LETSHUOER S12 Planar IEM

senfi

New Head-Fier
LETSHOUER S12 : WARM PLANAR PAIRS!
Pros: Decent U-shaped sound
Easy to drive
Looks robust, especially with the included cable
Comfortable to wear
Generous amount of inclusions in the package
Cons: Average technicalities
Not the most detailed IEM in the market
LETSHOUER has been around for years, and this is the first time I will be reviewing a product from them. I had heard of the Tape and the Tape Pro before when I was still new to the audiophile scene and LETSHOUER is still SHOUER. Unfortunately, both of them never received any positive reviews due to their audacious and unusual tuning that turned off most audio-enthusiasts. How will the S12 fare this time? We shall see.

Check out my blog: https://senfireviews.blogspot.com/2022/10/letshouer-s12-warm-planar-pairs.html

DISCLAIMER : This is a review unit on tour, and I would like to thank Mr. Edz Cuizon, my fellow reviewer, for lending me this pair. I am not affiliated with LETSHOUER and received no monetary compensation during or after this review. As usual, this will be an honest and unbiased review.

The LETSHOUER S12 is a $150, 14.8mm planar IEM housed in an aluminum alloy shell. It's very light, sleek, and simple. I personally like the minimal design and its comfortability.

PACKAGING​

The packaging looks awesome, it is simple and is included with good accessories.
  • S12 driver
  • 3 pairs of black foam tips
  • brand card
  • warranty card

SOUND​

The S12 leans on a U-shaped sound signature. The sound may not be the most detailed and resolving pair for critical listening, but it's got a place for those who want a fun pair of IEMs. The best genres for this pair are EDM, pop, and modern rock.

BASS : Bass is boosted and has an energetic, dynamic sound. It's got a punchy and satisfying mid-bass where most of the bass is focused on. Sub-bass is not the deepest out there, but it's sufficient enough to be balanced and does not bleed to other frequencies. It's got an overall good impact and energy, which I can assure you some bassheads may like the S12.

MIDS : Mids are not dramatically dipped; they're evidently warm, rich, and lush to the ears. I have a good overall experience with both male and female vocals. It doesn't have the most forward midrange for critical listening, and you may want to look for another pair if you want a midcentric experience.

TREBLE : I have no issues with the treble, but it does not have the most detailed treble. It doesn't have that much air and brilliance but it's still there, which makes this an enjoyable IEM rather than a detailed and critical pair. If you are treble-sensitive, I can recommend these pairs to you if you want an IEM that leans on a darker treble presence than a sparkly and shimmering treble. Again, if you are a critical listener, the treble will definitely lack in terms of sparkle and details.

SOUNDSTAGE AND IMAGING : Soundstage is somehow good; it's got decent width and is not two-dimensional, but it's not the widest I've ever heard. In this case, I can still manage to pin-point some of the instruments and details; it's not just the best and may be more resolving if it had more stage. Imaging is average, not the most resolving and precise separation, but it's not the worst.

COMPARISON​

Muse Hifi Power: Another new planar IEM on the market, as well as the first planar-IEM I reviewed. The Hi-Fi Power is more energetic and aggressive than the S12. The Power is a winner when it comes to soundstage and imaging, but the S12 is more resolving to audiences with warmer preferences. The form factor of the S12 is less bulkier than the Muse Hi-Fi Power. The S12 feels more "sophisticated", mimimalist, and generous with its packaging.

TangZu Wu Zetian : S12 has more bass quantity and impact than the Zetian Wu, the Zetian Wu is leaning on a neutral sound than S12. Mids are fuller and forward and has better resolution. Treble has more sparkle and air in the Zetian Wu. Basically, Zetian Wu is more versed on the side of technicalities, and tonality while the S12 is better for certain consumers.

FINAL RATING​

In conclusion, the LETSHOUER S12 is one of the most resolving planar IEM for those who can afford less than pricier IEMs. It still has its flaws when it comes to technicalities, and there may be other options to consider within the sub-$200 price range. The competition is very hot in this price range, but I can still recommend S12 and I bet it would still be appreciated, especially for those who want a balanced sound preference. However, I may not recommend this as the top option for those who want a more neutral and critical pair. The more I listen to planar IEMs within this price range, the more I realize that it's no different or unique compared to IEMs within the sub-$200 range that use BA, DD, and piezo drivers. It's all up to your preferences on which you want to buy for your next upgrade. If you are still using a budget IEM, then I suggest S12, which would definitely be an upgrade.

Reactions: EQbumb
EQbumb
Awesome review right there man. Which IEM do you consider the most detail IEM(s) so far?

RemedyMusic

A fine planar implementation
Pros: desirable organic and musical tuning
bass response
good balance of tonality and technicalities
reasonably priced for its performance
comfortable fit and wear
has that desirable roundness in its sound presentation
adequate inclusions both in quantity and quality
Cons: medium drivability. I notched up my level 15-20%
A mobile phone will not drive this properly
upper mids can get hot on some tracks. Jpop in my case (subjective)
vocals are sometimes pushed back on some tracks (nitpick)
INTRODUCTION:
EDZ00425.jpg

Letshouer S12 was released more than a half year ago. It was received warmly by many from the audio community for its tonality and technicalities. It is one of the early release of a planar implementation and I think it is still one of the good ones up to this date. It is not a perfect IEM but the pros outweigh the cons for me. It ticked to me and made a mark and suited my personal preference. Read on to know more…

DISCLAIMER:​

My opinions here are completely my own. I am NOT in any way influenced by any form of incentive. This is purely my honest, subjective impressions and experience with the gear on hand. I cannot stress more that you should take this as a grain of salt for we have different perceptions to sound and what we hear. I always try my best to stick with the stock accessories that come with the gear by default. You are free to try other methods such as tip rolling or cable rolling. Below are worth noting before concluding on what I say here:

1. DAP (digital audio player, be it phone, laptop, mobile, or stationary setup)
  2. DAC or dongle or any external amp
  3. Ear Tips
  4. Cables
  5. Source of audio file be it offline FLACS or streaming services like Deezer, Apple music, Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify and the likes..
  6. Your playlist. It matters and is worth to be considered when reading from a reviewer's perspective. It is apparent that you get to know your favorite reviewer and what they are listening to leisurely and critically.

My reviews are more on how music sounds in my ears. The technical stuff like frequency graphs and the physics behind the tech and drivers used, I leave to other reviewers.

The S12 was sent to me directly from Letshouer FOC in exchange for this honest and unbiased review. I have shown interest in the S12 way back in the month of February 2022, but unfortunately, Letshouer had a problem with their FB account and did not respond to me until recently. Letshouer is very responsive when it comes to their customer service and everything was handled smoothly by them from their end to mine. Thanks, Letshouer!

SPECIFICATIONS:​

EDZ00427.jpg

Configuration: 1 x Planar driver
Impedance: 16 ohms
Sensitivity: 102+/- 1db
Freq response: 20hz - 20khz

PACKAGING:​

EDZ00422.jpg

The packaging is simple and nothing out of the ordinary. I have nothing to complain about it. The inclusions are generous and the quality is above average. Inclusions are the following.

1. a pair of S12 IEMs
  2. a quick start guide documentation
  3. 3 pairs of foam tips
  4. a card of Letshouer’s social media accounts
  5. an after-sales registration card
  6. 3 pairs of light gray colored tips. I’m assuming these are balanced ear tips.
  7. 3 pairs of bass ear tips
  8. One stiff and sturdy cable.
  9. Leather material carrying pouch
EDZ00420.jpg

And that’s it! Pretty basic but all of good quality.

Sound Impressions:​

For the entirety of this review, all stock accessories are maintained with the exception of the ear tips. I used my personal JVC Spiral Dots. The stock tips were just too soft for me so I took the liberty of using my own.
EDZ00423.jpg

The S12 made a good impression on me and I’m definitely keeping this one. It will be included in my rotation of IEMs. What appealed to me most is its very musical and organic sound reproduction. Everything sounded natural to my ears and the way it should in real life.

The lows are the main show here. It is what you will notice right off the bat. I personally prefer my lows to be on the neutral side of things and S12’s lows are not at all neutral. And for the first time, this is the elevated lows presentation that has my approval. Given that S12 has prominent lows, it is presented as very clean, punchy, and with roundness and smoothness at the same time. Extension to the sub-level is existent with the right amount of decay of rumble. It stays a little longer there but not long enough to make your listening experience muddy or bloated. Synth sweeps in the lows department are very satisfying making modern tracks very enjoyable. Classic tracks, on the other hand, were executed faithfully. Drum kicks and bass guitars from Queen remained almost accurate and did not have that unnecessary elevation. Hence, I can claim that the lows are well controlled here.

Mids are produced with thick and lush characters with nice transient speeds. I would have preferred the mids to be just a tad shy forward, but all is good here. Instruments in contrast with the vocals have good balance even though both are placed rightly in the middle. Instruments have good texture and details to be desired and appreciated. S12 maintained to be naturally correct across almost all instruments, be it digital, electric or acoustic. I have no encounter with the “sheen” that plagues most planar drivers. Almost to none to be purely honest. On some Japanese tracks though, I’ve encountered some hotness in the upper mids from time to time but still tolerable. This all depends if you are sensitive to the 5k up to 8k frequencies. Vocals from both genders are well executed and as natural as it gets. Vocals are not highlighted in some special way but rather with just the right amount of fullness and weight. Every element is engaging while not being pushed forward.

Trebles have that smoothness and polished edges to their sound while maintaining sparkle and shimmer. Cymbals are with grit and bite still. Sibilance is nowhere to be found. S12 is not void of energy here at the top and is very open and transparent. Macro and micro details are intact and existent and just waiting to be heard.
EDZ00424.jpg

Conclusively, the whole presentation of the spectrum is very well done here and I have no caveat whatsoever except for the occasional hotness in the upper mids. The whole presentation leans to be on the analog side of things. Organic and natural.

On balanced output 2.5mm/4.4mm:
S12 scales well with more juice given that it is a planar driver implementation. If you have a balanced termination, do yourself a favor and use it. Dynamics, details, and resolution are all leveled up on balanced output with S12 for a more immersive listening experience.

Fit & Isolation:​

Comfortability of wear is fatigue-free and long listening sessions would be a breeze. A nitpick on the cable ear hooks is they are very stiff and don’t follow the curve of my ear. Giving my wear with the S12 offset and gives me somewhat a sort of uneasiness. But this is just a minor issue for me. You might want to explore some comfy cables if you have some at your disposal.
EDZ00426.jpg

Isolation is effective and shuts off outside noise at 60% at least. As always, learn to find the right tip sizes and pursue that optimum seal.

Technicalities:​

The S12 with its brilliant and engaging sound reproduction would be a waste if not paired with good technicalities. And I bear good news that S12 is not void in terms of technicalities.

Sound stage. Ok here we go again. We are talking about IEMs. There is no natural sound stage here. But it can’t be helped to still have that perceived sound stage in our minds. The S12 exhibits good width and some adequate height. Again, this is perceived more in the mind than being really there.

Imaging is very brilliant here and quite amusing. I can hear elements in a track thrown in different places and accurately. Instruments and little details are very easy to follow and pinpoint making this trait one of the S12’s strength.

Speed is one thing that a planar boasts just like a BA. The S12 delivers complex and busy tracks with ease and effortlessly.
EDZ00428.jpg

Resolution of the S12 is not bad at all and I say this because I have heard better. But S12 did not disappoint still. Details and textures of elements are existent and very well noticeable. If I have to compare, the Zetian Wu from Tangzu has an edge over the S12 on this. It's just the S12 is not overly clean to exhibit absolute resolution thus I say that it is not bad at all.

COMPARISONS:​

The S12 is the second IEM that I’ve tested with a planar implementation. Being the first one, Zetian Wu from Tangzu which is now at its hype. Then it is only natural to compare the two. Below are some quick key points on how they differ.

• Zetian Wu is more on the Hifi sound, and the S12 is more on being analog sounding.
  • Zetian Wu has an edge on technicalities.
  • The S12 has a more natural tone and timbre.
  • Both possess almost the same sound character or signature. A very close call in tuning, to be honest.
  • The S12 has more prominent bass reproduction.
  • The Zetian Wu performs well in control over the whole spectrum of frequencies by a hairline compared to the S12.

And basically this is all I can say to compare the two. Both are very close in terms of sound, and it all comes down to personal preference if you have to choose which one is for you. Auditioning first is strongly suggested.

SOURCES AND GEARS:​

• Questyle M15 portable DAC/AMP
  • LG V30 hifi dac (high impedance mode)
  • Hiby Music player
  • UAPP app (USB Audio Player Pro)
  • Tidal Masters subscription
  • offline FLACS
  • Hidizs AP80 pro
  • Deezer Hifi subscription

Here are some tracks I usually listen to when reviewing:

That’s the way of the World by EWF
Every Summertime by NIKI
SADE tracks
AC/DC tracks
Queen tracks

And many more… I always listen to High resolution format, being the least quality 16bit/44khz FLACS be it offline or online.
EDZ00430.jpg

VERDICT:​

The S12 managed to get really into me. I did not just like it but loved it. There are times that a gear, no matter how good, did not connect with me in a euphoric way. This is not the case with the S12. It is not perfect and still has polishing to be astounding, but for me, it is a great piece of gear. Mainly for music enjoyment, the S12 still won’t disappoint in terms of technicalities. A lot of my jazz tracks revealed how capable it is especially in the way it is tuned. The S12 is one of the few that I approve of substantial elevation in the lows because of how clean and impactful it is, giving a good body and foundation to the overall sound.

