

[​IMG]

Packaging and Accessories: The Be comes in a simple white cardboard box that has the product information printed on, as well as a flap that opens up to reveal more details as well as an FR graph. Opening the side reveals a sleeve that holds the IEM, and the accessories contained in the likely aluminum, carrying case, there is an abundance of tips, airplane splitter, and a 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter. Though one thing to note with how the packaging is that the foam tips were deformed because of all the things that were crammed inside the case, which really isn't that spacious. The overall packaging is simple but functional and has nothing else notable with it, the quality of the accessories, for the most part, is pretty good, though I can't speak for the quality of airline splitter, I found that the 3.5 to 6.3 adapter to be loose leading to inconsistent connections on the 3.5mm side. The silicone ear tips are unremarkable but seem of decent quality, and the foam tips are stiffer than Comply brand tips which for the most part is ok but should be mentioned as it will exert a greater pressure on your inner ear as a result, finally the included case is simple, comes with a screw lid, and is large enough to accommodate the IEM with some tips but nothing in excess of that, the build of the case is sturdy enough to keep it safe in your bag, but the metal is fairly thin so I wouldn't expect it to withstand a more substantial impact.

[​IMG]

Build Quality: The construction of the Be is primarily composed of plastics with only the end cap being made of a metal material and this helps keep the Be very light and unintrusive when worn over a long period of time, the build is solid with the nozzles having separately colored screens, black and red, to identify left and right, though I wish there was a more convenient way to tell which side was which. The cables are typical if a bit rubbery to the touch, and the strain reliefs are unexceptional, the overall build is solid however this is where I think the approach Periodic Audio utilized with their lineup shows the weaknesses, because all 3 models across all the price points share the same material outside of the diaphragm the Be being the most expensive loses out on the value proposition relative to the sibling models, as you get the same build and accessories for a lower price with the other models, meaning that the Be heavily relies on sound quality to deliver on the premium cost. On a purely objective level, I can't fault the build but I can't ignore the comparison to both the Mg and the Al and I just have to dock some points because of that, even while fully understanding the rationale behind this approach.

Fit: Due to the shape and size of the Be fitting is rather easy and free of any hassle, it is light, meant to be worn cable down, and is narrow enough to never really be close to being obtrusive to one's ear, the bevy of ear tips offered also lends to a very pleasant fitting experience ensuring that you are very likely to have a good experience wearing these IEMs.

[​IMG]

Sound: The overall signature of the Be is a slight V or U shaped signature meaning it performs very well across a good mix of musical styles and genres and works well as an everyday carry especially for popular music of today. As always I tested the Be across a multitude of devices from my LG G6, Alienware 17 R3, Hiby R6, ifi xDSD, FiiO Q1 Mk II, Massdrop CTH, and I have listened to them for over 100 hours before writing my thoughts on them. The Be is generally easy to drive by most devices, though phones with weaker internal amplifiers may struggle, it does seem to be benefitted by a source with a good amount of power as the headroom really helps the Be stretch its legs.

Bass: The Be is very capable in the bass frequencies being very adept in a deep sub-bass rumble with decay on the slower side of the spectrum, so songs with prominent bass drum lines like "Love" by Lana Del Rey exhibit a pleasant natural reverb, moving up to the spectrum of the mid-bass such as the lower registers of instruments there is a pleasant warmth that while adds some intimacy to the sound, gives pleasant vocals to the musical styles of Michael Buble with the vocal undertones being enhanced without ever feeling too syrupy or overbearing, this, however, leads to the subsequent register where there is an overlap but the bass isn't blooming and the quality of the bass is very good and has good overall resolution.

[​IMG]

Mids: The midrange is laidback on the Be, taking a step back especially relative to the bass, while it's never overtaken to the point where one would consider to be truly intrusive. What happens is that in songs like "Greek Tragedy" by the Wombats the large bassline does compete with the vocals and instrumentation a bit. Taking that into account the quality of the midrange frequencies themselves are quite good, controlled and with the details that do pop out being rendered quite well, and switching to a different style of music like Dua Lipa, "Hotter than Hell" is reproduced very well where the mixing of the track lends a better cohesion of her higher key, with the instrumentation that takes inspiration from different electronic styles. The story is the same with instrumentation wherein compositions of an orchestral style, the instruments in the midrange are fighting a little bit more for their place in the composition. While this may boil down to the kind of music you listen to, it is noteworthy for those who don't have the ability to swap around multiple earphones.

[​IMG]

Treble: On the Be there is a mild accentuation of the treble to lift the overall signature from being too "dark" or "warm" and adds some feeling of resolution to tracks, it, however, does not go overboard and in general does not have any uncomfortable peaks and in general this mild boost is well placed adding some sparkle and air into the tracks. From violins to an electronic synthetic instrument tone, the Be handles them all well without having beats of distortion or harshness that can plague lower quality IEMs. This overall lends to a fantastic overall listening experience for modern tracks, "1989" by Taylor Swift was a wonderful overall experience.

Presentation: The Be performs only average in terms of soundstage, not noticeably wide or narrow, nor does its exceptional quality in terms of height or depth, however, it does mean that it in general sounds natural, and the general 3D positioning is fairly accurate, something that IEMs with unnaturally wide staging suffers from. As previously mentioned it has a good amount of detail retrieval overall, with nuances, especially in the lower end of the frequency spectrum, being quite impressive, and for the most part the layering and coherency is there, save for very busy tracks where the bass and midrange can have some conflict, for the majority of tracks however it performs perfectly fine.

[​IMG]

Conclusion: Overall the Be sounds very good. It shows the benefits of material selection in designing audio gear, and really does give you something to ponder, it also is very no frills, focusing only on sound quality and it does deliver, a generally pleasing and flexible tuning, this no-frills approach does, however, have the drawbacks with many competitors around the price range possible offering better overall value propositions with those concerned with build materials, or case materials, or other ancillary things like that, but when you pair it with the Al and Mg you can really see the idea that Periodic Audio had when they engineered this trifecta, and if you can appreciate the sound tuning, which is very easy to do, like the fact that it has a simple design that leads to a great ease of use experience, the Be is a great option for you, as an everyday carry that won't draw too much attention, I enjoyed my time with it in the commute playing whatever my DAP shuffled too, or whatever Spotify recommended me, it's an interesting option for those that want JUST ONE pair of IEMs to own, and as long as you know the whole package, I can definitely recommend the Be, and I applaud Periodic Audio for the execution of this concept. To get a better idea behind the company, check out my interview here.

7. Johnny Mac
    Periodic Audio Beryllium and Magnesium Realview.
    Written by Johnny Mac
    Published Nov 9, 2018
    Pros - Top-notch clarity, accessory set, super portable.
    Cons - Non-detachable cables, cable strain relief needs much more.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have always found it alluring to do things in simplicity, especially in a hobby such as audio where extravagance and lavishness seems to have taken over if not for the most part for the current trend, little did I know that there are some there who’d choose to take the path less taken, which was why I was delighted to have stumbled upon Periodic Audio.

