FiiO E5 is a Portable Headphone Amplifier designed to improve the sound quality and volume of any...

FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier

4.6/5,
  • FiiO E5 is a Portable Headphone Amplifier designed to improve the sound quality and volume of any portable audio source such as MP3 players, iPods, personal media players, mobile phones, laptops, notebooks/netbooks, or portable CD players. The E5 retains all of the advantages of the popular E3 while adding many new features and a substantial boost in performance, all inside a very small and slim aluminum case. With built-in volume controls, the E5 can be used with the line-level output of audio sources for even better sound quality.
    More than just a refresh, the E5 offers higher power output, better signal to noise ratio and lower distortion. Built on an entirely new amplifier platform, the E5 provides superior sound qualilty and works well with high impedance headphones. Two EQ profiles are available for flat or bass-boost response, allowing additional flexibility in obtaining optimal tonal match with different headphones.
    Highlight Features
    - Robust design handles high impedance and low sensitivity headphones
    - Easy to carry and use both indoors and outdoors
    - Increases your music player's battery life
    - New amplifier design with high S/N and low distortion
    - Very high PSRR for superior supply noise rejection
    - Metal case reduces interference when used with GSM mobile phones
    - Discreet power switch
    - Built-in electronic volume control for ultra low noise
    - Two EQ profiles: flat response and bass-boost modes
    - Built-in rechargeable battery provides up to 20 hours of normal use
    - Mini USB charger port can be used with any USB power source
    - Built-in metal clip conveniently attaches to clothing, bags, and etc
    Specifications
    - Output Power: 100mW (32ohms Load) 18mW (300ohms Load)
    - Signal to Noise Ratio: >=98dB (A Weight)
    - Power Supply: 200mAh rechargerable battery
    - Frequency Response: 10Hz - 60kHz
    - Distortion:

Recent Reviews

1. hp1
    Fii0 E5
    Written by hp1
    Published Jun 29, 2012
    The Fiio E5 is a good amp for anyone looking for a small and portable solution. The only problem I have with is when you are moving the divice there is a lot a distortion and do not use in with a smart phone when you receive calls this amp go crazy start beeping, and this is really painful to your ears. Overall I would recommend  this amp to anyone who when small, lightweight, travel friendly and budget friendly amp to anyone who is starting into amp.
    ""GOOD""
    1. KorkiPoo
      Extremely detailed review +5/5 *claps hands*
      KorkiPoo, Jun 29, 2012
    2. Night Crawler
      Thanks! Bought 6!
      Night Crawler, Jun 29, 2012
    3. hp1
      Glad I could help you guys. To Night Crawler you most mad money and more ears than the usual people living on earth. To KorkiPoo thanks you man I wrote this review in three hours.
      """GOOD"""
      hp1, Jul 1, 2012
  2. Hexidecimal
    Nice Bass Boost
    Written by Hexidecimal
    Published Aug 31, 2011
    Pros - Increased Volume, Increase Bass
    Cons - Bass boost can sound bloated
    For 20 bucks, it isn't a bad piece of kit. Nice little volume boost, added bass kick to my SRH440s. Really can't go wrong if you want something tiny, portable and have a bass light set of cans or IEMs.

The only con I really have with it, is that the volume down button is VERY close to the headphone out jack. If you have a set of phones that have a large plug the minus button can be hard to hit. Other then that it's a nice little starter portable amp. Now it lives in my car, to boost my phone going into my AUX in jack, which is very quiet.
    1. Draygonn
      Nice amp for the money/size if you need a little something extra.
      Draygonn, Sep 1, 2011
  3. mattphones
    Fantastic
    Written by mattphones
    Published Aug 29, 2011
    Pros - quality, power, sleek
    Cons - you kidding? Its perfect.
    end of story. Best $25 I've ever spent on audio equipment. EVERYONE needs one of these.

PS - I would sacrifice baby dolphins to this thing if it had a quality DAC in it. Its that good.
    1. bcasey25raptor
      It's not bad for the $20 I spent on it. Works best with a Lod. I use my Fiio L3 connected to my iPod classic.
      bcasey25raptor, Aug 29, 2011
    2. BotByte
      Best $25 I ever spent was my receiver, later I modded my old laptop into it, but other then that, best $21 I spent
      The FiiO works well with cans that need just a bit of power or need to be balanced. Problem is: is that it sometimes ruins the clarity for some headphones
      BotByte, Aug 30, 2011
  4. mokies
    MP3s sounded almost like FLACs
    Written by mokies
    Published Jul 17, 2011
    Pros - Sleek, Inexpensive, Easy to use, Bang-For-Buck
    Cons - Simply none.
    Made my Philips SHE9701 & Grado iGi sounded much sweet than I used to hear. A Bang-For-Buck for everyone.

