Knowledge Zenith DQ6

General Information

- KZ DQ6 New-level HIFI professional headset technology benchmark,array type three-unit dynamic earphone,excellent overall performance, presenting high-fidelity music, allowing you to hear more details of good sound.

- 10mm dual magnetic dynamic unit + two 6mm single magnetic dynamic units, Brand-new structure, powerful analytical power, clear vocals, distinct musical instruments, and rich musical details can be displayed.

- The 10MM dual magnetic dynamic, once again used as the basis of low-mid and low-frequency sound, has deep bass and strong elasticity, which greatly improves the sensitivity and enhances the low-frequency texture again.

- Array type dynamic high frequency combination can greatly optimize the problem of insufficient high frequency of single dynamic, and can increase the range of sound field, and the sense of hearing is closer to stage sound.

- Zinc alloy face cover + fully transparent ear shells are selected, the internal structure is clearly visible, and the beauty of science and technology is clearly displayed. The visible details are attentive.

Latest reviews

Previously known as sub30
Triple DD Gang
Pros: Excellent Bass quality
Natural tonality
Earbud-like Soundstage Width
Excellent fit (for my ears)
Abundant set of tips
Sleek and good-looking shell
Decent stock cable
Competitive pricing
Cons: Included tips not usable for me
Narrow nozzle width (may cause issues with aftermarket tips)
Peaky treble (TIP ROLL!)
Instances of sibilance
Disclaimer:

I would like to thank KZ Official Store for providing a review unit of the DQ6. Check out their store on Lazada (Shop at KZ Official Store | lazada.com.ph). Rest assured that my impressions written in this review are my own personal thoughts and opinions and in no way influenced by outside parties.

I am not an expert in this hobby nor claim to be an audiophile. I just love listening to music and am fond of writing articles.

Introduction:

Knowledge Zenith – the man, the myth, the legend. Arguably one of the most important figures of the Chi-Fi world, at least one of the companies that brought it to its glorious state in present times. Straying from their usual offerings, but still sharing similarities with their other products, they release the KZ DQ6 – a 3-DD IEM that uses “XUN” drivers, all for under 20 USD, with a choice of either silver or black. This driver configuration is something that is rarely seen on budget offerings, often times only available for “mid-fi” and up. With a sensitivity of 112 dB and an impedance of 24 ohms, these will be fine with a phone. They have been critiqued by the community for their previous participation/s in the “driver nuclear race” and will the DQ6 just be another brick on the wall, or will it become the mythical KZ that made people love them in the past?

These were plugged to my iPhone 5s for the review.

157338519_759258881661625_277820730511269948_n.jpg

Build and Comfort: Resin body with a metal faceplate in a matte finish. Quite an attractive shell if you ask me. It has a protrusion that allows for better hold but I can see this being an issue with other people. One concern I have is that the resin part is two-piece. Only time will tell how well it’ll hold up. The cable it comes with is the standard KZ biz – SPC cable, 3.5 jack and ends with a 0.75mm QDC connection. Usable, but it does tangle.

158348319_3664065920369809_2313637915288054225_n.jpg

Now, onto sound:

For this review, the IEM was left in stock mode, without mods other than using the MH750 tips (fits nozzle perfectly) as the DQ6 stock tips don’t work for me.

----------

Bass –
I LOVE IT. This is now my preferred “basshead” IEM, quality-wise. It isn’t bloated at all/doesn’t bleed, and leans more toward a sub-bass rather than mid-bass emphasis. Partnered with the excellent control, tightness and texture, even if quite elevated (still a V), it avoids drowning the midrange and treble. I rarely use this phrase, but I can say that the DQ6 plays in the same field as IEMs 6x more expensive.

Midrange – slightly recessed than what I would’ve liked (I prefer forward vocals) but it is still distinct, clear and doesn’t get lost in the mix. Not thick/warm sounding but may be slightly thin for some (particularly in male vocals). Personally speaking? quite natural, I would say. I like how they didn’t emphasize the upper midrange too much which tends to make IEMs aggressive/rough/grainy-sounding. I prefer this laid-back presentation of the vocals the DQ6 offers. Together with the excellent bass quality, the DQ6 gives a pleasant midrange that allows you to listen to music for hours on end. It’s a nice change from my previous IEMs which were more forward in the upper midrange. There are instances of sibilance to note on badly-recorded tracks.

Treble – It has peaks that can get you from time-to-time and has enough quantity to not become dark-sounding. One thing that stands out is the control and airyness of the treble region, not expeected in this ultra-budget range.

----------
Timbre –
quite natural. No metallic timbre, whatsoever. KZ really did a great job with implementing the 3-DD setup (coherent-sounding also as I didn’t notice any difference from my single-DD IEMs).