Periodic Audio started way back 2016 with a “Portable Audio Excellence” vision banking on all the basic necessities portable audio needs; portability, comfort and sound quality. They presently fielded a trio of audiophile IEMs to carry their brand and vision namely the Periodic Audio Magnesium, Titanium and Beryllium and an upcoming portable amplifier, the Nickel. What we have now to realview though is the duo of Periodic Audio’s extremities, the Beryllium priced at $299 and Magnesium priced at $99. Thanks to Dan of Periodic Audio for providing the review samples in exchange for an honest review, you can secure this duo of IEMs from the Periodic Audio official website which also if you are short on funds offers a discounted blemished set.

Periodic Audio’s Beryllium relies on the new trend of employing the use of Beryllium in its diaphragm which can also be found on some other audio products from Focal and Master & Dynamic due to its high strength: weight ratio characteristics which is highly sought after for use as diaphragm material while the Periodic Audio Magnesium relies on 96% Magnesium alloy on its diaphragm which although has good strength: weight ratio still falls short of Beryllium’s superior sonic features which begs to question us, will Periodic Audio’s gamble on Beryllium and Magnesium coupled with simplicity more than enough to hit the bull’s eye of an audiophiles’ checklist? Let’s take the shot.

Packaging and Build Quality
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I’m a sucker for everything black and white so when Periodic Audio’s duo of Magnesium and Beryllium IEMs arrived in my office clad in a straightforward semi-glossy black and white cardboard box with only the Periodic Audio name, a schematic diagram of the IEMs themselves and the periodic table style of the Mg and Be elements, I knew then and there that this has ticked my affinity towards things simple. Opening the box however was a struggle, the glue was so strong and I would hate to have to tear apart the box. Inside the box is a much simpler white flapped box which revealed the IEMs themselves, both the Be and Mg have identical packaging and accessory set. The IEMs rested on a glass-like pocket with an installed foam eartips to act as a cushion and a pseudo-gold coated metal carrying case which reminded me of my younger pomade days. Inside the metal carrying case were a set of foam tips, another set of silicon bi-flange tips, another set of silicon single-flange tips which were all in black, an airline adapter and a gold-plated 6.3mm adapter. There was no shirt-clip nor did a rubber pouch include which personally would have appealed better with regards to their company mission of portability since the metal carrying case is just too much to be carried around on a pocket.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The Periodic Audio Be and Mg IEMs uses bullet-type polycarbonate housings with no L-R markings except for the metal mesh on the nozzle being red for right and black for left. The nozzle doesn’t use another material but instead uses the same polycarbonate material as the housing so no worries with it falling off. A vent is present on both IEMs which is located on the upper portion of the IEM housing which is reinforced by metal which matches the bullet-type housing caps with Periodic Audio’s P and A unified logo. The cables are non-removable which is okay on the Mg IEM but would have personally preferred the Be to have removable cables although their upcoming releases is hinting on having removable cables. Although the cables are removable it is still a good one which doesn’t tangle and doesn’t retain folds and also not too rubbery and sticky. There is minimal strain reliefs on all cable joints which uses butyl rubber and has minimal microphonics when used on the go. Overall the build quality of both the Be and Mg IEMs whispers a silent “rest your mind easy, this would last” thought yet with all these specifications, does both IEMs stand the glare of extravagance from its counterparts? Let’s take a peek then.

Periodic Audio Beryllium Specifications:

Impedance: 32 Ohms nominal
    Sensitivity: 101 dB SPL at 1mW in ear

Tonality
    [​IMG]

Do note that the both the Periodic Audio Be and Mg IEMs underwent the recommended 250-hour burn-in process and for the duration of the realview, the stock medium foam tips were used as well the Sony CAS-1 system off an MSI GF62 8RE laptop using Foobar2000 v1.4, Opus 1 and Xduoo x3ii outputting 16/44 Flac files which would be mentioned along the realview.

Be:
    This is a great do-it-all IEM due to its superb detail retrieval and clarity giving it a balanced and flat sound signature. I cycled through Michael Buble’s Greatest Hits album and the Be was a very engaging set of IEMs which gives a full-on experience of the whole sound spectrum, no noticeable extremes from the lows, mids and highs.

Mg:
    Riding on the almost all-out magnesium alloy diaphragm makes the Mg emanate a still near flat signature with much more emphasis on the upper frequencies which should be noted in comparison as to how the Be sounded so good on the balanced and flat sound signature.

Lows
    Be:
    Pulling out Arctic Monkey’s “Do I Wanna Know?” which drops loads of sub-bass and bass right off the bat enables the Be to easily cater to the lower frequencies with great response, not extended yet not lacking as well, the thump on the sub-bass has strong control on it and doesn’t make the lows sound too powerful while the bass drops gives a pinch of warmth, just enough to tease the audiophile’s crave for lower frequency preference.

Mg:
    The Mg’s lower frequencies performance gives is at a notable plane which doesn’t overlap towards the midrange. Sub-bass hits has strong control on it and still doesn’t make the overall sound too powerful while the bass drops doesn’t provide enough body to make the Mg comfortably sound warm, it leans on the warmer spectrum but the bass drops doesn’t decay smoothly.

Midrange
    Be:
    The Be’s midrange performance was tested using Usher’s Hard to Love album, playing the “Bump” track specifically highlights the male vocals and the Be gives out strong distinct intelligibility of the different singers voices. The lower midrange performance is stellar and makes the bass performance much more perceived. Timbre is also natural and clarity once again takes the stage with grandiose.

Mg:
    Usher's vocal prowess doesn’t sound too appealing and engaging on the Mg as compared to the Be although there is still distinct intelligibility of the different singers voices. Lower midrange performance falls short from the Be which supplants the bass region lacking the added thump. Timbre is a tad less natural and clarity takes a hit.

Highs
    Be:
    It would have been very easy for me to feel high with how the Be fares so far on the lower and midrange frequencies. The Be’s high frequency performance is another positive feedback for it. Train’s “Silver Dollar” gave out crisp and detailed treble hits. The occasional crash cymbal hits are highly distinct but doesn’t sound shrill while the ride cymbal hits had great definition while not sounding harsh. Sibilance is taboo for the Be and Sparkle is easily observed.

Mg:
    At this stage of the realview, it is already evident that the Mg is already a slightly diverging listening experience than the Be however it is great to find that the high frequency performance allows for a strong semblance with the Periodic Audio duo of the Be and Mg. Train’s “Silver Dollar” still sounded crisp and detailed treble hits although the crash cymbal hits lost some of its trashy sound which was easily heard on the Be while the ride cymbals still had great definition. Sibilance is once again taboo on the Mg and Sparkle is harder to perceive now.