I would recommend the S12 to:

• those who love a well-tuned, enjoyable sound
  • a good balance of tone, timbre, and technicalities
  • those who love speed performance of drivers with good tonality
  • those who are leaning toward analog sound presentation
  • those who want a good start with planar implementation on IEMs

Special Note: To drive this IEM to its full potential, I strongly suggest something with extra juice when it comes to driving power. A DAP perhaps or a portable DAC AMP or a full pledge amp for a desktop setup. Or the least a mobile phone with a quad dac like the LG V series.

And that wraps my impressions on the Letshouer S12! I did enjoy this set and stay tuned for more reviews from our circle. A video review will be coming up soon!

And remember to love the music more than the gears! Catch you on the next one!

NymPHONOmaniac

Headphoneus Supremus
Pros: -Well balanced full sounding V shape signature
-impactfull, fun and chunky bass
-pleasant timbre without wonky spike
-good male and female vocal presence and body
-easy to drive for a planar
-snappy, dense and crunchy treble
-versatile tuning even if bassy
-big soundstage
-good sound layering extraction-projection
-great quality 4.4mm bal cable
-among best planar right now tonaly and dynamic wise
Cons: -not the cleanest resolution
-treble extension lack sparkle and air
-bass is a hint boomy, lacking definition edge and linear rumble
-soundstage lack deepness
-average imaging
-not a technical king
-bulbous housing shape tend to pop up my ears (subjective)
305793805_1747779118911581_1076415788644392540_n.jpg

TONALITY: 8.5/10
TECHNICALITIES: 8.2/10
CONSTRUCTION: 8.5/10
SOUND VALUE: 8.2/10

INTRO​

LETSHUOER have been around for about 4 years now, but seem to have never really nail a mass appealing tuning balance until now with their S12 planar IEM that I will review today.
They are know to make audacious IEM, especially hybrid at the time, like the Tape and Tape Pro dual DD-EST (magnetostat) IEM that receive mitiged reviews.
Priced 150$, the S12 use a 14.8mm planar dynamic driver. I’m a bit late in the hype train, but think this review will underline if the S12 are good enough to pass test of time.
Let’s dig in!

CONSTRUCTION​

305774254_1587645804985827_9031102136223866297_n.jpg
305630604_1233801614137766_7589042432455916759_n.jpg

The S12 construction is all metal and feel very sturdy, this is the type of IEM i’m not afraid to drop on the floor. 2pin connectors feel solid enough, but i prefer recessed 2pin to avoid cable damage. Nozzle is a bit short and big and housing a bit bulbous, which to me is a design flaw in term of secure fit since these tend to pop up my ears time to time, yet its not that disastrous, especially if you use ear tips that arent slippy. Due to lot of venting port, their sound leakage and isolation is OK, not extreme.

305695009_7989728444402892_1527330953856270666_n.jpg

Letshuoer permit you to choose between single ended or 4.4mm balanced cable, which is very appreciate! The high purity silver plated cable is of very good quality, thick and sturdy with solid plug and not too tight ear hook. While I like it, it tend to brighten timbre a bit, so depending of your tone preference, using a pure copper or smoother sounding cable can be a good idea. Let say that when I pair these with Kinera URD gold plated copper and silver cable, i found the timbre lusher and more appealing.

305592970_722372649314750_1701142915550650338_n.jpg
299616447_612040270520817_2170416592424069100_n.jpg

The packaging is minimalist in presentation yet very generous in ear tips number. It include a basic carrying case and great quality balanced cable.

SOUND IMPRESSIONS​

305679587_642969413847315_3595037817403175935_n.jpg
(gear used: Tempotec V6, Tri Tk2, Moondrop Dawn, Questyle M15 and Xduoo Link2 Bal)

TONALITY ETC

The S12 offer a brightish balanced V to smoothed W shape signature with energic dynamic and chunky thumpy bass. While not basshead level, the bass is boosted and hit hard, with warmed definition. S12 offer a muscular musicality, favorizing physical impact over crisp analytical presence. It’s not a sharp V shape that is just about bass and treble, so i can see some people finding it W shape, yet for me a W shape need extra spike in upper treble to add air which the S12 doesn’t have.

I will not write a thesis about the bass part since the presentation is pretty simple. It’s boosted in mid bass, have more quantity than quality, yet offer a very addictive and well implemented slam to music, adding fun and dynamic weight. It’s not a flexible low end, yet, not very boomy or too resonant. It hit in a weighty ”oomph”, you know, this sound, well, it’s there and you like it when it’s there even if it’s all but a well resolve and define bass response. The boost isn’t too much, and can please bass slam induced people more than rumble seeking basshead. Even acoustic bass doesn’t sound bad, while it lack lean deep clean extension for lowest bass line to extend, it have a vibrant resonance with tight rumble that add physical slam to energic bassist. This is fun well balanced low end. Energic V, not U, not clean, not well rounded, yet striking in loud impact when needed, headbanging the reality of your music. Versatile enough at they end, both for rock, soul, r&b and other beat driven music style that doesn’t need high fidelity resolution and precise separation.

The MIDS aren’t recessed, and due to vivid dynamic are betwenn lush and bright to my ears, with an euphonic timbre that is dense yet a bit fuzzy when it come to micro details or nuance. Sens of presence is full bodied yet smoothed in definition edge. Tone and timbre of instrument sound natural, but in an analogish dark way, hum, it’s not very clean nor high in resolution and we will struggle to precisely position instrument within mid range….yet, cohesion of music isn’t affected in macro resolution. While understated, the mids are quite appealing. Both male and female vocal have good sens of openess and dense presence, full bodied and free of sibilance or timbral imbalance-thanks to damped grain of planar drivers?
Yep, a hint dark, yet not lean, the mid range offer full bodied presentation that is easy to love but will not be particularly rewarding for critical listening session. It favorise body and timbre density, so for those afraid of thin mids, S12 offer natural full bodied tone enough that permit to deliver musical male and female vocal, tough the female vocal are more upfrond and well rounded in presence as Arooj Aftab voice tell me right now, with a wide lush and breathy vocal presentation.

And there come the treble, where immediacy meet crunchyness meet snap meet unique planar texture in a suprisingly cohesive organic way. Right now, the treble is both adding crunch to electric guitar and snap to percussion of rock trio Autoryno, but the percussions snap seem all about short brilliance, so their some spice to an overall dark treble presentation. S12 will extract snappiest part of percussions, tend to enlight those with metalic vividness which will add sens of excitment as well as extra dimension to the sound. Rest of treble feel full and dense, yet tamed in micro details and will struggle to restitue full percussions section if too complex. It’s a rather safe treble wich begin to roll off around 10khz, but it’s energic too so not too safe. Attack speed is very fast and well control, yet as noted it’s short on decay and sparkle, so not an airy but not a muddy treble presentation too. This is the kind of highs that have extra body from low harmonic yet softed high pitch loudness, so resonance doesn’t open up making clavichord a bit dry but acoustic guitar sound full and have enough hint of brilliance and snap, violin too sound lively and have good attack bite this time, electric guitar is agressive enough as well perhaps underlining S12 as good for not too complex rock.

TECHNICALITIES ETC

This is the interesting part. Planar IEM technical performance is very unique and S12 seem to have favorize tonal balance and dynamic feeling over pushing technical perfection higher like the P1plus do for ex.
It result in fast attack with blurried edge but snappy fuzzy sustain (we talk about micro seconds here). I repeat the sound isn’t crystal clean, and this is surely due to subtle harmonic distortion inherent to planar driver. To some extend, in critical listening session, we can find the attack a bit shouty from low to high, due perhaps to concentrated resonance and in my case change the cable to a litz copper or gold-copper-spc did warm the dry edge of attack.

Resolution is effortless, yet not exactly what i would call crisp since instrument presentation is holographic, well shaped in body yet not sharp in presence definition. We have an euphonic analog feeling with the S12, and this is to the cost of reference grade performance.

Spatiality is very immersive, very wide tall and open with minimal deepness, yet it’s not a brick wall of sound. Again, it’s 3D like and holographic, with dynamic sounds layering. Soundstage being very dependant of ear tips choice, Kbear KB07 was the one that offer biggest and more coherent presentation.

Imaging is where i find the S12 underwhelming due to lack of precision in instrument separation, especially the static one that will benefit extra clarity and cleanliness. Yet, the layering do add a sens of separation and it’s impressive in that regard even if it would have benefit from higher transparency in timbre.

All in all, technicaly speaking, these are on par with near all other Planar apart the Tinhifi P1plus, which use a faster 10mm planar driver with less bass interference and better resolution and imaging.

COMPARISONS​

306216677_5360732617356299_4086846863237684518_n.jpg

VS TANGZU ZE TIAN WU:

The WU are more neutral balanced and warmer. Bass is less boosted and less impactfull, yet it seem faster in attack, better rounded and separated. It’s less prompt to slight bleed too and feel more textured and well define. Bass line and kick drum are better separated too.
Mids are leaner and fuller, timbre is smoother and even more natural than S12, it’s more transparent and higher in resolution even if less edgy in attack. Male vocal seem more recessed than the S12 tough and female vocal too even if presentation is richer, wider and less compressed.
Treble is very different here, the WU extract more details yet doesn’t put it in your face, micro definition is cleaner and highs have a bit more sparkle and air making the S12 feel a bit half cook in this area.
Spatiality is even more open with the WU, hint wider and taller but notably deeper.
This inflict positively to imaging, which is more accurate and precise due to more transparent timbre.
All in all, while i think people will perhaps find the WU more boring, it’s more refined in balance, more neutral and smooth with slightly superior technical performance especially in imaging department.

VS TINHIFI P1plus:

I don’t know if i’m crazy to love those P1plus that much since they are not praise anywhere, but i’m confident to say its the planar with best technical performance on the market right now and S12 don’t dethrone them in that regard. In fact, p1plus are the only planar i consider clean sounding, but first thing that hit me is how harder they are to drive since i need to put the volume 2 times higher than S12 using Moondrop Dawn dongle.
So, the P1plus is more vivid neutral and analytical, with lighter but more textured and well separated bass. Mids are more transparent and detailed, they open up in wideness more but have thinner timbre. Overall tonality is a bit colder too, notably higher in resolution and treble is way faster and more snappy, cleaner in definition and more sparkly and brilliant. It extract way more micro details too and add sens of air on top even more than both WU and S12. Note weight is a bit lighter yet attack have more edge to it. Instrument presence is better resolve with richer texture.
Spatiality is a bit more intimate, especially in term of wideness and tallness which is more closed, while deepness is infinitely deeper.
Imaging is where the P1plus destroy the S12, crisper, more accurate and precise in positioning, separation is clean and well define, making the S12 feel foggy.
All in all, the tonality of P1plus is leaner, colder and less full bodied and will please more the neutral head or mature audiophile but technical performance are notably superior. Yet, the S12 is more fun, full bodied and it’s euphonic timbre might feel more natural than slightly dryer timbre of P1plus.

Bonus! VS HZSOUND HEART MIRROR

HZ have a sharper, crisper as well as more neutralish W shape tonality, with greater sens of transparency and higher amount of micro details, so it feel more analytical-cold-neutral than bassier hint warmer in definition S12.
Cleaner is first thing that come to mind when going from S12 to HZM, since the S12 micro definition seem a bit blurred, softed, this permit to avoid harsh spike of HZM, which is more prompt to slight sibilance for ex.
And polemic will begin here, with my perception of bass quality. Here HZM sure have a more linear bass response with higher sens of flexibility, yet it’s less bodied and have lower mid bass slam, in the other hand, sub bass extend deeper and sub and kick bass are better layered and separated with the HZM, S12 offer warmer bass that tend to get mixed togheter. Let say S12 is more about physical impact that definition and presence, whih is clearer with HZM.

Mids are crisper and sharper as well as thinner and more transparent. Resolution of mid range is higher too, but note weight is lighter with HZM. Overall mid range is more euphonic-analogish-warmish with the S12.

Treble is very different, notably more crisp and sparkly with the HZM, bit thinner yet with more snap and air on top too. Acoustic guitar will be all about extra low harmonic and have less bit and brilliance, yet fuller body with S12. Resonance feel more damped too. We have less loudness spike than HZM so its smoother.

Spatiality is very different with these, the S12 is notably more open and holographic, yet not as deep and clean as HZM.

This translate in more precise accuracy for both layering and instrument separation for the HZM even if it feel strangely a bit more compressed.

Tonaly wise, musicality is easier to enjoy with the S12, while I would say technical performance are superior with HZM, since imaging and resolution is better as well as attack control and definition accuracy.

CONCLUSION​

307043103_402952255335675_8194641272074277001_n.jpg

The Letshuoer S12 hype is legit since these planar IEM hit sweet spot between a fun lively tonal balance and decent technicalities only planar driver can deliver with such layered dynamic.
It’s this type of energic V shape tuning that isn’t overly warm or bright, and don’t offer recessed vocal or mid range.
The presentation is full bodied and impactfull, with fast attack that have a smooted edge to it to avoid agressive spike.
It’s this type of IEM that add weighty dynamic to your music and offer a versatile tonality that can deal with everything but extremely demanding busy music that will need sharper crispness and better sens of imaging.
Simply put, its a fun ride yet not a guilty pleasure because of great macro resolution, good timbre for a planar and full dynamic range that doesn’t omit presence of mid range.
I think S12 represent the revival of Letshuoer company, and sure still worth a buy even if the S12 Pro is coming, since it’s very same IEM but with a modular cable upgrade.
For a more laid back musicality, i would choose Tangzu Ze Tian Wu, for a crisper cleaner mroe analytical one i will go Tinhifi P1plus and for a fun versatil musicality with muscular bass, their no doubt the S12 have it’s special place!
Highly recommended!

———

PS: I wanna thanks Letshuoer for finaly letting me test one of their product as well as offering a S12 Pro for Chifi Love giveaway. I’m not affiliated to this company and keep my 100% freedom of judgment as always.

