Paiaudio PDM7 6BA + 1DD Hybrid Universal IEM

General Information

Paiaudio PDM7 6BA + 1DD Hybrid 2Pin 0.78mm Audiophile Earphone In-Ear Monitor IEM

Specification

Cable Length: 1.3m
Package
Paiaudio PDM7 earphone
Carying bag
3 pair of silicone eartips (S/M/L)

$269.00

Screen Shot 2024-06-09 at 7.32.54 AM.png

Latest reviews

Headphoneus Supremus
Pros: The single most exciting IEM to cross my desk this year.
Why?
Even, complete and competent
Fast, detailed, clean and vivid.......oh, and contrasty too!
6BAs in total with 2 ultra-treble BAs for those TOTL Flagship details
1 robust yet detailed and speedy DD for the bass kicks
Vocals found in the perfect place of not too forward or not too laid back
Nice full-stage made to seem even bigger by careful and realistic music itemizations
Somehow walking that fine-line of detailed, but not too bright or intense
Goes with most sources and cables
Finally TOTL details and resolution at a modest price point
Cons: They will sell-out quickly and become scarce
Slightly deep fitting, not not terrible, may have you step one size down in ear-tips
Disclaimer:
This review finds the description of the Paisudio PDM7..........an IEM I have fallen in-love with. At the start (a week ago) I thought the PDM7 was great, but then the unthinkable happened. Yep, I found that the PDM7 held a tuning that seemed to relay most information, that the 6BAs had music life covered in total for me. :) That the stage was very competent, that the DD bass was both deep, fast and controlled, that fact and that there was an introduction of treble elements into the stage that offered details only before found at TOTL Flagship prices. That this one ear-phone was not only a standout due to value, it slowly became a most favorite ear-phone regardless of cost, ranking as one of the single best I have ever heard.

Frnt TOP.jpeg

Frequency range: 20-20000Hz
Connector: 2pin 0.78 mm
Plug: 3.5mm Line Type
Cable Length: 1.3m

If the PDM7 tone blends with you, you will be taken to that special place. That place in your music interpretation where things start to become a little more personable. A place where those songs you used to like 2nd best become new favorites. A situation where you wake in the middle of the night and become so curious as to music playback that you grab the PDM7 and your DAP and find yourself again at one with your music, your Wife sleeping next to you, unaware of the places you’re traveling in this late night sonic landscape.

DSC_0358.jpegac.jpeg

This folks is the new reality we have today with sub $300 IEMs. A place to call home that is so digestible and so familiar, yet holding that small flair, I don’t know what it is, but I sure to notice if that flair is missing in an IEM. I mean sure I’m going to later get to maybe why these are so good, sure I have my ideas. Still nothing I write will ever come close to the PDM7 experience, the experience that becomes dear to your heart. You see plainly speaking the PSM7 is one of my single most favorite IEMs ever, it really is and it joins the Encore K-10, the IER-Z1R, the Penon Volt and the Penon 10th Anniversary as now there are four IEMs in my list of favorites.

Music, it is the vary reason you are reading at this moment in time!
DSC_0504.jpeg d ddone.jpeg

E-Mantra
Ascending
Daydream (Dense Remix)

44.1kHz - 24bit
Yes, some may say using fully electronic music is not Kosher, that we are bypassing rules or something. I think any music no matter how it is made qualifies for a song interpretation. At the start this bell-like extra attack sample has been used here. Meaning there is a combination of elements here which becomes satisfying due to both the intro being long winded, and you can hear the bass throbs at 01:26. That before the bass starts we are gifted with much of the same instruments like l what is possibly a string effected guitar or some kind of string instrument. Yet those sounds are fully echoing from side to side and of high toned when they go there. It’s just that we are not into the presence of this stage until finally we find ourselves in the middle of it all. Then the drums start at 02:08. But the bass before that takes place is one of amusement. Amusing in that it is truly friendly. What a stupid word to use to describe bass, but I’m going with it. Why is it friendly, the tone of the bass holds a round and fully detailed yet deep and satisfying demeanor. That it is floating here, that there becomes air-pressure underneath it, holding it up somehow? When the drums hit they too are positioned in such a smooth yet firm place, you just have to call them friendly too. Lol. I know? Friendly drums, and this song too, I must come-off as hippyish!

