Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones

1. harry501501
    Most fun IEM I've heard!
    Written by harry501501
    Published May 29, 2016
    Pros - Wide unique soundstage, detailed, accurate bass, fantastic value
    Cons - Little artificial treble
    I've only been in this game since January but have bought a new IEM every month (at pay day obviously). Nothing yet has come close to being my go-to IEM. (I should note...I bought the Titans for £100 but then returned them for the Fiio EX 1s which were the same IEM but rebranded for Fiio... and only £50.... wow.)

I also have Soundmagic e10, Re400s, Havi B3 Pro 1s, Trinity Audio Deltas V1, MEE Pinnacle P1s and I've heard and returned Dunu DN2000s just today.

BASS - I originally thought they didn't have much bass impact but once I used Comply Foam T-500s that changed. It then become nice and accurate with a good mid bass thump. I sometimes EQ a little bit more sub bass. Bassheads won't like these imo.

MIDS - Little recessed but still detailed. They have a slight bit of warmth (which i like). Vocals sound great, especially harmonies which come out fantastically with it's HUGE soundstage. Guitars have great body. I originally thought they lacked a bit of detail, but once I heard other IEMs known for detail and microdetail i realised they were just as competent. They just place the details around the soundstage, but everything is there. i bought the Dn2000s to give me a pair that I could marvel at microdetails but it took me by surprise just how similar the Titans could be when needed.

HIGHS - Probably it's weakest factor. They can be heard but can sound a bit artificial to my ears. Some may find them a wee bit fatiguing at first, but again the foam tips helped that with me. I'm not anywhere close to being a treble head but I like to hear a bit of detail which these def do. They don't have problems with sibilance either.

SOUNDSTAGE - Most people will pick this as the biggest draw. It's huge due to the vent holes. Nice and airy, vocals and instruments have great placement, stereo effect is well done even though they can sit way out your head at times. Very 3D like. the Havi B3 Pro 1s have a very large soundstage and they also use it in a very effective realistic way, but to me it is ruler flat whereas the Titans is just as wide but has better depth and height and is more airy... just bigger.

FIT - Very comfortable, very light. Isolation isn't great though down to the vent holes so you will hear everything going on around you on the go, but it doesn't effect the listening experience. They sound great still... they just greater in a quiet atmosphere.

Genres - I think they do well for all types of music, especially rock. make anthems sound amazing. It's like fireworks in your ears. Guitars and harmonies bursting all round you. Modern pop and electro sound great. i don't listen to classical but I'd think they'd do quite well with big orchestras.

i use these with Xduoo X3 which compliment it very well. i also use it with Fiio e10k and it just just as well. Doesn't need amping imo, and is very forgiving with low bitrate songs... unlike the Mee P1s lol

I have two other great sets in the Deltas and MEE P1s. They are great for different reasons, but the Titans still outperform them for a fun listen (the Deltas are close though as they have a similar mid bass punch which i like). This is a lot to do with that great soundstage though. It's just so unique.

For £50 you are getting a SUPERB IEM... no wonder it is sitting at Number 2. The value is unreal tbh. Not sure if Fiio will keep them at this price point, but they compete with IEMs four times as expensive imo.
  2. Hifihedgehog
    A TITAN at a Pauper's Price
    Written by Hifihedgehog
    Published Sep 21, 2015
    Pros - A revealing, authentic and emotive sound response; many useful high quality accessories are also included
    Cons - None
    I can say with a resounding "yes" that my hunch was right. Being the hard-core objectivist that I am, I frequently use InnerFidelity's datasheets as a gauge to determine whether or not a headphone is worth considering for purchase. A few weeks prior to acquiring the TITAN 1, I did just that. Based upon my observations of its measured performance, I hypothesized that the TITAN 1's actual performance would be legendary. Indeed, I have been far from disappointed in my decision. I can say without uncertainty that the DUNU TITAN 1 is up there with the best of ultra high-end headphones.

For many of you, the TITAN 1 can truly be your end-game or desert island earphone. Everything is right on target—or, simply, it just sounds so right. Singers, instruments, dialogue, ambience, sound effects, you name it, that inhabit the midrange have unadulterated realistic tonality. Pardon the cliché, but sound sounds just like it would in real life. Now, that is a tough feat to perform. The TITAN 1 matches the tonality of big dog headphones like the Sennheiser HD 800 and HiFiMAN HE-1000, both of which I have demoed thoroughly.

And oh, man, that clarity! Getting crystalline, sparkling clarity in a headphone is one thing. Shimmery cymbals, airy female vocals, brassy trumpets. But actually having a refined, grain-free, unfatiguing sort of clarity is the real balancing act. Strike the right balance and remove all anomalies, and you can see the sound and make out its texture with 20-20 auditory vision. Only the best of the best headphones can pull off this sonic feat and the TITAN 1 does exactly this without breaking a sweat.

The bass, too, is the kind that astounds. In an age where Beats are as bassy as McDonald's is greasy, the TITAN 1 is a breath of fresh air. In an instant, it can be delicate where the music calls for it. Yet unlike many audiophile headphones that are often too delicate, the TITAN 1 has a trick up its sleeve. It has also hard hitting authority to kingdom come. Yes, the lifelike punch of real music is all there. The bass materializes and disappears with pistonic precision. Put all these premium components (bass, midrange, and treble) of this sonic sandwich together, and you have an instant scrumptious serendipity of sonic splendor in your head.

So the TITAN 1 sounds out of this world, but the buck doesn't stop there. The build quality and accessories radiate the kind of craftmanship you normally see in $500-plus models: a Teflon-reinforced cable; a unique, especially patented rubber loop attached to the cable for coiling it with ease; a pristine buffed aluminum sleeve on the plug; two stunning, polished silver driver housings composed of space age metal; and even a durable black hard plastic case is included. No stone was left unturned in this pursuit for excellence. By visual inspection alone, this entire package in other brands would normally cost a bundle, because it certainly looks the part. Shockingly, it doesn't. That's the craziest thing about it.

The TITAN 1 is incredible regardless of its price, and receives my unfettered full recommendation. It is not the pipsqueak of a giant killer you might think it is; it is a full-fledged TITAN itself under the guise of a pauper's price tag. If you are earnestly shopping around for a pair of earphones that you likely never ever will have to upgrade from for only $115 (or $90 should you opt for the equivalent rebranded FiiO EX1), look no further. Snatch up the TITAN 1 while you can. You won't regret it!
      stalepie likes this.
    1. jerryzm
      Thanks for that. I just got these last month and I have to say it surprised me as well. Build quality is excellent for the price and it can go head to head with my other fav iem, xba-a3.

I haven't heard the Sennheiser HD 800 yet but if what you're saying is true, we have a keeper here. Great job on the review!
      jerryzm, Sep 21, 2015
    2. Hifihedgehog
      The best part for me is the TITAN 1 does for me what I initially used to believe only a full-sized high-end open-back headphone could achieve. It has a limitless soundstage and gobs of (reference standard) clarity and punch. For me, it even outshines the Sennheiser HD 800, particularly in bass reach and midrange neutrality. However, from what I can see in the InnerFidelity datasheets, the DN-2000J (not the non-J model) adds that last little bit of clarity that is ever-so-slightly missing in the 6 to 10 KHz region  and is absolutely sublime because of it.

(Note: This is seriously splitting hairs. There are $1000+ headphones like the Audeze, models which have this problem, only to a far greater degree, so much so that they are so dark in these upper regions they sound plain wrong at times. Yes, the TITAN 1 outperforms an Audeze in my most candid opinion. Unless you like the classic stereotypical warm audiophile curve or you do not care about anything above 4 KHz (i.e. treble), skip it. The HiFiMAN HE-1000 or Sennheiser HD 800, if you prefer full-sized headphones, are far superior in my experience. Or if earphones are your thing, go with the TITAN 1.)

However, even though I would even now be saving for the DN-2000J, there is less reason to now that potentially better prospects are on the horizon. What gets me even more hyped is DUNU is releasing a whole new line of earphones, just showcased publicly this week, in fact! See the link and get excited! I say wait for a few months, read, demo (if possible) and then buy, if you are after that last 1% of performance, based on what DUNU's new models can pull off: http://www.dunu-topsound.com/2015.html
      Hifihedgehog, Sep 22, 2015
    3. jerryzm
      Wow thanks for the link. Looks like DUNU has a lot of new iems to look forward to especially the new variations of the titan.
      jerryzm, Sep 22, 2015
  3. areek
    Are these for Real???
    Written by areek
    Published Aug 31, 2015
    Pros - amazing sound, fun,. wide soundstage, superb instrument seperation, great accessories.
    Cons - isolation, non-detachable cables, doesn't come with foam tips.

Name- DUNU TITAN 1
    Manufacturar- Dunu-topsound, a chinese company.
    Price- 115$, I got them for around 169SGD from Lend me ur ears, Singapore.
    Description-
    First, some note about me. I am a 25 year old guy who just finished his MBBS and now studying for entry into post grad course. I have entered into the head-fi scene while looking for a good quality gaming headphones. Some guys from Banglagamer, specially Mahfuz Islam BhuiyanS.M. Ridwan KabirSadman ShawmikRahin Sadman Islamthese guys adviced me to get a stereo headphones with big soundstage, which led me into buying a Panasonic HTF600. I haven't looked back since.

