QuietComfort 25 headphones are re-engineered to sound better, be more comfortable and easier to...

Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones

3.95833/5,
  • QuietComfort 25 headphones are re-engineered to sound better, be more comfortable and easier to take with you. Put them on, and suddenly everything changes. Your music is deep, powerful and balanced, and so quiet that every note sounds clearer. Even air travel becomes enjoyable, as engine roar gently fades away. No matter how noisy the world is, it's just you and your music-or simply peace and quiet. Bose completely redesigned their industry-leading headphones, with higher-quality materials and finishes. They're lightweight, and earcups rotate even more for a better fit. The headband sits closer to your head, with luxurious suede-like material underneath for extra comfort. If the AAA battery runs out, you can still enjoy music without noise reduction. And the earcups pivot to fit in a compact case that's easy to carry. QC25 headphones let you focus on what matters-your music, movies and videos. And block out what you don't want to hear. Like a crowded city street. Cabin noise inside an airplane. Or a busy office. Advanced noise reduction technology and unique electronics make it happen. Even the ear cushions give you an extra level of quiet by sealing out the world around you. Many Bose engineers are also musicians, with a passion for music. So when you wear these headphones, you'll hear ringing guitars. Soaring vocals as the chorus kicks in. Deep bass and crisp drums drive the beat forward. Bose Active EQ and TriPort technology deliver performance so compelling, you'll want to listen for hours. And the fit's designed so you can. Bose noise cancelling headphones are designed specifically for use with your iPhone and other Apple products, so the inline microphone/remote puts music and call controls at your fingertips. Many features are also compatible with today's most popular phones. Included: QuietComfort 25 headphones, 56 inch QC25 inline remote and microphone cable, Airline adapter, Carry case and a AAA battery.

Recent Reviews

1. dalesky
    Fantastic noise reduction, OK audio
    Written by dalesky
    Published Dec 9, 2016
    Pros - Very very good noise cancelling. Industry standard for their time
    Cons - Not intended for the highest quality audio
    There seems to be a lot of issues with the sound quality for these 2nd gen Bose phones.
    These came out before wireless headphones were in any significant use, and when few other companies were making a serious attempt at noise reduction.
    Given the parameters that Bose used, which was the best travel headphones and good quality audio, I know they succeeded and excelled over other products.
    In fact they had no real competitors for quite some time. Virtually every review was glowing, and considered them the gold standard.
    Today, is seems unfair to judge them against other products, with a higher price, and with years of development to improve on the Bose product. Or, against wireless head phones.
    Taken just on their original merits, and in the time frame they were introduced in, these were unbeatable. I feel that for the money they are still a best buy.
    The absolutely have amazing noise reduction capabilities. They have unparalleled battery life, and not insignificantly, use replaceable AAA batteries.
    Their portability, by which I mean the beautifully designed case they fold into, is top notch. The case even has room for a spare battery and airline jack. Possibly the standard for well designed cases.
    Here's the test- take a flight, carry these along, plug in your own source, and even use an amp. You will be very pleased. It's that simple.
    Do not expect to get the best possible audio, since you are in a noisy environment.
    Do not expect them to compete with newly designed $400 head phones. That's not even logical. They were engineered years ago and yet are still excellent for traveling.
  2. turbomustang84
    Best noise cancelling period
    Written by turbomustang84
    Published Oct 10, 2016
    Pros - as much as i hate bose they make great noise cancelling Headphones
    Cons - none
    i got mine for a reasonable price of only $150 and love them but a Headphone amp really improves the experience
  3. BigBoi
    Boring overpriced headphones
    Written by BigBoi
    Published May 14, 2016
    1.0/5,
    Pros - mids and lows, portability, detachable cable, noise cancellation switch.
    Cons - Highs, mediocre noise cancellation, price, small sound stage, cable, headaches
    I bought the Quiet Comfort 25's from Bose, last year and used them for about two months before selling them.
    No DAC, DAP, or any special kind of amp. I plugged them in the headphone jack of my cellphone and listened to music.

The first thing I noticed, outside of Best Buy, walking back home with the headphones on my head, really pissed me off.
    I don't know if I had a damaged product, or if I didn't wear the headphones properly, but whenever I walked a step, the music would
    cut off for a second.
    That was a huge problem.

Secondly, something else that really bothered me was the fact that the sound cancellation really hurt my head.
    I had the kind of pain some people have when you're on an airplane going up and your ears get clogged.
    After a couple of weeks, the pain ceased, but I still felt a difference whenever I would turn on that cancellation switch.

The sound cancellation sucked too. At first it was amazing, but after a week, my ears heard everything, even with cancellation turned on
    It's as if my ears had adapted to the cancellation and found a way to bypass it or something.

The third and last thing that really annoyed me was the cable, the cable was really long.
    It would get caught with my knee and then I'd yank it from the jack accidentally.
    In addition, Bose made sure that if you decided to replace the cable, you'd have to buy it from them
    and don't fool yourself, you will eventually have to replace it. :wink:

The cable wasn't male to male. It was male to Bose, if you get what I mean.

Anyway, let's put the cons aside.

What was great about the QC 25's was definitely how portable they were.
    Although the case wasn't really practical, the fact that they could roll into a ball shape
    made it take less space than any other headphone I've had.