Soundstage and Imaging
    Be:
    The Be exhibits a wide soundstage in IEM parameters and imaging is stellar, the Beryllium diaphragms performs great in giving out the Be’s striking clarity. Left to Right panning is also great and easily observed as well as horizontal instrument placing.

Mg:
    The Mg exhibits a narrower soundstage than the Be yet still retains the stellar imaging and clarity. Left to Right panning is still great while horizontal instrument placing is lesser.

Conclusion
    [​IMG]

Putting one’s all eggs in a single basket has its pros and cons and yet Periodic Audio still decided to roll their eggs in one. Possessing identical silhouettes and accessory sets, the Periodic Audio Beryllium and Magnesium leaves the consumer to solely rely on their sound signature preference on choosing which to get and despite the lack of a detachable cable, the Periodic Audio Beryllium still shines bright with its plain looks amidst all its fancier counterparts while still going head to head on sounding excellent. The Periodic Audio Magnesium also compliments the Beryllium well, giving consumers a great price-to-performance ratio performer with an easier to swallow non-detachable cable price tag.
  8. Dobrescu George
    - Good dynamics and impact
    - Good value
    - Excellent all-rounder
    Cons - - Cable is not detachable
    - L and R markings are not traditional, makes it a bit complicated to figure at first which is the left and right earpiece
    - Can be a bit too bassy and warm for some listeners
    - A bit too thicc for some, not for the faint of heart
    Periodic Audio Titanium and Beryllium - Musical Brothers

We reviewed the Magnesium IEM from Periodic Audio, and now it is time to also review the Titanium and Beryllium from the same lovely company, trying to figure if they have their place in this really rich and varied audio world.

Introduction

Periodic Audio has became well-known since the last review we wrote on their products, and we couldn't be more happy, as their products are a statement to research and development in the audio world. We have only good words to tell about their customer support and interaction, and we've seen customers happy with the solutions periodic audio had whenever there was need for a service process. The company has an interesting idea behind their products, where their first three products were made to look and be built pretty much the same, with the biggest difference in the drivers, which resulted in differences in the sonics of each of those IEMs. We're going to be comparing Ti and Be variants of their IEMs, as well as comparing them with other IEMs in similar price brackets.

It should be noted that I have absolutely no affiliation with Periodic Audio, I am not receiving any incentive for this review or to sweeten things out. This review is not sponsored nor has been paid for by Periodic Audio or anyone else. I'd like to thank Periodic Audio for providing the sample for this review. The sample was provided along with Periodic Audio's request for an honest and unbiased review. This review will be as objective as it is humanly possible, and it reflects my personal experience with Periodic Audio Be and Ti. Every opinion expressed is mine and I stand by it, the purpose of this review is to help those interested in Periodic Audio Be and Ti find their next music companion.

About me

Packaging

First things first, let's get the packaging out of the way:

[​IMG]

The package for Be and Ti is the same as it was with the Mg we reviewed before, and as we said before, we like the concept, and we like the fact that Periodic Audio includes a lot of technical data with their IEMs, including technical data about the materials used for the drivers.

We are fans of the golden carrying case included with both, as it is a thick metal case, which should offer a good amount of protection to both IEMs, and we are fans of the number of tips and accessories included with the IEMs.

Once opened, the boxes are not sealable anymore, so you should keep this in mind if you plan on having them exposed on a shelf.

All in all, the packaging is great, nothing too fancy, but not lacking in any way.

What to look in when purchasing an entry-level In-Ear Monitor

Technical Specifications

Ti

Be

Build Quality/Aesthetics/Fit/Comfort

The build quality, aesthetics, fit, comfort, and isolation are exactly the same as those found on Periodic Audio Mg, which we reviewed before:

To freshen up a bit, we should mention that the IEMs are barrel-type, they have a silicone tip with one of the most usual types of locking mechanism, they are well made, and you shouldn't have any issues wearing them portably. They isolate fairly well, and they o well with comfort.

[​IMG]

The cable is not detachable, but it is of a good quality.

The L and R markings on the IEMs are very different from other IEMs, Periodic Audio using red and blue wax grilles to determine which is the right and the left IEM.

There is a difference in the color of the cap at the back of the IEM body, but that's pretty much the only difference we could find between different Periodic Audio IEMs, aesthetics and build quality wise.

All Periodic Audio IEMs are vented, so there's no driver flex.

All in all, the Aesthetics, Build Quality and Comfort are also great, and we couldn't find any faults with Periodic Audio IEMs, except for the fact that the cables are not detachable, but since they've been released, there've been no reports of the cables breaking, so we feel Periodic Audio has done a great job with the included cables.

Sound Quality

Ti

Starting with the Ti, it has a thick and bassy sound, with a really nice instrument separation, good soundstage, a sweet presentation of the female vocals, and with a rather great treble extension, but with a smoother presentation of the upper treble. The ADSR/PRaT is on the smoother side all-around, so textures are not overly enhanced, and the sound is overly smooth, musical, fun and laid-back.

[​IMG]

The bass of Ti is really deep and impressive, drums in metal are timed properly, and although their PRaT is on the smoother side, Ti can still keep up with metal and even death metal. Reach of the bass is as low as you could desire, although we'd like to note that it does thicken the midrange, and it is pretty warm all-around. The word "tactile" describes the bass very well.

The midrange is sweet and smooth, a musicality euphoria status, where you're always surrounded by a melody of love and pleasure, and although this may sound like they are fuzzy, the instrument separation is actually quite good, and although the midrange is pushed back compared to the bass, it doesn't feel underpowered, being rather as most music lovers like it.

The treble is actually something of an acquired taste, a smooth, relaxing and fun presentation, although well extended one. You're going to hear the higher octaves, but they won't be rough nor harsh, rather, they'll be relaxing and smooth, further enhancing the thicc bass and midrange. Treble is presented in line with the midrange, with the bass being the most forward element of the whole sound.

A few things that impressed us with Ti, are that they keep being utterly clear even at crazy-loud volumes. Also, the value of Ti, compared to other IEMs we heard, makes them as detailed / clear as most ~350 USD IEMs, while their price tag is roughly 200 USD, so we're quite happy that Periodic Audio is pushing the Audio Industry to better prices.

Be

Now, about Be, this is the flagship of Periodic Audio's lineup, at the moment of writing this review. It is the best sounding of their offerings as well, a rather energetic and upbeat performer, with a V-shaped sound, with a good amount of warmth and thiccness, a more relaxed and musical midrange, and with a sparkly and fun-sounding treble.