Soundstage – closest to earbuds, width-wise that I’ve heard. I would’ve wanted more depth and better layering because it barely has enough to give a 3-D presentation.

Imaging – does its job. Won’t blow your mind but it’s decent.

Separation – sufficient. You’ll survive with any genre, IMO.

Detail-retrieval – surprising. I didn’t expect it to render detail due to the rather laid-back tuning (read: smooth-ish). Don’t get me wrong, it’s not distinct/defined, but it is nice to hear detail sometimes showing when listening to music.

157990763_440294900574475_8252756338323397252_n.jpg

Conclusion:

The DQ6 is a wonderful experience coming from the EDX. I was betting on these to save me from avoiding KZ products, and it did so with flying colors. It’s just more natural across the whole spectrum, with a better-looking and more upscale design and excellent fit for my ears. Granted, it’s 2-3 times the price of the EDX but I can say that the DQ6’s performance justifies that. If you want a tuning that you can relax to and one that offers quality bass, natural midrange, and airy treble, then this one’s for you. If KZ refines the tuning of the midrange and treble, utilize a better-fitting nozzle and more premium shell, then we might have ourselves a serious contender as the "best value IEM."

****If you have other questions/concerns with the IEM mentioned, feel free to message me****​
cappuchino
Have you mistaken my review for someone else's 😅?

For this review, I left the DQ6 in stock mode other than an eartip change. But, currently, I have added a T100-size tube (from foam tip) on the nozzle as some sort of makeshift adaptor for aftermarket tips. An O-ring should work as well.
RikHouben
RikHouben
You mention you did no mods for this review.
So I guessed you did do some mods on a different set of the DQ6 but did not take that into account for this review.

Aha, so no physical alterations to the IEM housing or anything like that?
I couldn't get a seal with the stock tips, so I tried Spinfit CP240, CP100, InAirs Air2 foam tips and eventually ended up with some cheap Xcessor cilicone tips. They have a quite sturdy tube with a 3.5mm bore and are longer than the stock tips. This balances out the tuning quite good. The bass is amazing. Plenty, but also quite punchy with good deep rumble too and balanced with a good transition into the lower mids.
cappuchino
Yeah, no physical mods 😅 Currently don't have the courage for that...

Though, if I remember correctly, someone *has* replaced the stock nozzle with a different one. Another one also disconnected the two micro-DDs and graphed the results but can't remember who. I think the DQ6 can come apart easily with some heat (hair dryer or something) to loosen up the adhesive.

I currently have on the stock tips that came with the IE400 Pro (with DIY nozzle adapter). They have a regular density damping filter which do tame a bit the harshness from the upper frequencies. For what it's worth, I'd place the value of the DQ6 with those tips at 60 USD 🤷🏻‍♂️ Also have switched to KZ Au, Ag, Cu upgrade cable but will not comment on sonic changes 😝

DallaPo

New Head-Fier
Tonality is not everything
Pros: good tonality
robust
Cons: slow bass
average separation and imaging
Rating: 7.5
Sound: 7.3

Intro​

After the two ("expensive") full-BA models (ASF & ASX) that were clearly behind expectations, KZ is getting back to the price segment and market they have always been able to dominate and hold their own in in an impressive way. Even if their model policy and especially its variance is questionable, they always manage to bring good budget IEMs to the market and satisfy the average music consumer with a strong price-performance ratio.

The DQ6 is now supposed to strike in the same notch as well. What is certainly special here is the return to the company's origins through the exclusive use of dynamic drivers (3). This lets us hope for good tonality and, in the best case, better technical characteristics than with the EDX. Let's see

Handling​

The KZ DQ6 has quite good ergonomics and seems very robust. However, I don't like the modular cabinet design, which consists of at least 3 parts including the sound outlet, as this results in more gaps than with 2-piece units (body and faceplate). This system was already used in the ASX du ASF, which are much wider and clunkier than the DQ6. This one is comfortable to wear and the isolation is also very good. I also like to use the supplied transparent silicone tips for other IEMs, since they fit me (at least the medium size) excellent and seal properly.

About the accessories is KZ-typically few words to lose. Except for the silicone tips which I see as an enrichment of my collection, we still get an average cable that serves its purpose.

Sound​

You can hear immediately that the DQ6 does not have a BA driver under the hood, because it does not have the metallic basic timbre of many KZ/CCA models, which I find on the one hand as a positive, but I still lose something technically. Not quite as drastically as the EDX, which admittedly belongs together with the DQ6 to the tonally better KZ-IEMs, but technically just does not act on a particularly good level. This destroys a lot, because a good tonality alone is not enough, even if it already makes a lot of difference. The DQ6 sounds a bit like a good UE boombox, where it's more about punchy bass, with recessed mids and from time to time a bit unpleasant in the highs, especially when you turn it up.

