Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org
audionewbi
audionewbi
time to brew some tea, BRB
PS:Thanks
DrSeven
DrSeven
very nice review!
RochRx7
RochRx7
Excellent review! Good way to burn time while drinking coffee to start the day :)
Bostonears
Bostonears
Can you describe the headphone amp background noise? Is it a hum, a buzz, random crackling, etc.?
Krutsch
Bump +1 ... please do add some commentary on the background noise issues. Great review!
jackskelly
jackskelly
Owning both a DAC-100 and HD800, I think this review is pretty spot on. As far as the HD800 goes, it's an excellent match. The only amp/headphone pairing I've heard better to date is a STAX SR-009 with a Cavalli Liquid Lightning.
Mshenay
Mshenay
nice read, I've always wondered if you could use Dac/Amp combos as purely dacs only... obvously you can xD
project86
Thanks everyone! To clarify the noise - it's kind of a hiss, but not completely. There's some random almost static elements to it. When I hear the word "hiss", I think of a more high pitched noise. This is more like tuning the radio to a frequency where there is no station. It's lower pitched. If that makes sense. But again, I'm really focusing on it in order to describe it. Plug in an LCD-2 or HD800 and you won't know what the heck I'm talking about.
marcus49371
marcus49371
Great review! Always interested in DAC+AMP.
mrinspire
mrinspire
Project 86, regarding the static noise that appeared, have you tried it with other input (Such as different USB port ).
I have some issue with iUSB,iDAC and MF Vcan II when I use usb 3.0. But with 2.0, there is no problem however.
between, excellent review like always.
project86
Yes, it appears on all inputs. It's weird because if you power on the device with no incoming signal, it's dead quiet. But once you send a signal (and the sample rate indicator lights up) the noise starts - before the music actually kicks in. So if I start the track but immediately stop it before any actual music plays, I can still get the noise to kick in. Possibly related to their FPGA engine and whatever it's doing to the signal? Who knows. Also, it's present on USB 2.0 for me.
Krutsch
Shoot. I was really looking at this DAC/amp, and I am something of a NuForce fanboy, but the noise issue is a deal-breaker for me (especially given its prominence with low impedance phones).