[​IMG]

The bass of Be is deep and powerful, although the focus is more centered around 100 Hz, rather than in the sub-bass, making be warm and emotional, working really well with rock, acoustic music, and with older music, rather than electronic. The bass can be a bit over enhanced on an overall level, but not because it distorts, as it is clear as the clearest day we've seen, but rather because it crosses a bit in the basshead territory, giving music a truly warm and friendly sound.

The midrange is sweet and juicy, Be presenting music musically and fun, with a spot-on tone for both male and female vocals. There's a slight tilt towards a musical presentation, with a bit of a more happy tone to things than absolutely neutral, so music tends to sound a bit happier on Be than on a more neutrally-tuned IEM. The warmth of the bass also tilts the midrange a bit, giving some of that analogue-taste to the midrange as well.

The treble of Be is incredibly well extended, with a good amount of sparkle, but without a lot of grain, being smooth and enjoyable to listen to for long periods of time. The extended treble gives them a really airy overall sound, with a really good instrument separation, and with a good amount of soundstage in both width and depth.

All in all, the Be sounds like a great value for its 300 USD Price, they are the flagship of Periodic Audio's lineup, and just like Ti, they can go really loud without distortion, and they can be named one of the most organic-sounding IEMs we tested to date.

Soundstage

All Periodic Audio IEMs have a good amount of soundstage, but we could say that Be has a much larger soundstage in both width and depth, compared to Ti, and they are the biggest-sounding of all Periodic Audio's IEMs. The soundstage of Be becaiscally extends as good as you can wish for it to do for a IEM in this price range, it has a happy and fun presentation, while the soundstage of Ti is good, but it doesn't have the width that Be has.

The instrument separation is quite great on both, and we couldn't complain about either, Be being slightly better in this aspect than Ti, but both having great instrument separation.

ADSR / PRaT

The ADSR and PRaT (Texturization) is slow to natural with Ti, and quicker on Be. This means that with Ti, most textured instruments will be smoot, making most music musical, without an analytical edge, while Be has a more natural overall PRaT, meaning that they are more textury, but again, their presentation is not overly analytical either, leading to a sound that is clear, organic and natural.

Portable Usage

The ortable usage is excellent for both IEMs, neither doesn't require any special care for picking their source, as they are easily driveable from a smartphone, and both are pretty resistant to hiss, and neither doesn't have any hiss from something like Hiby R6.

[​IMG]

It is possible to walk and jog while wearing both Be and Ti, and it is possible to enjoy a long walk wearing both, but we surely would recommend taking care when inserting the IEMs, because they have small vent holes at the top, and if those vents are covered, it could lead to some driver flex.

On this page, Periodic Audio IEMs have no driver flex, and they are all a pleasure to sue for long periods of time.

The cables on both are similar, they are supple and flexible, but the cable aren't quite that interesting-looking on either, making them a great IEM to wear if you don't want to get too much attention, like say, while walking in a not-too-friendly place.

Noise isolation is quite good, and you can walk on a busy street while wearing them, without minding the noise too much, and they don't leak very much, but they are not very isolating in either way, being fit for isolation in most environments, but not being a library dead-silent IEM, nor sealing you away from noise quite like an Etymotic IEM.

Due to their easy-to-drive nature, and their fun sound with most sources, good isolation, and no driver flex, we consider that both reach our golden standards for portability and portable usage.

Comparisons

We'll try comparing both Be and Ti with a few IEMs close in terms of price and performance.

[​IMG]

Periodic Audio Ti vs Dunu Falcon-C - This comparison is interesting because Falcon-C is priced almost the same as Periodic Audio Ti, but it has quite a different sound. Starting with the package, Falcon-C has a great package, just like Ti, but Falcon-C has detachable cables, based on the MMCX standard, while Ti has no detachable cables. Going forward to the comfort, Falcon-C can only be worn over-the-ear, while Ti can be worn both straight-down and over-the-ear. Falcon-C is a bit more open than Ti, so it leaks more and isolates a bit less than Ti. The sound is much more V-shaped on Falcon-C, with more treble emphasis, less bass emphasis, a less tactile bass, and a more balanced overall presentation. In this sense, Falcon-C works better for metal music, and for electronic music, although Ti's tactile bass makes them quite a good fit for electronic music as well. Now, Ti has a much thiccer bass, a much warmer and smoother sound, and if you want the sweetest midrange, but with a thicc bass, then Ti will surely give that to you, along with the option of wearing them straight-down as well if you desire to.

Periodic Audio Be vs Oriveti New Primacy - This is a great example of even pricing between items, although here, ONP and Be are a little clsoer to each other than Ti and Falcon-C were. ONP is a natural and even-sounding IEM, with a nice amount of texture. Starting with the package, ONP has a similarly great package, but it has a detachable cable, compared to Be, which does not. ONP can mainly be worn over-the-ear, while Be can be worn both over-the-ear and straight-down. The comfort is not better with ONP, as they suffer a bit from Driver Flex, while Be does not. In terms of sound, Be is much warmer, with a much more sparkly treble, and a more impressive overall sound, although if you're looking for a flatter, more honest presentation of music, ONP surely achieves that well. If you're looking to be impressed by a thicc, warm, sparkly, and fun sound, Be is a safe bet, while if you're looking for a more even, more natural presentation, ONP is still a great choice, provided you don't mind a bit of driver flex.

Periodic Audio Be vs FiiO FH5 - This is an elephant in the room we couldn't ignore, FiiO FH5 is priced close enough to Be, or rather even lower than Be, so we need to do this comparison most of you asked us to do. Starting with the package, FiiO clearly has an advantage in terms of tips, and FH5 comes with a much more solid-looking cable, they are made of metal, while the shells of Be is made of plastic, and FH5 is an over-the-ear only IEM, while Be is both over-the-ear and straight-down. Now, the comfort isn't necessarily better with FH5, as they have a somewhat shallow insertion depth, so it is easier to lose seal with them, especially considering that Be makes a great seal, but we'd say that both are fairly great in terms of comfort. The sound is quite different actually, with FH5 being similarly thicc as Be is, but with more emphasis and focus on the midrange, with Be having the midrange pulled back, and its treble enhanced. This means that if you prefer a more thicc, but mid-forward presentation, the FH5 makes one heck of a choice, while if you prefer a more V-shaped presentation, with a nice treble sparkle, then Be makes a great choice. The soundstage is also much more airy and wider on Be, while on FH5, it is more intimate, making this a matter of taste.

Recommended Pairings

Both be and Ti are fairly easy to drive and both scale a little with a better source.

[​IMG]

Periodic Audio Be + Shanling M0 - Shanling M0 is a really inexpensive Ultraportable that will drive Be close to its maximum potential, and should provide a really amazing overall price/performance ratio. They can get M0 incredibly loud, and still clear, textured, and with their original signature, as M0 doesn't have much of a tuning of its own, making it an ideal player for those on-the-go, looking for a nice, inexpensive DAP.