You can buy the S12 on sale for 134.10$ from Official Store here:https://letshuoer.net/products/s12-...ZgAeIQrWGexPSOmHt5B_n-sWXnKEPFiLM0S9A7JmdhC38

For more diversify and honest audio reviews, give a read to my NO BORDERS AUDIOPHILE blog HERE.

Sahem

New Head-Fier
Probably the best start for audiophile... probably
Pros: Nice package
Amazing cable
Fit
MARVELLOUS SOUND
Cons: Basically none
I got these iems about a week ago and all this time I just couldn't tear myself away from listening. So if you want to get a quick answer, buy them or not- 100% yes. And now to the details.
And I apologize, my camera is not the best, I hope in the future I will have a phone with a better camera.
photo_2022-09-14_16-44-40.jpg

What's in the box?
There is nothing unusual in the box for modern earphones:
S12 themselves;
1 3,5 or 4,4 cable;
2 package of tips. Strangely, black tips didn't fit on the IEM, so I couldn't even try them;
1 package of foam tips;
Some papers.
The kit is basically the most ordinary, I would like something more. For example, in my previous spring 1 main headphones from BQEYZ, the ear pads were on metal plates. But this is just a quibble, because there is enough in the kit, and in the new s12 pro there will also be a cable with replaceable plugs, which is very respected.
The fit and the cable
photo_2022-09-14_16-45-44.jpg

Cable and fit are extremely important and interrelated factors.
The s12's cable is simply excellent. It is flexible, pleasantly soft, does not get confused, is equipped with 2 pin connectors and looks stylish. I have no desire to change it, only if it is something like graphene + copper cable to improve the sound.

Now about the fit. These planars, despite their large driver, they are very small, especially in thickness. They fit very comfortably in the ear and do not press at all. The earplugs on the cable are not rubbed, as they themselves are very soft. But because of the different size of my ears, I have to use a divider on the cable. And the separator could be better. He's holding up, but very uncertain. The cable from TRN, for example, has a bead that copes with the same task much better.

THE SOUND ITSELF
Sooo to the main part.
I paired these guys with Ibasso dc04, Xduoo xp-2 pro and topping dx3 pro+ and used BQEYZ foams, because they fit my ears the best. All tracks were flac, very rarely MP3.
photo_2022-09-14_16-45-49.jpg
photo_2022-09-14_16-45-53.jpg
unknown.png

I'll start with the least pleasant bunch. DC04 proved to be absolutely helpless for these headphones. Despite its 200 milliwatts, it failed to unlock their potential. On all tracks, they sounded clamped and dim, despite the brightness of both the headphones and the Dac. In general, I was disappointed with this particular bundle.Therefore, for example, we can say that s12 require a high-quality source that will give them enough power and will be able to unlock the full potential of the planar driver.

But with the other two sources, I was amazed at the sound quality. It was a whole new level for me .Since to my ear these two Dacs are the same, a further description of the sound will be for both.

The first track I listened to was 2pack - Violent. The trembling bass at the very beginning became really trembling and enveloping, which gave a new level of immersion in music. And in other tracks with bass parts, everything began to sound fatter and warmer. The bass began to penetrate the ears, it became tactile.
Another good example would be DustTrust - Divine Terror. In this track, details appeared in the background, such as howls flowing from ear to ear or short drum inserts that I had not heard before.
But the main revelation was metal. For example, Marilyn Manson - Beautiful people began to sound more voluminous at the beginning (the drums became clearer in each ear), and when the main part begins, everything sounds much angrier, whole, but at the same time distinct for each instrument .Metallica - All Nightmare Long also began to sound angrier. At high speed, the headphones do not get lost. At 0:54, the stereo effect from the cymbals is well traced.
The general sound qualities that I will not give on the example of tracks are the warmth of the sound, its volume, excellent positioning and 3D effect. The stage has become more airy everywhere, especially where it is provided in the track itself.

Conclusion

Comparing these earphones with others in my collection is pointless. Spring 1, airpods pro, HD 560 s simply cannot compare with them for objective reasons. From memory, I compared them with P1 plus from tin hi-fi. P1 is not even close. They are thin, sandy on the tops and their bases are much poorer than in S12.
What advice can I give? Use foam tips and buy a copper or graphene cable to make the sound even warmer and more voluminous.
And to the name. Why "probably"? Because TANGZU ZE TIAN has now appeared on sale, which are recognized by many as much more successful. I can't say about this, but I can recommend the S12 as a win-win option for any of your sound requirements up to about $200.

Attachments

photo_2022-09-14_16-44-40.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: o0genesis0o

New Head-Fier
One of the better-tuned planar magnetics
Pros: Enjoyable tuning
Good planar timbre
Good technicalities
Build quality
Cons: Mild sibilance
It may sound metallic to some
Hazy imaging
S12a.jpg

Tonality: 6/9
Technicalities: 6.3/9
Preference: 6/9
Total: 5.9/9

(star rating is for the price to performance)

(total 5 mins read)

Intro
LETSHUOER (formerly known as SHUOER) was a Chinese OEM company that joined the community market with the (in)famous “low-voltage electrostatic” Tape/Pro and the tribrid EJ07 IEM. S12 is their attempt at planar magnetic driver after the release of rather hyped 7Hz Timeless. There are rumors regarding S12 being the same driver as the Timeless, though then countered by LETSHUOER, but, I honestly don’t mind especially if it’s tuned better (as reported) and cheaper. Priced at $120, where it’s about $70 less than Timeless, I think LETSHUOER is making planar magnetic more affordable for everyone unlike all earlier offers available in the market.

Signature
The sound signature of S12 can be described as V-shaped which emphasizes bass and treble region similar to the 7Hz Timeless. To be frank, I’m not a planar magnetic enjoyer regardless of how technical it can get, mostly because of the overall tonal quality or the general presentation of planar magnetic in music playback. Nevertheless, unconventionally, I think S12 is a pretty well-tuned planar magnetic IEM.

LETSHUOER S12.png

(LETSHUOER S12 measurement graph courtesy of IEF)

Tonality
Objectively and subjectively, the main difference between Timeless and S12 is in the treble response. While I don’t find Timeless to be harsh, it lacks a certain treble quality that I always look for in music reproduction regardless of driver type. S12 on the other hand offers more volume on the lower treble which gives good energy and bite yet it can cause mild sibilance at times. I won’t say it’s lacking air response but it definitely needs to be ironed out for a smoother listen. There’s also a hint of metallic sheen that’s very common with planar magnetic, though it’s treatable with ear tips rolling. I ended up with Acoustune AET07 which helps to give a smoother treble response and more authority to the bass.

While I enjoy the overall good balance of the frequency response, there’s nothing truly commendable to be pointed out about the midrange. I just find it's serviceable to the point that there’s nothing to be criticized about the tuning either. Anyhow, the bass is pretty good overall, perhaps naturally the best feature of S12. It exhibits good extension with an ample amount of focused-rumble and punchy mid-bass kick. I could say the bass is tight, crisp, or simply satisfactory.

In general, I think the tonality of S12 is legitimately good with a nice balance across the frequency response, however many times I find it prone to be shouty with heavy & busy music like I normally find in many other planar magnetic sets. My thought is: that the proportion of energy distribution in certain frequencies is not appropriate which I think is related to its own resonance or perhaps it’s just the nature of the planar magnetic driver.

S12d.jpg

Technicalities+
Resolution-wise, it’s up there in the line with the Moondrop Blessing 2 or perhaps just slightly behind with average detail retrieval. Don’t get me wrong, micro details are there, but they just don’t come as forward as opposed to highly resolving sets, but who am I kidding, it’s a $169 set.

The transient attack is fast and sharp that’s responsible for its great resolving ability, though the transient decay rolls off pretty quickly which is accountable for short-lived notes, especially on lower frequencies. This also directly affects the imaging density and note weight. Notes are relatively thin and, in my opinion, the sparsity might also influence the occasional “shoutiness” as said above.

While the resolution is great, imaging is rather light & hazy. The presentation sort of lacking weight and a sense of realism as it feels very unlike any other traditional driver configurations. Instrument localization is a little weird & perplexing. There’s a hint or shadow of separation & layering but it feels like it never happened. What I mean is, it feels like the image didn’t complete as a whole, at least to my mind’s eye.

The sound stage is rather tall than wide, and it feels near too, but I don’t think the earphone alone causes the staging effect and sense of space as the ear tip also plays a part in it. Generally, it’s safe for me to say that the sound staging is average. One thing I can easily commend is the dynamic scaling. S12 exhibits good macro & micro dynamics with timely control and polished nuances although unmistakably short on decay. Other than the resolving ability & dynamics, nothing really impress me in terms of intangibles.

Valuation
While demonstrating agreeable tuning and functional tonality unlike many other planar magnetic drivers, I still find the same issues in S12 in terms of the imaging department, or I’d say the overall presentation. I got to admit that I have a distaste for planar magnetic because of these attributes but I always keep an open mind. Based on my years of experience as a musician, engineer, and audiophile, there’s no planar magnetic that can give the same reproduction qualities as a pair of good old loudspeakers. I guess I’m so used to vintage & traditional stuff as archaic as the dynamic driver which I personally think are still the closest presentation & reproduction of the real thing. I also understand why people are crazy about planar. On the surface, they are simply resolving. Even though planar in general might not satisfy me in a long run, I think my time with S12 is filled with joy and good thoughts.

With that being said, I’m recommending LETSHUOER S12 to those who are relatively new to this hobby, those who want to step up within a lower budget range, and those who love electronic, dance music, or modern production at large. Otherwise, I’d recommend Moondrop KATO or Tanchjim Hana (2021) for a more natural presentation in the same price bracket.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*this unit is sent by LETSHUOER for the Malaysian demo tour and loaned by my buddy @ywheng89 for an honest review. all words are 100% mine and I'm not compensated or influenced by any party.

Purchase LETSHUOER S12 here

tools:
Tidal / Apple Music via LG G7 / Macbook Pro with/without Ovidius B1 / Hidizs S9 Pro
Tidal / Foobar2000 (FLAC) via Topping EX5 with/without Aune X7s or Aune S7 Pro

key songs+:
Será Una Noche – Taquito Militar (Tango)
Eddie Daniels – Baião Malandro (Jazz Fusion / Classical Crossover)
Patricia Petibon - Mozart: Der Zauberflöte – Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen (Classical [Aria])

Sinne Eeg – We've Just Begun (Jazz)
Cécile McLorin Salvant - Ghost Song (Vocal Jazz)
Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone - A Lovely Night (Jazz Pop / Film Score)

Muddy Waters – My Home Is in The Delta (Delta Blues)
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble – Tin Pan Alley (Blues Rock)
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Red Right Hand (Alternative Rock / Punk Blues)

Scott Walker – Corps De Blah (Experimental / Post-Industrial)
Swans – Lunacy (Experimental Rock / Post-Rock)
Zu - Carbon (Avant-Garde Metal / Avant-Garde Jazz)

My Disco – A Christ Pendant Comfort Her Neck (Noise Rock / Post-Hardcore)
Arab On Radar - God is Dad (No Wave / Noise Rock)
Shellac - Crow (Post-Hardcore / Noise Rock)

Mastodon – The Wolf Is Loose (Progressive Metal / Sludge Metal)
Fear Before the March of Flames – High as a Horse (Post-Hardcore / Metalcore)
Botch - Japam (Matchcore / Post-Hardcore)

ANOHNI - Drone Bomb Me (Art Pop / Elctropop)
Slowdive - Star Roving (Shoegaze / Dream Pop)
The Shins - Simple Song (Indie Pop / Psychedelic Pop)

Radiohead - Idioteque (Art Rock / Experimental Rock / Electronic)
TheFatRat - Warbringer feat. Lindsey Stirling (Electropop)
Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy (Trip Hop / UK Hip Hop)

Justin Bieber - Holy feat. Chance the Rapper (Contemporary R&B / Dance-Pop)
Lizzo - About Damn Time (Contemporary R&B / Dance-Pop)
Kylie Minogue - Real Groove (Dance-Pop / Nu-Disco)
MGee1
MGee1
Nice review...any recommendations on choosing a portable dac for use with these? Would they benefit from the r2r sound of the RU6?
hevelaoak
@MGee1 I think RU6 is a very good combination. other than that, I like CEntrance DACport HD, Lotoo PAW S2, xDuoo Link2 Bal, & Ovidius B1.

500+ Head-Fier
Showing What Planar IEMs Can Do
Pros: Good tuning, lightweight design, good technical performance, price.
Cons: Brighter treble, tuning can feel a little raw, fitment might be stangle for some.
DSC06877.jpg

I just reviewed the TIN P1 Max and I liked it for the most part. It was the first newer planar I’ve had a chance to check out since I last heard all the older gen 1 planars. My P1 Max review conclusion was a lack of detail retrieval and a somewhat boring neutral tuning. I knew people liked the other planar offerings from the likes of 7Hz, LETSHUOER, Muse and Raptgo but I only had a chance to check the P1 Max out at the time. Well! Now I have the LETSHUOER S12 in and oh my! What a difference it is vs the P1 Max.

Quick shoutout to LETSHUOER for sending the S12 to review. While I always appreciate the chance to test and review products sent in from manufacturers, it never affects the rating of my reviews.

The S12 can be picked up from LETSHUOER at their website below.

Onto the review of the LETSHUOER S12! My personal preference is a hybrid/tribrid IEM where I get good hitting bass and have a detailed treble with decent mids. When it comes to an over ear headphone I prefer a spacious sound with a deep low end, the mids to be more forward and the highs to be a little bright with some sparkle. I listen to a lot of genres but I hover in the classic rock, blues and edm music with some rap here and there.

