The SR60 has gained "legendary" status. The SR60 has received rave reviews from around the world...

Grado SR60i Headphones

Average User Rating:
  • The SR60 has gained "legendary" status. The SR60 has received rave reviews from around the world and is the most commonly recommended headphone on the market today.PRODUCT FEATURES:Vented diaphragm;Non-resonant air chamber;Standard copper voice coil wire;Standard copper connecting cord;Mini plug with 1/4" adaptor.

Recent User Reviews

1. Amusologist
    "Should be the first premium headphones you buy!"
    Pros - Comfortable for long listening sessions, completely involving, warm and smooth, extraordinarily dynamic and rugged. Very inexpensive!
    Cons - Lacks the resolution and the extension of more expensive headphones.
    I've repeatedly bought these headphones, despite also owning Stax Lambda electrostatics and more expensive Sennheiser and AKG phones. And, in an even more interesting accolade, when I've bought Stax, Sennheiser and AKG headphones it was when I was a partner in Western Audio of Palo Alto, a dealer in all of those brands, so I paid wholesale or accomodation, not retail. I've never been a Grado dealer, so I've purchased the Grado SR60's at retail every time. This particular pair came from the Metropolitan Opera Shop in NYC, purchased after I left my older pair on a plane. I don't know the secrets to Grado's art, but I can attest to several things with a lifetime of listening skills. These Grado headphones are not "harsh" as some other inexperienced listeners here have claimed. They are warm and smooth, very seductive with all kinds of music, you simply find the music begins to carry you away. If you've never treated yourself to anything but earbuds, these are a revolution compared to the Beats by Dr Dre. Less expensive, but a whole new kind of musical experience. Whether you listen to rap, rock or hillbilly folk music, you won't find anything you can wear as long, listen as carefully to, and get away with throwing into your backpack again and again for years. Grado sells replacement pads and other parts, the only thing I've ever replaced is the pads.
  2. zach8278
    "Really good entry level headphones"
    Pros - Comfort, sound, value
    Cons - Non-detachable cable, plastic build, cable is a bit too long for portable use
    The SR60i headphones are the entry level headphones in the 'SR' line-up. They retail for a recommended retail price of $79. So, without any more delays, let's discuss these headphones in further detail.

In terms of accessories, these are pretty scarce. You get the headphones, and a snap-on quarter inch adapter. That's it.

Build/Design - Now, if a regular person looked at these headphones, they would probably say that they are ugly and bulky. Well, in a way, they would be right and also wrong. The headphones are made out of plastic and the headband is made of fake leather (my assumption). Design-wise, these headphones have a retro, old school look to them. A lot of people have said that these headphones were their first pair of 'real' headphones, and that is the case with me as well. The cables are double entry, and are joined by a very weird looking Y-connector. At the end of the plug, we have a standard 3.5mm jack that has a chunky enclosure, so you might run into some interference when plugging these headphones into portable players with cases on them.

Comfort - These headphones rest directly on your ears, and i find them incredibly comfortable. They have a slight amount of clamp so that they are stable on your head, but i find that it does not impact the comfort in any way.

Soundstage - Pretty good. These headphones are open, so soundstage is obviously a strong point. You can hear cymbals and instruments that are coming from around you. I would imagine that the soundstage is bigger and better in the other grado headphones, especially the SR325i headphones. Keep in mind, that just because these have a $79 price point does not mean they are bad. It is just a low price for some amazing headphones.

Bass - It is actually quite punchy. This was surprising to me because i generally think that low cost headphones have a muddy, over the top bass performance, but not so with this pair of headphones. Rock music, which is what these headphones are suppose to sound really good with, is really quite enjoyable. This is really great for me because i listen to a lot of rock and metal music, so these definitely are pleasing to my ears.

Midrange - Vocals sound a tiny bit distant, but it is not drastic. They are still clear and you can hear the singer pretty well. If i made these headphones, i would have made the vocals a bit more prominent, but given that these are a low cost headphone, you can't expect a huge amount of vocal separation.

Treble - Detailed. It is, in my opinion, the strong point of these headphones. Rock music and a bunch of other genres sound lively, and quite energetic. I guess you could say that these headphones are bright sounding.

Conclusion - These are very good entry level headphones. For anyone who wants a good sounding low-cost headphone to add to their collection, i would check these out as soon as possible.
  3. yrumiclarity
    3.5/5,
    "Not for everybody"
    Pros - clear and bright
    Cons - Piercing, harsh, fatiguing, soundstage like IEMs
    This review is an unbiased opinion.

This post is coming from a consumer foremost as I can't really call myself an audiophile yet. With that said, there are definitely some things wrong with these headphones. First of all, they are really harsh which makes them uncomfortable for listening. I use headphones to relax, not to be keyed up which also means I can't imagine wearing them to sleep. I have to resort to EQing which isn't recommended.

They also leak sound although not really a con for open ear cans. But for casual listeners who don't have many headphones, these are impractical, secondary headphones. You can't wear em' in your living room cause of the TV, not in the bus cause the driving sounds will make you insane. Even light conversations will spoil your listening experience. Which means more money spent on closed cans or IEMs.

>So most electronic music and modern genres aren't really enjoyable with these because I listen to ambient, minimal, IDM, experimental, etc where every note counts. And the treble in these genres will kill you. Period.
    >They sound very good with older genres and acoustic, organic music genres like folk. And also certain songs that are rock. I also tried classical just because of the reviews and they do sound good.