Periodic Audio Be + HIDIZS AP80 - HIDIZS AP80 is another great option for those looking for an ultra-portable that is inexpensive, but which provides a great performance. It has a similar overall sound when compared to M0, but while it doesn't have the same great volume wheel, and while it has more corners, its screen is a little better suited for touch usage, and it has forward / backward buttons, making it a great overall portable DAP as well.

Periodic Audio Be + iBasso DX120 - iBasso DX20 is a great little DAP, with a lot going on for it, including the price, which is very acceptable for a device of its power. It has two microSD slots, it has a lot of power, and even a balanced output, making it a pretty future-proof option, and pairing it with Be results in an even better overall texture when compared to ultraportables pairings, DX120 also has a larger display, making it more suited for those with large hands, and for managing large music libraries.

Value and Conclusion

We've been writing about two IEMs from different price brackets, but we enjoyed writing about them together either way, as they are built to look, feel, and wear the same, but they sound quite a little different from each other. We find amazing what Periodic Audio has shown to us, by using exactly the same housing with their IEMs, basically highlighting how much of a difference the driver alone can make for a IEM.

[​IMG]

From the overly smooth and bassy sound of Ti, to the textury V-shaped, organic and natural sound of Be, we feel that both IEMs are quite exceptional in terms of sonic performance and clarity.

Starting with the package, it is similar for both IEMs, and it is a rather basic package in its nature, but Periodic Audio have been nice enough to include a lot of useful data with their IEMs, for example technical data about the exotic material embedded in their driver. There is a good number of tips and accessories, and all Periodic Audio IEMs come with a beautiful metallic carrying case.

Starting with the build quality and aesthetics, both IEMs are well built and they feel solid in hand, they have a basic-looking but effective cable, which is not microphonic at all, and although we wish they had a removable cable, we're happy that they included a high-quality cable for their IEMs. The exceptional customer service of Periodic Audio is a good part in purchasing their products, and a good reason why you can trust their build quality and non-detachable cable.

[​IMG]

The wearing comfort is great, as is the isolation and the ease of pairing them with anything you already have, making both great portable IEMs.

If you're looking for a smooth, thicc, musical and laid-back sound with a tactile bass, a great instrument separation and with a really sweet and juicy midrange, then Periodic Audio Ti should be at the top of your searching list, especially if you want something that does much more than its price point would indicate. For 200 USD, Ti is one deal you don't want to miss, especially if you plan on using both straight-down and over-the-ear wearing styles and if you don't mind being a little careful about the cable, as it is not detachable.

[​IMG]

If you want to hear the best Periodic Audio has to offer, then Be is your best choice, and they are indeed one amazing IEM. Their sound is in line with other Be based headphones and IEMs, with a really nice warm bass, with a juicy and fun midrange, and with a good amount of sparkle in the treble. The soundstage tends to extend quite a lot, in both the width and the depth, with an airy, and well separated sound. Periodic Audio Be should totally be in your list if you're looking for a warm, thicc, moderately V-shaped, airy, and organic-natural sounding IEM.

Playlist used for this review

While we listened to considerably more songs than those named in this playlist, those are excellent for identifying certain aspects of the sound, like PRaT, Texturization, Detail, Resolution, Dynamics, Impact, and overall tonality. We recommend trying most of the songs from this playlist, especially if you're searching for new most, most of them being rather catchy.

Bats - Gamma Ray Burst: Second Date
    Dimmu Borgir - Dimmu Borgir

Breaking Benjamin - I Will Not Bow
    Manafest - Impossible
    Thousand Foot Krutch - The Flame In All Of Us
    Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.
    Infected Mushroom - Song Pong
    Docor P - Bulletproof
    Maximum The Hormone - Rock n Roll Chainsaw
    Rob Zombie - Werewolf, Baby!
    SOAD - Chop Suey

A static Lullaby - Toxic
    Royal Republic - Tommy Gun
    Astronautalis - The River, The Woods
    Skillet - What I Believe

I hope my review is helpful to you, and I hope you have a good evening in there!!

---

Contact us!

---
      WHO23 likes this.
    1. raysclim1568
      Thanks for the absolutely reference review material . I am so hype and jump into Periodic website to place order for Be. I also realized that there's 3 option for the same IEM , which is NEW / refurnished / restock ... for best value of the buck , i selected the re-stock version which is lowest priced. should I be worried about the quality reduced on the cheaper option ? does the 5 years warranty applies on the refurnished and re-stock Stock ?
      raysclim1568, Nov 2, 2018
      Dobrescu George likes this.
  9. Cinder
    Periodic Audio Be Review: Let There Be Sound
    Written by Cinder
    Published Sep 17, 2018
    Pros - Natural sound, very resolving, comfortable sound signature, easy to wear, lightweight, cohesive sound signature, impressive bass performance, great warranty support
    Cons - Needs a build-quality overhaul, particularly in terms of the cable
    Periodic Audio Be Review: Let There Be Sound

Periodic Audio is a company heavily grounded in science. They take an objective, bare-bones, approach to audio that revolves around their R&D, not their marketing. It's not easy to find a company taking such a down-to-Earth development strategy these days and, as such, is quite welcome. The Be is Periodic Audio’s flagship IEM, coming in at a price of $300. Does Periodic Audio’s approach to creating IEMs result in competitive products? Or is the Be just another middle-of-the-pack design?

You can find the Be for sale here on Periodic Audio’s official web store. It includes a limited 5-year warranty.

About My Preferences: Heads up, I’m a person! As such, these words are my opinion, and they are tinged by my personal preferences. While I try to mitigate this as much as possible during my review process, I’d be lying if I said my biases are completely erased. So for you, my readers, keep this in mind:

• My ideal sound signature would be an extended sub-bass with a leveled, but textured, mid-bass.
    • I have a mild treble sensitivity.
    Source: The Be was powered like so:

HTC U11 -> Zorloo ZuperDAC-S-> earphones

Hidizs AP100 3.5mm out -> FiiO A5 3.5mm out -> earphones

HiFiMAN SuperMini -> earphones

PC optical out -> HiFiMe SPDIF 9018 Sabre DAC 3.5mm out -> earphones

All music was served as MP3 @320Kbps or as FLAC.

Tech Specs
    • THD: less than 1% THD at 1mW
    • Cable Length: 1.5m
    Sound Signature
    Sonic Overview:

The Be’s takes on a gentle and tasteful V-shaped sound signature. It has a somewhat warm midrange containing a spike in the 1–2KHz range to aid vocal clarity, a slightly boosted mid-bass, a rumbly sub-bass, and a gently emphasized treble. The Be comes off as a very polite IEM; one that won’t fatigue you with too much bass or make your ears bleed with an overly-energetic treble.

