Klipsch Image S3 Nosie-Isolating Earphones with Patented Oval Ear-Tips

General Information

These noise-isolating in-ear headphones deliver dynamic sound and unequaled comfort for a price that’s easy on the wallet. Producing spectacular highs and lows, the Image S3 brings the best possible sound to the affordable category without compromising the Klipsch audiophile heritage. Unlike circular-shaped ear tips that put stress on the pressure points inside the ear, Klipsch’s patented oval ear tips naturally fit the contours of your ear canals, providing comfortable long-term wear. These lightweight ear tips also offer superior noise isolation, blocking out almost all ambient noise and providing excellent bass. The Image S3 employs a customized 5.8mm moving-coil micro speaker with controlled damping in each piece, allowing the product to deliver smooth, full-bodied sound that’s similar to a more expensive balanced armature design. The S3 headphones feature durable, tangle resistant cables to avoid unwanted tangling. The cable is also molded into the plug for improved strain relief. These headphones have undergone extensive resistance and strength testing to ensure they stack up to virtually every real-world scenario. At the heart of every Klipsch product is over 60 years of audio expertise beating strong. Our commitment to no-compromise performance has made us the preferred choice of top cinema operators, a leader in stereo and home theater sound and now a premium name in headphones.

Latest reviews

Pros: Comfort. Isolation. Solid build. Okay sound.
Cons: Cable noise. Straight plug. Tips may not fit everyone. Sound quality could stand to be better.
I have seen these recommended by many, reviewer and consumer alike. It' has been given praise for being an excellent replacement, and even a step up, from those iBuds and Earpods that are included with every iPod and iPhone. Some have even said that these make a great starting point for anyone interested in better audio. So, do these live up to their reputation?

Well, as always, I will start by listing the listening material used to test this pair of earphones. Please note that these have been burned-in, if you are the sort of person that cares, and believes in such a scenario.

- Radiohead: Ok Computer (ALAC)
- Radiohead: In Rainbows (ALAC)
- Drake: Nothing Was The Same (ALAC)
- Michael Jackson: Dangerous (ALAC)
- Michael Jackson: Thriller (ALAC)
- Gorillaz: Demon Days (mp3)
- Daft Punk: Random Access Memories (ALAC)

Equipment Used:
*Please note that these were not in anyway amped. They were driven straight out of each device. Though, surprisingly, these are pretty hard to drive. I found myself turning up the volume a bit more than normal on every device I tried.

- Dell Inspiron 15
- iPod Nano 6th Gen
- Sony Xperia S

Build Quality and Comfort:
The S3's housing is made entirely out of plastic. Though that may seem worrisome, I wouldn't put too much stock in it. They are built well enough that the predominantly plastic build should give no worries. What will, though, is the “tangle resistant” wire. It has a nice, if somewhat annoying, rubber feel to it. The problem though, is that it's thin, terminates in a straight 3.5mm jack, and causes plenty of cable noise - more than any other IEM I have ever heard in fact. Even little touches and rubs against clothes are audible. Using these outdoors with out a shirt clip, and perhaps (if your so inclined to do so) worn over the ear, is near impossible. On the plus side, these are some of the most comfortable earphones I've ever shoved into my ever so eager ears. Along with those ~patented~ Klipsch eartips, these just disappear into the ear. Even better, is that these can be comfortably worn over the ear, all but eliminating the cable noise issue. Hats off to whoever designed the eartips, as they are simply amazing. All this, however should be taken with a large grain of good 'ole NaCl, as everyones ears are different and thus, the fit and comfort will be too.

Bass: Well, it's there, but not much of it. Unfortunately, it's also a bit one tone – every thump, every strum sounds too much a like. This also depends on the seal. Some have complained that the tips aren't big enough, and thus hear almost no bass. Be sure to watch out for this, though I had no such issues.

Mids: Definitely on the warm sound, voices are pretty good, if a little artificial sounding. I found male singers sounded better than female singers, as the higher pitch singing brought out a wired shrill about it.

Highs: Aaaaaaaand this is where it all goes down. Everything sounds incredibly fake. It's as if it's there, but completely devoid of any life and energy.

Soundstage is as small as you would expect from a $40 budget earphone. Don't expect any miracles and you won't be disappointed.

Accessories:
It comes with a nice zipper case with a compartment to store your choice for tips (3 of Klipch's tips are provided, one of which is a double flange). It should be enough to protect the earphones when travelling, or in a pocket.

Conclusion:
For $40, you can certainly do a lot worse. Though I find that these are a bit over hyped, not being much better than the Earpods, I can recommend them to anyone looking to replace their broken or lost stock earphones that came with their phone or mp3 player. Though, do keep in mind that there are better products in this price range, such as the JVC FX40, that can be had at any electronics retailer.

Thanks for reading :)
Ah, thanks. Don't know how missed some of those lol. Hail Grammar Nation! LOL
About the pistons, those weren't (still aren't?) available in Canada (where I am). I also wanted to see what was so great about these, since I have seen many recommend these. Personally, I would have gone with the JVC's had it not been for my curiosity. Luckily, I have found a use for these, as they have become my "in bed" earphone for movies and anime (their comfort lends well for this application)
Glad you like the play on salt lol.
Thanks again.
KLJTech
KLJTech
Nice review and its sounds like you're hearing pretty much the same as I am when I use these. I still use them a lot as they've become my one of the two IEM's that I use for audiobooks with my Clip Zip+. I never use them for music. Good job.
Thanks KLJ.
Pros: Good look, comfortable noise-isolating
Cons: Poor bass, super high's,
Hi
When i brought these i hoped that they would sound amazing.
But when i tried these i noticed that there was no bass at all.
I'm a bass head.
Now i brought the ferrari by logic3 T150.
They sound super awesome lots of bass
lin0003
lin0003
Lol, ok.
Tom22
Try wearing them over the ear. what i mean is that look the cable behind your ear and pop them in upside down.this allows the earphones to get deep in your ear (where the cable exits the housing doesn't hit your earlobe) and no cable noise (not 0% but reduces it significantly)

heres a link

are you sure you got the right fit? theirs 3 pairs of stock eartips on them. you really have to try them all. i find the small double flange fits me best (now i had the s4i) klipsch house sound doesn't lack bass. i hate to generalize but none of their produces are bass-deficent.

either that are you really are an extreme basshead but try that method and then try all the eartips
Tom22
also when you said super highs its probably because of the poor seal (not the right fit) in your ears. that and the fact you said it has poor bass are the exact indicators of a poor seal
Pros: Excellent bass extension, bang for the buck, accessories, noise isolation
Cons: Build quality, size of ear tips
I have a detailed video review of these earphones, so if you're thinking to purchase a pair, please do watch the video. :)

Comments

There are no comments to display.