The Brainwavz Hooka is a stick-on hanger that uses 3M's VHB tape, making it hold very securely to...

Brainwavz Hooka

Average User Rating:
4.72222/5,
  • The Brainwavz Hooka is a stick-on hanger that uses 3M's VHB tape, making it hold very securely to your desk.

Recent User Reviews

1. RedJohn456
    "The Brainwavz Hooka: How's it Hanging?"
    Pros - Sturdy build quality, Nozzle ends in a raised lip so headphones won't slip, strong adhesive strength, priced fairly, hard to screw up
    Cons - One time use adhesive tape
    Brainwavz Hooka
    "How's it hanging?"

Disclaimer
    The Brainwavz Hooka was a review unit provided in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. I have tried my best to record my thoughts and impressions on the Hooka and how well it functions. These thoughts and opinions are mine and mine alone and I reserve the right to change my opinion as time goes on. These are my personal findings and should be taken as such. YMMV

Introduction
    I want to take this opportunity to thank Pandora from Brainwavz for giving me a chance to check out the Hooka. Brainwavz is a brand that is well known at head-fi, and deservedly so. They provide a wide variety of products at affordable prices, from portable amplifiers to headphones to even headphone stands. Their brand is practically synonymous with bang for buck and so it is always exciting to see a new Brainwavz product on the market.

Before reviewing the Hooka, I had owned only one other headphone holder, in contrast to my headphone collection which has yet to stop growing (DARN YOU 4 AM PURCHASES!). Our growing arsenal makes it all the more important to store our headphones properly, be it a massive full size planar behemoth or an itty bitty balanced armature in ear monitor.

Brainwavz is positioning the Hooka as a solid hanger on which to rest our precious babies, but does the Hooka cut the mustard? Is it worth your heard earned dollars/gill/crayons? Read on to find out!

"Brainwavz provides high-end earphones specifically designed for high-quality sound and tailor-made to provide the user with a solution that can be used across a wide range of audio genres and styles at affordable prices. Brainwavz believes in the idea that sound is a deeply personal experience, and strives to provide users with earphones that match their personal inclinations, to inspire with intensity. The Brainwavz name is known in many countries across the globe, and the company is continually committed to providing the best products at the best value.

At Brainwavz we have a simple mission, to produce innovative, high quality audio products with a dedicated focus on high-end sound. Our strength, success and product range is built on the unique relationship with our customers. A relationship that has produced a simple and obvious result, we give real users real sound quality.” - Brainwavz

About me

​
    Before I get into the nitty gritty of things, I want to provide a little background information in the hopes that it can help put my views in perspective and provide some context for the content of this review.
     ​
    Music has always been a huge part of my life, whether it was performing music on stage with my band or more recently, involving myself in this masochistic wonderful hobby of ours.  I have always enjoyed listening to music but I haven’t always paid attention to the quality of headphones because I was perfectly content with included cellphone earphones or cheap earbuds from department stores.  Ignorance is bliss right? This however all changed when I came across head-fi one day, and that’s when things started to go downhill (for my wallet that is :p). It is all too easy to underestimate how large an impact a good pair of headphones can have in the enjoyment of your favorite songs.​

​

After getting my first pair of good headphones, I had felt as if an entirely new world has opened up to me musically and I found myself rediscovering music that I have listened to for many years.​

​

When it comes to musical taste, I can’t say that I have any specific genre that is my absolute favorite, as I like a little bit of everything. But if I had to be specify, I would say that I love mainstream and Pop music and I consider myself to be an average joe in that regard. ​

​

That is the approach I take in reviewing gear, for people like me who aren’t all that technical and are not audiophiles in the classical sense. To be honest, I am just someone who really loves their music and someone who enjoys getting the the most out of their gear. And I feel that this is representative of many young modern music lovers (such as myself); people who just want to hear our favourite modern music tracks at their best. Sure, we may not be classical music buffs, or Jazz aficionados, but all the same we appreciate having in our arsenal some of the best products out there, to hear our favourite pop, electronic dance music or metal artists at their best!​

I mostly stream music from the Internet using services such as Spotify and Youtube and like millions of other people, my laptop and cellphone serves as my main media players.

So with that out of the way, lets get on with the review!

Features:

2. Dimensions : 102 mm x 46 mm x 58 mm
    3. Plate Length : 78 mm
    4. Plate Width : 46 mm
    5. Material: All-Metal die-cast Aluminum

The Hooka comes in clear plastic packaging, which does well for protection, while also adorning the basic features. The hangar it self is made of tough plastic and sturdy, quite reassuringly so I might add. In fact I had no qualms about trusting it to hold my most expensive full size headphones. The hangar ends in a raised lip of sorts, ensuing that the headphone won't slip off if the surface is not 100% vertical.

The Hooka is pretty easy to use, remove the adhesive cover and stick on to a surface of your choice (like my forehead for example) and apply pressure. It should attach after a few seconds - wherein lies the only real downside. It is a one time use adhesive and it is quite difficult to remove once applied. Before deciding where to place the Hooka, make sure that you are happy with the placement, as they say, its all about location location location. The strength of adhesion is quite strong and that sucker won't be coming off anytime soon.

Not much else to say, its fairly priced, its built well and its idiot proof utilizing the tried and tested KISS[sup]TM[/sup] principle. Which stands for Keep It Simple Stupid. Its as easy as sticking and hanging.
    peter123, B9Scrambler and Salsera like this.
  2. chompchomps
    "Brainwavz Hooka: This might outlast many other future headphones"
    Pros - Built to Last! Bombproof
    Cons - Price, Limited mounting option
    IMG_9477.jpg

Before I begin, I would like to thank Pandora and Brainwavz for providing me with a sample unit for this review. I’ve used this headphone hanger for over 2 months now and this review would just be my honest opinion on the hanger over this period of time. I would not go into the specifications as there are many previous reviews which covered it already.

IMG_0255.jpg

Pros

1.     Construction
    -       These are no doubt built to last. They would probably outlast your current headphones or the next few headphones you have. Built out of solid aluminium, there are no areas of failure which could potentially render this useless. They are actually so strong that there was once my bag was hung on it by mistake and it did not drop. These have a slight curved surface for your babies to rest on, so that there are no sharp surfaces that may cut pleather headbands due to wear and tear.

IMG_0270.jpg

2.     Mounting solution

-       These are mounted via a 3M VHB tape, which are strong as steel, I actually have no idea how to remove these and have no intention to anyway. However I felt that if I ever want to change the position of these hangers, it’s gonna be a mess, as I can foresee the chore of removing such a strong mounting solution.

Cons

1.    Price
    -       At $17.95 USD, some might find this too much of an investment. Personally I feel that as a student on budget, these might not find their way to my table at all. However for someone with slightly higher budget, these are definitely a worthy investment for the long term

Salsera likes this.
  3. kiler
    "The great Brainwavz Hooka might be the only metal headphone stand you need"
    Pros - Metal construction, 24 months warranty, can fit 2 headphones
    Cons - Might be limited for one application
    [​IMG]

Here you have my Brainwavz Hooka review, an excellent headphone stand for the price!
  4. DynamikeB
    "Close to perfection headphone hanger"
    Pros - Solid metal build, very nice and cool design
    Cons - Could use another mounting method for some
    Here is my short review of the HOOKA headphone hanger.

Thank you to Pandora from Brainwavz for providing me with the product.

This very cool headphone hanger came in a nice, small sized (just enough), easy to open plastic box, where you see the product and brief instructions.

IMG_20160623_075015.jpg

The hanger is made of very solid metal alloy and the design is relly nice.  I love it.

I installed it near some other stuff and the 3M sticker was perfect for me as I didn't need to drill any undesired holes.  This type mounting may not suit everyone, and I am sure some would prefer to be able to use screws, and move it around but I think Brainwavz did a clean choice and it's perfect for me.

IMG_20160625_132906.jpg

I love it and I can only recommend again such a high quality product.
  5. earfonia
    "Top quality headphone hanger!"
    Pros - Well engineered, strong, solid, & Good looking!
    Cons - None
    I would like to thank Brainwavz for the review sample of Brainwavz Hooka, the super sturdy and good looking all metal headphone hanger!

01P1270942.jpg

Brainwavz Hooka is a superb headphone hanger at a very affordable price! The all metal, die cast aluminum construction feels very solid and durable. The hanger is not only nicely designed, but also carefully engineered. The wide seat plate for the headphone headband provides enough space for wide headband up to 8 cm, and it is curved for better stress distribution and also to minimize unwanted marking on the headband.

02P1270860.jpg

03P1270868.jpg

04P1270884.jpg

All metal construction means some considerable weight. The Hooka weighs 133.5 grams as shown on my cheapo scale (125 grams as per the specification).

05P1270894.jpg

Average full size headphone with the cable will easily add another 200-400 grams to it. Practically the adhesive must be able to take a constant load around half kg or more. Without a strong adhesive, the solid and nicely build Hooka would be useless if it fail to hold a heavy headphone. Thanks to Brainwavz who has carefully chosen one of the best and proven adhesive in the market, the 3M™ VHB™ (very high bond) Tape. More info about 3M™ VHB™ here:

06P1270871.jpg

3M™ VHB™ is a very strong adhesive tape. We can search YouTube for  3M™ VHB™ and watch some demos of its strength. According to 3M, VHB tape will continue to sips to the nooks and crannies of the surface for up to 72 hours after application. So maximum bonding power will be achieved after a few days. For load test I use my heaviest headphone, the Hifiman HE-6, plus the DIY balanced cable. In total it weighs 685 grams.

07P1300432.jpg

From my observation so far, most headphones weigh much less than HE-6, therefore if Hooka can hold HE-6 for a long period, it is practically will be able to hold any headphone. Both Hifiman HE-6 and the cable are hanged on the Hooka as shown in the picture below.

08P1280242.jpg

I left the HE-6 on the Hooka not only for a few days, but a straight full 2 weeks. And Hooka has no problem holding such a heavy headphone for a long period. Test pass!

Brainwavz Hooka is a perfectly engineered headphone hanger. I couldn't find any flaw from it. Correctly engineered headphone seat, solidly build, and equipped with a very strong adhesive that is able to hold the heaviest headphone. Kudos to Brainwavz!

09P1270856.jpg

Plate Length : 78 mm
    Plate Width : 46 mm
    Material: All-Metal die-cast Aluminum
  6. crabdog
    "Brainwavz Hooka - I'm hooka'd!"
    Pros - Affordable, sturdy construction, stylish, functional
    Cons - No option to mount with screws
    Hooka - The All Metal Headphone Hanger pretty much sums it all up! It's a stylish, sturdy and attractive way to keep your headphones safe and out of the way when not in use. With a retail price of just $17.95 it's a no-brainer for anyone who wants to ummm hang their headphones.

Packaging

Comes in a very compact, clear plastic box that is surprisingly small but feels solid when picked up. On the front you can see the name printed clearly and the Hooka itself in all its glory. On the back are some very easy to follow instructions on how to mount it.

20160612_125021.jpg

Design and build quality

The Hooka feels very strong and solid and I have no doubt it could hold pretty much any headphone in your inventory. It's an attractive all black in color that should easily match any surrounding decor and mounting surface with the Brainwavz logo on the top and brand name on the faceplate. It's beauty lies in it's simplicity and choice materials. There is a raised hook at the end to prevent headphones from sliding off so you can rest assured that your precious belongings don't end up on the floor. The seat of the Hooka has a concave curve that fits perfectly to the headband of your headphones and prevents any indentation or marking on the cushioning.

The Hooka can be easily installed with the supplied 3M VHB™ adhesive tape which is attached to the base. It's so incredibly simple to use and feels really strong. Make sure you choose your positioning carefully because once it has been stuck on a surface it would most likely be very difficult to remove.

20160612_125138.jpg

20160612_131632_001.jpg

20160612_131710.jpg

20160612_131756.jpg

20160612_131819.jpg

It would have been nice to include some extra mounting options like screws or clamp but if that's what you're after you could instead get the Hengja - The Desk Headphone Hanger which serves the same purpose and is actually slightly cheaper than the Hooka.

hengja__03_grande.jpg

Conclusion

The Brainwavz Hooka is another excellent product from the company and so far I've been very impressed with the things they're doing. It's stylish, attractive, has impeccable build quality, serves its purpose flawlessly and comes in at a very reasonable price point. It does its job so well that most of the time you'll forget it's even there except when you're keeping or retrieving your headphones from it and the high quality aluminium looks and feels very premium.

It's obvious that Brainwavz means business and my experience with the Hooka and BLU-200 has made me take notice and garnered a high respect for the company due to the high build quality and functionality of their products. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for what they do next.

A big thanks to Pandora from Brainwavz for the opportunity to review the Hooka.
    B9Scrambler likes this.
  7. Wokei
    "Brainwavz Hooka - Awesome Headphone Hanger "
    Pros - All-Metal die-cast Aluminum , Design and Very AFFORDABLE !
    Cons - Not Applicable !
    Brainwavz Intro

ABOUT

BRAINWAVZ brand is owned and manufactured by GPGS. - taken from Brainwavz company webpage http://www.brainwavzaudio.com

GET THEM HERE - Brainwavz or Amazon

Thank you very much to Brainwavz and Pandora for providing me with Hooka headphone hanger for review.

Packaging

The Hooka (mmmmm....the name ..tried Wiki but best not mentioned ) comes in very compact plastic packaging on the front displaying the Hooka with its see through packaging while the back display the simple application instruction and its strong built via two pictures.

WhatsApp-Image-2016051517.jpg

WhatsApp-Image-2016051521.jpg

WhatsApp-Image-2016051519.jpg

WhatsApp-Image-2016051520.jpg

Built Quality, Design & Functionality

As in my previous review posted 3 weeks ago - Brainwavz Truss ( Under Desk Dual Headphone Hanger) - Wokei's Brainwavz Truss Review  - copy and pasted that review !

Material is all ALL METAL and the built quality is numero uno with every details meticulously made with masterclass workmanship. Sleek looking and extremely durable.

In fact the design of Hooka is much improved design compared to BW Hengja ( also another Brainwavz HP hanger ) as Hooka has incorporated  raised hook at the end to prevent headphone from falling.

hengja__03_grande.jpg
    Brainwavz Hengja - Hengja from Old Norse word " to hang"

WhatsApp-Image-2016051522.jpg

WhatsApp-Image-2016051525.jpg

WhatsApp-Image-2016051526.jpg

IMHO ...much improved design from Hengja with the raised hook but would much prefer the clamp design of the Brainwavz Hengja as over time - the 3M stick tape might lose grip and messy residue .
    Also if the clamp design is used for Hooka .....it could be easily removed and move to other location without much effort ....trying very hard not to laugh and fighting against my will to add some in innuendo ....muahahahaaaaaaaaaa !

Installation instruction :

1. Location ..location ..location - find a good spot to stick the Hooka

XCedzUh.gif

1. Mark the spot outline with pencil and make sure the its the right spot ....removal is not an option

1aPjj.gif

1. Press the Hooka in pencil drawn outline and applied some pressure and count 1 to 4  or more .......fill in the blanks if one so wishes !

Lea_-_Countdown.gif

Conclusion

Excellent products.
    No more messy clutter on desk.
    Easy to install - see instructions above
    Value for money.
    What a name for HP Hanger !

Thank you for reading.
  8. B9Scrambler
    "Brainwavz Hooka: Get Hooked"
    Pros - Outstanding build and material quality
    Cons - Only one mounting method
    Greetings Head-fi,

Today we will be checking out a new headphone hanger from Brainwavz; the Hooka. This wonderful little product has a low MSRP of 17.95 USD, is constructed entirely of aluminum and with its simple yet detailed design, looks quite nice. Is it any good? I certainly think so. Let us find out why.

Disclaimer:

I want to thank Pandora and Brainwavz for hookaing (sorry) me up with this product in exchange for a fair and impartial review. The views expressed within this review are not representative of Brainwavz and I am not receiving any form of monetary compensation.

IMAG0435.jpg       IMAG0436.jpg       IMAG0438.jpg

Packaging:

The Hooka comes in a compact plastic package with the hanger on full display via a generous viewing window that takes up the front and top sections of the package. The sides contain notification of the Hooka’s generous 24 month warranty and information on how to locate Brainwavz online, and through various social media outlets. The rear of the package contains two images of the Hooka with brief statements about its build quality and easy installation. Opening the package from the top reveals the Hooka nestled snugly in a separate plastic holder.

The packaging is simple and free of excess waste, using just enough material to keep the Hooka secure and safe from damage during transit.

IMAG0441.jpg       IMAG0442.jpg       IMAG0443.jpg

The Hooka:

I knew little of the Hooka coming into this review, other than what I read on their website and that it looked to be closely related to the Truss, another of Brainwavz’s new headphone hangers. I was excited to try the Hooka after reading @Wokei’s enthusiastic review of the Truss. When it arrived was I pleasantly surprised at the quality.

The Hooka is an all-aluminum product with some thoughtful design flourishes. The seat where you hang your headphone is curved spreading the headphone’s weight across the headband. I find this helps to prevent unwanted dents and notches in the padding. There is a lip at the end of the arm holding the seat which keeps your headphone from sliding off. Should you be traveling with the Hooka and want it to take up even less space, it can be broken down into two small pieces simply by unscrewing the two bolts holding the seat in place.

For something built to such a relaxed price point, the Hooka’s build and material quality is excellent. The black-painted finish is flawless with the Brainwavz logo and name cleanly printed on the arm and base. I couldn't find any flaws in the mold, and the double-sided 3M VBH tape was placed with OCD-like precision (this pleased me greatly). Speaking of double-sided tape, this stuff grips like it’s nobody’s business. It can’t hold the weight of a human being but I highly doubt there are any headphones out there heavy enough to cause any concerns.

IMAG0444.jpg            IMAG0445.jpg

Suggestions for Improvement:

The Hooka is a fantastic little hanger but I feel it is missing one critical feature and another that could be very handy if implemented in a future revision.

For someone wanting a more permanent mounting solution, since tape loses its grip over time, it would have been nice to see some holes drilled in the base to accommodate mounting via screws. I could certainly do this myself, but I doubt my workmanship would be up to Brainwavz’s standards, harming the visual cleanliness of the Hooka in its stock form.

Given the size of this product, the ability to mount via a Velcro or rubber strap would be welcome. For someone that travels a lot and doesn't like setting their headphones down on random surfaces, the ability to mount the Hooka via a reusable strap of some sort would be ace. It could be strapped to the leg of the desk in your room, the headboard of your bed, or a variety of other locations. I also find that clamps damage or mark surfaces. Using a well-designed strap system would allow for quick, painless mounting and the surface you attach it to would remain blemish free.

IMAG0448.jpg       IMAG0450.jpg       IMAG0451.jpg

Overall:

Brainwaz has put out yet another stellar product. The Hooka is well-built, features a mature design, can hold pretty much any headphone you throw at it, and is easy on the wallet. It would have been nice if double-sided tape was just one of a few mounting options, but it works well and can be overlooked especially when they are so well-built. Two thumbs up to Brainwavz for making a great headphone accessory.

Thank you again for giving me the opportunity to review the Hooka. I am excited to see what you have up your sleeve next!

Thanks for reading!

- B9

***** ***** ***** ***** *****​

Buy on Amazon - Only $15.95 USD at the time of this review.​
    Check out other products from Brainwavz - http://www.brainwavzaudio.com

Wokei, RedJohn456 and crabdog like this.
  9. Currawong
    "The Brainwavz Hooka gives your headphones a good time hanging from your desk."
    Pros - All-metal design is very sturdy. Attaches using a large pad of strong 3M VHB tape. Deep pad allows plenty of room. Hooked end prevents slipping.
    Cons - None so far.
    The unfortunately-named Brainwavz Hooka was offered to me via email from Brainwavz. I didn't realise you could buy a Hooka online, but now you can on Amazon, for only $15.95.

The Hooka is designed to stick onto, say, the side of your desk, and unlike the Truss and Hengja, offers a deeper metal plate for your headphones to rest on. This means that a full-sized pair of headphones can hang without bumping the surface the Hooka is attached to. It also has an upturned hook at the end, good for catching your headphones from falling, and thankfully you wont catch anything else from it, except maybe your pants, if it is protruding from your desk.

The Hooka uses 3M's VHB tape, which is intended to be very secure, though as I'm a virgin when it comes to the use of the Hooka, I don't know if it will leave any sticky residue after removal.

I still haven't decided where to stick the Hooka, though some time ago I installed large bag hooks under my desk to hang headphones on, so I am considering putting it there, though I'm not sure if I want a Hooka under my desk between my legs.

Now after using the Hooka, I'm very satisfied.
    warrenpchi and B9Scrambler like this.

User Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!