Currently my setup are the following-
    PC > Xonar STX > Hifiman HE400
    Fiio X1 > Fiio E12 > Dunu Titan 1

I bought these after going through numerous reviews from all over the internet and after auditioning it to similarly priced big guns like the VSonic GR07 Bass edition and Kennerton Laguz. The won me over by far.

Accessories and build-
    These came in a quite big box, 6.7 x 5.1 x 2 inches(amazon). The box contained the specifications of the iem, some description about a ukrainian singer named Max Barsky when opening the 1st flap. Inside there was a hard plastic box, 3 types of silicone eartips, each having 3 sizes (that's total of 9 pairs), a 3.5 to 6.3mm stereo adapter and the IEM itself.
    As you can see in the picture, the IEM has a full metallic body, the inner aspect of each bud has several holes in them which allow sound to pass through. The buds are each connected with nonsleeved cable but they fuse together by by a good metal y-split and the remainder of the cable is sleeved. There is also a cinch in between the buds to adjust split of the earbuds, which also help while wrapping these up. These tangle up easily but can also be untangled easily. The strain reliefs are OK i guess. Good thing is that there is a rubber tie which can be used to keep these coiled properly. Overall pretty impressive build and accessories I say.

Sound-
    These are quite neutral IEMs with a mild V shape, which make this just suitable for my listening experiance.

Lows-
    This is in no way a bass heavy headphone. But it isnt a shy one either. My first experiance while listening to it was, oh man, these might have no bass at all. But then it hit me. Just when I wanted that oomph, the Titan delivered. And it delivered with perfection. It ain't boomy, it ain't thumping. But it's full of body and texture. There is a mild mid bass boost, which is the fun factor. 9/10 for the bass.

Mids-
    Really good bass, V shaped, you would think mids are gonna be recessed, right? Well, I think the mids is where these shine the most. Because, it delivers a fun signature with just enuf magic in the mids to keep you mesmerised. The first time I played Hotel California on it, I was blown away by the detail of the guitars and the voice. Every time I listen to female vocals, I mouth opens up a bit saying Oohhh! Wow! and stays that way. That being said, the close compititor RE-400s probably have a more magical mid, but This stands out, I'll describe why a bit later. Anyways, a solid 9/10 for mids.

Highs-
    I do not like sibilance that much, but I enjoy the sparkle up top. These give me just enuf sparkle to have fun without causing any sibilance. Some might find these a bit tinny, but I dont. In fact, I feel the comply S-200 tips that I am using with them dampen the highs a bit, which sounds kinda dull to me. So, I am probably gonna buy the isolation tips as well. 8.5/10

Soundstage and imaging-
    This is the X-factor of these iems. The openness of the buds allow a lot of ambient sound to come through while giving the sound a chance to expand. And that is the cornerstone of the Titan's popularity. Makes me feel like i'm listening to a live show inside a restaurant/gallery. The clarity is superb, imaging prestine. Every instrument has it's own space, which means a very engaging experiance. This also helps to play out the fast paced songs perfectly without getting all fuzzy. I had the chance to audit the GR07 BE at the same time I tried these, along with my old Steelseries Flux, both of which didnt stand a chance against these. And just to remind you that both of these are considered as the top guns for their price. So no shortcomings here, 10/10

Isolation-
    The openness of the iems meant poor isolation. I use medium volumes and even then the person sitting beside me can clearly tell which song I am listening to. 3/10

So, this brings my reviews to an end. It was kind of sad that after a month of me buying these, the famous amp creator Fiio came out in conjuction with Dunu to rebrand the Titan 1 as Fiio EX1, which is essentially the same diaphragm but with different cables and minus the adapter, and it sells for just 89.99$ on amazon, which is a steal. That probably will make it the best sounding iem for <100$ budget. so don't miss out.

Have fun. gri
    dunu.jpg

dunu1.jpg

dunu2.jpg

dunu3.jpg

dunustack.jpg

DJScope likes this.
    1. Tobias89
      Nicely written review bro!
      Tobias89, Aug 31, 2015
    2. ASpencer
      Superb... and upstanding and fair to mention the FiiO rebranding with the price break.
      ASpencer, Aug 31, 2015
    3. areek
      thank you guys. I've put up my name to participate in the Fiio EX1 world tour where they will be sending out the EX1 to the reviewers and they pass it along. If that comes, I'll be reviewing it and post a comparison.
      areek, Sep 1, 2015
  4. avitron142
    Simply Excellent - a Giant Contender
    Written by avitron142
    Published Jun 11, 2015
    Pros - Spacious and Excellent Sound quality, Build quality, Design, Comfort, Fit.
    Cons - Isolation
    Introduction:

If you're part of this site, you've heard of open-back headphones. Well, today I learned that over-ear headphones aren’t the only cans with different “open” designs; some IEM’s, less frequently, also feature a somewhat open shell - the DUNU Titan 1’s have a half-open, and half in-ear design.

So what's the benefit? Think about a semi-open IEM the same way you would regard a semi-open headphone – An open design allows for a more spacious, larger sound (more "3D", binaural, etc.) while sacrificing isolation. If there was a choice between the closed and open for sound quality, open-back will win almost every time.

So it’s a bit refreshing to see that DUNU’s tried to go take a bit of a risk here and attempt something new. In addition to the aspect of the Titan 1’s being open, there’s also the “half in-ear” design. This allows for a bigger driver, encased in the half of the IEM that isn’t in your ear - this makes the Titan 1 bigger than most other general designs, as the other designs... have to fit to your ear, and this one doesn't. Generally IEM's run into the issue of having to cram one (or five, or ten for bragging rights) drivers into each ear, and try to replicate something about... ~30x bigger? Any headway on keeping IEM's comfortable while allowing for more space to get the drivers correctly is a win for me.

Does the open design raise the sound quality here to be above market? Let’s find out.

I am in no way affiliated or work for DUNU. For this review, I’ve received the Titan 1 as a review sample courtesy of DUNU Topsound.

Packaging:

The box itself is of the same type of that of the DN-2000J; it’s a stealthy black box that feels sturdy and well made. I'm happy DUNU’s not only willing to put money into the headphone, but also into the external presentation as well - it just looks neat. On the back, like the DN-2000J’s box, it says a few things about the Titan 1’s, as well as the accessories it comes with.

Opening up the first flap reveals more information about the Titan 1’s, specifically the titanium coated diaphragm DUNU implemented here. Opening up both flaps gives us a sneak preview at the Titan 1’s, as well as some of the tips and the carrying case.

P1000960.jpg P1000965.jpg P1000972.jpg P1000970.jpg P1000955.jpg P1000969.jpg

Accessories:

First off, the tips. There’s 3 pairs of translucent gray tips (small, medium, and large), 3 pairs of (what appears to be) Sony Hybrid tips, which are well known for their comfort, and 3 pairs of all-black tips with a noticeably larger nozzle size,. I cannot say whether the Sony hybrids are real - the ones I have from my own collection are knockoffs to begin with, so someone else will have to elaborate on that one.

The different nozzle sizes for each pair of tips probably make a difference in sound, although I like the sound the way it is – with the default pair of tips that are on the Titan 1’s (Sony hybrid – medium). One thing that I noticed was that there wasn’t any Comply tips. Call me crazy, but I’d rather have 6 pairs of regular tips and one pair of Comply than 9 pairs of tips certain consumers will never use if they’re a foam-tip fan. I can’t really fault DUNU for this though, as they did provide 9 pairs of tips.

However, for future products, I would love to see the different nozzle sizes supplemented with bi-flange and tri-flange tips. Some guys only get a good fit with bi/tri-flange, and there's always the customer who’s a sworn fan of Comply (there seems to be many of them recently). By taking out the larger nozzle tips and providing even one pair of foam, and one pair each of medium bi-flange and tri-flange, there’s minimal extra cost but potentially more happy customers.

P1000976.jpg P1000974.jpg P1000977.jpg

Note: Although there are 5 sets of black tips in each picture, the 2nd and 3rd rows from the top are the Sony hybrids, as well as the pair of tips that came on the Titan 1 (not shown here).

The case itself is made of plastic, although it is definitely more pocketable than the one that comes with the DN-2000J. It’s a clasp-operated case, and as a hardcore zipper case fan, it just doesn’t appeal to me as much on the go. Just to give it a bit of though – imagine you’re on the bus or train and want something from inside the case. Popping open the case through the clasp could be risky; if you’re not careful, everything inside the case could fall out. That is why I’m a zipper-case fan – it doesn’t give you any surprises when opening, and is generally longer lasting. While DUNU got the size and form factor right, and I applaud them for that, I hope a zipper case can be a consideration in the future.

P1020032.jpg P1020034.jpg P1020035.jpg

The Titan 1's is the black, small case. The metal DN-2000J's case is on the right.

