Monolith M565C Closed Back Planar Headphones

• Transducer Type: Planar magnetic
  • Magnetic Structure Asymmetry: Asymmetry push-pull neodymium
  • Magnet Type: High grade N50 neodymium
  • Driver Size: 66 mm
  • Maximum Power Handling: 2 Watts (for 200 ms)
  • Maximum SPL: >120 dB
  • Frequency Response: 10 Hz ~ 50 kHz
  • Total Harmonic Distortion: Less than 1% at 1 mW; 1 kHz
  • Impedance: 18 Ohms
  • Efficiency: 96 dB / 1 mW
  • Optimal Power Requirement: 1 Watt
  • Weight: 13.7 oz. (389 g)

295142.jpg
295143.jpg
295144.jpg
295145.jpg

Latest reviews

Pros: Sound, isolation, build quality, relatively easy to power.
Cons: Smallish earholes, boosted upper mids sound good to me but might not be to everyone's taste.
Finally caved and bought these under-the-radar closed planars. I'm impressed! Can be found for around $200.

Good isolation, perfect for in my office cube. They blow away my other closed cans (ATH-M50X, Senn Momentum). Pretty similar to my Mayflower modded T20RP, but a high-mid boost reveals more detail. The planar sound is like a closed HE-400i, which I love. Better subbass, maybe less delicate and airy than the HE-400i, but very good overall.

Solidly built. The earholes are small - - think first gen Momentum over-ears. Fit me fine (big head, little ears), but ymmv. The headband hits right at the top of my head, which I don't like, but at least it's softer than the padded-on-wrong-side ATH-M50X. The pleather earpads get hot, but they are replaceable with that short velcro/command strip type stuff holding them on. The overall fit and finish is very nice with nice looking wood and a strong metal frame.

The cable is soft cloth, which I prefer to the hard plastic HE-400i cable. Zero microphonics. Each cup has a tight jack, no problem there and easy to go balanced if needed.

Powers almost loud from iPhone X, making these more efficient than HE-400i. JDS Atom makes them sing and seems to bring the bass out a bit, which tames the 1K boost.

These Monoprice m565c cans got "best everyday audiophile headphones" on Wirecutter, by the way! They also recommend Campfire, Final Audio, and Hifiman, to give you an idea of their tastes.
Reactions: Tano and trellus

Comments

I have to ask. With most of us buying the M1060C myself included has anyone gave these a try? Did Monoprice make a mistake by releasing these at the same time as their big brother? It would be a shame if these turn out to be the hidden gem that no one buys.

Lasher

Lasher
I’ve searched everywhere and can’t find any reviews.

A review would indeed be very welcome! I'm thinking about buying these for work, afraid of looking like a moron with the m1060c