So we already know that the skill here is to keep adding on, to add-one more track, one by one.............You know first it was the sparkles. Oh, did I forget to talk about the sparkles, those are from the dedicated 2 tip-top treble BAs. Yep, the DPDM has 7 drivers, and while one is this DD, the other six are BAs. What this does is give you both focus into how the stage is presented and spacial clarity or origination. Yep, little tiny sparkly noises come from way-up there, and it turns out to be the highlight of our playback. Why? They are such well done little fairy bells, holding the vary magic we came for and what will become added to our memory when we leave this precious place.

The PDM7 has those details we used to have to pay top-dollar for.

At mid song I changed out the Penon OS849 cable and (then) rolled in the Penon ASOS+. The DAP is the Sony WM1Z and the ear-tips are the TANGZU X DIVINUS Velvet ear-tips. This will be my final set-up for the entire review, as it took me a few days of listening to get here.

Though I will be rolling (a few) cables in for new perspectives in PDM7 sound later in the review. So I spend a few days getting to know an IEM sound, then will once again roll cables to try and investigate further what tone possibilities are possible. As such I slowly did try a few cables to try and discover the hidden potentials inside the PDM7, using the Penon OS849, the included cable and a few others slowly learning about the effects of burn-in and dialing in closer to what my instinctual ideas for the PDM7.

One reason is the ASOS+ is just the cable for the PDM7, yes better than the included cable, yet the ASOS+ is $215.00.......and better than the Penon OS849, simply because the stage is bigger. Yet all is not perfect in paradise, as yes the ASOS+ is even better than the ASOS, yet playback holds a more smooth idea of the ultimate high treble here. Yep, this style of playback should reach ultimate transparency with the treble of the WM1Z, yet it is just ever so slightly both itemized and dramatically showing wonderful 11kHz items, yet there is a tad of smoothness there too, which kind a means we have the best of both worlds in that, yes there is all the higher-up treble details like a TOTL Flagship IEM, yet at the same time this tone affords us all day listening times. The Velvets were chosen as these nozzles are slightly longer than normal so a wide-bore that holds a slightly smaller size gets deeper fitment here.......and the final results are pretty close to perfect.

I also found this PDM7 combo with the ASOS+ also works totally well with the WM1A!

The ASOS+ seems to offer stage size and a slight added note weight that goes to further the extra image density found with the physical WM1Z as far as bass heaviness. Aso though the ASOS+ is running with the added permanent 4.4mm Purple Plug. Yep, this small extra add-on (different from the regular ASOS) goes to add warmth and image density.

SO really at this point we have it all, a super big yet smooth stage to find our imaginative wild flowers on our sonic walk through the forest of the mind.

Back to the song:
Right at around 02:50 there becomes the main difference between the PDM7 and most other IEMs in the PDM7 price point. This introduction of treble detail. A swoosh of air and the introduction of a rhythm high-up electronic drum machine pace provider is a new addition to our sonic landscape, new but pivotal to our experience.........and even though the song is 09:18 long, the musician waited all this time to introduce another virtual rhythm element.

Here we find it playful as such it travels slightly from the center to the right. Only with the PDM7 we are now witnessing this upper detail (pretty much) identical to a TOTL Flagship. Yep, those 2 ultra high treble BAs do their thing, fully separated by virtual air inside the top of the stage. It is these small details that hold us spellbound and transfixed.

Sure it is this Didgeridoo sound that would normally hold our focus of attention with lesser IEMs, as that is one of the larger sonic images, but the PDM7 is about balance and of a slight warmth that is forwarding each song element into what sounds like the perfect location, tone and volume level here. Each small tone is like the mechanism of a pocket watch, with all the workings seemingly moving in rhythmic unison.

At 04:16 the drums stop for a moment, the bass stops too! Come to think of it, our tip-top rhythm section has ceased also. At 06:26 we find that the little accent is reintroduced with a breath of air.......and the song is in full stride once more. At 07:50 we find another breakdown and maybe some artists would use this area of increased quietness to add a vocal snippet, but no E-Mantra is more about the instrumentation, only using it to express his message. Yet as soft as this song is even at 08:00 we realize now that the drums and bass additives are never coming back.............until the quiet end at 09:18.