The bass is of the punchy variety but unfortunately not the fastest, which then becomes quite noticeable. That makes it not particularly precise and somewhat opaque, since I can't follow bass notes exactly, but rather get a bass ground mass in front of me. Still, I find it a fun alternation for bass-hungry tracks. I also like the physicality, which I appreciate in a good V-signature. Lots of steam behind it, but sometimes a bit out of control, unfortunately.

The mids are a bit more of a problem for me, they are not bad tonally at all, but lack transparency and detail. They are set back a good amount, which makes voices slightly fade into the background. In addition, they sound a bit dull and warmed up by the bass. As with the EDX, I have a bit of a feeling of consuming a jumble of music rather than making out a clear delineation of instruments.

The treble doesn't have the basic metallic timbre of many KZ models and sounds much more natural and not artificially boosted, but sibilants still annoy me from time to time and I would wish for more brilliance. The trebles did a solid job, but didn't stand out in a positive or negative way. Although, it does stick out to a moderate extent, which can diminish the audibility.

Technically, the DQ6 is not a total failure, but here it falls a bit short and one longs for the KZ-BAs, which do not always sound completely accurate, but can contribute openness and transparency. As well as more detail, a wider stage or a more differentiated imaging (of course there are negative exceptions - ASF/ASX) . You shouldn't expect more than good average from the DQ6.

Outro​

The DQ6 does what it is supposed to do: Deliver music to our ears. It does this with solid tonality, but completely lacks technical features that make the music interesting and lively. The comparison of a good Bluetooth speaker with emphasized bass reproduction is not that wrong. The bottom line is that the DQ6 is an average IEM with a good level of comfort, but it does not play above its price range and is certainly not made for detail fanatics and music virtuosos. Therefore, it clearly lacks speed and precision. In the gym, or as background sound, but quite suitable.

KZ DQ6.jpg
___________________________________________________________
More reviews: CHI-FIEAR
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CHIFIEAR/
Reactions: Vasarely
Alpha Whale
Upon reading your review I find that your description fits what I heard before tip rolling. I pulled the silicone eartips from my $20 Panasonic IEMs and installed them on the DQ6.

Absolute transformation, IMO.

Exceptionally clean bass, absolute clarity in the midrange and a very comfortable treble presentation. The 6khz to 7khz peak, borders on being peakish but it never oversteps. It actually contributes to the DQ6's vivid presentation.

I highly recommend tip rolling with the DQ6. The presentation changes considerably once the bass is cleaned up.

Any additional feedback would be greatly appreciated if my suggestion holds any interest for you.

Thanks for the review.

Headphoneus Supremus
KZ DQ6: Back On Top
Pros: Price - Design and comfort - Coherent, well-tuned signature
Cons: 7k rise might bother some - New tips aren't as good as Starlines - Still no included carrying case or chin cinch on the cable
Greetings!

Today we're going to drool over the DQ6, one of KZ's most recent and most interesting (imo) releases in a while.

IMG_0146.JPG

The DQ6 is a triple dynamic earphone with one 10mm and two 6mm drivers working in tandem thanks to a tiny crossover. The clear acrylic inner body is composed of two parts neatly glued together with a lovely zinc-alloy faceplate rounding things out. Along with KZ's snazzy new(ish) logo brandishing the face plate is a slender 4mm long vent. It's not just for show either since you can see clear through it and into the shell. Also 4mm is the width of the gold coloured nozzles, widening to 5mm at the lip which does a great job of holding tips in place. Ergonomics and isolation are both strong points of this shell which does a good job of keeping outside noise from bleeding in and remains secure and stable even under the most intense head movements.

The cable is another strong point in my opinion. As with a number of new releases from the brand like the ZST X, ZAX, and ZSN Pro X, to name a few, they've included with the DQ6 the thicker, more plush and premium feeling silver plated cable that makes their old cables feel out of date. Unfortunately the old-school VSonic inspired hardware remains. While it looks cool, especially in white, strain relief is poor and the blocky design tends to catch on things. Plus, they still aren't including a chin cinch.