Treble: Songs used: In One Ear, Midnight City, Outlands, Satisfy, Little One, Show Me How To Live (Live at the Quart Festival)

The Be’s treble is articulate, airy, and naturally toned. It does a great job staging high-hats and cymbals and presenting them free from the metallic tinniness that you can sometimes hear in IEMs with a more “pro” focused sound signature. The Be excels in not only capturing details but displaying them in a cohesive and immersive fashion. Similarly, its treble layering is top-notch. There’s a distinct separation between almost all of the instrumentation in even the busiest of songs.

I was unable to find a song that sounded sibilant through the Be. Even my worst-mastered songs, such as Satisfy, were a breeze to listen to.

Midrange: Songs used: Flagpole Sitta, Jacked Up, I Am The Highway, Dreams, Too Close, Little Black Submarines

Unlike its more affordable sibling, the Periodic Audio Ti, the Be does not have a deeply recessed midrange. While it certainly isn’t flat, the Be’s midrange is a bit more present than it would be in your average V-shaped IEM. It has a warm lower midrange and a competent, but not overblown, upper midrange. Mid-bound instrumentation is presented in great detail, the smallest nuances of the song being shown in perfect concert with the treble and bass.

The Be has one of the most rich and lush midranges I have heard to date. It’s just right: not too warm, like the Thinksound Rain2, or too cold like some balanced-armature-based IEMs. As a result, the 1KHz-2KHz range (which is responsible for vocal intelligibility and forwardness) didn’t need to be as intensely emphasized as it has to be in some other IEMs. Well, it's that and Periodic Audio also understands that if you tune the entire midrange correctly you don’t need to just slam an extra 4dB of vocal emphasis to hear vocalists clearly.

Bass: Songs used: Moth, Gold Dust, In For The Kill (Skream Remix), War Pigs (Celldweller Remix)

Rather than simply copy-and-pasting the bass from another IEM in their lineup onto the Be, Periodic Audio seems to have tuned the Be’s bass from scratch to make it work seamlessly with the rest of its sound signature. The Be’s mid-bass is emphasized past the midrange by about 4dB with the sub-bass slowly rolling off from 50Hz down to 20Hz. The sub-bass then picks back up on its way to 10Hz where it decays quickly into inaudibility. This somewhat unconventional sub-bass tuning is a part of what makes the Be’s bass so special: it has a very life-like sound profile that closely mimics what you’d hear in an acoustically-sound room with a dedicated subwoofer, or dare I say, a live instrument? There’s plenty of impact to go around, though less so than with the Ti (Periodic Audio’s most V-shaped IEM). That said, the Be does have a leg up when it comes to rumble: it moves a lot more sub-bass than the vast majority of IEMs in this price range, most of which have hardly any presence below 50Hz at all.

Packaging / Unboxing
    I do not have any packaging on me for the Be. See this review for information about how Periodic Audio packages their IEMs. All of the IEMs that Periodic Audio sell use the same packaging (save for some changes to the text on the boxes from model to model).

Build
    Construction Quality
    The Be has the same exact build as the other IEMs in the lineup, at least externally (save for a difference in cap color). The housings are made of a polycarbonate: a light plastic that supposedly has zero internal resonance. The stress reliefs are made from a somewhat stiff plastic. It doesn’t feel like it does much to relieve cable stress in more extreme situations though. A softer and more pliable material may be more suited to get the job done here.

[​IMG]
    The Be’s nozzles have also been revised. Instead of featuring the colored wired mesh that the V1 used, all the Periodic Audio V2 IEMs use a finely-perforated plate that sits flush with the lip of the nozzle. The right side is colored red to give you a visual indicator of which channel is which.

[​IMG]
    The cable has also been revised to not use as many metal parts. While there’s no difference in functionality, I do miss the small amounts of flair that they gave the V1 units.

And speaking of cables, I think we should talk about the cables that Periodic Audio uses. They aren’t bad per say, they just don’t feel sturdy in a way that you’d expect from a $100-$300 IEM. Increasing the thickness, using a (reasonable) braided cable, or even adding a structural layer of sleeving would each be very much appreciated and add a lot to the fit and finish of the Periodic Audio lineup.

The Be is very comfortable, especially when using the foam eartips that were in the box. The housings are so light that they are barely noticeable when in use. I had no problems when wearing them for over three hours during a project at work. They even worked ok while jogging, though they do stick out a bit too far for comfort for my comfort during rigorous exercise.

Accessories
    The Be comes very well stocked. Inside the box you’ll find:

• 3x pairs of silicone eartips
    • 3x pairs of foam eartips
    • 3x pairs of dual-flange eartips
    • 1x airline adapter
    • 1x 1/4in adapter
    • 1x hard carrying case
    The carrying case is compact but still has plenty of room to easily store the Be. The lid screws on and doesn’t seem to have any looseness issues that a more poorly-machined case might.

Comparisons
    1: Shinola x Campfire Canfield IEM ($195)

The Canfield IEM is, along with the Be, one of my favorite dynamic-driver IEMs on the market right now. It, much like the Be, offers an unabrasive sound signature that is capable of capturing and presenting a large number of details in a cohesive manner. The biggest differentiator between the Canfield IEM and the Be is, on a sonic level, that the Canfield IEM has a flatter midrange and a less-emphasized upper register. As such, the Be has a more open sound signature and a more easily-audible detail retrieval. For over $100 less though, it’s hard to declare a clear winner between the two IEMs, especially when you take into account their build quality and different target sound signatures.

2: Optoma NuForce HEM6 ($350)

The HEM6 has a very different sound signature from the Be. While the Be follows a more traditional (albeit very finely tuned) V-shaped sound signature, the HEM6 has a thicker lower midrange, more withdrawn upper register, and large spike up at 10KHz. This starkly contrasts the Be’s treble tuning given that the Be has a valley at 10KHz, not a peak. Ultimately the decision between the Be and HEM6 will come down to personal preference, though I have to say that the Be more closely aligns with my personal preferences.

Summary
    The Be is a top of the line dynamic-driver IEM. It easily places itself above similarly-priced dynamic driver IEMs, both in terms of technical performance and in terms of cohesion. I have found no flaws with the sonic characteristics of the Be and give it top marks in that respect. That said, to truly be considered in the $300 ring as an overall leader, an IEM’s build quality needs to inspire confidence in its user. While the V2 revision of the Be did tackle some of my concerns with the V1 unit, I’d like to see an overhauled cable design. Overall though, the Be has been an absolute pleasure to use. So if you want to hear some of the best dynamic-driver sound on the market, and don’t mind paying a little bit extra attention to your IEM’s cables, definitely check out the Periodic Audio Be. You won’t be disappointed.