The last few accessories are a shirt clip, a 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter, a cable cinch, and the warranty card. The shirt clip can be used to reduce microphonics, as I’ll elaborate in the microphonics section later on. The cable cinch is a brilliant way to keep your cable wrapped up without it being a mess, so it’s an idea I definitely approve of.

P1000979.jpg P1000980.jpg P1020003.jpg

The accessories have been thought out well; as I can see, DUNU doesn’t skimp here. I do think though that a few switches in the types of accessories, while not costly, can really give this product a major boost in this department. However, it would be wrong for me to say that it didn’t do well here, only that I can see it going from 'great' to 'amazing' with little effort.

Build Quality & Design:

The housing of the Titan 1’s are cast out of metal, and DUNU lives up to its good name in build quality once again. The easiest way I could describe the shell is that it gives the appearance almost exactly of an earbud, with a round and symmetrical shell, except that is has a nozzle protruding at an angle for the tips to be on. I won’t go into the science behind it, but all you have to know is that the design provides a very snug fit in your ear. But more on that in the fit & comfort section later.

While there are L/R markings on the housing of the Titan 1, they are hard to see, as they blend in with the shiny metal of the housing. Well, DUNU went with color coding on this one - around the shell there is a red/blue stripe, depending on the earpiece. The red stripe is for the right earpiece, and the blue is for the left. While it may be a little hard to remember at first, as the colors don’t exactly have any connection to left/right, it’s easy to get the hang of, and a very efficient way to tell which earpiece is which. No need anymore to squint at the housing to tell whether it says ‘L’ or ‘R’, now you just have to look at the color. A very clever idea, and a point in DUNU’s favor here. I certainly like it.

P1000998.jpg P1000987.jpg P1000984.jpg

As you can see from the pictures under this paragraph, the main housing of the Titan 1’s have two rows of holes punctured into the shell, and one hole on the back of each housing. To my understanding, this is what makes it “semi-open”. While you won’t be listening from these vents (not that I know of anyway), they do let out air, which removes some of the reverb and provides a more spacious feel to the sound – I’ll continue speaking about this in more detail in the sound section.

There is ample stress relief where the cable meets the housing, and for this price range, there’s not much else I could ask for in that regard.

P1000990.jpg P1000991.jpg

The cable itself is braided before the Y-split, and regular (unbraided) after the split. I like the look of this thin, but braided wire; I just wish though that it would provide more protection from microphonics, as that’s what I thought braided cables are meant for. Either way, it has a nice, classy look that I really like, and that’s what counts. [​IMG]

The Y-split feels nice, and also is very light, so you don’t have to worry about the split weighing down the earphone too much. There is also stress relief leading up to the Y-split, and it seems overall well made.

The Titan 1’s have a right-angled 3.5mm jack, and has nice stress relief there as well. I like the fact that it is made out of polished metal, and that DUNU completely opted for the right-angled jack in many of their products – it’s definitely more efficient with music plays, tablets, and smartphones, as the stress relief stays parallel to the device, rather than perpendicular to it, so including this practice greatly reduces the risk of breakage near the cable.

TL;DR – the jack is nice, neat, and unobtrusive. A thumbs up from me here.

P1020004.jpg P1020007.jpg P1020009.jpg P1020014.jpg

Overall, the build quality is top-notch, and this is a hallmark or DUNU’s workmanship. It certainly seems long lasting, so potential buyers should not be worried about breaking the headphone, or tearing the cable. The design, while looking somewhat quirky, really works in your ear, and that’s what counts.

Fit & Comfort:

Like I was saying earlier, the unique “half in-ear” shape of the Titan 1’s really provide a great fit in your ear. While only the tip goes into your ear canal, the Titan 1’s remained in my ear even when I tried shaking it out, and I’m able to wear it for over an hour with no discomfort. I’ve went with the default tips, as they are the ones that worked best for me straight out of the box. I’m sure that using foam tips will probably provide a better seal, but I can’t say how and in what ways they will affect the sound signature. Probably more bass with a slight sacrifice in detail.

Comfort wise, I have no complaints. The tips are comfortable enough in my ear for long listening sessions, and because of the snug fit, I’m more prone to using these on the go than other earphones I have – just pop ‘em in and let them stay. I have no problems with the metal housing touching the back of my ear, but YMMV.

The tips go more into my ear than usual IEM’s do (for me, anyway), so people who like a shallow fit will probably have to compromise on a deeper fit for this one. Keep in mind that the deeper fit affects microphonics, and I’ll touch on that later.

It is important to note that the Titan 1’s can only be worn down, due to its design, so around-the-ear IEM enthusiasts should make note of it before buying the Titan 1’s. However, it doesn't seem to budge from my ear worn down, so I'm not sure there's much reason why someone would want to wear it around the ear to begin with, besides for reduced microphonics.

Overall, I’m really digging the fit the Titan 1’s provide, and I’m more than willing to sacrifice the looks when they are on the table for a really snug fit in my ear. In the ear, other people can’t really notice the “half in-ear” design, so these actually look very normal when being worn.

Isolation & Microphonics:

As a semi-open earphone, there is inevitable sub-average isolation. This is a tradeoff for the sound it provides; BUT it's still something that potential buyers should know about. You won’t be using these to block out noise on the bus or train, but it is great for more quiet places on the go, where you can’t always bring a bulky over-ear headphone with you. The form factor of an IEM makes it a great choice to just chuck-and-go, and the Titan 1’s are no exception.

Unfortunately, the Titan 1’s cable (or the deeper fit of the tips, I’m not really sure) does create considerable microphonics, even with the braided cable. Since the Titan 1’s can’t be worn over the ear, there’s no getting around it. However, DUNU does provide a shirt clip, which reduces the microphonics overall. I would have still liked there to be less, as not everyone likes using a shirt clip. Since this is a problem central to many, if not most IEM's (especially those which have the tips deeper in the ear canal), I can't fault DUNU here, or any company in particular. I just hope we find a good way to solve this problem with IEM's soon.

While I didn't burn-in the Titan 1’s as much as they recommended on the general forums, I did put this through ~10 hours of burn-in tracks – frequency sweeps, frequency shapes, white noise, pink noise, brown noise, baby noise (gotta love new cousins), you name it. And since I'm pretty darn pleased with the sound (spoiler alert), I hope my impressions are worth something here.

I listened to the Titan 1’s with the Shozy Alien player, as well as my Cowon J3. Amplification is for a later section, stay tuned

Bass/Lows: The Titan 1’s have a punchy lower regions that is quite layered. It does have a bit of a boost, primarily in the mid-bass region, however in the long run you’ll actually want this, and does not by any means obstruct the rest of the frequency. The lower end of the frequency ends up being nuanced, and has nice “thump” like sound. It’s controlled quite well, although I did hear from many people that a large amount of burn-in (which I unfortunately was not able to do yet) most definitely improves the bass control even more.

Think of it like an AKG K7XX type of bass – true, it has a boost, but because of the open back design, the lower region helps create an enveloping sound that is the envy of many headphones. The same goes with the Titan 1’s; it’s semi-open design helps it smooth out, so to say, and it never feels too much, only large enough to give life to the music.

I’m happy with the bass. It’s not every day where you have an IEM with an elevated bass that is this enjoyable. And by “enjoyable”, I don’t mean “fun”, because that’s a term used to describe bass-heavy headphones that any non-basshead feels overpowers the frequency. No, the Titan 1’s are enjoyable, and I mean that coming from a balanced listening perspective. I am by no means a basshead, so feel confident that you’ll enjoy the lows if you’re a balanced listener too.

Mids/Vocals: I’m not much of a vocal fan, so I can’t comment on the “magic” certain vocals have. However, on the Titan 1’s they have a nice amount of clarity, and although they take an ever-so-slight beating from the elevated bass, they are as enjoyable and as detailed as ever to me. However, on a few tracks, they due sound *slightly* thin, but nothing that’s very noticeable to me.

Pianos sound SO good on the Titan 1’s – I can listen to them for literally hours on this little IEM, and probably will. Gosh, the musical sound of the Titan 1’s will make this one a winner for me. I could not even tell from pianos the slight V-shape frequency that the Titan 1 has; piano performances sound incredibly balanced, and are full of emotion. I would ramble on and on about this, but I now have to re-listen to Final Fantasy 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10-2, and 11 piano collections, so pardon me, but I have a lot of listening to do in the next two days.

Reluctantly moving on to guitars, they also sound well done, and definitely feel fuller due to the capable bass. They have a musical feel, which is definitely a strong suite of the Titan 1’s. They also have a good amount of clarity, despite the helping hand from the bass.

Highs: The highs definitely don’t seem bright to me – they are well-refined and textured though. Drums sound great, and well as violins. They are just short of crisp – but they are clear, and I enjoy them a lot as well.

Clarity: The Titan 1’s, I’m happy to say, don’t sound “closed in” like many other IEM’s I’ve tried – this is probably due to its semi-open design. So if you’re looking for an IEM while looking to stay away from the dreaded “veil” that very often comes with it, the Titan 1’s should be near the top of your list.