IMG_0117.JPGIMG_0136.JPGIMG_0142.JPG

In addition to the earphones and cable, the DQ6 comes with new tips. Gone are the now legendary 'Starline' tips, replaced with the same single flange set I first saw on the S2 true wireless model. While I do like these tips, I find the silicone is a bit too soft and thin and as a result getting a reliable seal wasn't a sure thing like it was with the Starlines. Know what would be cool? If KZ included both types of tips with future releases. Hint hint, KZ :wink:

Moving past the visual and physical stuff, how does the DQ6 sound? Really quite good. Certainly better than I was expecting. I've tried a couple other triple dynamics in the past. The Geek Wold GK3 was the first and while it looked awesome, Geek Wold needed to spend more time cooking up a solid tune. Rolled off treble, weird timbre, hollow mids, and a tiny sound stage were some of the offending qualities. This was followed up with the unexpectedly great bboooll BOT1. The DZAT inspired design looked nice and was backed by lush, full mids, polite treble, and fairly punchy, well-controlled bass. It could have used more micro detail though, and the fixed cables were a deal breaker for some.

KZ DQ6.jpgDQ6 vs. DK3001Pro.jpg

The DQ6 has a light v-shaped signature with impressive coherence between the three drivers within, particularly because this thing is so inexpensive. Treble extends well into the lower brilliance region, sloping off comfortably. This gives the DQ6 a reasonably airy feel with the roll off keeping it from becoming too harsh or irritating. That said, the mild bump at 7k could stand to be toned down a bit since I'm sure it'll probably bother treble sensitive listeners. While the dynamic drivers used fall behind KZ's armatures in terms of speed and overall clarity, they sound more natural and notes are presented with better control and tightness. I missed this presentation in a KZ.

The midrange is only slightly recessed with a lift in the upper mids giving them the presence needed to avoid being drowned out or underplayed by the other frequencies. Both male and female vocals are well represented with neither really having much of an advantage. If I were to side with one or the other, I'd give male vocals the nod since the DQ6's mids aren't overly thick or warm, qualities that to my ears are more beneficial to female vocalists. Clarity is excellent with good detail overall. Micro detail is a little smoother than those earphones that lean towards a more neutral, analytic presentation, and that's fine. Timbre is quite natural with just a hint of brightness to throw it off, similar in vein to the KB EAR Diamond.

IMG_0151.JPGIMG_0154.JPGIMGP5629.JPG

Heading into the low end the DQ6 sounds more mature than a lot of other models in their lineup. Calling one out, the much more expensive ZAX could take a lesson from the DQ6 on punch and tightness because the low end here is just that; tight and punchy. The presentation is fairly linear too with a slight skew towards sub-bass and restrained mid-bass. The DQ6 doesn't issue a head-rattling rumble like the Dunu DM-480 and instead presents itself more like Moondrop's Starfield. You feel the deepest notes, but they don't take over. The reserved mid-bass region keeps the DQ6 from sounding bloated and adds just the right amount of warmth for my tastes. Notes hit hard and are well-controlled, backed by good texturing. I'd like a bit more grunge and crunch on the dirty notes from Tobacco, but as-is the DQ6's presentation is satisfying.

The sound stage on offer from the DQ6 is one of its more average qualities. Vocals fall just short of intimate having a default positioning just inside the outer ear. Sounds spread out cleanly from there with distancing stopping around shoulder width. The occasional effect with feel like it shoots off way further into the distance, but that's not the norm. I had low expectations , but imaging is excellent with channel-to-channel movements being easy to track. Instrument separation and track layering are also quite good. The DQ6 doesn't surround you with music like the Brainwavz B400 or some other multi-driver units, but it comes closer than I was expecting. It certainly outshines any single dynamic or 1+1 hybrid that I can think of within this price range.

P1070032.JPGP1070025.JPG

Overall thoughts? This is one of the better products in this price range and easily one of the best earphones to come out of KZ in a while. Outside of that 7k rise, there is little I can think of to complain about. Tossing price back into the equation and my concerns are even less important. This feels like old-school KZ at their peak, and I love it.

Thanks for reading!

- B9

Disclaimer I purchased the DQ6 from the CCA Official Store shortly after it came up for sale for 35.42 CAD. I did not ask for a discount and they did not ask for a review, nor did I have any intention of writing one. The thoughts here are my subjective opinions and do not represent KZ, the CCA Official Store, or any other entity. If you want to buy a set, and I highly recommend doing so, you can scoop up your DQ6 here: www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001894623959.html

Specifications
  • Frequency Response: 20-40,000Hz
  • Impedance: 24ohms
  • Sensitivity: 112dB
  • Cable: 0.75mm 2-pin silver-plated
  • Drivers: 10mm dynamic + 2x 6mm dynamic
Alpha Whale
with a slight skew towards sub-bass and restrained mid-bass.

👍

edit: LOL, forgot that I read your review and commented already a few weeks ago.
Jet Black
Jet Black
This or blon bl-01?
B9Scrambler

Comments

There are no comments to display.