Gear Used​

IPhone 12 pro with headphone adapter, Lotto PAW S1, Moondrop Moon River 2 and SMSL SU-9 feeding the SP400 amp.

Looks and fit​

The shell has a nice soft all metal finish that is simple but still looks good to my eyes. The shell is on the average size which is nice as it should fit most ears. I did find it strange there was no branding other than the S12 name followed by the serial number on the side. The TIN P1 Max also lacked branding too. I imagine this is a cost saving thing. Fitment was ok at first with the included tips and I’m sure the foams would have been fine but I opted to use some trusty Spinfit CP100 that made the fitment perfect for long term listening sessions. Since it’s a lightweight IEM, I like the comfort quite a bit.
DSC06881.jpgDSC06884.jpg

Isolation and sound leakage​

There is a vent in the shell on the nozzle side so it does let some sound in but I would rate the passive isolation about average. Not quite as bad as some hybrid IEMs but close. It doesn’t leak sound as much at normal listening volumes. I would be fine using these in quieter areas on a slightly lower volume.

Packaging and accessories​

The S12 comes in a nice standard sized box with nice quality graphics and info. Inside the box we get a foam insert holding the IEMs and a box of foam tips. Under that is a nice little branded leather like case with a zipper which holds the cable and extra tips. User guide and warranty cards included too.
IMG_7595.JPG

Sound(overall)​

These final impressions were done off a mix of the Lotoo Paw S1 and the SMSL SU-9 connected to the SMSL SP400. These impressions are what the S12 sounded like to my ears. This was also using the CP100 eartips from Spinfit. Things like ear tip selection and DAC/amp selection will produce different results and impressions vs what my ears hear on my specific gear.

The tuning that was done for the S12 is very good IMO. Sub bass impact is strong and rumbles just the right amount. While it's not as intense like some hybrids I’ve used, it has a very fast bass which I really like. Mid bass is full but it doesn’t sound boomy or overdone. The mids feel a little relaxed and neutral sounding to my ears. Where the bass hits hard, the mids take a step back and just go with the flow. At least with instruments. Most Instruments sound fine but they lack a little magic. Vocals however do come in very clear and crisp. There is a little more sibilance from vocals so it doesn’t quite strike a balance I would prefer but it will be fine for most people. The treble comes in very strong. There’s all the sparkle in the world going on here. It does get somewhat intense and tip rolling did make quite the difference in how strong the ending of tones sounded. The decay is super fast and the sharpness overall is really good. The S12 does resolution well enough and it pulled in details I wasn’t expecting to hear, especially at this price point. This isn’t destroying $500+ IEMs in terms of detail retrieval but it gets most of the way there. I do believe the little planar used is really showing what these newer generations of planars can do for IEMs. This felt mostly like a V shape tuning but it was done pretty well.

Soundstage/Imaging​

The soundstage was pretty average. It has a good balance of width and depth which was a small bummer since I was so impressed with how it handled detail retrieval. I would have liked a wider stage if possible. The imaging was spot on and I had no issues picking stuff out.

Sensitivity/Drivability​

The S12 isn’t super hard to drive but it does require just a little more juice than more sensitive IEMs. This will work off all dongles and amps just fine. I didn’t notice a huge jump in scaling from portable dongles to high end powerful desktop gear. I didn’t get any hissing or floor noise from running balanced either.

Stock cable​

I actually really like the stock cable. It has a nice silver and black color scheme going down the cable. It also has a flexible but harder feeling texture so it doesn’t catch easily on clothing but is flexible enough it won’t feel annoying nor stiff. The quality of the 4.4mm pentaconn plug looks good and I didn’t run into compatibility issues with my source gear when it was plugged in. I would leave the stock cable alone unless you wanted a different style or something with a QD plug system.
IMG_7594.JPG

IEM comparisons​

Ikko OH10​

The OH10 is still one of my all time favorite IEMs. Especially for under $200. It however can’t quite compete with the S12 when it comes to resolution or treble performance. The OH10 however does bass in a more enjoyable way. The DD is a little slower so there is some fun to be had in terms of slam/impact over the S12. The mids are also more smooth and warm sounding on the OH10 and I prefer the vocals ever so slightly on the OH10. The width from the soundstage is really wide on the OH10 as well. The detail retrieval from the S12 is way better than what the OH10 can provide though so this really becomes a choice of warm and fun(OH10) or fast and intense(S12).
DSC06898.jpg

TINHiFi P1 Max​

I like the P1 Max but it wasn’t anything really special other than having a different flavor of sound that I concluded was due to the planar inside. No beating around the bush, the S12 is better in bass quality, treble performance and detail retrieval. The P1 max makes for a more relaxed and calm listen(with a upper mid bump) but it lacks the detail retrieval that makes the S12 shine. This is interesting since both use a similar sized planar but it’s obvious the S12 was tuned to be raw and somewhat intense as a result. The P1 Max might be a better pick for those who don’t want to be slapped around by intense treble but the S12 just gives a better experience.
DSC06889.jpg

Amping Combinations​

Moondrop Moon River 2​

I personally didn’t like this pairing as the MR2 is a brighter source. The bass was still accurate with good control and speed but the mids started getting hotter a little earlier than other gear I used. The instruments started showing a splashy sound and vocals had a bit more sibilance. Treble was on the harsher side for my tastes. I think the accuracy that the S12 can provide stays the same. Just in an even more intense way. Staging stayed about average with this pairing. All in all, I prefer a warmer source for the S12.
IMG_7597.JPG

Lotoo PAW S1​

The S1 was right up my alley for sound signatures. It allows the bass to give nice rumbles and thumps but it stays fast and accurate. The mids have a smoother and softer sound but instruments didn’t suffer. Vocals sounded sweet and relaxed. Still fairly good but those who want an intense listen may not like the presentation here. Same thing with the treble. It was still an intense listen but I felt the upper mid sibilance was slightly more controlled and tolerable. Top end sparkle had a softer edge but the S12 still had no problems getting really intense at times. Staging was a bit wider with the S1 but depth seemed the same. This was my preferred mobile pairing.
DSC06910.jpg

SMSL SU-9/SP400​

The sound impressions are always based on this SMSL stack. I don’t think the S12 needs a full desktop amp to get the best sound. A full on desktop DAC will however make a bigger impact for the technicalities the S12 can produce IMO. I did notice a more refined sound off the desktop gear over the portable dongles but I was still highly impressed by the portable gear as long as I had something that vibed with my personal preferences.
DSC06916.jpg

Overall thoughts​

The S12 is an absolute winner in my books. It does come in strong with an intense treble but it does detail retrieval well enough for the price I’m willing to ignore my preferences as I prefer warmer sounding IEMs. The tuning I think was done well and I absolutely recommend the S12 for both newcomers and those who want to see what the hype around these second gen planar IEMs is all about. I never really cared to check out LETSHUOER stuff before but I’m very happy I was given the chance to listen to the S12. I look forward to seeing what other products LETSHUOER has planned for the future. Thanks for reading!
corgifall
I have the THIEAUDIO V16 Divinity on hand which is a 16 BA TOTL and while the s12 is very good being somewhat raw in detail retrieval, a well tuned TOTL like the v16 out performs it and the difference in performance is very noticeable. I think up till the $500 mark, the s12 is hard to beat though.
n00kie
n00kie
I love my S12 most of the time however I ordered Shozy Magma as my first TriBrid experience so I'm gonna tell you how's the upgrade within the 500$ price bracket.
K
Krucoz
Listening them with Azla Xelastec and a a Xduoo link2 balanced. Was wondering how much you have to spend to beat them, got a response:wink:

100+ Head-Fier
Letshuoer S12 Review
Pros: Fun and engaging sound
Good technicalities
Solid build quality
Easy to drive
Accurate timbre
Cons: Treble might be hot for some (Just nice to my taste)
Nothing much at this price point for a planar IEM
mygN79bz2iw_yV5d9IyR6jsbsgkcwGjYcGqMODtyJ06XqcZkCnzm0pzVhmSevuB7S7-1B1CbrU1MEu5_3xHrDOybmSOV0iktzFSuzMyBy-PYbeWG7sopgetIKIjXneFaO-1b92q6VS6HkrMASHsC4bs

Intro
Letshuoer is a company that was founded in August 2016.They are specialised in making in ear monitors for stage use but they do have in ear monitors for audiophiles as well. They were called Shuoer previously and I am very sure a lot of audiophiles are familiar with this model Tape Pro that is using an electrostatic dynamic driver.

Today I have with me their first planar in ear monitor,S12. This is my 2nd encounter with planar IEM and I have to say I really like the S12 compared to the first planar IEM that i listened to. This is not to say the first was bad,rather the S12 is more suitable for my library.

Packaging
The packaging is rather minimal,nothing too fancy but the overall design does look premium.
You will find three types of eartips in the box,two which are silicone based and another being foam tips,pretty generous. The cable is silver plated monocrystalline copper cable in 4.4 termination. I am really surprised to see such high quality stock cable at this price point. The included faux leather carrying case looks premium as well. A very good unboxing experience overall.

FlT-13ED9OpiOHdSo5J25rGL_Q4JEL1PEVQEsjtcqXkwegwoCJekynhrqd9FFATwZv5c3tuW3NWhTNTx2RiRiWA27UJmWPyDmx2QK3CEMl4YZyIm2FZ5x4FNFhPZnAzoEnSGRw-GrReNeldZGiPWgLw

Build/Comfort
S12 is a full metal build and it is very solid overall. The whole iem is smooth and there aren't any sharp edges. In terms of comfort,S12 fits very well in my ears and I have no discomfort even wearing them for long listening sessions,do take into consideration that everyone’s ear is different and if it fits well for me doesn’t mean it will fit well for you,but fortunately,Letshuoer does throw in plenty of ear tips choices,so i’m sure there will be one that fits eventually.

Source
Foobar2k -> Questyle M15 -> Letshuoer S12
Foobar2k -> TRI TK2 -> Letshuoer S12
Hidizs AP80 Pro-X -> Letshuoer S12

S12 is my 2nd encounter with planar IEM.My first was TinHifi’s P1 Max,and they offered me a positive listening experience on how a planar sounded.S12 to me has very good technicalities,some might even perceive it bright,due to it being quite detailed.In terms of tonality,it is leaning towards neutral bright,but not harsh/fatigue sounding to me.To me they're very dynamic and engaging to listen to.
Bass
  • The bass rendition is nowhere near basshead level but it certainly provides enough "fun"
  • Bass extension is good and the sub bass rumble can be felt, definitely no slouch when it comes to EDM
  • Bass has good texture and note weight to it,it is also tight and clean
  • Mid bass has got thump to it and the transition between the sub and mid bass is quite balanced without sounding incoherent
  • I personally find the tuning of bass is done right to my preference,somewhere between fun and audiophile but not venturing into the basshead category

Mids
  • Timbre sounds correct to me and the midrange is actually quite lush
  • Vocal doesn’t sound recessed,slightly in your face but nowhere near intimate,i do find this kind of vocal positioning sounds very nice as there are some space and it kinda give me the perception of openness
  • Both male and female vocal has good texture to them,doesn’t sound thin at all
  • Bass doesn’t bleed into the mids
  • In general,i find that the mids are smooth from the lower mids to upper mids,on certain track where i listened with some IEM,the upper mids can be a little hot,but this is not the case with S12
Treble
  • Treble has good amount of air and sparkle to it,doesn’t sound congested at all
  • Detail retrieval is also good but not to the point where it is overly analytical
  • The treble is smooth and not fatigue,no sibilance or harshness at all,i like how the treble is tuned here (this is my preference,depending on your sensitivity on treble,you may or may not like it)
Soundstage/Imaging
  • S12’s soundstage sounds slightly out of head and quite open,but a little lacking in height to give the perception of big soundstage,but overall it is quite good considering its asking price,one can’t have it all
  • Imaging is good,the instruments can be pin pointed easily in busy track like Slipknot’s Duality
Driveability
  • S12 is very easy to drive and it does sound decently loud even from weaker source like Apple’s Lightning Dongle
  • Switching over to TRI’s TK2,with decent driving power,bass seems to tighten up a little and controlled
Comparison (TinHifi P1 Max)
  • Switching over to P1 Max for the purpose of comparison,i would say the tonality between P1 Max and S12 is totally different
  • P1 Max is on the warmer and laid back side while S12 is on neutral bright and energetic side,this is not something bad but more of personal preference
  • I will not go into details on how different both of them are,you can find out from others review or mine for P1 Max,i will put it as S12 clearly pulls ahead in terms of technicalities while P1 Max is more on the musical side and laid back
  • While S12’s plus point being a little cheaper than P1 Max?

Final Thoughts
S12 is my 2nd encounter with planar and again,I have a very positive experience with it and this time it is a different kind of experience in the sense of a more energetic and detailed set than my previous encounter.
S12 to me gives a balance between energetic and musicality,but some might find S12 a little too energetic for those who are sensitive to treble,but to me,it is just right and it can be alleviated by using Final Type E eartips,it made everything sounds a little more texture/thicker while still retaining that slightly toned down energy.

What else is there to say? Grab the S12 if it fits within your budget and also if the sound signature is something that you are looking for.

*The S12 was sent over by Letshuoer for a demo tour in Malaysia. I thank them for the opportunity and i am in no way influenced nor compensated to produce this review

If you are interested in purchasing one,head over to Letshuoer’s store below:
Letshuoer S12

7GGJqcZe7LOGy2W4HzxVBYReS8HfDI-Cx8G_cb_g7f4ekwSos6D8ZM5qy2bpZoeoGfcg3gBfuqAKlN8gCGOUZRMAf-cYEQ36fv7KibYNBCoEwooSq0w2Drvx-0F0K87l11jlNIf1sS0zjSJCT6ST0Ns
hevelaoak
nice one bro (+1 for cool photos)
originalsnuffy
originalsnuffy
Is that an iced coffee? Or?.....
It is summer and cool beverages may top reviews of toys.