Soundstage: Very spacious, due to the semi-open design. The sound is wide as well as deep, but I can’t help but have the impression that the sound seems to be coming from a slightly “taller” place than I’m used to, and the left/right sounds are a little bit behind center – but this is a refreshing take on the sound, and by no means bad. Just a little different is all.

However, the sound definitely doesn’t seem to feel closed in at all, and soundstage here is bigger than most IEM’s I’ve experienced, price range or not. Definitely one of the strongest points of the Titan 1.

Detail: Despite being quite detailed, it is at the end of the day a $115 IEM, and sometimes it’s easy to forget that. The detail is good for its price range, but isn’t the crowning glory of this IEM. However, I have no complaints with it, so do not take this as one.

Frequency Shape: I would say the Titan-1’s are slightly V-shaped, but the midrange definitely does not take the backseat in my listening experience with these. Think V-shaped in slight quantities, but not in how laid back the sound is.

Overall Tonality: The Titan 1’s are quite balanced, and really good sounding in general. They are a very "musical" IEM In my experience, and give “life” to the music, so to speak. It has a little bit of a warm sound, but the open design makes sure it’s only slight, and keeps a nice distance so whatever you're listening to isn’t exactly in your face. I would say that the open design transforms “warm” to “lush”, and if I had to describe it, that’s the word I would use – a word that I’ll probably never use in real life, but it’s the best I can do to describe the Titan 1’s.

Separation: I would have thought that the instrument separation would take a little bit of a beating due to the Titan 1’s musical take on sound, and that it’s inevitable with the type of tonality it wants to produce – but it surprised me here with being quite decent, despite its musicality, and especially despite its price. I was very happily surprised when finding this out. Guitars/orchestras/pianos/vocals etc. are all able to be parsed out. Definitely something I’m a fan of here.

Coherency & Flow: Excellent. The musical nature of the Titan 1 makes this top notch, and has a beautiful flow that is very hard to match. The crowning glory of the Titan 1 in my opinion - just sit back and listen, you'll forget this is in your ear at all. ‘Nough said.

Hiss: I really don’t get hiss with this, even on the Shozy Alien, which is quite hiss prone with sensitive IEM’s. These don’t seem to be sensitive at all, and because of this, my volume is slightly higher with the Titan 1 than with, say, the DN-2000J.

EQ: Don’t. Just… no. It sounds so great without, I’m skipping this section.

Genre Recommendations: Piano, piano and piano, of course. And violin, and guitar. Frankly, all instrumental music I’ve tried with the Titan 1 was nothing short of amazing in this price range. Classical (violin) orchestras performed much better than what I thought it would; the elevated bass is not showing at all with my classical music, which is strange, but works. In short, I would be very comfortable using this for classical music, and it has the slight treble clarity that is integral to this specific genre. Standard electronic music sounded great with these. EDM specifically is a bit too bassy for my tastes at this point in time, but I have a hunch this will improve with ample burn-in, so this isn’t the last word on this genre. Hip hop, and other vocal-centric genres, aren’t exactly the strong suites of the Titan 1, but they don’t sound bad by any means. Rap sounds great due to the Titan 1’s elevated bass, and male rappers have a nice edge to their voices here. Jazz sounds good here as well, but due to the near-crisp highs, they can sound a bit harsher in this genre than what I would want them to be.

Basically, acoustic music is its strong point, although it performs well with a variety of genres. This IEM is more geared for the musical listener rather than the analytical one (looking at you DN-2000J), due to its musical flow, but it has enough for attentive listeners to enjoy as well.

Sound Summary: The Titan 1’s sound amazing for its price, and it’s just so easy to recommend these. They are geared towards a more musical perspective - however, they tick off all the right boxes and then some. The semi-open design gives this a really refreshing sound that I could listen to for hours. They are simply great sounding, and I am very interested to see how these will change for the better with the churn' and burn-in. If there would be one section would say gets a bit left behind the others, it would be the vocals. This is YMMV though, and as an instrumental listener, I’m not really qualified as other head-fi’ers to comment on this.

Amplification:

At 16 ohms, these don’t really need amplification, and are well-driven by most source players. While I did not see a positive difference with my Fiio E12 (and actually I preferred the sound without it), I have to tell you though that the Shozy Alien -> Meier Corda HA-2 -> Titan 1 had me drooling. The most noticeable differences were primarily in a bigger and more realistic soundstage (standard amp pros), and a buttery smooth bass. However, amplification is really not a necessary factor here, with its output impedance, and if you are going to use an amp, make sure it’s a decently transparent one.

Value & Conclusion:

At $115, this IEM is an absolute steal. Its buttery and smooth sound is way above its price range, and has me forgetting time and time again how relatively cheap they are, given their performance. The build quality is top notch, and the innovative design definitely brings many benefits to the table, in terms of both comfort and sound. As a drawback of this otherwise wonderful design, one thing to keep in mind is that they don’t isolate very well, so don’t buy these thinking that they will block everyone else out. Keeping that in mind, though, for someone who wants both amazing sound and phenomenal comfort in a pocket’s reach, I cannot recommend these more at this price range.

P1020041.jpg P1020038.jpg P1020039.jpg

- Avishai Zitron
    1. Wildcatsare1
      Great review, Avitron142, really enjoy mine working out or mowing the lawn.
      Wildcatsare1, Jun 14, 2015
  5. Tom22
    Attack of the Titan Part 1: Holographic Space! Highly Recommended!
    Written by Tom22
    Published Jun 5, 2015
    Pros - Fairly balanced sound with a bit of flair in the bass & treble, Great build quality, comfortable, low isolation, nice accessories
    Cons - low isolation, upper mids a bit peaky, could use a bit more subbass
    The last few years, Dunu had incredible success with their hybrid multidriver earphones such as the DN 1000, DN 2000, and at the time of writing this, the DN2000J seems to be following suit with it’s predecessors.
    So when I heard of the release of the Titan 1s, I was very intrigued on how DUNU was going to replicate the success they had with their hybrid earphones in a 13 mm titanium coated dynamic driver, with a half in ear/earbud design.

We’ll lets find out! Before I begin I liked to thank DUNU for sending a sample of the Titan 1s out for an honest review. I am not paid for this review nor affiliated with DUNU.
    Below is my video review of the Dunu Titan 1s, if you enjoyed the video- please subscribe, like, and share + comment*

Titan 3: http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-titan-3/reviews/15085
    Titan 5: http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-titan-5/reviews/15084

[​IMG]

Accessories:
    The Titan 1s come with a nice array of accessories. They include:
    1. 1 hard shelled carrying case (with a rubber interior, for better protection for the earphones)
    2. 1 shirt clip
    3. 1 ¼ inch adapter
    4. In terms of eartips: *the eartips included I felt make the Titans 1 vary in tuning slightly.
      1. 3 sets of the black-multicoloured hybrid silicone eartips- darker & bassier
      2. 3 sets of the grey-red hybrid silicone eartips- most v shaped
      3. 3 pair of black wide bore silicone eartips most –most revealing, open forward*
    Overall: 9/10

The Titan 1 has a very clean and quite elegant design. I find its quite difficulty to pull off a silver metal housing design without looking gaudy. I believe that DUNU has pulled it off! The surface is has smooth finish, like well-polished chrome, exuding a premium feel. The right and left earpieces are easy distinguished with colored rim around the earpiece (L-Blue, R-Red).
    Overall: 8.5/10

Build Quality
    The Titans are just fantastic! They have a fully metal housing with an angle metal nozzle that feels a bit weighty in the hand, but just oozes quality. The earphones are nicely reinforced as whole. The top half of the cable has a rubber sheath that I found quite supple and flexible, while the bottom half of the cable is a fabric wrapped, for added durability.  The bottom half of the cable also comes attached with a cable management system (which I found very useful and quite unique) allowing the cables to be wrapped neatly into the hard shell carrying case. Lastly, as stated above, the L shape jack is elegantly built with a relatively slim body for easy entry into thicker smartphone cases, without any added bulk.
    Overall: 9/10

The Titans are very comfortable, as they can be easily inserted and removed effortlessly. They have a shallow insertion, so those sensitive to shoving things in to their ear, shouldn’t have any concerns over the Titans. The body of the housing is rather large, with a little edge where the front and back of the housing meet, so my ears did feel a small sore spot after 2 hours or so.  However, I would like it if the nozzle was just a bit longer, which would really make them disappear in my ears. (this can be alleviated with longer aftermarket eartips if needed).
    Overall: 8/10

This category is subject to debate, because it would depend on the environment you are intending to use the Titans. The Titan’s design has multiple vents (which helps with its acoustic properties) but as a result the isolation to be quite poor. I believe the Titan 1s was intended for use at home or in quiet neighborhoods, to allow for good situational awareness. This means that I wouldn’t recommend the Titans for noisy environments (ex busing, subway, noisy cafes)
    Overall:If you want to be isolated from the world- 5/10
    Overall: If you want to be aware of your surroundings- 9/10

Thankfully, the sound makes up for its lack of isolation, as the Titans 1s has quickly shot up the ranks with my top favorite earphones, the VSONIC GR07BE, Hifiman RE400. They are perfect for when I’m in the mood for some excitement, while still retaining a clean, open sound.
    *I was told the Titans improve after about 200hrs of burn in/ listening time- To my ear, I did not detect any changes compared to the “out of the box” sound of the Titans.*

Bass
    The Titan’s bass is slightly elevated in the midbass, but nowhere near enough what I considered basshead in terms of quantity, and remains very linear down low.. However, the bass is tight, fast with enough thickness to be very satisfying for bassy music, but not so much as to intrude into quieter passages. The bass has good extension down low, with enough visceral “grunt” to satisfy me.  The midbass has nice presence, and I feel it’s the good combination of quantity and quality (while creeping up a bit in the midrange, the thickness it provided was more then welcome (I prefer it), while remaining nicely balanced, and proportioned to the midrange and the treble.