R-10082785-1491303209-8484.jpg

Paiaudio PDM7 Guitars:
Look, I could have chosen 100s of songs to get my point across. Yet this song is both well recorded and has basically everything…….a way the guitars are in a perfect balance of instruments.

Roundabout
Allegaeon
Roundabout (Single)

44.1kHz - 16bit
When I said this song contains guitars I really meant that along with electric guitars they have also showcased acoustic guitars in places. The most important aspect here, and I have gone over all my test tracks, to learn this timbre is pretty much really correct? When even attempting bright in-your-face attempts at guitar distortion..................we are most likely introduced with a close proximity to what the band and producers were thinking as far as guitar tone?

At 00:08 we get our first sample of guitar harmonics. As such this song has been endlessly covered and copied, as there was a time when every kid on the block played this intro himself. Placing the fingers as such.

And still to this day this song holds magic partially due to just how the guitar sounds here. The beautiful thing here is this intro has been recorded well and we find the guitar tone front and center, you really couldn't ask for a better placement into the stage. Though later we will learn this is not by chance, that there is also a balance of drums and vocals, bass and the works coming into play. As what we will find out is the Paiaudio PDM7 is all about both clarity and balance in the end. At 00:35 the bass and drums make their entrance, and you have to question, are they too intense, because they are clear as day?

Hybrids:
You see ultimately that is what Hybrids are about. That there is a separation of song elements for more separated than single DDs. Yet there is something more here, the fact that somehow the BAs are also including chord reverberations, maybe more than normal. I say this as there is a guitar effect where at 00:31 there is this backwards rhythm support that has a stereo pan to the left and right with a deeper woody fall-off of a a single strum chord…….even at 00:15 you can hear the quietness of the fingers on the fret board…..ultimate detail here. At 00:44 we get the introduction in full force. The fact that you can hear bass, drums and a cymbal all at once (once again) shows separation and individualization at hand. At 00:51 the electrified guitar comes in clear as a bell. At 00:59 we hear the splash of cymbals creating an airy yet controlled effect into perfect positioning into the stage. This is right before the vocals which come in a half-second later.

roundabout-5e92823aaeab8.jpg

Vocals:
On very first listen and on the WM1A and with the OS849 cable the vocals were a tad more forward, though being the WM1A is mid centric, here we are living in a more WM1Z V DAP response and combined with the ASOS+ the vocals sit a slight position back, yet they are placed really perfect for me. That’s the thing, these are not totally forward positioned vocal IEMs, no. They are at their core perfectly balanced examples of how to approach a tune. Where just like always we find the vocals interlocked and positioned both clear and correct, but not forward, or behind!

03:16!
One of many great bass drops. Look I could talk about this song all day, the fact that the drums are so playful and showcasing the drummers ability to add accents……but this review isn’t about the musicianship here, it is about how the PDM7 relates that musicianship with the same emotion that was intended upon the song being played in the first place. Finding balance and evenness, that and complete and natural tone to come to terms with the song accomplishment.

At 03:41 we are witness to how many vocal tracks are used here. Meaning there are a lot of effects on the vocals, and we seem to hear the gambit of them? Like 4 vocals going on at once….especially at 03:46! At 04:41 comes the classic break that everyone remembers from the original.

The cyclical keys played traveling about the stage……….the songs signature guitar harmonics once more……At 05:07 there is a whisper, lol……..a whisper taking full advantage of the songs quietness at this point. I can’t quite make-out what he said……but maybe someone else knows?

At 05:22…….
In and around the lake

Mountains come out of the sky they stand there

Twenty four before my love and I ‘ll be there

Emotion:
I’m crying, as this is just so good. It is all that we signed-up for……….the very reason we are even doing this hobby. Glad no one is here to see this stupid fool.

Then the leads hit us! :santa:

The final Song:
See the thing is I could have used any song and found nirvana. Don’t believe me in how well rounded the Paiaudio PDM7 is, buy one and find out for yourself. Yep, I’m that confident about it! Ultimately it is always up to yourself to learn the character of an IEM, yet really I’m surprised just how well any chosen music goes. Also after a few days of testing this review wrote itself in order. Meaning I did some side-by-sides, and some cable rolls, enough to kind of learn which direction to take, and because music tests are getting to know an IEM, and the most fun, I put them at the start.

the-dark-knight-rises-500a57d810a77.jpg

Hans Zimmer
The Dark Knight Rises OST
Mind If I Cut In?