And yes, great review.
ywheng89
@originalsnuffy HAHA,yeap! Iced black coffee! Can't go on without one in a day.
Thanks for your kind words :)

TsL667

Give it a try
Pros: Great value and Well Tune
Cons: Comfort and Fit
image0.jpeg

Hi guys, first off huge thanks to https://letshuoer.net/products/s12-hifi-earphones-planar-iems and my friend ywheng89 for including me in the listening tour. Below are my thoughts.

Equipment used: Sony Wm1a on 4.4 mm BAL

Put S12 through the pace by listening to wide range of genre and concluded these are best with Electronic, Pop and Rock. Just listen to Yellow Magic Orchestra using this, Super fun.
In short, these IEM are for casual listening and not for analytical listening, no harsh. Detailed monster they are not as it could not really pick the subtle nuances but were more than made up for it by being a well tuned IEM that excels for its price point. Soundstage and imaging are adequate.

As a first generation planar IEM offering,S12 punches above it weight and was a pleasant surprise. If you are curious about how planar IEM sound like, start here and you wont be let down. Happy listening.

500+ Head-Fier
In Search of the Found Response
Pros: Great frequency response, great tuning.
- One of the highest values for its price.
- Very good balance.
- Remarkable construction, fit, ergonomics.
- Good cable and case.
- Homogeneity of sound, all bands have good presence.
- Pleasant, smooth and pleasant sound, suitable for use at any time and for many hours.
Cons: The cable does not extract the true potential of the IEMS.
- Bass is not very descriptive, the texture is soft. It does not compare to the physicality provided by a dynamic driver.
- Detail extraction is simply good, as are stage and separation.
- This is not an IEMS for critical listening, it is not analytical.
Introduction

Formerly called Shuoer, the brand changed its name to Letshuoer not long ago. Known for having a few IEMS worth more than $200 under their belt, they started to get more buzz with their Tape Pro model and the collaboration with the famous audio reviewer, the HBB Kinda Lava model. But it is clear that the S12 is one of his most famous and best-selling models. As it could not be otherwise, it is an IEMS with a 14.8mm planar driver, customised by the brand itself. According to forums and users, there is controversy over whether or not it shares a driver with other similar models. In any case, the point here is not to look for three feet to the cat, in that sense, but to review a model that is among the favourites of many portable audio enthusiasts. In this review I will break down the virtues and shortcomings, if any, of the Letshuoer S12.

Shuoer S12 01_resize.jpgShuoer S12 02_resize.jpg

Specifications

• Driver Type: Planar 14.8mm
  • Frequency Response: 20Hz-30kHz.
  • Sensitivity: 102dB/mW
  • Impedance: 16Ω
  • Cable length: 1.2m
  • Cable type: 128-wire silver-plated monocrystalline copper cable.
  • Jack connector: choice of 3.5mm Single Ended or 4.4mm Balanced
  • Capsule Connection Type: 2Pin 0.78mm
  • IP Rating: IPX3

Shuoer S12 03_resize.jpgShuoer S12 04_resize.jpg

Packaging

The Letshuoer S12s come in an eminently white box with dimensions 152x104x67mm. On the front side, a large real image of both capsules can be seen. At the top left, the name of the brand. A little further down, a small description. On the right, the logo. The back side is terse, there is only lettering. Starting at the top, what looks like a slogan, in larger letters. Underneath are the specifications, in English and Chinese. From the middle to the bottom, there are the brand's branding, more logos and the certifications that the product meets.
With the outer cardboard removed, the white box is revealed, with the brand name between the main face and one side. The manual is the first thing you can see, after lifting the lid. Underneath are the capsules encased in dense black foam rubber, located at the top. Underneath is a transparent plastic case with foam tips inside. Behind, there is another layer of foam with the rest of the accessories. In a nutshell:

• 2 S12 capsules.
  • 1 cable.
  • 1 black oval case with zip.
  • Instruction manual.
  • Brand card.
  • Warranty card.
  • Quality control card.
  • 1 set of grey silicone tips, sizes SxMxL.
  • 1 set of transparent silicone tips with black core, sizes SxMxL.
  • 1 set of black foam tips, sizes SxMxL.

The presentation is fine, as are the components. The foam tips are nice, but the grey silicone tips are too soft for my taste. I do prefer the zippered case and the cable quality is superior. Although, it is true that I got the best sound from the S12s with a different silver-plated cable. Overall, remarkable.

Shuoer S12 05_resize.jpgShuoer S12 06_resize.jpg

Construction and Design

The nozzles grow from the centre of the inner face, although they are not very long. They have two tiers and are 4mm high. The first tier has a smaller diameter of 5.25mm. The second and outermost tier has a diameter of 5.85mm. The mouthpiece is protected by a perforated metal grid.
In summary, the capsule lines are rounded and smooth, but the mouthpieces are somewhat short.
The cable is a 128-strand silver-plated monocrystalline copper wire. It is thick and consists of two coiled strands. They look dense and silver-plated, you feel it is of good quality. The measured impedance is an indicative 0.2Ω.
In my case, I chose the 4.4mm balanced connector, it is gold plated. The plug housing is relatively large. It is a cylinder with a rough band near the end of the cable. There is a velcro strip to tuck the cable in, which says "shouer acoustics" on it. The splitter piece is a smooth cylinder, the same grey colour as the plug sleeve. It is 13mm long and almost 8mm in diameter, the same as the other piece. Shape and appearance repeated for the 2Pin 0.78mm connector sleeves. The plastic base on which the pins sit, has a red colour for the right channel, transparent for the left channel. The cable at this end has a semi-rigid guide on the ear. Finally, the pin is a simple piece of translucent plastic, small, cylindrical, with an 8-shaped hole inside, through which the cables pass.
The design is very eye-catching, with a shape that combines simplicity with undeniable appeal. The size is average, but the nozzles are somewhat short. The cable stands out as premium for its thickness and presence. But its performance can be improved, for a price, of course.
The fact that the capsules are made of metal has its pros and cons. On the one hand, you have to be careful with them, they make noise wherever you leave them, if the surface is hard. The weight is not great, but it is always superior to resin.

Shuoer S12 07_resize.jpgShuoer S12 08_resize.jpg

Adjustment and Ergonomics

The fit of the capsule in the ears is very good, thanks to its shape and size. Perhaps a slight rotation inside the pinna is allowed and readjustment may be necessary, especially when the tips are somewhat short and the insertion shallow. Isolation may depend on the tips used, but is not as great as with a deeper insertion. Overall the feel is quite good and the ergonomics are easy and effective. The micro-sanded surface facilitates a pleasant contact, as well as all its rounded shapes touching parts of the ear. It is not tiring over the hours, perhaps only because of the weight it is not suitable for somewhat sudden movements.

Shuoer S12 09_resize.jpgShuoer S12 10_resize.jpg

Profile

Unlike other reviewers who post their frequency responses on Squig.link, I don't have a predetermined or preferred target or curve. I used to have a more fixed idea of a profile that I liked best. But the more headphones I review, the more flexible I become in this regard. Undoubtedly, the sound must have certain characteristics for me to like it more or less. I am an avowed bass lover, but I also like analytical sound. Even if I were to draw a reference frequency response, it would be very similar to that of the S12s. Does this mean that the Letshuoer can become my favourite IEMS? Well, that's not entirely true. Undoubtedly, I like them. But there are a number of other variables involved in their sound. One has to do with the technology used for their driver. I'm not going to highlight its virtues because there are many better articles that reveal the differences in the sound produced by planar, dynamic, balanced harmonics, etc. drivers.
No doubt the breakdown of what I think about each band of the S12 will follow. But there are other reasons why I wanted to give a slightly longer introduction to what these headphones have suggested to me.
Going back to the profile, I could comment that they have a U-profile, with a deep sub-bass end, which extends slightly into the mid-bass. While the treble is stretched in a linear, wide and controlled way. The entire frequency range moves in a relatively narrow dB band, implying a well-balanced profile. The distance between the highest peak and the deepest valley, between 20Hz and 10kHz, barely exceeds 10dB. The balance is superior. That is the basis of my preference for this curve, as no band seems to clearly overlap and the mids are in a very appropriate presence to distance ratio.
On the other hand, and this is where the controversy comes in, I find some points that are not to my complete liking. For example, in the physical aspect of the bass, the amount of air they move, the level of transparency and clarity of the sound, as well as the overall definition and resolution of the sound, despite the large treble extension it possesses. Some of these aspects have been improved by replacing the standard cable with more expensive ones, as well as by playing with superior sources. But I still find the sound soft and not as analytical as I like it. But this is not a bad thing, just my personal opinion.

Letshuoer-S12.png

Bass

Bass is a dilemma for me. I find it very difficult to criticise them, but I don't really like them either. It is clear that they have depth, a good amount of presence, an accentuated sub-bass and remarkable technical capabilities. But the particular planar sonority is there. That mix of speed, precision, definition and depth takes away some of the fun and physicality that I look for and find in some dynamic drivers. I also miss a more descriptive and rougher texture, even more unbalanced. In short, I miss a more visceral bass. Instead, what you get is a precise and tight reproduction, mixing controlled power with concise definition, tight development and a decay without aftertaste or flavour. There is cleanness in its execution, but also good layering and presentation of planes. But I find the bass too analytical and controlled, in an area where I don't usually look for such characteristics. I'm sure others will appreciate these capabilities as virtues, I can't go against the grain and deny the evidence of the quality of the lower range. But I enjoy other imperfections.

Shuoer S12 11_resize.jpgShuoer S12 12_resize.jpg

Mids

I come back to the bass to talk about the centre area. What at first glance might appear to be the FR of the S12s does not match the performance of a dynamic driver. In this sense, the respect for the mid-range is high and it is at this point that this band grows with planar technology. It is clear that a technically superior driver makes it possible to combine the three bands without overlapping, but rather enriching the mix and presenting vocals and bass on a different plane, but at the same level. And this is no mean feat for IEMS of this price. This is how all the voices feel truly full, with a balanced body, the result of winning tuning. But again, there is something about the sound that doesn't quite satisfy me. And it's a demand that comes from the perfectionism I'm putting the S12 through, from something I know is good and I question why it's not superior to me. It is the reviewer's eagerness to be contrary. That is the reality. Instead of admitting the musicality of the voices and instruments, I look for a darker background that I can't find, a more obvious definition, a higher level of resolution and detail extraction, a more diaphanous transparency. It is that more analytical profile that I want to find here. The result is that where others enjoy, I have chosen to criticise, because of those first impressions by which I have let myself be carried away.
And what does the mid-range actually look like? Well, perhaps I should write that they are on the verge of genius, of a perfection that other IEMS in the range would like, or just a step away from it. Yes, I'm really not very descriptive in this range, but haven't you read any other reviews of the S12s? Perhaps I can say nothing more than to write my feelings and longings about these IEMS.

Shuoer S12 13_resize.jpgShuoer S12 14_resize.jpg

Treble

Another advantage of planar technology, at least in this case, is the timbre of the high frequency range. Although I have mentioned that the bass result is not the one that best suits my preferences, the treble does fit quite well. In principle, because they have a tuning that I would draw if I were asked for an opinion. The treble is linear, very well extended, with a great ratio of width, brightness, thickness, lift and sparkle that is totally enviable. The control point is just right and they fit within the respectful limit of sibilance and a crisper emphasis. I think it is tuned to a sweet spot, which saves smoothness and control. To my mind, I find no unpleasant peaks. But it is true that its linearity means there is presence where others lack and this response may not be to everyone's taste. I prefer it and like that flatter response in the first half of the top end. And flat doesn't mean depressed, nor enhanced in this case. And that's quite good, albeit with the caveat of a more limited airy feel.

Shuoer S12 15_resize.jpgShuoer S12 16_resize.jpg

Soundstage, Separation

Keeping the presence of all the bands at a similar level means that the music is close to the listener. This sensation does not translate into a sound lacking in depth, nor does it translate into a congested sound. Dealing with these sensations and managing to avoid them says a lot, again, about the quality of the S12. But it is true that the end result suffers. Thus, the scene is presented frontally, with noticeable laterality, sufficiently airy, but well delimited, also in height. Although the stereo perception can be surprising, there is not much of an ethereal or vaporous feeling. Three-dimensionality is acceptable, but without getting out of the head, and all sounds are well anchored and defined. This helps to set the scene and the provenance of the elements. But when they are placed on similar planes it becomes more diffuse.
Separation is good, without being stellar. An improved cable helps in this regard, as well as gaining more transparency, getting a more discernible and darker background, as well as improving definition by sharpening details. And in that respect, the S12 is not the best at extracting micro nuances. It is true that it manages to outline them, but not to bring them out completely.

Shuoer S12 17_resize.jpgShuoer S12 18_resize.jpg

Comparisons

Moondrop Kanas Pro

The Kanas Pro may be the beginning of many things. Just look at the fact that up to 2kHz they are the same. On a technical level the S12s are clearly superior, while the Kanas Pro is warmer and darker, with a smoother, more satiny sound. Treble extension is noticeable in the S12s. But the Kanas Pro have an FR that has been perfected by Moondrop in later models, as the sound has been refined. The S12s are not from Moondrop, but the improvement is noticeable, without the price premium.

Letshuoer-S12-vs-Moondrop-Kanas-Pro.png

Tri Meteor

Although the Meteors have less mid-range bass, the punch is superior, as is their physicality and texture. They have what I look for in the low end and what the S12s lack to some extent. The mid-zone feels more vivid and with more contrast, but with less control. I find it more fun, but less technical. The treble doesn't have the precision, definition and resolution of the S12s, I find the Meteors more out of control.