Midrange
    The midrange is a bit thinner and drier in its presentation, however it retains good warmth to sound natural, while staying very clear as well.  I feel that the upper midrange can cause female vocals can sound a bit peaky at times (depending on the tip used)(This can be alleviated with the use of comply foam tips, I trialed the T-400s with very good results). However, once acclimated to the Titans, I miss the energy it brought when comparing to other earphones that have a dip in this region.

Treble
    The treble of the Titans is clean and crisp with very good resolution. The treble is well extended, refined with plenty of air, shimmer and detail. Again, the Titans are just good, clean fun.

Soundstage
    This aspect is definitely the Titan 1’s calling card, as the soundstage is superb as it images well with a great sense of air and space, with great separation. The soundstage lends well for acoustic music for a nice sense of ambiance, while providing allowing EDM to run freely and effortlessly.

Compared to the VSONIC VSD5 ($60-70)
    The Dunu Titan 1 has a tighter bass, with a more refined treble, and the soundstage is more open and expansive, the midrange is also warmer.
    Firstly, the VSD5 has a stronger subbass, and on the other end, the treble is also less refined, and conveys a “splashier” presentation. VSD5 can come across as a bit analytical compared to the Titan 1s because of the cooler presentation in the midrange.
    On the other hand, the VSD5 provides much better isolation than the DUNU, so I feel the VSD5 would be better suited in noisier applications.

Comparing them to the Hifiman RE400 (retail $99. Now ~$79)
    I felt that Titan 1s are more interesting to listen to. The Titan 1 has a more elevated bass, and the treble was more textured and detailed. The RE400s treble seems “grainer” and less clean.
    That said the RE400s are a smoother listen overall, with a more midforward sound. The upper mids don’t have that “edge” that the Titan 1s exhibits, which makes the midrange “thinner” sounding. It has a more centred imaging which some may prefer whereas the Titans could be attributed as “disperse”.  I find I could fall asleep listening to the RE400s over the Titan 1s. (though its nowhere near as well built as the Titan 1s).

Comparing to the GR07Be (retail $179.99. now ~$120)
    The Gr07BE has is tighter in the bass with a slightly more pronounced subbass and fuller in comparison.  Where as on the Titan 1s, there seems to be more emphasis on the midbass, allowing for more solid weight and punch while retaining a good control as well.
    The upper mids on the Titan 1s have a more emphasis then the GR07BE, so this may result in some detractors finding them a bit harsh for female vocals and cymbals, but it retains great clarity despite this.Comparing the treble, the Gr07BE have a thinner “papery” texture to the treble, where as the Titan 1s have a bit more of a “metallic shimmer”. In terms of soundstage, I find the Titans to be more expansive, and better at portraying depth than the GR07BE.
    Overall: 9.5/10

Conclusion
    While I can’t say that the Titans 1s are made for everyone. They are not for those looking to isolate themselves from the outside world, nor are they for those sensitive to emphasized upper mids- lower treble, which can be a bit bright for some.

However, for everyone else, I can’t think of a better earphone bring the same level of a bit of excitement and energy, while still remaining very clean and articulate as well. Added with the fact that they have superb build quality, with a comfortable fit that can slip in and out of my ears easily. This makes the Titans 1 easily one of my go to earphone, a earphone that can compete toe to toe the likes of VSonic Gr07BE and Hifiman RE400, and that’s a great place to be! Superb Job Dunu!

Final Score:
    Those seeking more isolation: 49/60=81.7%
    Those wanting less isolation: 53/60= 88.3%
    2. Tom22
      @H20Fidelity thank you very much! I enjoy making them! still working on my video editing skills (which a year or so ago, was non- existent).
      Tom22, Jun 7, 2015
    3. Tom22
      @DJScope thank you!!

@getclikinagas thank you, I certainly hopes so! my writing definitely could use work!
      Tom22, Jun 7, 2015
    4. Decommo
      @Tom22 Great Review and I found your review from Amazon. I am keen to purchase either Titan 1 or DN 2000. Which one do you think is better? i am mainly listening Accoustic, female vocal, Hard-Rock and Electronics. I do not listen classical. Noise isolation is not major concern since I will be using mainly at home. Look forward to hear your thoughts. Thank you.
      Decommo, Jan 25, 2016
  6. Paulus XII
    Dunu Titan 1 (or FiiO EX1) Quick Review - A True Gem
    Written by Paulus XII
    Published May 28, 2015
    Pros - Micro-detail, transparency, instrument separation. Semi-open, soundstage. Treble. Price.
    Cons - Leakage. Sensivity (90db), does not work for European volume cap players (volume is too low) without an external amp.

DunuTITAN1IV.jpg

Cable Length: 1.2m
    Plug: 3.5mm Stere Mini
    Weight: 18g

A word: detail.

First of all I've had so many well known 3 driver IEMs, as well as a 4 driver IEM (along with other "top-tier" dynamic drivers like the Sony EX1000 for eg.) that I don't usually get easily impressed by low/mid-end IEMs. Well, these have totally changed my view of things.

Bass is tight and articulated (but not basshead levels), excelent definition and texture, very clean, sub-bass goes deep, I can hear it as low as 15Hz and even feel it vibrating at 10Hz, just the right quantity without bleeding into the upper regions, highs are very detailed and sparkly with great extension, this is the best part of this IEM for me, sparkle is really something I missed with the W40's and FX700 for a while, mids are so clean and clear, exceptional transparency, they provide one of the most clear vocals I've heard, both male and female.  What else can I say? At this point and after proper A/B I can say for sure that they outclass my 500€ Westone W40 in so many aspects. Detail-retrieval/micro-detail is excelent, we're talking spades of details here, they have amazing clarity, way above W40, transparency/brightness (W40's darker), treble sparkle, impressive instrument separation, air between instruments and "ultra-wide" soundstage, airiness/delicacy, astonishing treble. When I A/B to W40 in most tracks I've tested, W40's sound muddy in comparison, which was quite a surprise. There's micro-details I can detect on Titans, that are masked with the W40s. Not they're not there, but not with that transparency. Music sounds more alive and cleaner with the Titan 1. Watching movies is a totally new experience with IEMs due to the transparency that W40 do not have due to its warm and dark signature (too much after listening to Titan 1). Vocals come up super clean and clear and all the sounds in the background are crisp and clear, oh-so-natural, unlike the W40s that sound dark and somewhat veiled. Dynamic expression and PRaT are very good as a result. I'm enjoying songs I didn't care about with the W40's.

Due to this transparency and precision, instrument separation is more palpable than W40 as you have a better perception of the instruments that surround you in the almost "holographic" soundstage. A result of them being semi-open as well. W40 being darker, doesn't show all the micro-details Titan's do, or at least not with such transparency. This gives Titan 1 a great advantage right here over a 400€ more expensive IEM. I'm insisting on Westone W40 as we are talking about a 4 driver 500€ IEM from a 50 year old company vs a new single dynamic driver 120€ IEM that sounds like a "top-tier". The secret seems to rely under the "Aerospace Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm" and obviously, the engineering. The size of the driver (13mm) also helps with dynamic range.

THE MOD: To satisfy my basshead needs, I had to cover 2 venting holes (of 12) with tape and this turned them into a bass heavy IEM. So try as many combinations of tips as you can (large lite blue bore ones seems to be the best), try them over the ear, etc. This IEM can be pleasantly bassy with a proper seal. 2 ports covered with tape is the sweet spot too after much experimentation with venting holes, if you want more bass. Mids come up a bit more forward too. Some that have tried this say they sound more balanced, much better than before. For me, personally, there's no comparison. Even sub-bass benefits from this mod and the mids alone justify the mod as they can sound a bit recessed sometimes. So, more bass (still not basshead levels, nor intrusive into the mids), more intimate vocals.

A word about isolation: Wearing them over the ear (swapping channels) and with the right tips, I can't hear much noise outdoors when listening to music. And talking about semi-open, they sound like an open full size can. Leakage can be a problem, people hear what you're listening to at 1 meter or so. And they even recognize the band (like happened to me today. "You are listening to Evanescence. Love that band". I was perplexed. lol).

Just a note about the treble: I'm a treble-head, this does not affect me, but Titans have alot of treble quantity (above average), so the ones sensitive to treble might need to EQ it down a bit. I don't notice any sign of sibilance but a few others do ocasionaly, especially with bad mastered or too compressed tracks, its probably because 95% of my music is FLAC. But I much welcome this treble since it's the first time treble in a IEM sounds like a speaker.

