eXemplar Audio eXception Headphone Amp

5/5,
  • eXception Headphone Amplifier

Due to changing lifestyles and living arrangements headphone systems are becoming increasingly popular. In response we’ve developed our first headphone amplifier to meet that demand. It of course incorporates all the technical benefits of our previous equipment.

Features

Very short all triode signal path with no negative feedback

Voltage amp cap coupled to an actively loaded differential output stage (high dynamic range, wide bandwidth with fast transients and amazing recovery of low level detail, transformer output)

Urushi output capacitors (simply the best signal capacitors we’ve been able to find!)

Custom mu-metal shielded power transformers with power supply PCB mounted directly to transformer (minimizes stray fields and noise pick up)

Very high performance, ultrafast, wide bandwidth shunt regulators per channel (very low impedance power to tube stages over an extremely wide bandwidth providing extremely low noise and black background)

DC regulated filaments

ALPS audiophile-grade VOLUME pot

Warm-up delay function (when powered up the power supplies are sequenced in stages to maximize tube life and provide quiet startup)

Heavy gauge steel enclosure to help isolate external electronic noise from nearby equipment

Each unit is proudly hand built in the USA!

Specifications

Controls: Volume, Power, Balanced/Single Ended Selector, Input select, Hi-Lo Impedance Selector

Outputs: 4 Pin Balanced XLR Jack & Single Ended ComboXLR/TRS Jack

Tubes: 6H6P

Power Requirements: 110-120 VAC 60Hz, 200 - 240 VAC on Special Order

Dimensions: 16.25" W X 2.5" D X 4.5" H

Weight: 20 lbs.

Warranty: 5 years limited parts and labor. One year or 10,000 hours, whichever comes first, on Exemplar Audio Tubes.

$2,995

Recent Reviews

1. shyamwanne
    Amazing 3D Sounding Head Amp
    Written by shyamwanne
    Published Apr 3, 2018
    Pros - Very transparent sound with the best 3D imaging I have ever heard.
    Cons - It is a rather large box, which is not really a negative, but something to keep in mind in your rack.
    I had a chance to listen to this headphone amplifier in my system, and I had to buy it. It bested all the other head amps I had tried by far.

The Exemplar has an incredible 3D presentation of the soundstage. I just love the feeling of wanting to reach out and touch the instruments, and that is what this headphone amplifier does.

Even though the amplifier says it uses 6H6Ps tubes, I found tube rolling has a nice impact on the sound, so I was able to dial in the music to my liking. I tend to like a lot of detail, so I ended up using Telefunken CCA tubes. I'm personally a big fan of CCA tubes and they work flawlessly in this amplifier.

For reference I am using this head amp with the following gear:

1. Audio Technica ATH-ADX5000 headphones with Plus Sound silver/gold cables w 4 pin XLR
    2. Pioneer SE-Master1 headphones with silver/gold cables
    7. Anticables 3 power cords
    8. Shunyata Research Denali D6000/S Power Distributor

images

1. IMG_6383.JPG

Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!