I hate to spoil the Grado fan club but the reviews here were the thing that compelled me to buy them without trying. Turns out "forward, fun, and agressive" meant annoying and harsh to me. I wouldn't had gotten these at any price. Not saying these are bad headphones but they just happen to be bad for me. So If anybody wants to buy them off me just say so.

Edit:

Guys take it easy, sorry I can't conform to all of your views but I can't change my opinion just because some of you guys don't like it. I'm quite taken aback by all the responses, I thought this place would be more open minded. I think its necessary for everybody's opinion to be contributed and considered for a product especially for headphones. I think most people like me use this website as a buying guide and they need to know what the Grado SR60i sounds like with electronic music.

I didn't have the chance to try them before buying and I fell for the hype because I didn't read enough realistic reviews, so I'm trying to put out what is lacking. BTW they did burn-in for awhile and the sound did become a tad less dramatic, not as much as I would had hope though.

Still the buying experience wasn't that bad, I'm sure I needed to know what Grado sound was sooner or later. I now wish I bought the Alessandro MS1i because "based on the reviews", [​IMG] they are a perfect purchase for people who like the Grado sound but can't stand the aggressiveness. I accept that they don't suit me personally but they are good for most circumstances so I'm rating it 3.5 to be objective while sticking to my point of view. I may grow to like them more, who knows?
  4. zanox
    "Mindblowing for the price."
    Pros - Aggresive, very good mids and highs, tight bass, clarity, instrument separation.
    Cons - Can be very bright sounding for some people.
    One of the best sounding headphones I have ever owned.
  5. Ketmeister
    "Destined to be a classic."
    Pros - Bass balance. Detailed, punchy sound. Solid design and performer. Cool vintage look. Made in the USA.
    Cons - Requires a good HP amp to drive properly. Recessed midrange. Ear pads a little uncomfortable. Longevity of ear pads.
    Audiophile classic.
  6. cocolinho
    "Everyone should have a grado in its collection"
    Pros - sound quality, design, easily mod'able
    Cons - design,price in Europe, soundstage
    I had SR225, MS1i & this SR60i
    In Europe, MS1i probably have the best ratio price/performance but still they are not Grado.
    I love its unique vintage design even though it looks cheap.
    Grado sr60i are very good sounding, to me they are  perfect for rock/metal music but not only.
    They are comfortable , light,but soundstage is very small for such an open headphones.
    SR225 was better but was not night & day versus SR60i so price difference in Europe is not justified.
    Newcomers, I would advice you to buy Grado 2nd hands here on Head fi, you'll get a SR225i for the price of a 80i new or 325i for the price of a SR125i in Europe.
    Grado's are unique and I think everyone should have one in its collection

7. pmangan35
    "best sub $100 out there"
    Pros - best sounding open airs I've had
    Cons - uncomfortable, bulky
    I defy anyone to find a better sounding pair of headphones for less than $100. The response of these is absolutely spot on. The dynamic range is almost perfect and they have even frequency response throughout. It's so easy to pick out every instrument in a song played through these, no note hides and nothing is misrepresented. Grado was so close to making the perfect headphone for me that I almost tear up when I think about how much they hurt to use. The way they press on my ears makes wearing them for more than 30 minutes or so an impossibility.. so sad. If they were comfortable, I would even be able to wear them outside despite the fact that I would look like an alien with two antennas coming out of my head.
  8. National
    "Very, very, very fun."
    Pros - Awesome sound, mighty attack and impact
    Cons - Fragile build, flimsy.
    Excellent headphones. Everything about them is 'right'.

I suppose some people won't like how they sound, as they're tuned to fit Mr. Grado's ears. But everyone should try them anyway. I loved how these sound, and it started my Grado addiction. I've now worked my way up to the 325i.

Yeah. These supposedly more 'affordable' headphones are burning my wallet in the long-run...

But in a good way.
  9. chrislovin
    "Completely worth the money"
    Pros - lightweight, great sound
    Cons - earpads
    Excellent open headphone. If your life can support open headphones, these are a great place to start. I currently use them with my Fiio E7 amp. The ear cushions were never very comfortable for me, so I spent the extra $20 and replaced them with the L-Cush pads that come on the more expensive Grado's. Since then, they seen a lot more use and have been much more comfortable. I mainly use these at home so I can still here my wife hollering at me. I tried to use them at work, but it's just too noisy and they bleed too much. The overall sound is just "right." Not too bassy, not to strong in the highs, just good all around. I can't think of a better way to get introduced to high fidelity headphones.
  10. Smiling Jack
    "Good value after 6 months"
    Pros - Retro looks, Lightweight, open sound signature, Made in the USA
    Cons - Somewhat fragile, impractical for public usage, uncomfortable after long periods
    Simply put, these headphones are one the best values in the audio world. They've praised time after time, and I now know why. These are my 2nd pair of quality grade headphones (after the V6), and can safely say I won't be putting these away anytime soon. The low impedance allows usage on both the home rig and portable devices.

I'm not an expert on sound signature with the highs, lows and mids, but perhaps the most contrasting feature in comparison to the V6 is the bass/low end response. Maybe it's the open-back design, but the low end isn't as powerful as the V6. It does, however, excel in Treble response.

I might be just jumping on the Grado bandwagon, but believe me when I say that for under $100, the value the SR60's give are truly unbeatable.

User Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!