So is this IEM for me? It depends of your sound sig preference. Titan 1 is a detail monster with great bass (but not basshead levels), they sound spacious, "3-dimensional" and alive, with a great sense of fidelity across the whole spectrum. Treble is its strongest point. If this is your coup of tea, so yes, these are for you. If you prefer a warm, mid-centric and dark IEM like the SM3 or the W40, these are the opposite. But in terms of micro-detail, clarity and transparency, Titan 1 trumps both. They sound crystal clear and resolving, with sparkly, airy and exciting treble, clear mids and thick, tight bass.

Conclusion: Coming from W3, UM3X, SM3, Sony EX1000, JVC FX700, W40 and so many others, I dare to say the Dunu Titan 1 is absolutely one of the best sounding IEMs I have ever tried, being the transparency and delicacy the main reasons, besides all that I've mentioned above. All in all, a true gem in my vast collection and the one I'll be using many times for sure. Titan 1 competes with and trumps many of the so called "top-tiers" and this means alot to me. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

My congratulations to Dunu for making something so special and unique at a price most can afford.

Have a look at golden-ear.net for more reviews, news and ratings
    2. wasad4
      No, what I meant was between the dunu titan 1 and the rha-ma750, who comes out on top? xD
      wasad4, Aug 3, 2015
    3. Paulus XII
      Sorry for the confusion. Titan 1 hands down.
      Paulus XII, Aug 3, 2015
    4. wasad4
      No problem, thanks for the help!
      wasad4, Aug 3, 2015
  7. DJScope
    “Unique, refined, balanced and spacious!”
    Written by DJScope
    Published May 20, 2015
    Pros - Build, balanced, fun sounding, comfort, price to performance ratio, protective box.
    Cons - No mic remote, cable a bit thin, not designed to wear cable up
    Disclaimer: I did not purchase the Dunu Titan 1. I've had 2 months with them and believe I have had enough time to adequately review the Titans in depth. But of course, these are my personal opinions so please take them with a grain of salt, or two.

Introduction

I first heard about the Dunu Titan 1 from @H20Fidelity. He told me, and I quote “Dunu Titan is the go.” Hype for the Titans grew really fast! The more I read the reviews and impression the more I needed to get my hands on them, so I contacted Dunu directly to get me a pair. Boy was everyone right! Let’s find out why…

A little about the Dunu Titan 1

13mm Titanium Dynamic Driver
    Weight​
    18 grams

FR Graph

Thanks to Mr. Tyll Hertsens for measuring these wonderful headphones!
    Follow this like to get more of the measurements of the Titans.

FRGraph.png

Packaging & Accesories

The Titans come in a medium sized box; dimensions are 13cm x 17cm x 5cm. It’s very well presented. On the front you are shown exactly what you a purchasing. Everything is well contrasted, bright writing on black background: everything stands out very well. You get all the relevant information in different languages. Very nice.
    Under the front flap there is some background information about the Titans, including the frequency response diagram to show you what they’re trying to target and what difference a titanium driver makes compared to a standard driver unit.
    They also included a little plug for a Ukrainian band called “Max Barski”. Quite the coincidence since I was born in Ukraine.
    Behind the little window you’ll see the beautifully designed housings of the Titans. Open the door and you are presented with 3 pairs of what looks like Sony hybrid silicone ear tips and a wonderful protective box. I must say that this is by far the best protective box I’ve seen to date that comes free with an IEM at this price. It’s made of hard plastic and has a sturdy locking mechanism to keep your already heavy duty looking earphone in tip-top shape so you can chuck them in your bag without any worries what so ever.
    Additionally, underneath the plastic holder you get another 6 pairs of ear tips: different colours and styles of more of the Sony hybrid “clone” tips and a set of standard black tips, a shirt clip, and a 3.5mm (1/8”) to 6.3mm (1/4”) gold plated adapter. And of course, you get a warranty card which also has a maintenance log for all your warranty claims.

Design & Comfort

The design of the Titans is very robust, futuristic and industrial. The housing looks to me like it is machined from a single piece of aluminium. It’s quite a funny design because from day one my wife called them the UFO earphones, and that’s what I’ve been calling them because of its strange “flying saucer” shaped design that integrates the design principles of both earbuds and in-ear monitors. Strange it may be, but looks may be deceiving, and that’s exactly the case here; they’re some of the most comfortable cable down earphones that I’ve had the pleasure of putting in my ears. Yes! They are very comfortable, which is surprising for a metal ear piece sitting in your ear. Unfortunately they’re not designed for wearing over the ear, which is a bit of a bummer, but because they’re so comfortable wearing down, and they stay in like glue with the correct tips, that the thought of wearing them over the ear goes away very quickly.
    The housing sports 11 port holes on the housing and 7 holes on the nozzle. In my humble opinion this is a double edged sword. On one hand it means that less dirty will make its way inside the housing, but on the other hand it means that if debris does indeed get inside, good luck cleaning it out. But despite all that, I personally think that it makes the unit look a tonne more badass and industrial.

Cable, Jack & Splitter

The cable here is brilliant! I don’t know what they’ve done with it, but it just does not tangle. I can wrap it into a ball, chuck it in my pocket and after going to my destination, pull the clump of wire out, hold one wire and pull on another, and in most cases, the cable will just twist, turn and unravel itself like magic. It maybe the fact that the cable is made from 2 different materials. The cable from the jack to the Y-splitter has a fabric sleeve and the ear piece cable is a supple but dense and smooth rubber. Overall the cable feels very sturdy, though it looks quite thin. I would say that the cable is very much like the Xiaomi Pistons 2.0.
    This is where I go on to say, “WHY U NO REMOTE???” I really do think that the Titans would be THAT much better if it had a mic and remote for mobile phones. We live in the 21st century people!!!
    The jack is a very nice machined aluminium cylinder which feels amazing in the hand. The strain relief looks very sturdy and overkill, but that’s very welcomed in my books. The jack has a unique serial number on it, which is also a very nice touch.
    The Y-splitter is also a cylinder and looks very much like the jack housing that’s a smaller diameter. It sports the Dunu Titan 1 logo. Bottom of the spitter is a smallish strain relief and above is an indent where the neck cinch fits perfectly inside. My only gripe with this is that the neck cinch moves freely up and down. It would’ve been nicer if the connection here was either a slight interference fit or a twist lock of some sort. Of course, nothing is 100% perfect.

There is none! Moving on…

But serious, the Titans are the epitome of open design IEMs. They leak everything out and let all the sound in. So much so that my co-worker can tell me exactly what song I’m listening and which part of the song I’m up to, and he sits about 8-9m (26-27 feet) away from me. This isn’t always a downside because when I use earphones outside I dislike the fact the I cannot hear the traffic or what is going on around me and have to keep my volume down to do so. Not with the Titans, I can ramp the volume up to enjoyable levels and still hear everything from my surroundings. This would be perfect for cyclists and people who love to go for a jog or run.

I can describe the Titans sound signature with many words, some that come from the top of my head are: fun, balanced, engaging, spacious, coherent and full. The tonal balance is very interesting as its balance is not through the whole spectrum but at all the correct areas; having peaks in areas and not many dips that take away from the enjoyment and clarity of the music. For some tracks it sounds warm and on others it sounds cold, and on an occasion it’s a mixture of both. Detail retrieval is also very good and coupled with it's good staging and layering makes for some great critical listening.

Treble

The treble is indeed a little peaky and has track induced sibilance. It's not a sibilant earphone in itself but can get there with some pieces of music. I think this is inherited from the titanium driver. The Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 with its beryllium coated driver has this characteristic as well. But on the case of the Titan, the peakiness is not located in one area of the mid/lower treble; it extends far and well up without getting too sibilant or metallic. Here be airiness and sparkle, and there is plenty of it. A very enjoyable listen indeed. The only issue I have with this is that it does get a little bit fatiguing after a couple of hours of non-stop listening.

Mids

Balance! The Titans do seem to have a little bit of a boost in the mids, and it’s very welcomed. It’s accompanied by both treble and mid/upper bass to give you a very natural vocal and acoustic experience. There is still a vocal track that I need to find that sounds bad with the Titans. Male vocals are full, clear and alive, and female vocals shine and sing.

Bass

It is a little elevated in the mid bass region, but not a lot, and it doesn’t leak or overwhelm the mids at all. It’s not linear but is more balanced then most fun sounding IEMs. It extends quite low and stays impactful and coherent with good speed.

Soundstage & Imaging

It’s like listening to a concert in your head. The imaging is very accurate and has lots of layering to boot. Coupled with the above average soundstage width and depth, it evokes some really immersive listening. It’s not as wide or deep as the Havi B3 Pro 1 but that’s actually a good thing; the Havi being a little distant at times makes the listening laid back and in the background, but the Titans make it a “here and now” kind of “party in your head” type of listening. It makes you want to put your hands up, stand up and join the party. Yes, it’s like that.