192kHz - 24bit
Really this song title is what I envision for the Paiaudio PDM7 as it enters the IEM marketplace. Cutting in and stealing the hearts of IEM listeners everywhere. But back to music, this starts out with somber violins and they hold great timbre. There are two parallel tracks here. A metronome of piano/synth notes which are behind everything and show us the actual pace going on. On top of that there is this piano of the recurring theme music which has only a few notes. Yet these notes are both simple and guide us as we listen. The notes start at 00:41 accessing a known theme here, yet what makes the magic is the fact that these piano notes sound very very real, also they hold reverberations into the stage that seems longer than usual for BAs? The other thing is with these 6 BAs the musical information is not back-set, but wonderfully forward and in-your-face……….you can touch it almost. I mean that is the thing this piano is jumping around the stage all over the place and we can track it….at 00:55. Again the notes are clear as day and interplay with the background metronome notes. At 01:34 we realize that in fact subtly there are now a lot of features to this track. And due to the complexity we hear that background metronome gaining volume and the piano notes are also louder and spread out among the stage……building in intensity.

The drop.....
At 02:06 the drop occurs. This single bass note conveys the magic inside the track. And this is Hybrid IEMs doing their thing. Only one step better is that placement of the note here. The note here is on-going and seems to waver from stage side to stage side. At 02:47 the note is still progressing in volume and intensity. Finally at around 02:54 it lets up on us.

Music ending:
Sure it is the maker of the BAs that has a lot to do with how successful this works out, also the tune seems to be just right, for me anyways. As such the Paiaudio PDM7 is very very balanced and goes with a number of sources and cables. This I have found to be true with the best IEMs, that we are not needing a source as a tool to fix anything, that we also don’t need the music to be a tool to make an IEM correct, as the PDM7 is sitting around always correct simply waiting for the next file to come along. And for me I simply gave up, I gave up as I could keep finding music interesting and old albums holding a mental focus that simply allowed me to keep listening. It was truly the opposite of finding one or two songs that were thrilling, the PDM7 made whole albums fun, and the next in line fun too!

Cable rolls, from the top down.
Here I use a few cables to both learn what the PDM7 is about and to showcase attributes.

DSC_1122.jpeg121.jpeg

1) Penon ASOS+ in 4.4mm (permanent Purple Plug)
2) Penon OS849 in 4.4mm
3) Penon GS849 in 4.4mm
4) Penon Mix with 4.4mm modular plug (Only modular plug tested today)
5) Penon OSG in 4.4mm (permanent Rhodium Plug)

6) Included cable with permanent 4.4mm plug

Look I could spend all day describing these cable rolls, if you are interested in a particular cable, look it up and read the ingredients.

1) The ASOS+:
This ASOS+ is a favorite and adds two main traits here, the note weight and wide, tall and front to back stage. Part of this weight is from the Purple plug that has been added to the front. It simply goes to make the PDM7 sound both thick and large. It is my very favorite way to go and will be used long after this review is over. But a big part of the testing method is to draw out results, meaning I waited and learned to understand the included cable and Penon OS849 for a few days, then rotated in finally the ASOS+. What was truly fascinating was a found the ASOS+ to be smoother and of a bigger wider stage, where the OS849 was more upfront and filling out the middle, more in your face style of tune. That in no way is the ASOS+ sleepy or dull, that maybe due to the PDM7 character that it was the IEM itself which gave a more contrasty difference between the ASOS+ cable and Penon OS849 cable. Neither cable was colored, only revealing of character traits which could be appreciated as both unique in their own way.

Where sure the ASOS+ was more luxurious like a fluffy piece of furniture, where the OS849 was more strict and ridged like sitting at a desk offering both more forward vocals and a pushed mid place I simply didn't know the OS849 had it in it to proclaim?

