Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org
superuser1
Great review George!! very extensive and thorough .. i agree about the largest pads and people with big ears like me. However the 99c is a beautiful piece of engineering, aesthetically and aurally.
Thank you!

It truly is a marvelous pice of engineering! There are very few headphones in this price or any other price that achieve the same performance when it comes to the technical abilities. 99c has one of the best ratios when it comes to the amount of distortion-free EQ that can or applied.
adeypoos
adeypoos
What a marvellous review George.  I am enjoying the 99C's more and more as they burn in optimally and you have summed up my thoughts beautifully.  I thought my Focal Spirit Pros were great, but these are a much sweeter and euphonic option, plus the headband won't crack like the plastic ones they had.  I wouldn't normally be happy about a faulty product but I wouldn't have been in the market for headphones otherwise.  Every cloud . . . .
Thank you, @adeypoos !

People do need to check them out more! In the 300$ range, 99C + EQ are my favorite at this moment!
antz123
antz123
Georgeous Review :D

love the part of detailng on individual songs. I got them with larger pads they seem to fit very well, someone had mentioned another set of pads i think for AT series that sit perfectly on Meze.

Is there a burn factor applicable to them ?
Thanks again.
Hi, @antz123

I received them burned - in, so I cannot say for sure how they sounded before. The pair I have is with the bigger ear pads and I have not tried other pads yet. Looking to buy HM5 in the closest future!

Also glad you like the review! Thank you!
MattRG
MattRG
The 99 Classics are very good for the price.  Just look at my profile picture!  That being said, if you don't have the $300 for the 99 Classics for just $159 you can have the Russian made Fischer Audio fa-011 which is also a very good sounding wooden headphone.  Great review, George.
Great review.  A quick question:
I got relatively big ears, too, and am worried about comfort.  Do you have the measurements of the earpad's opening size?
Dobrescu George
Thank you, @MattRG and @Zachik  !

I have never heard Fa-011 so cannot say how they work, but thanks for the tip!

As for the size, about 5cm by 8 cm, but they stretch well and fit wars well after being adjusted for 10 seconds.
Zachik
Pretty sure 8cm should be big enough.  Going to audition them at CanJam SoCal in 3 weeks (cannot wait!!!).  Anyone knows whether Meze provide discounts if purchased at CanJam (did they do it before?)
Dobrescu George
@Zachik  No idea about the discounts at Can Jam, but there is a Meze 99 Neo coming soon that is cheaper than 99C but boasts a very good sound as well!
Melanie Litton
Melanie Litton
For the price (or several hundred more) these are the best sounding and most comfortable headphones out there! Also they look super stylish. I have kinda big ears and they fit me well. Awesome review!
superuser1
I think i need bigger pads than the larger ones available from Meze. Extra large ears, however its still comfortable.