Fiio E6 Headphone Amplifier

1. goldfingerfif
    Not bad for the size
    Written by goldfingerfif
    Published Feb 28, 2012
    Pros - Portable, works, and is actually usable
    Cons - Feels cheap, EQ1 is unusable
    I used this with my Beyerdynamic 860 and Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10.  It works and does a great job for most music giving it a more full range of sound.  I have tried it in my PC headphone out and mainly with my T989 Samsung Galaxy S2 as well as on an iPhone.  Depending on the quality and type of music you will want to use EQ2, EQ3 or no EQ.  EQ1 is a joke but the others have given much to the range of sound any device puts out not to mention it makes it significantly louder.  For $25 I cannot complain, doesn't do as well as when I listen through my AVR525 but it is portable, cheap, and rechargeable.
  2. Cam3ron
    Great Amplifier for on the go.
    Written by Cam3ron
    Published Feb 24, 2012
    Pros - Portable, Detailed sound, can drive speakers!
    Cons - Plastic, EQ1 is horrible.
    Kind of an interesting story. I was stuck with a bootstrap configuration in order to record a quick jam session and after we finished we wanted to hear it back. However, all I had was a pair of headphones and this amp and the mac's speakers are just horrid. Luckily we got some older computer speakers from my friends office, although it was missing the power supply. Amazingly, after plugging them into this amplifier, I could get it loud enough so we could hear. Anyways, It's a neat little amp and comes close to out perform my modded RCA amplifier. It's saved me more often in situations were more volume or clarity is needed, and is well worth the $20. However, it can't drive 250Ohm 770 Pros very loud and it feels a little cheap, also EQ1 is, like many other reviewers have stated, horrid.
  3. cleg
    Nice pretty little amp
    Written by cleg
    Published Nov 21, 2011
    Pros - good sound, small size, long battery life, nice design, good EQ
    Cons - maybe it would be better in metal
    Nice successor of famous Fiio E5. Totally redesigned. Now it's all plastic, but weight reduced about 2 times. And it doesn't looking like iPod Shuffle now.
    Also now it have more flexible EQ, able not only boost bass, but do more work.

Combinig with steal-like price and nice overall design - it still have outstanding sound, as E5 does.
    So it's really worth buying option.

8Oscar.jpg

1. moppel84
      Interesting Amp.
      But personally I really did not like the E5 because it produces a LOT of background static that grows a lot louder when upping the volume. This problem seems to be typical because many reviewers write about it.
      I really hope they fixed this by using different hardware, then it might be a great little amp
      moppel84, Nov 23, 2011
    2. cleg
      I've listened E6 with lots of headphones (Superlux 668B, Mee A151, Mee CC51, Woodes Vintage) on highest volume (risking my ears ), but I didn't find any noticable noise or static.
      cleg, Nov 24, 2011
  4. firev1
    Average but value piece of amp
    Written by firev1
    Published Sep 8, 2011
    Pros - Great value for money
    Cons - Lacks a lot of detail found in higher end amps(E11). EQ1 muddies sound.
    Like ^ I bought the E6 amp on a whim to try out, it kinda came in a bundle with the Feels Pro 900 and Hippo Boom from Jaben. To tell the truth, the bundled in-ears did not synergise with the amp at all, details were lacking and the sound was pretty muddy to me even when i set it flat. It does better with headphones of course and is able to make my m50's sound better. It made the soundstage more natural and wider than that of my Iphone(duh anythings better than that :3).

However it is not as detailed as the E11 which I bought before the E6. Also, while the EQ2 options and EQ3 are pretty nice EQ functions of the amp, EQ1 itself was down right terrible, it was muddy and any vocals where pretty much drowned out unlike the E11's bass EQ. It could be my bias since I do not have drum instrumentals and rock, EQ1 could have probably done better.

Overall I think the E6 is a good little portable amp, great little design, average amping with some detail loss. Good to use with the more affordable side of headphones where they tend to be more bass overkill. Probably would have thought better of it if I ever used the E7 or E5 amps.

Just to let peeps know
    EQ1 bass boost
    EQ2 +db(forgot how much)
    EQ3 -3db
    1. Manyak
      Yeah EQ1 is horrible, I should have mentioned that in my review too.

But EQ2 is actually a bass boost as well, just not as extreme as EQ1.
      Manyak, Sep 9, 2011
    2. nirvana das
      in an accident i have lost my 85% hearing hearing in my one ear...and other ear normal..
      i am a gamer n play counter strike 1.6...
      at full window sound i can listen very thin sound from my damaged ear..
      i need a very very loud amplification for my 85% hearing loss..so i can enjoy my gaming..
      can this amp. can so loudness...?
      nirvana das, Dec 5, 2012
    3. TjPhysicist
      @Niravana das : i dont know...sure its loud, but its not "o dear god my ears are gonna blow up" loud....
      TjPhysicist, Dec 10, 2012
  5. Manyak
    Great little amp!
    Written by Manyak
    Published Sep 8, 2011
    Pros - Best value for the money I've ever seen in audio
    Cons - Doesn't make me coffee
    Well I bought the E6 on a whim and it just arrived today. I'm impressed. It's definitely better than the E7 with an iPhone LOD and Triple Fi's. The soundstage feels a lot more natural - it's definitely easier to picture the instrument placement in your head while also feeling a little more spacious. The bass is a lot more tight and defined (I use EQ2 to counteract the Triple Fi's drop in bass, and Level 2 on the E7). The E6 also wins in the treble department, where it's clearer and more detailed. I really can't find a single downside to it vs the E7, except for maybe that it loses a bit of warmth (if that's your thing) and that it doesn't have a DAC.

It's really an amazing value for $20, you can't go wrong with it. It won't replace an RSA Protector or Pico Slim or anything like that if you're serious about your portable rig, but if you're just looking for a quick upgrade for your gym music or something it's great.