2) Penon OS849:
This cable has a long history and was introduced by Penon back at the very end of 2017. It is one of the lower priced cables on test here today. Yet this was very revealing as to having next to the ASOS+! Where the OS849 puts the pants on the clarity, pushing what was on the outskirts of the stage (with the ASOS+) to be of a lesser stage but more forward and touchable.

Yes, more brittle than what the ASOS+ does on a regular basis, but this still works well…….where here we are witnessing all of those upper BAs in action. Really in some ways more clear than what the ASOS+ is doing, yet that ounce of smoothness from the ASOS+ has me going louder in replay and endless listening sessions!

Still if you want resolution or at least the feeling of up front resolution the Penon OS849 brings it 24/7. I have a disclosure to make! The OS849 was one of my single most used cables besides the included cable upon finding the PDM7 in the mail. As such with the OS849 being non-colored, I thought that it would be a good join to learn about the PDM7, when hindsight being 20/20...........the PDM7 was different than any IEM I have ever tested. Yep, the PDM7 has forward vocal and upper treble elements which the OS849 enhanced, to even a place that may be slightly too much for some? Maybe, maybe not........this detail is never harsh or strident, it is just there, and the stage is big, just not as flowing to the outskirts as the ASOS+. Yet I can't help but think these first few days of vocal character with the PDM7 were directly responsible from the OS849? The later moving to other cables adds after burn-in, I noticed a slightly more integral vocal positioning. So, my advice is live with your PDM7 for a week or two, and if you think you may be game for a more forward vocal display, get the OS849. What goes along for the ride with the enhanced vocals is bigger and unearthed treble details and pace compared to the great included cable.

3) Penon GS849:
Out of the 4 different models in the 849 series the GS849 was my favorite. Here it is doing its thing propelling a thicker more expanded midrange, with added density from the gold, but once again with all these BAs in action, the GS849 shows itself to be more forward and offering clarity which is even more enhanced with small cymbal items scattered out amongst the stage.

Really this is good, but I must have spent too many days with the ASOS+.........as it holds my interest and affection. Still if this is all you had...........a super-duper clear and in-your-face action, and at a nice pace too! All the pace! To where if the GS849 was the only other cable you owned the PDM7 would take advantage of the extra resolution and detail, and would work out on a daily basis.

4) Penon Mix:

This should be fun. As every cable up to this point I have tried before with the PDM7. But this one, well.............I have no idea. Though I do know from past experience this cable will bring the air to play!

Results:
Actually not as vivid as I was expecting..........there is a full-on density due to the pure copper strands and a wideness into the stage due to the pure silver. Again this is fine, there is a sound that we could totally get used to, as nothing is off or wrong, just another way to interpret PDM7 playback. Where here there is a nice extra shelf of high-up replay........allowing us to enjoy the details, all of them. Still nothing is too hot or forward, though I’m not listening for hours on end to this combo?

5) The Penon OSG:

There is a special place in my heart for the OSG. Even since I did the review on the OSG, it has found new uses and added additional interests.........in what its possible potentials are. It may even win-out over the ASOS+ as I have-not even tried the OSG till now?

Results:
Both smoother than the 849 crowd. Maximum clarity found with even little tiny trinkets of items…..that, and the Graphene smoothness that adds both a style of warmth yet still expands the stage out.

Though here what is a blast is great items of separation into the stage. More clean than the ASOS+ but not quite the stage size, still there is no arguing that this is special and fun. Less intense than what the OS849 and GS849 did, and even a little more polished than the Mix.

I could totally get used to this style of replay, as it also goes to make the PDM7 have a slightly more trim bass and fun crunchy guitars. This also adds a slight reserve to the mix, making not only the bass set back, but the treble holding a smooth yet slightly warmer way high-up trebles in action. It is hard to describe, except this is a known character of the OSG, and once again the PDM7 is allowing for those upper details to be heard, but also to be noted for the specific OSG character they contain!

6) Finally the included cable:
Look, the last couple of days I have come to really respect this cable, not only is it 4.4mm, but totally ergonomic and soft. It probably gets you 90% of the PDM7 potential, yet to fully hear the PDM7 you need to roll cables, as the included cable is great, but they can’t include a $300.00 cable with an IEM of this price. The included cable is the same as the one I received with the last Pi 3.14 Audio PLIISEN727. To where at first listen I came to understand how the included cable brought about simple easy to use ergonomics being it was so soft and flexible.