Tested it with some speakers (just for fun). Sounded awesome on Altec Lansing VS4621 &
    Scythe KroCraft.
  5. doctorx
    Good amp for such little price...
    Written by doctorx
    Published Jun 7, 2011
    Pros - Price, Portability, Quality
    Cons - No low battery warning
    I have had this amp for some time now and it's pretty great for the price I paid for it. Battery is pretty decent. I don't really use the Bass Boost feature much because I feel like it's too much... but it can also be the Bose OE/MIE2i that I have used with it. No real complains other than when the battery dies, it simply dies. No low battery warning, nothing at all. Can be charged using any USB port (wall chargers are faster).
    1. bcasey25raptor
      i got mine yesterday. absolutely amazing for the money.
      bcasey25raptor, Jun 7, 2011
    2. gabik1
      I've been using one for several months here and there and can't really tell what's the big hype.
      for me it acts as an amplificated cord. it doesnt do anything to the sound it just helps elongate the life of your batterie......
      i use it with an ipod mini, archos 605 and my nokia e75. the earphones are either ethymotic research hf5 or grado sr60.
      these days maybe not ruining the sound with such money is an accomplishment by itself........
      i think maybe it's wiser to buy an extra batterie ......
      gabik1, Jun 9, 2011
    3. doctorx
      My review is based on SQ, battery life, and value. For me, the combination of the FiiO L3 LOD + FiiO E5 Amp is better than the internal iDevice's amp. For less than $40, you will have an improved SQ, and louder overall volume. This is a win for me.
      doctorx, Jun 12, 2011
  6. bcasey25raptor
    makes my shure srh840 headphones sound godly
    Written by bcasey25raptor
    Published Jun 7, 2011
    Pros - boosts volume and bass, excellent sound quality
    Cons - slight hiss on quiet songs, had to order online
    the fiio e5 is excellent value and is my first headphone amplifier. i bought my shure srh840 around early march and wasn't 100% satisfied so i wanted an amplifier. i didn't listen to everyone when they said my headphones wouldn't benefit and i was right to do so. these improve both the treble and bass. also it allows me to play louder without a degradation in sound quality. i also ordered a fiio l3 lod which makes it sound crisper with my ipod classic. i think everyone on head-fi should try this a tleast once.
  7. meizumintyboi
    Fiio E5 Amazing Performance For Very Little Money
    Written by meizumintyboi
    Published May 13, 2011
    Pros - Dirt cheap, Increases maximum volume and bass significantly, long battery life, small, light, strong slip, nice styling
    Cons - minor at this price: low quality cables, not many in this price range and size
    Got for using with my I9000GT and ATH-M50. I found that sometimes I wanted more bass and a slightly higher volume with some songs. The Fiio E5 solved this problem, for next to no money, hardly any extra weight or bulkiness either.
  8. Cleric
    does its job
    Written by Cleric
    Published Dec 19, 2010
    gives my re0 a little more "ummph". love it for the size, rechargeability, sleekness, clip.
  9. 1eye1derweasil
    pleasantly surprised
    Written by 1eye1derweasil
    Published Dec 3, 2010
    Pros - cheap, long battery life, usb rechargeable
    Cons - Kinda weak, improves performance but there are better amps
    cheap, long battery life, does its job.

Can't drive nice headphones, but excellent for earbuds or lowend over ears

worth the $$

but I would personally recomend the PA2V2, only 60$ and considerably better.
  10. Prog Rock Man
    Little Wonder
    Written by Prog Rock Man
    Published May 10, 2010
    Pros - Tough, very small and light, excellent sound
    Cons - None

Got myself a FiiO E5 portable headphone amplifier for a long bus and ferry trip. It was £14.44 delivered,  including a car charger from mp3amplifier on Amazon.. I then went a bit daft (maybe, read on) and also bought a line out dock (LOD) to connect the ipod to the amp from ebay seller saradam62, search iphone line out dock with cable, for £19.99 including delivery.

The E5 is tiny, seriously tiny and very light, see the pictures. It has a solid metal casing and a clip which fits nicely through the belt slits on  my soft ipod cover.

The built in lithium battery charges with a supplied USB cable to connect to a PC or via the car charger. A charge should last 20 hours. There is a mini jack in for the two different shaped supplied cables to connect  from the headphone out on an ipod into the amp. On the other end of the amp is the mini jack out to connect to the headphones. On the same end is the tiny volume control , bass boost switch and on/off button.  The instructions  are in English and Chinese and the translation is perfect and very clear.

I tried it with the supplied mini jack cable from the ipod’s headphone out. With  Sennheiser PX200s, Grado SR80s and AKG 702s it boosted the volume without distortion,  particularly benefiting the larger headphones. In terms of SQ there was not a huge difference for the PX200s, with and without bass boost. The difference was clearer for the SR80s and AKGs. I find that the sound directly out of a ipod for both is a bit insipid, light and neither has any energy or drive. The FiiO made both listenable and  provided the power boost both need. Bass boost was noticeable, but not significantly so.

I then tried the very nice LOD with its very tightly fitting connector, flat cable and pailiccs mini jack. It bypasses the ipod’s volume control and is the best way to connect an ipod to anything. The increase in SQ was exceptional and makes this extra expense to get the better connection very worthwhile. The volume goes even louder than before and still with no distortion. The  AKGs in particular benefit from the additional power provided, just wish I had remembered to turn the volume back down on switching to the PX200s, ooh me ears!

All three headphone now sing and are shown to their real potential. Again it is the SR80s and AKGs that really benefit. The overall sound of the  FiiO is bright and dynamic, particularly with bass boost on. There is not the soundstage, clarity and detail of an X-CAN full sized amp. But considering the price difference the FiiO puts the others to shame.

The Sennheiser PX200s sound full with a good bass and a slight treble. The SR80s added a full treble, depth, detail and more rounded midrange. They sounded a bit light and bright without bass boost and to my ears very much benefited from adding the extra bass.  The AKGs added clarity, a crisper smoother treble, more detailed midrange, but less bass depth. So the FiiO is quite a neutral amp as all three headphones retained their ’house’ sounds and individual character.

In conclusion the FiiO E5, with a LOD to connect to an ipod is startlingly good and very good value. How long it lasts with its rechargeable battery and tiny plastic controls, I’m not sure. But at £34.43 for both amp and LOD? I’ll just get another one.  There is an E7 coming out which is ipod specific, but no other details at the moment. If you connect any headphones to an ipod the E5 will give benefits, but more so full sized ones. Highly recommended.
    1. x y r
      Cheers! Very useful and clarifying as I'm looking into buying something like that for my DT770 pro 80.
      x y r, Nov 27, 2012

Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!