As always, happy listening!
      B9Scrambler likes this.
  10. Moonstar
    The Beryllium In-Ear Monitor
    Written by Moonstar
    Published Jun 21, 2018
    Pros - Great Bass performance,
    Good clarity and separation,
    Comfortable,
    Five (5) year limited warranty,
    Cons - Minimalist Packaging,
    Thin, non detachable cable
    The Beryllium In-Ear Monitor

Introduction:

Periodic Audio is a US company located in Oxnard, California which was established in 2016 with the vision to make high quality portable audio products, with the focus only on the products.

There motto is “Don’t spend money on anything that didn’t add to the central promise of an in-ear monitor: great music wherever you go”.

Periodic Audio has released 3 IEM’s that are using different type of driver materials. The naming scheme of this In-Ear Monitors is inspired by the material shortcut listed on the periodic table. The Mg is using Magnesium, the Ti is for Titanium and Be is for the Beryllium foil diaphragm, which are all manufactured in-house. The Periodic Audio Be is the top model of this company.

Periodic Audio Official Website: http://periodicaudio.com/

20180613_215413.jpg

Disclaimer:

The Periodic Audio Be In-Ear Monitor was provided to me by Periodic Audio as a review sample. I am not affiliated with Periodic Audio or any third person beyond this review and these words reflect my true, unaltered, opinions about the product.

Price and Warranty:

The Periodic Audio Be is available on Periodic Audio’s e-shop under the following link for $299.00. The limited warranty is five (5) years, which I find gorgeous.

Purchase link: http://periodicaudio.com/Be.html

Package and Accessories:

The Perodic Audio Be comes in a simple white cardbox, which is containg the following items;

• 1 x Periodic Audio Be In-Ear Monitor
    • 3 x pairs of double flange eartips
    • 3 x pairs of biflange eartips
    • 3 x pairs of foam eartips
    • 1 x 3.5mm to 6.3mm Adaptor
    • 1 x flight adpter
    • 1 x Golden tin case
    20180621_131048.jpg

The Periodic Audio Be comes with loots of silicone (bi and double flange) and foam eartips that all are quite soft and comfortable to wear.

The package is also including a flight and 3.5mm to 6.3mm adaptor.

20180613_221145.jpg

There is a also tin case in golden color which sports the Periodic Audio logo. The inner side of this case has a velvet coating which should protect the Be from any scratches.

20180613_221000.jpg 20180613_220918.jpg

Design and Build Quality:

The Periodic Audio Be has a very minimalist bullet style housing which is made of polycarbonate plastic material for high strength and zero resonance, which looks and feels durable. The back of the monitor sports the Periodic Audio logo which is the only part on the monitor that is made of metal. On the top of each Beryllium IEM is one bass vent.

Design and Build Quality:

20180613_220136.jpg

On the front of each nozzle is a dust filter, which serves also as left and right indicator due the red (right) and black (left) color combination.

20180613_220340.jpg

The Periodic Audio Be has non detachable cables, which means you have no upgrade option. The cable has a length of 1.5mm and is protected by a soft TPU coating.

20180613_220830.jpg

They strain reliefs are made of butyl rubber, which should protect the cable and the five (5) years of limited warranty is a good addition. The cable is a bit thin and makes a very minimalist appearance.

20180613_220733.jpg

The 3.5mm headphone jack has a straight profile and sports a single ended, gold plated connector.

20180613_220652.jpg

Fit, Comfort and Isolation:

Each monitor has a weight of 2.8gr and a total weight of 9.3gr (inclusive cable) that makes is very to a very lightweight In-Ear monitor. The Periodic Audio Be is comfortable to wear with and above average isolation, which should be good enough to use it in the public.

Features:

The Periodic Audio Be has a single dynamic driver with a 100% pure beryllium foil diaphragm, a bonded PEEK surround and N48H grade magnet. All components inside this In-Ear Monitor are 100% designed and tooled in-house by Periodic Audio.

Technical Specifications:

• THD : Less that 1% THD @ 1mW

b) Material Properties:

• Melting Point : 1560 Kelvin
    • Speed of Sound : 12890 meters/second
    • Young’s Modulus : 287 Gigapascals (for information wikipedia)
    • Brinell Hardness : 1320 Megapascals (for information wikipedia)

c) Physical Properties

• Cable Length : 1.5m
    • Mass : 2.8 / 9.3 g (IEM/Set)
    • Op. Temperature : -20 to +50° C
    • Operational Humidity : 0-95% Relative Humidity
    • NRR : 31.3 dB (foam eartip)
    • Overall Length : 21mm
    • Body Diameter : 12 mm
    • Nozzle Diameter : 6 mm

Frequency Graphic:

Be FR.jpg

Drivability (Impedance):

The Periodic Audio Be IEM is quite sensitive IEM, which make is to a easy to drive gear. The nominal impedance is 32 Ohm and is suitable for the use with portable sources like Smartphones, Tablet’s or DAP’s without the need of any amplifier.

Sources:

a) In Ear Monitor : Periodic Audio Be, Lear LUF Kaleido, Dunu Falcon C
    b) DAP/DAC : Cayin N5II, Audirect Beam, Chord Mojo, Hidizs DH1000

20180613_220024.jpg

c) Albums & Tracks used for this review:

• Steve Srauss – Mr. Bones (Flac 16bit/44kHz)
    • Dire Straits – Money for Nothing (DSD 64)
    • Gothart – Jovano, Jovanke (Spotify)
    • Otto Liebert & Luna Negra – The River (DSF) – Binaural Recording
    • GoGo Penguin – Fanfares (Tidal Hi-Fi)
    • Casey Abrams – Robot Lover (Tidal Hi-Fi)
    • Sertab Erener – Aşk (Spotify)
    • Jehan Barbur – Yollar (Spotify)
    • Minor Empire – Bulbulum Altin Kafeste (Spotify)
    • London Grammar – Interlud (Live) (Flac 24bit/44kHz)
    • Liquid Tension Experiment 2 – Acid Rain (Spotify)
    • Opeth – Damnation (Tidal Hi-Fi)
    • Megadeth – Sweating Bullets (Flac 16bit/44kHz)
    • Metallica – Sad But True (Flac 24bit/96kHz)
    • The Glitch Mob – Mind of A Beast (Flac 24bit/96kHz)
    • Lorde – Team (Flac 24bit/48kHz)
    • Tom Player – Resonace Theory “Album” (Tidal Hi-Fi)
    • Deeperise feat. Jabbar – Move On (Spotify)

Sound Analysis and Comparisons:

Please note that this review is written after a burn-in process of approx. 100 hours. I have use the double flange eartips that where included to the package.

a) Sound Signature and Tonality:

I can describe easily the Periodic Audio Be as an IEM with a U shaped sound signature, which has a warmer then neutral tonality.

20180613_215808.jpg

b) Bass:

The Periodic Audio Be has some strong and even bass, which extends pretty well. The sub-bass area is reaching to a quite low register and the bass has some nice rumble without to overshadow the whole sound spectrum.