Secondly in my very first days I started to learn how the Penon OS849 was an attempt at a more forward sound, added silver making vocals even more intense. As such after a day of the OS849 this particular IEM could be looked at as almost not needing what the OS849 does, though what came along with an increase in OS849 resolution not only was better vocal positioning, but more vibrant cymbal splashes and high-up rhythm accents. And none of this was really too intense or colored, just in higher contrast than what the included cable could do. This extra 10% was an extra level of clarity............though not mandatory to PDM7 enjoyment. Why? Because the PDM7 is already super clear in these areas and focussed just by how the PDM7 is naturally.

The PDM7 could never be looked at as sleepy or dull, and maybe to some the extra add-on of Penon OS849 demeanor could even be looked at as too much, while it did unleash never before heard details.

DSC_1120.jpegas.jpeg

Bottom row: Penon Volt, and PLIISEN727

DSC_1045.jpegex.jpeg
DSC_1044.jpegwx31.jpeg

Penon 10th Anniversary:
Listen, I have had the PDM7 in my ears almost continuously since they arrived. Going to the WM1Z and Penon ASOS+. The ASOS+ cable on the 10th is a treat. The 10th slightly warmer, holding the same great well roundedness but not as vibrant in the midrange, where really we are splitting hairs here, but the contrast and vibrance is a fact of life for the PDM7, holding a brighter and faster glow like a fire you have just fanned. Where there becomes a ever so slight laid-backness to the 10th, that and the bass is not as separated but becomes like an old friend, yet not as contrasty nor as sparkly.........or as intense, the 10th offering a subtle less fluorescent timbre.

The 10th has been my ongoing favorite Penon, and it still is, yet this PDM7 blast of fresh-air can’t be overlooked and way less money too!

DSC_1047.jpeg3d3.jpeg

The Penon Volt:
Also again not as PDM7 mid forward, nor as contrasty in demeanor. The Volt is known for its midrange, but somehow the PDM7 gives it a run for its money, almost making the bass seem less forward, the midrange less forward.........and only the old Volt treble additives coming off with added smoothness and detail……yet it was the supposed to be the mids that the Volt excelled at? More Volt full, yet that fullness is taking a step back all the while being maybe a little more complete, just maybe? I will admit it is hard to shift gears here, maybe if I was listening to the Volt all week I would offer a different perspective?

PLIISEN727:
A wild bright shelf of energy. Though I can see how the two are distant cousins, one IEM from the country, the other...........sophisticated and city-wise! Better more real PDM7 bass, and better vocals with what the PDM7 is doing. Full-on density and note-weight added to what the PDM7 does 24/7. While sure this stage is not bad at all and the vivid (laughable) PLIISEN727 brightness is taking the goods and white washing the tune into a bleached-out idea of what is right. It all is anemic and thin, no matter how we try to slice it. Where is the note weight? Even electric guitars have a thin/bright tabletop-radio turned-up (to loud for comfort) style of tone.

While maybe Paiaudio got somehow schooled into taking the half-baked ideas from this past model and walking forward into success with what are now 100% different abilities?

DSC_1058.jpeg2s.jpeg

DSC_0509.jpegxw1w.jpeg

Build:
About 1/4 bigger than the PDM7s little brother......the PLIISEN727, here we can see they had to make room and still have the come-out results relatively comfortable. Probably the Penon Fan 2 is the first IEM that comes to mind when trying to get fitment? Yet where the Fan 2 had metal nozzle ends, here we are also much shorter to basically find perfection in a deep fitting IEM design. (Still considered deep fitting though) I say all this but just so you know it is the deepest fitting of 3 other comparisons today. Where the prior PLIISEN727 had no lip to hold ear-tips on well, the PDM7 has a bevel yet the same exit nozzle holes. Also the side vent has been replaced with a silver vent off the back of the IEM. Weighing in at just 5 grams a piece, the PDM7 finds itself medium large in size, though the semi custom shape does wonders to make it seem even smaller while resting in your ear. All and all I have to reward it as one of the very best fitting IEMs, as the nozzle is long enough to require smaller ear-tips than I regularly use, still fit is great!