Letshuoer-S12-vs-TRI-Meteor.png

NS Audio NS Audio NS5MKII Bass Ed

One of my favourite IEMS and little known by enthusiasts. With a fairly analytical profile for a balanced dynamic driver, they still put up a good fight at this stage. Even the upper-midrange pattern and its real representation, finer and more defined, is superior to that of the S12, for my personal taste. The bass is lower, very tight in speed and presence, with very good technicality and texture provided by the dynamic driver. Again, treble extension and more bass presence may tip the balance towards the S12s. Although the sound of the NS Audio has a cleanliness and brightness that I don't find in the S12s.

Letshuoer-S12-vs-NS-Audio-NS-Audio-NS5MKII-Bass-Ed.png

NF Audio NA2

Another clear difference is that the dynamic bass in an almost identical FR down to 2kHz does not sound the same, are the NF Audio NA2s. The bass response of the NA2s is excellent for their price, with a speed and technical characteristics that have nothing to envy to the S12s. In addition, they have more weight and move more air, which is why the sensation of oppression on impact is slightly superior.
On top, the mid-highs feel more enhanced and, again, as with other models already compared, there is a little more sparkle evident. The S12 presents these details in a more relaxed and less overt manner. Their greater smoothness is clearly noticeable in the face of the more restless, full-bodied and expressive character of the NA2s. Very good treble extension in the NF Audio, but less linear. Possibly one of the best models of this brand, doing a great job between power, musicality and definition over the 100$.

Letshuoer-S12-vs-NF-Audio-NA2.png

Ikko OH10

The OH10 is still one of the greats in this range and I can say without fear that it still holds its own in the face of new developments. Quite a bit heavier, a bit more U-shaped, with more clarity, definition and transparency. The OH10s are more analytical, less smooth, but more detailed. It is clear that they gain some of this favour due to their emphasis on the high mids. But it is also true that they avoid any hint of congestion and veiling. Their separation is more visible and the amount of detail is more apparent. They may be less musical and somewhat harsher or shriller in the treble. But there are different tastes. For a little, a better scene, a more forceful and enjoyable bass.

Letshuoer-S12-vs-Ikko-OH10.png

BQEYZ Autumn Bass

Another one of the greats, albeit slightly more expensive. With the best filter change I've seen so far, the bass tuning doesn't polarise the sound, but very much matches the S12, it's even subtly lighter at the sub-bass end. Very expressive and musical, with very good definition and level of resolution, highly versatile and more evident with detail, yet at the same level of extraction at the micro nuance level. Again, a point of greater excitement in the upper mids forces the situation. Separation is more obvious and the scene is more dynamic, spaced out and ethereal. The S12s are less excitable, but when they are pushed with power they respond very well. In fact, they like power sources and that is when they reveal their best side. But always within musical restraint and control.

Letshuoer-S12-vs-BQEYZ-Autumn-Bass.png

Conclusion

The Letshuoer S12s are like the ideal formula for a desired frequency response. I have been able to demonstrate that there are several models on the market that pursue a curve like this model. But none of them embroider the profile as well as the S12. But that doesn't mean they are perfect. The planar sound may be their greatest ally, but it is also their enemy. It is clear that the driver does not lack personality and I am sure that many will be in favour of its great virtues. I bow to the evidence and that's why I highlight its behaviour, smoothness and excellent intonation. But I also defend the fact that dynamic technology, even hybrid technology, has not yet said the last word. But looking at the level of this driver, if I were one of the other drivers, I would shudder. Planar technology in IEMS is not new, but now it has definitely taken off in the IEM format. The Letshuoer S12s are a great paradigm of what can be achieved. If this is already the level, if its potential is great, how far can it go? Well, I don't know, but it will be a real pleasure to find out. For the moment, the best thing to do is to enjoy the S12s.

Shuoer S12 19_resize.jpgShuoer S12 20_resize.jpg

Sources Used During the Analysis

• S.M.S.L Sanskrit 10th MKII + iFi ZEN CAN.
  • Hidizs AP80 PRO-X.
  • HiBy R3 Pro.
  • Earmen Colibri.
  • Earmen Sparrow.
  • xDuoo Link2 BAL.
  • Tempotec Sonata E44.
  • Tempotec V1-A + Hidizs DH80S.
  • Hidizs S9 Pro.

• Separation: 82
  • Soundstage: 80
  • Quality/Price: 95

Shuoer S12 23_resize.jpgShuoer S12 24_resize.jpg

Letshuoer offered me this model, in exchange for writing an honest review. I want to make it clear that all my opinions written in this review have not been conditioned by this fact, nor will I ever write anything that I do not really think or feel here. I will only write about my personal opinion in relation to the revised product.

Shuoer S12 25_resize.jpg

Purchase Link

Shuoer-S12-26_resize.jpg

You can read the full review in Spanish here

Shuoer-S12-27_resize.jpg
Shuoer-S12-28_resize.jpg
EQbumb
Here is the thing I have more than 10 IEMs from $10-400. I was so surprised by the macro detail of kz ESX which every of my other IEMs couldn't pull out including my s12, in other areas like the technicalities, stage, tonality and other aspects s12 gave it KO. A car 🚙 crushed the right ear of my ESX and ever since I've been searching for something close or better to my ESX which I haven't found. I just got OH10, kz EDA and 7hz Sal zero all of them couldn't do macro or micro detail as much as my beloved ESX so sad 😔
EQbumb
Please can you do a short comparison of them I meant the titan s and t2 dlc?

SenyorC

100+ Head-Fier
My new EDC
Pros: I am just a big fan of these, so it's easier to list the cons!
Cons: Not the most detailed of IEMs
DSC_0879.JPG

These IEMs are a set that I was very interested in trying out and while I was in Miami, Antdroid very kindly loaned them to me. I got to spend a day or so with them, with a very positive first impression, and was about to create a mini review for them when Letshuoer reached out to me, offering to send them to me for review. I was obviously very happy to do a full review of them and a few weeks later, here we are.

Therefore, these IEMs have been sent to me by Letshuoer in order to review them and give my detailed impressions on them. They have not made any specific requests (although I will share a non-affiliate link to them on my blog (here) and my review will aim to be, as always, as honest and unbiased as possible, although you should always consider the fact that these IEMs did not cost me anything.

DSC_0875.JPG

Intro…

There has been quite a surge of planar magnetic IEMs lately, gaining quite a lot of popularity due to them having improved a lot since previous releases. Two of the most popular have proven to be the Timeless and the S12, the set I have here today.

I did get to try out the Timeless while away and published a mini review of them that you can find here. In that mini review, I compared them quite a bit to the S12, as I had tried them side by side for a day or two, and I mentioned that the comparison probably didn’t make much sense due to the fact that I didn’t actually publish the mini review of the S12. I just mentioned above the reason for not publishing the mini review and I am very happy I have got the chance to test these IEMs over a longer period so that I can share more detailed impressions.

I also mentioned in all of the mini reviews (unless I forgot to mention it in any of them) that when I spend a more extended time with a set of IEMs (or headphones), my opinions may change over that period. I may grow used to some of the things I find strange at first and learn to like them more than I do over a short period, but it can also go the other way, I may start noticing things that I didn’t at first and which make the IEMs not as pleasant for me.

In this case, my impressions from the short period I spent with them have not changed much, if anything, I like them even more than I did over the short period I spent with them. I said in the 7Hz Timeless mini review that personally I preferred the S12 (although both are great sets of IEMs) and although I haven’t had a chance to spend a longer period with the Timeless, I still maintain my decision.

Anyway, enough chit chat and let's get on with the important stuff.

DSC_0852.JPG

Presentation…

The packaging of the S12 is simple, with a basic white box and an image of the product on the cover. Inside there is nothing out of the ordinary either, but that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t come with everything that a set of IEMs should.

Inside the box we get the IEMs, multiple sets of tips (3x sets of foam in their own hard case and two types of silicone, 3 sets of each type), a nice compact carrying case that is smaller that what is usually included but is still big enough for the S12 to fit without issues, and a cable.

You can choose which cable you would like including when placing an order for the S12 (via the official page), choosing between 3.5mm and 4.4mm terminations, with an option of silver or nebula grey for the IEMs also. In my case, I went for the 4.4mm cable and the cable is of very good quality, although it is a little thick for my personal tastes. While it is not what I would pick personally, the cable has actually grown on me a lot over the past week as far as comfort, and there is no denying it is a great looking cable.

So, everything you need is included in the package, I cannot complain at all in this sense.

DSC_0860.JPG

Build and aesthetics…

The build quality is good, there are no apparent issues that I can spot, and everything in the package seems well manufactured, including cable, IEMs and tips.

As far as aesthetics, these are quite simple. The shells are fully metal and are finished in a simple, no frills, silver colour (in my case). Obviously aesthetics are just as personal as comfort but they don’t strike me as anything that should offend the vast majority of people.

I just mentioned above that the cable is a great looking cable, so again, I have no complaints.

As far as comfort, I find them very comfortable, fitting my ears perfectly and although I would prefer a slightly lighter weight cable, it has also grown on me (possibly aesthetics taking a part in this). For tips, I had been using Xelastec tips for a lot of my listening time but I decided to try out the spring tips that are included with the Moondrop Chu (review of the Chu coming soon) and I have found that I not only find them to have great sound but to also be extremely comfortable without the hassle of the Xelastecs.

As I just said, comfort is as personal as aesthetics (or even more so), so everyone is going to be different, but I find these more comfortable than the Timeless and also less “attention seeking” with regards to aesthetics.

DSC_0886.JPG

Sound…

Just a reminder that all tracks mentioned in this section are clickable links that will allow you to open the song in the streaming service of your choice, allowing a direct reference of the song I am talking about.

Here is where I fell in love with the S12. Anyone who has followed my headphone reviews will probably already know that I am a planar magnetic lover, and in the case of IEMs, it seems to be that I am of a similar fashion. I have had the Audeze iSine for quite some time now and I like them, except for the fact that they need a ton of equalisation in order for them to have a decent tuning. The S12 does not have that issue. The tuning out of the box is great, in my opinion of course, and I have found that they are probably the most pleasurable set of IEMs for long listening sessions that I have spent time with so far.

Moving through the usual sound categories, starting with subbass as always, there is no roll off here, at least not that I can hear. Putting the S12 through my usual subbass workout which is “Chameleon”, there is plenty of presence to give me the sub rumble that this track presents, without them seeming to lose control at any point. There are many sets of IEMs that can get that low end rumble with this track but once the subbass starts to mix with the midbass, things can get a little hazy. That is not the case with the S12, they keep things nice and collected, offering a great presentation of this track which is better than the vast majority (almost all, especially at this price) of IEMs that I have tried.

Moving into the midbass, if we look at the graph of the S12 vs my target preference, there is a little more than I request.

graph(1).png

(all my IEM measurements can be found and compared on achoreviews.squig.link)

However, targets are just a rough guidance and we shouldn’t get fixated on things adhering to targets too much, as sometimes a deviation can actually sound better, depending on how that is presented and controlled by the IEMs in question.

In the case of the S12, the midbass is extremely well controlled, making things sound precise and clear, even when a track is busy in these areas. Even activating the XBass boost on the Gryphon, where bass becomes overpowering for me personally (depending on the track of course), they still keep control and definition of the notes.

Tracks like “No Sanctuary Here”, which have a strong bass presence but need cleanliness to sound their best, sound clear and, well, great on the S12. More “old school” songs, such as things like “Whole Lotta Love”, benefit quite a bit from the additional presence of the midbass, making the bass guitar of John Paul Jones become a little more present but without it sounding out of balance with the rest. The live performances by Clarke, Miller and Wooten (which is unfortunately not available on streaming services, at least as far as I know) are nicely presented with the separation of the 3 bass guitars being quite easy.

Moving into the mids, there is no bleed, no muddyness, just a nice clean transition. There is also no recess in the mids, keeping them from losing space to the midabass. The slap/pluck of “Elephants on Ice Skates” comes across as well balanced, without it being overpowering in the lower notes and without it losing in the mids to the brass section.

Listening to some of my favourite styles of music, such as acoustic and simple vocal/instrumental tracks, the mids are smooth, without anything sounding harsh or out of place. There is the usual hint of “coldness” that this kind of music can portray on planar magnetic drivers, which may sound a little different if you are used to dynamics but it is something that I have grown to enjoy from infinite hours spent with planar headphones.

A listen to “Diamonds on the Souls of Her Shoes”, which can be a little harsh on the higher mids and lower treble on many sets, still presents a little harshness to Paul Simon's voice if volume is pushed but in general it is again well balanced and is not painful (unless pushed way above my usual listening levels). “Don’t You Worry Child”, another track that can easily become harsh to my ears, is much better than I expected and is quite listenable.

Hip hop, which is something that can suffer quite a bit in regards to vocals when the midbass is boosted and the higher mids are not overly present to compensate, actually sounds as it should. Or at least it sounds like I expect it to sound after many decades of listening on many speaker set ups and other headphones. As an example, “Make Noise” by Busta Rhymes and Lenny Kravitz, has the vocals quite recessed in the mix, which can either totally disappear or become boosted, depending on the system, seem to have the same presence as I have heard on many monitor and live set ups.

Moving into the treble, there is a nice extension and plenty of “air” to make it thoroughly enjoyable for me. As a sibilance test, using “Code Cool” as usual, there is a slight hint of sibilance on a few of the “S” by Patricia Barber, but certainly not enough to make the track painful or difficult to listen to. This is something that can be the case on many sets of IEMs and headphones, with her voice either being harsh and sibilant, or subdued and pushed back. Again, I would say that the S12 do a great job of keeping it where it should be.