Ratings

As Head-Fi doesn't properly show the ratings, this is how I've scored the Titans:

ratings.png

IMG_5613.jpg

IMG_5625.jpg

IMG_5626.jpg
    IMG_5629.jpg

Conclusion

I don’t know how Dunu come up with such great ideas, but they continue to push the boundaries and with the Titan 1 they’ve hit it straight out of the park. For the price of $115 (current PenonAudio price) this is a complete no-brainer purchase. The Titans are my automatic go to suggestion for people who look for an IEM under $150, and if you’re in the market under this budget, what are you still doing reading this review when you could be out there buying these right now? They are really a remarkable IEM for this low price. Well done Dunu!

Cheers!
     [​IMG]

2. DJScope
      Update: Photos are up!
      DJScope, May 24, 2015
    3. Light - Man
      Good review! I wonder how they will compare to the new Fidue 73.
      Light - Man, May 25, 2015
    4. DJScope
      @Light - Man I'm more interested in the Fidue A65 which is also a titanium driver unit for half the price!
      DJScope, May 25, 2015
  8. TwinACStacks
    Titan is truly a Titan
    Written by TwinACStacks
    Published Apr 30, 2015
    Pros - Great Bass, overall a surprisingly spacious presentation
    Cons - If it only had detachable Cables.
    Since receiving this pair they have rapidly become my Goto's I really can't think of anything Bad to say about them. I can see where some could find them a little bright (silibant ?) depending on tip selection. Fortunately I'm not bothered by Treble frequencies. Easily inserted into ear, Great cable with cloth sheathing on lower portion. I find these outstanding at most any price point particularly for their +- apprx. $100 USD cost. Not the best isolation but I have no problem with it.
      JAMEZTHEBOI likes this.
  9. Hisoundfi
    "Remember the Titan" ~The DUNU Titan 1 In-Ear Monitor
    Written by Hisoundfi
    Published Apr 3, 2015
    Pros - Incredible resolution and clarity, Unbelievable price to performance ratio, Great build quality
    Cons - Below average isolation, Channels have to be swapped to be worn over the ear
    At the time this review was written, the Dunu Titan 1  was on sale for $115.00 USD on Penon Audio . Here is a link to a listing of their product at the time of the review:

Introduction

The Titan 1 is already making waves on Head-Fi at the time I am writing this. I became interested in it  when some of my respected Head-Fi friends could not stop raving about them. After hearing the endless praise they were receiving, I knew I had to get my hands (and ears) on a pair and experience them for myself. They did not disappoint!

Disclaimer

My pair were purchased online from a group purchasing site. I am providing a review for the sole purpose of giving this terrific IEM the exposure it deserves.

My Background

Please allow me to share a little bit about myself so you can better understand my observations. I AM NOT a numbers and graphs audiophile or sound engineer. Personal audio enthusiast? Absolutely! Headphone junkie? Possibly…

There’s something about quality DAPs, DACs, amplifiers and earphones that intrigues me, ESPECIALLY if they can be had for low prices. I’m a budget-fi guy. I will buy the $5 to $500 earphone that looks promising, in hopes that I will can discover that one new gem that can compete with the big names in this industry. If you look at my Head-Fi profile you will see that I have purchased many, and I mean MANY different headphones and earphones ranging from from dirt cheap to hundreds of dollars higher end products. For me, its more about getting great price to performance ratio, and hearing a variety of different gears with varying builds and sound. With this hobby we tend to often times pay a lot of money for minor upgrades. One thing I’ve learned over the years is that price DOES NOT necessarily indicate good build and sound quality.

I’m always looking for great audio at a great price. I’m after headphones and IEMs that give me the “WOW” factor. I can appreciate different builds and sound signatures as long as they are ergonomic, and the sound is pleasing to the ear. It is my pleasure to share my experiences with audio products and make recommendations based gear I have tested and reviewed.

The Package

The Titan one came in a very simple medium sized black box with white and gray lettering and a close up of the monitors on the front.

DSC_0004.jpg

The back of the box had some nice information about the product, as well as pictures and descriptions of the accessories. The sides of the box had the item’s specifications.

DSC_0005.jpg

Opening the box revealed information about the product’s technological advancements and the benefits of it’s nano class diaphragm, as well as a graph showing the difference between itself and a conventional driver. A second flap had information about Max Barsky and his accomplishments as a musician.

DSC_0007.jpg

Opening the second flap revealed the IEMs, three sets of tips, and the carrying case.

DSC_0008.jpg

Specs

Driver:          Titanium 13 mm dynamic
    Frequency Range:     20Hz~30Khz
    Impedance:         16 Ohm
    Sensitivity:         90 +- 2dB
    Rated Input Power:    Not Listed
    Plug:             3.5mm gold plated (right angled plug)
    Cable:             1.2 meter cable
    Weight:         18 grams

Extra Accessories

The accessories package was very nice, offering everything you would need and nothing you don’t. There was a large selection of tips, including my personal favorite Sony-esque hybrids. The rubber and hard plastic container that had a nice locking mechanism and release button. It is very solid and a great home for the Titan when not in use. The only issue I can see with the case is that if you take off the “screen protector” material on the top of the case it is prone to scratches (not a big deal). You also get a ¼ adapter that is of the utmost quality.

DSC_0014.jpg

The Titan 1 comes with 9 pairs of tips:

3x Sony Hybrid-like silicone tips (sizes S,M,L)
    3X black silicone tips with a wider bore and flat end (sizes S,M,L)
    3X black/red silicone tips with a rounded end (sizes S,M,L)

DSC_0011.jpg

There are plenty of tips for just about everyone to get a secure fit and seal.

Housings

The housings are very impressively built out of polished metal (looks to be stainless steel). There isn’t a single piece of plastic on the housing. Even the screen/port at the end of the hozzle is a part of the housing, with 7 drilled holes for sound to come through. This is unique, and a very cool approach in my opinion. The housings each have a colored ring to indicate which channel is which (red/right, blue/left). There are several vent holes drilled in the inside of the housing where it rests in your ear. DUNU logos can be seen both on the inner and outer part of the shell.

DSC_0017.jpg DSC_0016.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg

Cable, Y-Split & Strain Reliefs

From the housing to the Y-split, the cable is typical rubber material used with most earphones at this price point. Strain reliefs from the housing are perfect in my opinion, with enough strength to keep everything in tact, and enough flex to prevent shorts in the wire.

The Y-split is made of the same polished metal as the housing, and just above it is a cable cinch of the same metal material. The cable cinch has a notch milled so it can fit right into the Y-split when not in use.

DSC_0021.jpg

From the Y-split to the cable jack, the cable has been covered in a kevlar or kevlar-like material. The cable in it’s entirety is very flexible and with little to no memory. Also, a nice bonus is the rubber cable tie that is attached to the cable. It make winding these things up a breeze. It is a very nice touch.

Cable Jack

The cable jack is the same polished metal used in the housing and Y-split. The Titan 1 sports a ninety degree angled, and gold plated 3.5mm plug. the strain relief at the jack is one of the most well done strain reliefs I’ve seen. I don’t see anything shorting out here, or anywhere on the cable for that manner (if handled correctly).

DSC_0022.jpg

Ergonomics, Fit and Microphonics

Think of a earbud with a angled hozzle coming out of it to make it an in-ear monitor. That is exactly what the Titan 1 is. That is really clever if you ask me, because you are using the whole ear to support the fit, making it not only very comfortable, but also a very secure under the ear fit. Well done DUNU! I normally am not a fan of in-ears that are designed to be worn cable down, but they really hit a home run with this concept! The Titan 1 can also be worn over the ear by swapping channels. If you don’t mind swapping channels it works extremely well.

Worn cable down, you do get some microphonics. When worn over the ear, microphonics is reduced significantly.

DSC_0024.jpg DSC_0023.jpg

Because of the venting design the Titan does not isolate very well, and leaks sound more than your average in-ear monitor.

Review Materials

I primarily did my demo with my usual gear. I used an LG-G3 with the latest firmware, and Sony Walkman F806/Cayin C5 amplifier for portable use. For desktop use I used my Toshiba Satellite Laptop in combination with a HIFIMEDIY Sabre ES9023 USB DAC/Bravo Audio Ocean Tube amplifier with a Mullard 12AU7 tube for higher impedance, and a Fiio E18 USB DAC & Amplifier. Both were run at 24 bit, 96000 Hz. I also tested them with other DAPs and amplifiers as well. I used Google Music downloaded in its highest download quality (320 KBPS) and I also streamed FLAC via Tidal streaming service. I make sure that any gear I test has a minimum of 30 hours of play time before writing any type of review.

I used my usual same songs for testing gear:

“Limit to your love” by James Blake
    “One” by Ed Sheeran
    “Outlands” from the Tron Legacy Soundtrack
    “Sultans of swing” by Dire Straits
    “Ten thousand fists” by Disturbed

Note: Other tracks were used, but the listed songs were primarily used to asses and break down the gear’s response.