The mid-bass of the Periodic Audio Be are prominent, but sounds in most situation quite controller. There where some minor control issues at the very beginning (first 10 – 50 hours), especially with some bass heavy tracks like The Glitch Mob’s – Mind of A Beast, which is now much better after a burn-in of 100 hours.

The overall bass speed is satisfying with genres like EDM, Trance, POP, etc. but is a bit slow in some situations, like in the complex song of Liquid Tension Experiment 2’s “Acid Rain” which is my new reference track regarding for the performance of speed and control.

c) Midrange:

The midrange of the Periodic Audio Be is quite warm and smooth due some mid-bass emphasis, but it doesn’t sound overly thick or too thin.

Instrument and vocals have a full bodied presentation and both male and female vocals sounding intimate and quite emotional. The vocal performance of Sertab Erener’s song “Aşk” sounds pretty controlled, nearly sibilance free and natural. The separation and definition of instruments is above average and there is a quite clear presentation.

The Be is not a detail monster and reference IEM for critical listening, but is has some pretty good detail retrieval, which will satisfy many users at this price point. My only complain could come to the missing of a hint of transparency and airiness in this area, which is a matter of personal preference.

The Periodic Audio Be has a upper midrange emphasis, which adds some nice dynamics to the sound, but the good thing about the Be is, that there is no any remarkable sibilance and harshness at this area that could be a result of the Beryllium diaphragm. The Be sounds pretty controlled in this and is surprisingly suitable for long listening periods, due the fatigue free presentation.

d) Treble:

The treble range of the Periodic Audio Be has some boost around the 6 kHz mark which is adding clarity and definition to the overall presentation. The detail level and treble extension of the Periodic Audio Be is also quite good.

The treble presentation around this range was slightly aggressive for the first 10- 40 hours, which sounds now much more controlled, especially after the use of the double flange eartips which has smoothed out the overall presentation.

The upper treble range has some roll off, especially around the 10 kHz range, which is a avoiding any treble harshness in return of the missing of some air and sparkle. The good thing about this tuning is that it allows the listener a fatigue free listening, even with some songs like Metallica – Sad But True. The speed and control is pretty good and should impress many users, especially regarding to the price.

e) Soundstage:

The Periodic Audio Be has a nice 3D like soundstage presentation that expands quite natural in both directions. The main difference is that there is slightly less depth then wide. The placement of vocals and instruments is natural and precise.

20180613_215610.jpg

Some Comparisons:

Vs. Lear LUF Kaleido:

The first noticeable difference between this two IEM’s is the bass character. The Lear LUF Kaleido has even more sub-bass rumble than those of the Periodic Audio Be. The sub-bass of the LUF Kaleido are reaching to a lower register while the Periodic Audio Be has the upper hand for speed and control.

The bass of the Periodic Audio Be has slightly more extension and doesn’t sound as warm as the LEAR LUF Kaleido.

The mid-bass region of the LUF Kaleido has slightly more impact, while the Periodic Audio Be has better bass decay. The Lear LUF Kaleido sounds a bit muddy and muffled in this area, while the Periodic Audio Be has addition clarity and control.

The LEAR LUF Kaleido has one of the warmest midrange presentations in my In-Ear collection. The midrange of the LUF Kaleido sounds fuller and warmer then those of the Periodic Audio Be which is already a quite warm sounding IEM. The Periodic Audio Be has also additional clarity and transparency in comparison to the softer sounding Lear LUF Kaleido.

The vocals and instruments are sounding a bit more emotional with the Lear KUF Kaleido, while the Periodic Audio Be has additional detail. The LUF Kaleido sounds slightly more controlled and is less sibilant in the upper midrange compared to the Beryllium IEM.

The Periodic Audio Be sounds brighter and shares some additional air in the treble range, compared to the Lear LUF Kaleido, which is missing some sparkle. The treble of the Beryllium IEM has better extension, while the speed performance of both IEM’s is nearly identical.

The upper treble range of the LEAR LUF Kaleido is slightly more controlled and has also a smoother presentation. The Periodic Audio Be shares slightly more detail in this area and sounds also more lifelike due the boost around the 12 kHz range.

Both IEM’S are pretty good regarding to soundstage performance. The LUF Kalido and Be have nearly the same depth performance, while the Periodic Audio Be has the upper hand for soundstage wideness.

20180613_220533.jpg

Vs. DUNU Falcon-C

The Dunu Falcon-C has a V shaped and the Periodic Audio Be a U shaped sound signature. Both IEM’s have a strong sub-bass presentation which extends quite similar. The Periodic Audio has slightly better control in this area, while the Dunu Falcon-C is reaching to a lower register.

The bass of the Periodic Audio be has more impact with a quicker decay and has also a more dynamic presentation. Both IEM’s sharing a nice sense of power, while the Be has better control in some bass heavy songs.

The Periodic Audio Be sounds fuller and has also more mid-bass slam than those of the DUNU Falcon-C, which is a result of the boost in this area. The Dunu Falcon-C has the upper hand for clarity and sounds slightly more control in the bass department.

The midrange of both IEM’s sounds quite detailed at a price range between 200 – 300 USD, while the Periodic Audio Be sounds slightly warmer and thicker in this area then those of the DUNU Falcon-C. The Falcon-C’s midrange sounds a bit recessed end thin due the V shaped sound signature and missing of warmness & fullness due its mid-bass tuning. Period Audios Be’s vocal and instrument presentation is quite forward due the U shapes sound signature.

The Dunu Falcon-C on has the upper hand for clarity and transparency in the midrange but is missing some emotion and romance that the Beryllium diver IEM has.

The Periodic Audio Be sounds smother and controlled in the upper midrange and is less pron to sibilance and harshness then the DUNU Falcon-C.

The DUNU Falcon-C has a slightly brighter and airier presentation with addition sparkle on the top end. The Periodic Audio Be on the other hand sounds less bright and has the upper hand for control and extension, with its more natural like presentation.

The Dunu Falcon-C sounds detailed and has a pretty good resolution for a mid-fi IEM, but sounds a bit thin and unnatural compared to the Periodic Audio Be, which shares additional micro detail and more natural presentation. The Dunu Falcon-C has more stress in the upper treble area, than those of the Be and has some noticeable sibilance problems with mezzo-soprano voices like Sertap Erener

The soundstage performance of the Dunu Falcon-C is pretty good, especially when it comes to depth, which is a result of the midrange tuning. The Periodic Audio Be has a wider stage, while the Dunu Falcon-C offers slightly more air and depth for instruments.

20180613_215701.jpg

Conclusion:

The Periodic Audio Be is a good choice if you are looking for a great bass performance and overall clarity of the sound. It is lightweight and comfortable to wear and ideal for long listening periods. The only downside could be the cable, which is not detachable, but please not that Periodic Audio offers a 5-year limited warranty.

Pros and Cons: