Denon AH-D600

Average User Rating:
4.0625/5,
  1. Shike
    "Fun and engaging"
    Pros - Musical bass, high separation for closed can, sparkly treble without fatigue, looks, removable cable, imaging
    Cons - High MSRP, bass slant may be too much for some, weight, not suited for small heads.
    I went into a local business that had these on display, and after trying them I decided I enjoyed them more than enough to get them . . . assuming I could get them substantially under MSRP which I did.  Let's get started on the good, the bad, and ugly.

Good:

Very easy to drive, you won't need an absurdly powerful amp to drive these and get the best they offer.  The bass is strong and punchy while avoiding one note syndrome, listening to Red Hot Chili Peppers with these is an absolute joy.  I've found these place emphasis on the bass, but tend to avoid messing up the mid-bass drastically leaving vocals mostly unaffected for music I've played with it.  Of course electronic and metal has also benefited from this.  One would expect the treble to suffer, but it's one of the first cans that I've found with an enjoyable sparkle that is non-fatiguing.  The treble strikes me as more present than my K702s.

Build quality seems reasonable.  The cable is removable which is always a good sign.

The style is very modern.  It will obviously resemble Beats some, but the leather pad stitching and white accents adds very distinctive flair.

Very comfortable, especially for those with large heads.  I have a XXL head according to my hat size, and I'm only a couple notches or so out on each side.

Bad:

On sound I discussed the bass and treble some.  With how the headphones are tuned it seems to thrown the balance off some.  While separation is good and everything still sounds coherent, the mid-range tends to sound smooth without any emphasis in its own right.  Depending on what you tend to focus on when you listen to music, the bass and treble may come off as merely distracting from the rest.  I feel it captures a more "live" sound for what it's worth - but it's worth watching for.

The weight of these cans can take getting used to.  I have a pair of Monitor 10's at this time, and the weight is around that territory.  For a plastic can this comes off as unexpected, but it seems that the weight was increased to help increase reliability all around.

Not particularly portable, the size of the cans and the above pretty much shows why.

Ugly:

Those with small heads likely need not apply.  This can seems to be distinctively made for those with medium to XXL heads.

MSRP too high for regular purchase.  The D5K justified its price a bit more due to its reference qualities, as a fun can this justifies about ~60% its asking price.  I'd only purchase this after having experience with real reference cans and knowing exactly what you're looking for and enjoy in a "fun" can.
    gbauder likes this.
  2. Marcosro
    2.5/5,
    "Not a fan of these."
    Pros - The packaging...
    Cons - Heavy, Ear pads feel sticky, Too much bass
    I am coming from the ATH-M50s and was looking to move up in the headphone game. At first I was going to move up to the HE-400, but could no longer afford them so I settle for these at a price of $270. I am not a fan when I found my self comparing these with my $30 gaming headphones and not being impressed at all when switching to these. Maybe someone else will be happy with these.
  3. HideousPride
    "A Guilty Pleasure at a Reasonable Price"
    Pros - Comfort, solid build, not fatiguing, fun!
    Cons - MSRP $$$, Earpads can get heated, weighty - not suitable for portable use as Denon intended
    Bought these used off the FS forums. I had been interested in these since release, but due to negative reviews did not think it was worth pulling the trigger when they sold for $500. At the price I purchased them at, I am quite happy with them. So long as you know what you're getting, I believe the D600 is a headphone that pleases.

The lower end has a very significant hump that can sound exceptional with certain recordings. I've heard details in the bass on certain songs that I never heard before because it is so audible on the D600s compared to the rest of the frequency range. It also makes you want to groove when you listen to dance-ish songs. You can definitely put these on your to-buy list if you enjoy a good time with a colored sound and a bumped bass. Do not expect strings to sound sweet and rich - midrange/upper mids seem to be somewhat lacking on these headphones. They sound significantly further in the background on recordings than more neutral headphones like the Paradox present violins/violas/etc. Female vocals sound natural but slightly recessed.

They may not be power hungry, but respond very favorably to amplification. I find that driving them out of the Cowon J3 alone delivers a somewhat lacking sound. Adding a PA2V2 seemed to help tremendously. Classical, orchestral and a capella recordings are not unlistenable, but definitely are not a strength. They are significantly heavier than I had expected them to be from pictures! However, comfort is excellent so long as your ears don't get heated. Denon includes a 3 button cable that is clearly intended for use on the go, but I honestly doubt you'll want to take them outside for a walk. If not because of the heat (sweaty ears are a blechy sitaution!), the weight alone will dissuade all but the most masochistic of headphone fans.

Probably the most interesting thing is how favorably the average music listener respond to these. I've given them to three coworkers of me, two males (Beats and Klipsch Image One users) who are absolutely bassheads with metal and rap, and a female who enjoys kpop. All three were thoroughly impressed by the D600 when I let them listen to them. Both males expressed an interest in purchasing a pair at the price I paid for them. The female, despite having listened to headphones I've brought to her such as the HD 800, the Paradox, and the LCD-2, believed these to be her favorite pair and the one with the best sound.

Overall, a reasonable purchase for bass lovers everywhere! If you have a chance to listen to them, do give it a go. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
  4. Lan647
    3.5/5,
    "Denon AH-D600"
    Pros - Extremely comfortable. Clear, engaging presentation. Easy to drive.
    Cons - Lack of coherency. Midbass resonance. Not the best choice for the MSRP. Design is maybe a bit dull?
    EDITED!

Picked these up for a special price after listening in store and liking what I heard very much. A clear, clean sound with a really fun bass response. A very different sound compared to my HD 800 and I liked the idea of a headphone that made you tap your feet.

First of all the Denon D600 is an extremely comfortable headphone. The pressure on the head is spot-on for a closed can and the well shaped, memory-foam earpads feel wonderful. Only a slight headband pressure and heat issues usually present with closed headphones keep them under a solid 5 on that one.

This is a fast, clear sounding headphone. They sound open and airy for a closed can, which I feel is their main accomplishment. The bass is very powerful and very well extended. It's not extremely tight though, compared to better (and some cheaper) headphones. It has a wobbling nature too it, which I think is because of a resonance in the upper bass. The bass - midrange transition sounds natural though (usually), unlike the flagship D7100.

The treble is a bit uneven. The lower treble is a bit recessed and the higher up they are a bit bright and sparkling. The treble doesn't sound muddy, closed in or piercing - which i absolutely hate. These seem to be tuned to moden music genres with what I hear as a U-shaped response.

It's a fun, vivid sound, but I can sometimes feel the midrange is slightly low in level compared to the somewhat bright treble and earth-shattering low end. Deep vocals easily get to bassy and the sound is just not as coherent as the D2/5/7k. They do sound cleaner than the D2k and D5k, but they are not very accurate.

Compared to a cheaper headphone, the Sennheiser Momentum (my current reference portable), the D600 midrange sounds thin and grainy in comparison. The midrange is also definitely thinner sounding than that of the D5000 and D7000.

This is a headphone for electronic music. While the bass is pretty well integrated into the midrange for a bass-heavy can (which I definitely think these are) and the speed and clarity of the sound are great, I do think you can get better for less money. $500 feels too much. Luckily, I paid significantly less than that, but I still feel my Momentum outperforms it in every way except for soundstage openness.

If anything these are fabulous movie watching cans thanks to the excellent comfort and deep, rumbling bass. If only the midrange could've been richer, the bass tighter and the treble a bit more balanced hey would make a great mid-range audiophile headphone as well, as I do think the clarity and speed are there. But as they are, I would rank them as a headphone for just rocking out, rather than for analytical listening. If you like your music slammin' without having to deal with a muddiness, they may be for you.

Oh and about the design? I'm not sure. They are not ugly headphones by any means but it's just impossible not to think of Beats or the Ludacris headphones hen you see the chassis, or the red storage box. On the plus side they feel solid (if somewhat plasticy) and look like they could take a fair amount of beating. I'm more and more liking the color-scheme and they do look cool on your head, even though they stick out a bit more than I would prefer.

The choice between a short, non-microphonic cable with remote and a longer, sturdier one for home use is a nice thing as well.

These do not need an amp, you can use them with a high-quality mobile source like the iPad or iPhone and not feel you're missing anything.