DSC_0510.jpegw.jpeg
DSC_0511.jpegdone.jpeg

Response to source:
The more the PDM7 burned-in the most easy it was to join with any source. Meaning as the bass became more full it kind of evened-out playback from thinner sources, where often this will occur where the best IEMs find a home in many places. Cheers!

DSC_1117.jpegex.jpeg

DSC_0329.jpegas.jpeg

DSC_0403.jpegwcw.jpeg

DSC_0340.jpegone.jpeg

DSC_0382.jpegcw.jpeg

Conclusion:
More clear and more forward than most of my past favorites..........a more forward midrange than the Penon 10th, still that not saying much as the 10th is not always known for its mids. More vibrant and maybe just a tad less sophisticated than the Volt, but the price difference is crazy as the Penon Volt is $799.00 and the PDM7 is $269.00. Is it the most sound for $269.00 I have ever heard ever…….yes it is. I know this is hard to believe but the PDM7 is not missing anything. The only thing the PDM7 is missing is you. :)

The PDM7 is clean, fast and articulate. The 7 drivers are all doing something and covering the frequency spectrum. What the 2 tip-top BAs do will challenge you to ever want a EST driver set-up ever again. The PDM7 is the very essence of China made value, that sonic value at its finest. Over the last week I liked the PDM7 a lot, then I crossed over into loving it, regardless of price. I see it as offering a new value and becoming my favorite of the year regardless of price. What I’m trying to say is I’m not sure I can find any fault with what the PDM7 does. The PDM7 is built well, looks the part, comes with a great cable and most of all speaks my audio language. It is the very definition of crisp with-out the heat. No stridence or sibilance was experienced, even with the more forward 849 cables, or even the Penon Mix? And see that is how we test IEMs, trying them with cables we may not necessarily ever use, except trying them in action shows the extent of possibilities.

The possibilities here mean you can join the PDM7 to any source, or any cable I feel in my limited testing. The PDM7 also goes to make any music you throw at it become a thing of fascination and rewards. I did this review fast so that many more will learn of the news, the news is that Paiaudio knocked the ball straight out of the park with this one. Of course this is only the second Paiaudio I have heard, still if any other examples of their handiwork were this good already, I would know about it. When I found out about the PDM7 I did notice it was released as a Japan only IEM with a different cable and a different solid blond wood faceplate. Still even if it was a prior release in Japan, there are no graphs of it floating around. I just know in my heart that this is one special IEM, that it does everything correctly, ending with a complete and even sonic response. With the added benefit of incredible technicalities which moves the sound response even one step further into what sounds like a flagship to me? This takes place because the response is both big and separated, with amazing bass that holds pace and rhythm. I can promise you the PDM7 holds a special place in my heart that no other IEM has ever laid hands on, and for that I’m amazed and bewildered. I see it as one if not the very best IEM release this year.

$269.00

Disclaimer:

I want to thank Penon Audio for the love and for the Paiaudio PDM7 review sample.

Disclaimer:
These are one person's ideas and concepts, your results may vary.

Equipment Used:
Sony Walkman Cradle BCR-NWH10
AudioQuest Carbon USB
HiBy R3 II DAP 4.4mm balanced

DSC_0379.jpegd c.jpeg peg.jpeg

Update:
5BFD9580-4942-48D9-9372-E46D15F29D6F.jpeg
Last edited:
R
Robsen
Your review is very interestingly written. You are a very good salesman. Selling has a lot to do with emotions and the way you describe the product and the sound, you evoke a lot of emotions and the desire to buy the product immediately. Thanks to German taxes and fees, it costs over 300€ and I am currently afraid to spend that much money. Despite your great explanation, due to my lack of knowledge I can't yet assess whether it sounds the way I like it. I'm just looking for 1 or 2 good sounding IEM's for the next 3-5 years. I am not a collector. Thank you for your review!
@Robsen,
Thank-you.
Just wait and read the next reviews by other members as such there are many ways to swim, and there are many ways to listen to music through IEMs. Cheers!
Reactions: Robsen
R
Robsen
That's always my plan in life, but the way you describe it can tempt you to press the button. But in the end, common sense always wins out for me. This IEM is at the top of my list and I will be watching it very closely. Thank you for your devotion!

Comments

There are no comments to display.
Back