While the detail of these IEMs is very good, I do feel that detrail retrieval may not be the strongest point of the S12. I only listened to the Timeless for a day or so, although I got the possibility to test them side by side with the S12, but I got the feeling that as far as detail retrieval, the Timeless did have the slight edge here. Neither sets are going to compete with something like the Helios (a set of IEMs that is 5 times the price) but both are very good, not just for this price bracket.

At no point do I get the sensation that details are missing, they are all there, just maybe not as apparent as they are on some other sets. Listening to the intro of “All Your Love Turned to Passion”, there are some details in the left channel from the acoustic guitar that can be extremely impressive when a set of headphones presents them well. In the case of the S12, the details are there but they are not something that stand out and make you say “wow”, something that does happen on certain planar magnetic headphones like the higher end Hifimans, but this is obviously not even a comparison that can (or should) be made.

Soundstage is also good for a set of IEMs but without being outstanding. I really don’t find many IEMs to have a large sensation of space in this regard and the S12 are no exception. I would say they are on the higher side of average but not something that give the impression of having a huge amount of space for images to spread out. For example, “La Luna”, which is a binaural recording, does give a nice surrounding sensation but it is slightly closer than on open back headphones (which is again, not a very fair comparison).

The placement of images is very good however, with pretty good precision inside the soundstage that the S12 do have to work with. As I just mentioned, “La Luna” is easily placed around you, and also things like “Strange Fruit” show nice placement of the different layers of vocals.

DSC_0895.JPG

Conclusion…

Well, I guess I have made it pretty clear that I like the S12, I don’t think there is any doubt about that. When I made the series of mini reviews, I got to spend some time comparing the Timeless and the S12 (I mentioned the comparison quite a bit in the TImeless mini review here), two sets that compete pretty closely with one and another, and I mentioned that I personally preferred the S12, at least after a day or two of use. I also mentioned that more time with a set sometimes makes me like (or dislike) something more and with the S12, I have grown to like it even more, making me very happy to use it as my daily IEM. I obviously haven’t had more time with the Timeless since then, but if I had picked the S12 out of the two based on the time I spent with them both, then I would have absolutely no regrets.

I read Antdroids review of the S12 and he said something that completely clicked with me and that I agree with 100%. I am paraphrasing from memory here but he said something along the lines of “ *The S12 are like the Hifiman HE400se, they are maybe not the most detailed option and don’t have the fastest of planar speeds, but there is a decent amount for the price and the tonality makes up for it* ” (or something along those lines 😉 ). I couldn’t agree more. The HE400se are a set of headphones that I just like, they are by no means the best performing headphones that I have but the overall sound is just pleasurable and is something that I can enjoy for hours of simple music listening. I feel the S12 are the same, I have come to not expect them to surprise me with things I didn’t know existed, but I have no doubt that they always perform well, no matter the track, and are a pleasure to listen to.

I was also surprised to find that they work really well with the iFi Go Blu. Due to expectations, I thought that the Go Blu would not be able to drive these IEMs well, but I was mistaken. Using the balanced output, it performs very well and has become a very portable set up that I am more than happy to use all day while away from my usual set ups, meaning I don’t need to rely on the Gryphon for portable power with these IEMs. I think this is probably more of a praise towards the Go Blu than the S12, however, it is something that has made me very happy.

If I needed to resume this (very long) review into a TLDR, it would be “A set of IEMs that I enjoy immensely and while not the highest performers out there, a perfect solution for my EDC”.

As always, this review can also be found in Spanish both on my blog (here) and YouTube (here)
zeke33
zeke33
What other IEM's are better detailed (minus $1000+ range)? Somebody said detail levels were up there with the Moondrop S8.

Gabriel Lira

New Head-Fier
The best iem what o ever heard
Pros: - Tonality
- Tecnicalities
- duality in bass
- Price, apresentation, ergonomic
Cons: - Sound stage
Hello, this is my first review, I'm a native Brazilian, I don't know English so I'm using a translator, I ask you to forgive possible inconsistencies in my writing
I am a listener of classical music, my favorite genre, which I listen to every day. Sometimes I catch myself enjoying Burial or headbanging listening to Marauda or Svdden Death, but only sometimes 🥴

My headphones - I have a TinHifi family, Moondrop Aria and the Shuoer S12

Well, let's go
- APRESENTATION
It's good, it comes in a nice box, good tips in a good presentation, but that's it, the Moondrop Aria presentation pleases me more, but the box is good for storing the phone in the period when he left China and came to Brazil ( Unfortunately the box came slightly wrinkled by the carrier 😞)

-Ergonomics and isolation
The headphones are big, they occupy my ear completely, but they don't bother me, looking at myself in the mirror with them on, they seem uncomfortable, but when I manage to fit them in correctly, they are wonderful. About the insulation, from 0-10 I would give it a 5, maybe it's because of the huge hole it has for ventilation, I can't say exactly why, but it doesn't insulate very well, it insulates well, but that's all

- Sound Stage
Well, it could be better. Everything sounds close, I don't feel like anything sounds too far away from me, even on recordings with the most well-developed stage. Something that I can consider as a slight problem is the position of some instruments on stage, when a passage comes where there are brass instruments that sound more intense, such as a trumpet, a trombone, for example the s12 places these instruments in front of the others , the whole orchestra is frantic, but the trombones and trumpets take the lead and sound stronger, more alive, sharper, more textured, but that's not exactly correct, but it's nothing to stop you from enjoying the music. The instruments sound well detached from each other, the position of the sounds is quite satisfactory, we have a great separation between the instruments around your head, but they sound around the head, they don't sound far away, don't forget that,

-Technicalities
Here is the high point of this phone, extremely technical
Great instrumental separation, it is noticeable that there is a great amount of air between the instruments, great ability to reproduce the smallest details of the music, it is really impressive. The separation of the instruments on the stage is very good, the orchestra sounds very big and complete, if the stage was further away it would be perfect. We can clearly hear from the breath of a panting musician to the soft strumming of a clarinet (on recordings that provide this richness of detail, of course)

Before talking about the tone, I wanted to point out that I bought them with my money, and I wanted to point out that I still need another 4 months to pay them, because in Brazil a phone like that costs a lot, but very expensive, so all that you're reading, it's my sincere and humble opinions and perceptions, that being said, let's go

-Bass
Yes friend, B A S S.
Let me explain, when I listen to Beethoven's 9th symphony, they sound well behaved in quantity, and with an incredible quality, a lot of texture, a lot of presence, they sound concise and consistent without standing out, they sound very well behaved and correct, the snoring of a acoustic bass or the expressiveness of a cello or a tuba are very pleasant to hear.
Now, when I listen to Truant, from Burial, s12 turns into a monster. Very, very, VERY sub-bass, the s12 has a tremendous extension and a very strong impact, it's really impressive, the headphone hides those bass until you call them with a song that has a lot of sub, they come with a lot of authority and impact, me made me very happy

-Mid range
As Leonardo, from Mind the Headphone (a very dear and respected evaluator in Brazil, one of the first to openly disseminate the hobby here in Brazil and creator of Kuba) would say, the medium is the soul of music and s12 manages to present it. them in a way that you are very satisfied. I'm going to consider trombones and trumpets as medium, even though they have a little high midrange, I'm going to consider them as medium. The mids have a lot of texture, the details live here, very articulate, very faithful, a horn sounds like a horn, all the sweetness, all the burning of a muted trumpet, I like to quote Tchaikovsky's Manfred Symphony, at the end of 1 In the th movement, the vitality and strength of the brass at the moment of the "march" is remarkable, the s12 shows you all the strength and weight of the brass, leaving them a step ahead of the rest of the orchestra, as said before. The voices sound very realistic, in Beethoven's 9th Symphony, in the 5th movement, at the entrance of the voices, I felt that the singer was on my right singing right there, close by, that was impressive, I can describe how

-Treble
Really enjoyed. A Piccolo flute sounds like a Piccolo flute, sometimes it bothers a little hehe, but in real life it bothers too, it's not exacerbated in aggression, it's in the right spot. Still quoting Manfred Sinfonie, in the 1st movement, in the "march" there are some cymbals that sound very aggressive hehe, but it's part of the music, in real life they also sound aggressive, they're there to make things "tastier" , let's say. As I said before, the amount of air between the sounds is remarkable, at first I noticed that and the timbres are very correct, I loved the treble

-Final considerations
The s12 is the best iem I've ever heard, certainly, but it's not perfect. I would give it 8/10 considering the compact soundstage and lack of musicianship (for my taste) sometimes it sounds drier and harsher than what I'm looking for at the moment, but when I want definitions and speed, it puts on a show. I liked it a lot, it's certainly a sincere recommendation to those who like electronics, the duality in the bass is incredible, sometimes very correct and sometimes monstrous when required. I blindly recommend it for lovers of classical music, it's a beautiful purchase, everything is very lively, strong, impactful and real, very real.

That's it, my friends, I would like to give a big hug to the Brazilian community that takes this hobby in their hearts, above all the love of music, given that prices in Brazil are exorbitant, when I say that I paid half of the minimum wage on a headset, I'm called crazy (yes, the s12 cost me around R$650 or USD125, and the minimum wage is R$1100).

*Extra*
I would like to give a hug to Thiago from Manual de Fones, to Fabrício from CutBox BR, to Antenor from MusiCafe and to all the headphone evaluators that make up the audiophile community in Brazil. A hug to everyone
aptquark
aptquark
Great job Gabriel. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. After I realized some of the other guys also reviewed this IEM...along with your review...I went ahead and ordered to try out. Thanks for your time and also a thanks to all the guys that do this here. You SOB's keep me poor thats for sure! Cheers.
G
Gabriel Lira
Thanks for your comment, I'm glad to hear that I can help you.

antdroid

Headphoneus Supremus
Pros: Great value
Good fun tuning
Punch bass and good resolution for price
Cons: Slightly bright upper mids
Cable is a little heavy

The S12 is LetShuoer's new and first planar in-ear monitor and comes in at $149 USD. This IEM packs a large 14.8mm planar magnetic driver encased in a all-metal shell and comes with a fancy multi-colored braided cable and a tin case. It's quite a decent package all together and it has a nice resolving and clean sound that should please many.

First off, I'd like to thank Joseph from LetShuoer for reaching out and sending me a review unit of this new product. As some may know from reading my past reviews, I'm not always the biggest fan of Shuoer's previous products, in fact many of them rank in quite the lowest tiers of my ranking list, but the recent EJ07M and this product is starting to change my opinion of this brand with a new name.

So let's just get down to business.

The S12 is a really nice sounding planar. A couple months ago, I reviewed the Timeless planar IEM from 7Hz, and gave the $219 IEM a rave review with some of the best commentary feedback I could give at the price point. Driver-wise, these two are similar in size but the S12 goes a step larger and increases the driver from 14.2mm to 14.8mm. Now, I don't know if these are similar drivers at all, or made in the same factory, but the driver plus tuning combination between the two IEMs are quite similar and very enjoyable.

Unfortunately during this review period of the S12, I did not have the Timeless on hand. I had lent it out to another reviewer, ufospl2 of Headphones-N-Stuff, for an extended listen on holiday, and so he's out there, somewhere, enjoying that set. Instead, I'll just have to manage this written review without that crucial A-B comparison, at least in the near term.

The S12 presents a small bass-boosted take on a balanced/neutral sound, that is right up my alley on tuning preferences. The mid-range is just slightly recessed with forward upper-mids and a generally smooth treble for me, however, some could find a slightly excess energy peak in the treble range, depending on how deep of a fit you can manage. There is also a nicely extended treble which helps with percussions and strings.

Many of the same characteristics I wrote about in the Timeless review can probably be brought over to here, but one of the key differences (from memory of course) is that I find the S12 just a little smoother, a little warmer, and with an extra amount of sub-bass rumble. These are things that I do not really think I mentioned in my Timeless review, but I can write here.

I never found the S12 to have the occasional bright glare on random tracks either, and I played this through a gauntlet of acoustical tracks from country to bluegrass to folksy music to female pop songs. The S12 handled them all quite well and with a good amount of "fun" for my tastes.

The tonal balance of the S12 is really solid in my opinion, however it doesn't have the fastest planar-like transient speeds. It's not quite the same speed and precision as my Hifiman Susvara, and is more along the lines of the Hifiman HE400SE, which is actually a very similarly priced $149 headphone. That is, while there is a decent amount of quality and resolution for this price tag, I don't think the precision is there. There isn't that extra layer of detail or exacting edge to each note that makes a higher tier driver or IEM stand out. It's not necessarily blunted, or blobby, either. It's just good, but not great or exceptional.

In addition, I find the S12 to have a relatively small and condensed sound. It's not grand and majestic, but provides a more intimate soundstage and more up and center presentation. While I don't mind this and it's never claustrophobic, I do like a wide and open soundstage personally, and this does not quite hit that mark.

But, all and all, I find these little things to be rather small in negative points when you take a look at what you're getting for $149. This is a very nicely put together package of build quality, accessories, and great tuning and above average sound. LetShuoer did a very nice job here, and they hit it home with great values in the last two IEMs I've tried. Things are changing for the better with this brand!
DJ Core
DJ Core
Love these. Perfect Tips to make 'em shine are the azla sednaearfit xelastec in ML size

Otto Motor

Better than Ezra...and the 7Hz Timeless
Pros: Articulate bass and very good treble extension, great cohesion, superb resolution (!!!); very good build and fit; great cable; value.
Cons: Lean and somewhat bright in the vocals department; top-end transients a bit fast.
letshuoer-S12-800x445.jpg

I don't want to further congest this page with repetitive packaging and physicals and focus on sound.
You find the whole story at https://www.audioreviews.org/letshuoer-s12-review-jk/

Equipment used: Questyle QP1Ron med. gain, Sony NW-A55; MacBook Air with Apogee Groove, AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt, Khadas Tone2 Pro/4.4 mm BAL & 3.5 mm SE or Earstudio HUD 100/high gain + JitterBug FMJ + ifi Audio iPower X; stock cable or CEMA 6N OCC + OCC silver-plated 2.5 mm balance cable with or without the ddHiFi DJ44A adapter; stock eartips (translucent ones).