5. kenji458
    "Loving my D600s"
    Pros - Fun, Musical to listen. Smooth and detailed. Very comfy and non-fatigue headphones.
    Cons - Bass maybe boosted a tad too much. Ears get hot in hot weather (~33°C)

Here's my D600 out-of-box impressions.

Received only yesterday and paired with the ODAC/O2 as my laptop rig, the bass is the first thing that captures your attention. In some songs, like David Guetta's, the D600 would deliver great and deep bass, slightly more than HFi2400 even, IMO. However, the bass is always nicely controlled and tight, not intruding into the mids. The D600s have both ample quantity and quality bass, maybe boosted in the midbass IMO; but not overly emphasised.

The mids are fine and smooth, but sometimes they lack a bit a bit of volume especially if you have listened to mid-centric headphones; but overall are still smooth. Prefer the mids of my srh1840 in that relation.

Treble is clear and detailed, non-sibilant and non-fatigue.

Soundstage is deep and good separation. The Imaging is quite similar to that of HFi 2400s are known for IMO.

IMO the D600s are fun, fast attacking and falls into the musical headphones category. The Denons not do sound grainy at all and are detailed and smooth. It shines the most at pop, rock, rnb, electronic IMO.

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

6. wynton5364
    "Denon AH-D600"
    Pros - extremly good comfort and isolation, clean clear sound, dynamic, very punchy, easy to dirve
    Cons - slightly sterile, bass is accentuated in a certain area

IMG_20120801_213748.jpg

IMG_20120801_215721.jpg

IMG_20120801_235622.jpg

Personal Feels:

Look and Build:
    Though different from D5000's classical design, the modern look is actually quite good. The headband along with the outer shell is very low-profile kind of black color. With some bright parts it is not overly dull. The somewhat white inner ear cup and logo look pretty good to me. The sewing on headband and earpads are very neat. Plather parts are nice, hope they will last. Fabric-covered cord and carrying bag feel very good and solid.

Comfort and Isolation:
    Insanely comfortable. Really and easily the best I ever tried. Room inside ear cups are pretty large. My ears very slightly touch the walls inside but never the drivers. There is only very minor pressure on my head. With the headband adjusted to the right length I don't feel any weight of the headphone. The ear cups can only be adjusted slightly but they provides 360-degree articulation. They move around in any directions. I can very easily find the perfect-fit position.  Earpads are so soft. They also provide great comfort. If I have to pick a drawback, the earpads probably have too much friction on my skin. Isolation is very good, far beyond my expectation. There's a typhoon outside my window right now,but I can hear almost nothing with the headphone on my head. Even with the window open and the pouring rain, I can hear my music clearly. It seems that the high frequency noise is mostly blocked outside. Really the comfort and isolation are off-the-chart good.

D600 is energetic and fun to listen to, yet non-fatiguing.Basically balanced sound.  I do feel the bass is somewhat accentuated in one area, though it says on the box 'tuned to a flat EQ.' That makes bass drum and string bass stand out and emphasized in a way. That emphatic bass part is really excessive to my ears and prevents it from being completely coherent, but that may be a personal taste matter. Bass does sound good on some tracks. Rest of the spectrum is very clean and clear sounding. It's slightly cold and fast sounding. Vocals are fine but not particularly inviting. I would like a heftier mid-forward sound and slight warm-tilt. D600 is slightly sterile to me.(HE-500 is my choice and my main phone) Separation is good along with good imaging and location. Soundstage is not like very wide and deep. But I think it is pretty coherent with a good shape and moderate sense of space. Dynamic is good. With accentuated bass D600 is very punchy. D600 is doing a good job here.
    Summary:
    Comes with in-line three-button control,carrying bag and Denon Audio app you can download for your Apple devices and android devices, it is obviously made for you  to take out. And it works very fine with my Sony Erricsson mobile phone. However the size of the headphone is actually pretty big, I wouldn't wear it on the go. Taking it from places to places should be fine. The design is not as fragile as D2000, which I owned, but still is not tank-like robust. Some care could be needed. Given the performance and new type of sound, you should audition it whenever you can.

Thanks for viewing