Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org
miceblue
miceblue
"I’ve sat at the keyboard of my piano enough to know how wide it is supposed to sound and there, and in recordings of that (whether from my playing or visiting concert-level pianists)"

Have you tried self-recorded binaural recordings before? I always find regular stereo recordings to not render images nearly as accurately; our spaced ears don't hear stereo like most stereo recordings. You may know how far a piano sounds to your ears when you're playing at the piano, but a stereo recording won't necessarily pick up those same timing, and thus imaging, cues.
senorx12562
senorx12562
I don't think there is a better example of the concept of "diminishing returns" than comparison of the Spring and Yggy and their sound quality and that of all the DACs available at 2x to 20x more, or even more (think I saw an MSB for like 130 k or something?). Astonishing. Great review as always. Thanks for your continuing efforts. Cheers mate.
Torq
Torq
@miceblue

Yes, I've done the binaural recording thing, both myself and have a reasonable library of commercial stuff (relative to what there is, anyway).  And I've other recordings that aren't mic'ing the piano with hard left/right configurations.  It does make a big difference.

Regardless, the image presented is wider with one DAC than the other, from the same recording, which puts the delta in the realm of the DAC rather than the source material in this case.