Sound Signature

Ahhhhhhh, now we get to the good part! These are great! It’s an aggressive, up front and in your face sound that is really addictive. Right out of the box they seemed a bit hot up top. Whether it be burn-in or time to adjust, I now find the treble to be just right and in accordance with the rest of the spectrum of sound. With the Titan 1, you get a slight V-signature with some of the best resolution and separation you can get in an IEM. The sound quality of these competes with everything I have, and will give many in-ear monitors at a much higher price range a run for their money.

Bass

The bass is forward on these. When running test sweeps I noticed a slight roll-off at sub-bass regions, especially from 10 Hz to about 40-50 Hz, but from there it takes off. The mid bass region definitely does jump out in front, but it is done with NO noticeable bleed. Trust me, you will get plenty of bass response, and mid bass and lower mids will have plenty of weight and punch. It really sets itself apart in how it handles midbass frequencies. To have that forward presentation and still be very resolving is seldom executed with in-ear monitors.

Mid Range

Mid range is something that is a mixed bag with the Titan, and something that makes this pair special. It takes a small step back from the bass and treble. Starting from the lower midrange, you will hear a very thick note presentation with a good amount of warmth and texture. However, as you listen and span across you will notice it going from very warm and lush lower midrange frequencies, and progressively get a little cooler and crisper sounding moving up to the upper mids and treble area. It is a smooth transition, and all the while it maintains a sense of clarity and separation that is world class.

Treble

It is crisp and very clear. If the Titan 1 didn’t have the awesome resolution it does, I would say the treble can be harsh, but because you can make out every high hat and cymbal crash with incredible accuracy, it is a joy to listen to. I enjoy the Titan 1 at medium listening levels. listening to them at loud volumes for too long leads to fatigue for me. All in all it’s a very high resolution monitor that has a beautiful shimmer and sparkle in it’s upper registers.

Soundstage and Imaging

This is a hard one to draw a conclusion on. In one sense, they sound “big”, but at the same time the forward mid bass can make you feel like they are not as open or airy as other in-ears. The best way I can explain is that it’s a “front row at the show” type of sound.

Music Recommendations

I think these are great for all genres, but will sound best with live performances, acoustic and rock music.

Comparisons

GR07BE ($125 to $150 USD on many sites)

Bass extension and response on the GR07BE is superior, and for an in-ear monitor it still amazes me to this day. But, the buck stops here for the VSONIC. Titan 1 has more energy to it’s tuning, and their amazing resolution, texture and detail in both mids and treble regions makes the GR07BE seem dull and lifeless in comparison. All in all, the GR07BE is outclassed by the Titan 1. That is saying a lot!

T-PEOS Altone 200 ($175 to $200 USD on many sites)

The Altone 200 can hang with the Titan 1 in terms of clarity, but the highs are harsher and more fatiguing. Titan is smoother, and has a more textured and open feeling to it’s sound, making the T-PEOS offering seem slightly congested in comparison. Both are good, but in my opinion the Titan sounds just as good, if not better at half the price.

Ostry KC06A ($55 to $85 USD on many sites)

The KC06A packs a great package with plenty of sub bass rumble and a nice treble response, but the Titan mid range outclasses the Ostry. In this comparison the trade off between the two is sub bass (advantage Ostry) and crystal clear midrange (Titan 1). I give the advantage to the Titan 1 because the quality mid range makes the sound more cohesive.

Conclusion

The Titan 1 is a perfect example that you don’t need several drivers packed into a custom shell and at the cost of a mortgage payment in order to create world class sound. These are a refreshing approach that brings something unique to the table, both in terms of build and sound quality. Upon concluding this review, I rank this earphone second in my in-ear collection, just barely behind the Fidue A83. Dunu did a stellar job with this one, and at a price that is almost too good to be true. I highly recommend them!

Thanks for reading and happy listening!
      leobigfield, Brooko, peter123 and 2 others like this.
    1. twister6
      Who can forget the Titan :)  Excellent review, my friend!!!  Always enjoy your write ups!
      twister6, Apr 3, 2015
    2. leobigfield
      Very nice review!
      leobigfield, Apr 3, 2015
    3. Paulus XII
      If Titan 1 is "just barely behind the Fidue A83", why would you take A73 "hands down" over Titan 1? Sounds like A73 is better than A83. Is this what you think?
      Paulus XII, Jun 22, 2015
  10. peter123
    DUNU Titan 1, premium everything!
    Written by peter123
    Published Feb 22, 2015
    Pros - Great sound and ergonomics, excellent value
    Cons - Sound leakage and isolation is less than average
    First of all I'd like to thank DUNU and Vivian for giving me a chance to check out the DUNU Titan 1 in ear earphone.

Built and accessories:
    DUNU didn’t fall for the temptation to keep package and accessories cheap on this offering. Everything from the retail package to the shirt clip and the storage box feels premium. DUNU also included a 3,5 mm to 6,3 mm adapter and 9 pairs of silicon tips. That being said I didn’t get the best sound with any of the included tips but find the perfect match with the tips from the Sony MH1C.

IMG_2045.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

The Titan 1 is a semi open design giving them a great soundstage but also less than average isolation and more than average sound leakage.

The Titan 1 is easy to drive and works great out of portable devices.

The design of the Titan 1 is, as already mentioned, semi open and it uses a single 13mm titanium coated dynamic driver. Housings are all metal and also feel very well built.

The cable is clothed from the y-split and down and microphonics is about average. The cable also feels premium as a whole and offers a well designed y-split, chin slider and great strain reliefs both at the housings as well as on the end with the L-shaped 3,5mm connector.

The fit of the Titan 1 is pretty shallow due to its design but I find them to be very comfortable and I’ve had no problem wearing them for several hours continuously.

IMG_2074.jpg

Impedance:16Ω
    Frequency Range: 20Hz - 30kHz
    Plug: 3.5mm stereo plug
    Weight:18g

I've let them play for over 200 hours and I've used them while travelling, while working out, at the office and at home and I've not found any weaknesses to the way they're constructed. I've been using them with my Xperia Z3Compact phone, FiiO X3 dap (with and without amp) and with my Geek Out720 playing music from my computer. As already mentioned isolation and sound leakage is a challenge with the Titan 1 but I’ve used them both in the gym as well as on some shorter flights without having people looking strange at me.

For this review I've used the DUNU Titan 1 paired with my HTC One M7 feeding my Audioquest Dragonfly dac/amp.

The sound of the Titan 1 feels well balanced with a slight emphasis in the bass region. The soundstage is wider than average for an IEM and the depth is also excellent. I wouldn’t describe the Titan 1 as neither warm nor bright sounding but find it rather neutral and, as already mentioned, very well balanced. It also offers great clarity as well as very good separation and imaging.

Both the bass and treble extension is very nice and balances on the verge on what I prefer in both ends. The mid bass is very well controlled and never do they feel overly boomy but they certainly do not feel thin either. If the recording has sibilance in it there’s a big chance that the Titan 1 will let you hear it but playing around with different tips will help eliminate this.

I find the Titan 1 sounding great with all kinds of different music but it certainly excels with female singers such as Eva Cassidy, Norah Jones, Ane Brun etc.

Comparison:

IMG_2083.jpg

DUNU Titan 1 ($115) vs Audio-Technica CKR-10 ($240):
    The Titan 1 and CKR-10 are both easy to drive but both also scale well with a better source.

The CKR-10 has a more intimate sound signature and while the Titan 1’s keep up with them on female voices the CKR-10’s, being fuller and warmer, makes male voices sound more natural. The CKR-10’s are warmer, fuller, smother and has better soundstage depth but less width. The CKR-10’s also has slightly more sub bass extension, more mid bass and better layering in the bass region.

DUNU Titan 1 ($115) vs Havi B3 Pro 1 ($59):
    The B3 Pro 1 needs a lot more power than the Titan 1 to perform its best.

The B3’s has slightly less mid bass and significantly less sub bass impact. Soundstage is about similar in width but the better bass extension on the Titan 1 makes the depth feel better on them. The B3’s sounds overall thinner with less clarity.

DUNU Titan 1 ($115) vs Philips Fidelio S2 ($99):
    The Titan 1 and S2 are both similar in power requirement and both scales nicely with a better and more powerful source.

The Fidelio S2’s share a lot of the design with the Titan 1 and they both present a pretty balanced sound with an extra lift in the bass region. The S2 has slightly less bass impact (especially sub bass) and a smaller soundstage while the treble on both are very similar. The S2 feels slightly congested compared to the Titan 1’s and also lose out in clarity.

Summary:
    The DUNU Titan 1 is an excellent in ear earphone that rivals or surpasses the best IEM’s I’ve ever heard before. It sounds great with all kind of music and accessories and built quality is top notch. In all this is a very solid offering and at the $115 price tag it’s an easy recommendation.
    2. RedJohn456
      Great Review Peter, and I really appreciated the fleshed out comparison section!
      RedJohn456, Feb 22, 2015
    3. peter123
      Thank you guys, I really appreciate the support!

@drbluenewmexico I'm using CM11 ROM on my HTC and with apps like UAPP or Hibymusic it's able to output digital signal through USB, hope this helps.
      peter123, Feb 23, 2015
    4. yangian
      Hi, Peter, so can you say titan is more 3D than Havi or very similar? Thanks.
      yangian, Mar 5, 2015