The LETSHUOER S12 carries most of the characteristics expected from a planar magnetic driver: low distortion resoling in good clarity, tight bass, deep bass extension, easy to drive, good staging…but, but but…

The S12’s bass is tight while digging deep. Midbass is well composed and focused, notes are not as rounded and soft (as in the Timeless), there is a crisp attack…and that’s the biggest different to the Timeless. A smaller but better focused kick.

This may have a few reasons, for example, the different housing shapes and the Timeless’ bigger contact area inside the concha (“bigger in-ear resonance”) and also the S12’s relatively higher frequency response above 2 kHz (which itself may be related to the housings).

LETSHUOER S12
The LETSHUOER S12’s rather wiggly frequency response is typical for planar magnetic drivers.

The S12’s better mid-bass composure may trigger a chain effect in that the midrange is not masked and therefore clearer. Its transition from bass to lower midrange is much smoother compared the abrupt change in the Timeless…which results in a much more cohesive, balanced sound…which is the dealmaker/breaker for me.

Female voice remain articulate and lean, but are more forward and intimate, and a tad brighter, livelier, and spicier than in the Timeless. Vocals have a perceived higher energy in the S12, which plays them softer and therefore with lesser note definition. They are more prone to sibilance and shoutiness with unfavourable sources in the S12, but this has not been a problem for me.

Treble is also a mixed bad with the S12. Whilst extension and resolution are great, the transients are a bit fast up there and occasionally also yield that metallic sheen (“tizziness”) as in the Timeless.

As to technicalities. Staging is rather average, but tall, and reasonably deep (much deeper than in the Timeless). I find the staging adequate. Timbre is ok but benefits from a warm source such as the DragonFly Cobalt or Apogee Groove. Separation and instrument placement are ok. Resolution is absolutely superb and dwarves the Timeless’.

The Timeless, overall, sound a bit darker and less dynamic, more laid back but less composed than the more forward S12, which runs more into danger of being shouty. S12’s attack is crisper, Timeless have the softer transients. Note weight in the midrange is about even and could be better in both models.

When compared to a photo, the Timeless is more blurred and the S12 is sharper…but some may find the S12 overpixelated.

LETSHUOER S12 and 7Hz Timeless

In summary, the S12 has the better composed bass, crisper attack, deeper stage, and better resolution than the Timeless. Everything is tighter in the S2. Compared to a car’s suspension, the Timeless is a comfortable SUV and the S12 is a sporty BMW.

In the end, it comes down to personal taste: pick your poison!

More comparisons...

We are in for some surprises. The S12 killed my beloved Final E5000 with my Questyle QP1R reference dap in these aspects: staging, transparency, really good transients, and upper extension. I hope I just had a bad morning when testing these two. The Final has a narrower stage lesser upper extension, less clarity…but more bass quantity.

The KBEAR TRI I3 Pro Pro is less cohesive than the S12 with a narrower stage, lesser resolution, and less midrange clarity. The I3 Pro is less balanced. Resolution is much better in the S12, which also has the crisper attack with more pizazz.

The Moondrop KATO offers a narrower stage because of early treble rolloff. It is slimmer in the bass and the upper midrange but still comes across as not less shouty. It also lacks richness in the lower midrange, a full orchestra’s crescendo comes across as somewhat lean in comparison. The S12 excels in resolution. It is much more bass dominated without overbearing midbass. Higher notes in horn sections as not as incisive as in the Kato, which is a bit scratchy in the upper mids in comparison.

The $600 LETSHUOER EJ07M shows better carved out vocals, is less bassy, has a narrower and deeper soundstage, better dynamics, and better resolution. Its presentation is lean(er) but never on the analytical side.

Disclaimer

The LETSHUOER S12 was sent to me unsolicited by the company. The 7Hz Timeless wass on private loan from Head-Fier Rockwell75. A huge thanks to both. At the time of publication, this S12 specimen was on a “West of Centre” Canadian tour to Rockwell75 and co-blogger Biodegraded.

Get the Shuoer S12 from letsshuoer.net
logiatype
logiatype
This review is SPOT ON re the Timeless vs the S12. Tighter is the exact word that came to mind as soon as I popped the S12 in. So much so that I knew I'd read this exact statement somewhere and had to come back to confirm it.

I know to trust your ears going forward.
Otto Motor
Pradeep A
Pradeep A
Do the sony nw a 55 drive these well ?

SammyG

New Head-Fier
Bridging the gap between budget and flagship
Pros: Detail Retrieval, balanced sound, value
Cons: Comfort is about average, accessories are acceptable, isolation is below average
Sound: This is the first exposure I have had to planar IEMs, and I am pretty blown away. They seem to have the punch of single DD, the speed of BA, and the treble extension of ESTs. But, unlike many tribreds, this earphone has no coherency issues as all sound is being produced by a single driver. The sound signature is largely neutral, with a tasteful amount of bass boost and a bit of extra energy in the lower treble. The result is a very pleasant sound that has a lively characteristic to it. The sound stage is wide but not very deep. The imaging is above average but not pin-point accurate. Detail retrieval is about on par with the Moondrop S8 to my ears, but not quite as clear as the MEST. Lastly isolation is below average for an IEM. With 2 vents per side, they almost give an open back headphone feel.

Fit/Comfort: The all metal shells feel cool to the touch. The ergonomics are good but not great. After about a half hour of listening, I tend to get some discomfort in my upper antihelix. Also the ear hooks are a little loose, and from time to time flop over the top of my ear.

Accessories: The accessories aren't going to win any awards. You get 2 sets of silicone ear tips, 1 set of foam tips, a cheap feeling case, and a 2 pin cable. Besides the ear hook issue I mentioned earlier, I don't have any complaints for the cable. It has a nice 2-tone look and a rubber-like coating.

Conclusion: Is this a perfect earphone? No, there are certainly areas where it could be improved (especially concerning fit). But I don't find any of my nitpicks as deal breakers. And the sound punches well above its price. I know that is cliché to say, but it's tuning and technical capabilities best match units I've tried in the $500-$800 range. So in this case, it truly does.

Headphoneus Supremus
The Planar that brought it beyond a closed-in proof of concept.
Pros: .
Tonality--Keeping a good balance of organic presence without being too polite where it's too fatigueless.

Dynamics--Notes will stand out that will not be compressed into the mix.
Very special how it panes the stereo image from left to right. It surrounds you really really well, but not in depth/layering.

Beautiful package & cable (but the cable sheathing is kind of icky "plasticky" to the touch).
Cons: .
-Last Octave treble sizzle for those that are sensitive. (Starting somewhere 5kHz & beyond. Sounds like a distracting forward pink noise/white noise kind of way)

-Lack of tactile feeling. (Not necessarily a con, could arguably be in balance; as it's not an extreme V tonality. Is better with certain silicone "reverby" tips). Snare/Tom drums missing a dry hit & overtones.
Purchased by my own money. Bought directly from LetShuoer's website LetShuoer.net. So no conflict of interest.

While I said no conflict of interest, I am a fan of their previous work of the EJ07. So I am a fan of the brand. I pre-ordered this iem quickly when it went up.

Bass:
Bass is both high shelved but lacks a sense of a wet rounded bass hit. I feel planar drivers, like BAs, will always be sensitive to some level of seal leak and need some kind of extra bass in compensation for it.
The bass rounded note hit tactility is quite polite. Might need to use foam tips for an extra seal.
EDIT: Using reverb-inducing ultra-thin silicone tips help make this iem's bass hit better and more tactile....Spinfit tips, specifically cp1025 models. Oh wait, I'm silly, the supplied soft black tips with the collapsible core achieve this too, but the soft black tips push the sizzle of the iem, into the sibilance region, so still a new problem.

Also I noticed bass behavior seems reflective of the source & filters. My warmer Qudelix gives a nicer bass, my ibasso dap when I use the filter behind Nuetron-player's DoP dsd128 mode also makes the bass much better on the Shuoer S12.

Moving on. Bass snap for Tom drums exhibit nice detail, that whipping sound tied with what I am guessing is in the 6kHz region for snap.

Mids:
Vocals are effortless and not forward sounding (nor lost in the mix). Really good positioning. Very organic/"right" feeling if that makes any sense.

The vocals are not the sweetest I heard. Among the cheaper iems, the Moondrop Aria still has better vocals (if only for the sake of just listening to sweet vocals).

The S12 vocals are specifically nice for their positioning in the stage.

Instruments initial attacks have good dynamic presence & are not getting masked. But like the bass before, there is a limit to how tactile things feel (including for the harmonics and overtones).

Nothing in the presentation feels overly forward feeling. Nor do things feel compressed like with iems with little contrast in their tonality's upper-mids region.

Treble:
Sizzle. Might need a peak removed for my ears, either that 8kHz peak or more likely the 15kHz one for the sizzle.

Coming back to my repeating about tactile feeling and metallic sense. The IEM's tonality probably has less gain in the 3kHz-6kHz lower treble regions. This iem doesn't have a lot of those metallic details.

Discussion:
As for the positives. There is something interesting of how it stereo pans left & right. It has a good gimmick of how it pans things into existence into the stage field. Similar gimmick to Final Audio stuff. Exceptional dynamics in that sense.

I mentioned about the bass, not tactile feeling somehow. And this iem might need more lower treble/upper mids before the 6kHz. I guess I am too used to V signatures iems lately?

This iem does not lack presence in those regions, just I feel that I would personally want more for myself. Where is becomes problem about those regions are how they contrast too much with what comes after; letting the last octave treble sizzle stand out.

Funny take, I late tried this iem with my Qudelix 5k Bluetooth transceiver. And streaming off YouTube. The Qudelix being a warm & dark-ish source & YouTube 15kHz cut-off makes the iem sizzle-less. Haha

Sounds great like this. (Earlier I was using my Ibasso DX300MAX SS dap.) Even the bass is better rounded, not sure if that is the Qudelix 5k is extra warm? Or when this Planar driver doesn't have to playback an airy sizzle then it behaves better powered in the bass?

Disclaimer: The extra tactile feeling in the presence region that I want, might be cursed for other people, and the S12 as is, could be defined as the more normal approach. So I am not saying this as a critique but lets put it as a subjective take.

My EQ addresses my subjective concerns.

Especially the piercing-sizzle late treble.
Screenshot_20220126-230905.png
Pregain set at -6db.

The bass shelf doesn't actually reach +12 in the presentable range, but if you are worried, then set the pregain at -12db and move the frequency of the low-shelf up until 60Hz if you want more bass.

Other than the extra sizzle, do take notice that last octave sizzle I mentioned in the cons (more a concern for younger people?). That nocks a little of the grade for me.

And my subjective preferences critiques nocks it down again, but it may not be relevant for other people's takes. You can ignore if it is what you like.

Put Spinfits truly wireless tips (cp1025) for a different tip on the S12.

This seems to have worked out better. No idea if the TWS cp1025 are as upper-mids/lower-treble transparent as the other models.

More importantly:
Thin silicone tips like Spinfits CP1025, tips that do the bass reverb thing (Unlike foam tips), seem to give back a small step of bass tactility to the S12. Also a warm source.

Miscellaneous:
When taken out of the shipping parcel, it was wrapped in this cool branded bubble wrap!
20220112_075456.jpg

Unboxed 1st view:
20220112_081712.jpg

Fully disassembled:
20220112_082214.jpg

Cable has a thick plastic sheathing that reminds me of the old Hibiscus iem cable. Other than the thick plastic sticky feeling, it behaves really well coiling.
20220112_083351.jpg

2-pin cable. Red for Right. There is no extra dot to help with insertion orientation, but there is the ear-guiding ear hook wrapping that will give you the orientation via the only way to put them/wear them.
20220112_083320.jpg

Supplied tips are nice and give a fit & seal. Especially the clear ones with the solid core.
Other two is some good dekoni style foam tips.
And a soft black silicone tip.
20220112_082330.jpg

The black ones have a more softer core you can collapse easily squeezing. Not sure what their specialty is for. It's all one piece the core & the outside.
20220112_082515_01.jpg

The iem:
20220112_083016.jpg

The tuning air ports: One by the 2-pin connectors. You can see the careful holed-filter with control of how much air may pass the port.
Also note the notched nozzle lip for eartips to grab onto.
20220112_082739.jpg

Another that faces inwards by the nozzle, that sits against your concha when donned. Will this get blocked?
20220112_082959.jpg

The nozzle: With a filter plate:
20220112_082757.jpg

How the iem looks worn:
20220112_084327.jpg

20220112_083224.jpg

Packaged with its cable color scheme, it's quite fashionable if you ask me.
20220112_135719.jpg

220.7 KB · Views: 0
    20220112_085616.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
carliber1
Thanks for sharing that with me.
I already knew that the dots must be oriented equally.
But what baffled me, and forced me to rely on listening through trials,
was whether to the backside Or frontside of the IEM together
-it makes a difference with my KZ AS10 and KZ ZS6, one way sounds balanced while the other way has more low-end and is slightly less detailed.
Infoseeker
It's possible they soldered one side of that cable wrong. Making the dot useless, cause one side pins are reversed.
carliber1
Okay, I will give other known good cables a go at it and see what gives. Again, thank you.