Still, the cons outweighed the pros and is the reason why I believe the QC 25's aren't worth 300$.
      taffy2207 likes this.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. turbomustang84
      these are great for what they were designed for and adding an amp makes them better
      turbomustang84, Oct 10, 2016
    3. BigBoi
      nah, they suck don't listen to [above]'s advise...
      BigBoi, Oct 10, 2016
    4. turbomustang84
      everyone has their opinions and i will not stomp on yours but suspect maybe you should have had something other to compare them too because of the 11 other noise cancelling headphones i own which include all of the top 5 in this list these are easily the best but some peoples ears can not handle the noise suppression tone inherent in all noise cancelling headphones and maybe that is why they did not work for you but read some of the responses you got that have come from people who have been on this site for more than a minute and realize that not all headphones are for everyone and trashing a product based on nothing helps no one but have a great day and i hope you find something that works better for you
      turbomustang84, Oct 11, 2016
  4. Chris J L
    Best by a Mile
    Written by Chris J L
    Published Dec 6, 2015
    Pros - Superb reproduction, comfort, wonderful noise cancelation
    Cons - Can't think of any
    I have considerable experience in headphones, having owned: AKG K702s (poor finish with loose wire mesh on earpieces. Too large and heavy), Sennheiser 202 (Okish sound but claustrophobic feeling and much too much bass), Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium Edition (nice all round sound and quality but I caught the 100 metre (that's what iit seemed like) in my wheelchair and couldn't find anyone who could fix them (never buy headphones with fixed cables), Beyerdynamic DT 860, I generally liked these until I sat on them resulting in compressed sound (joke) and broken head band (no joke)! I have also owned bottom end and high end Grados but can only remember the crap build quality and discomfort, they left my head slightly narrower than before, this allied to manufacturers faults cured me of my desire to own 'real hi-fi phones with terrific reviews). I can't remember any more proper headphones but have owned Shure in ear, Bang & Olufsen, and many others. None would feel comfortable or stay in my ears except the rather good Bose range which I still use and are as comfortable and musical as in ear phones get.

You might get the impression that I am biased towards Bose. I can only say I used to think their products over priced tat however I found I liked their products. They make the small ST 10 which I use in my room in the nursing home, there not being space for my new Sony connected, multi hard drive system. I also have three other small wireless Bose speakers. The build quality of their produts is beautiful. They look and feel like craftsman built items and weigh a lot more than their size suggessts.

I had accumulated 7 Bose in ear phones over the years each eventually falling foul of my wheel or powe recliner chairs. No receipts and in one case even the hologram sticker missing I took themin to the Cabot Circus Bose shop in Bristol and was amazed when they, without any drama, handed me 7 new earphones. Yes, I like Bose.

The QC 25s cost a lot less than many phones I have owned and don't really look like an audiophile product. They are unapologetically plastic with metal ear cover things. The plastc feels and looks good, I particularly like he white with turquoise accents. They immediately felt right on my ears and the noise reduction creates a black soundstage just like ou hear immediately before the Tallis Scholars light up Bath Cathedral. Yes, I listen mainly to early choral music, as well as modern classical and pop. And I can't fault these phones at all.
      AlanChi607 likes this.
    1. DJSpaderJader
      Well yes, I do find that Bose is actually very underrated by headphone enthusiasts. I feel like their newest models are their best sounding so far! I have both the Sennheiser Momentum M2 and Bose SoundTrue 2, and really, I feel like both are excellent quality headphones for the money. The QuietComfort 25 is DEFINITELY a solid can, and deserves the amount of praise professional reviewers give them!
      DJSpaderJader, Feb 4, 2016
    2. AlanChi607
      @DJSpaderJader I actually feel that the sound quality on the Bose QC25 is better than the Momentum. It sounds more lively and forward than the Momentum 2.0.
      AlanChi607, Feb 10, 2016
  5. Mediahound
    Better than expected
    Written by Mediahound
    Published Aug 3, 2015
    Pros - Noise cancelation is tops, audio quality better than expected
    Cons - Audio quality when off is terrible
    The noise canceling on these is the industry's best. The sound quality is better than expected and quite listenable, although could be slightly better. I decided to do a view review of these here:

[​IMG]
      bpandbass likes this.
  6. AlanChi607
    Well designed product with tonally balanced sound and excellent noise cancellation.
    Written by AlanChi607
    Published Jul 23, 2015
    Pros - Very good noise cancellation, tonally balanced, very neutral response; relatively good soundstage, superb bass response!
    Cons - Upper treble extension could be slightly better.
    After going through many headphones, including the Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2, Bowers & Wilkins P3, Sennheiser Momentum M2 AEi as well as a pair of Westone W40s, I'm mightily impressed by the Bose QC25. It offers fantastic noise cancellation, exceptional sound quality (even for a non-ANC headphone) and is in general an excellent product.
    In short, I will be reviewing:
    1. Sound
    2. Noise cancellation
    3. Comfort and design

SOUND
    Do not listen to these headphones without switching them on (this requires one AAA battery - lasts around 35 hours! I use a rechargable Eneloop AAA battery). However, they sound pretty good if the ANC is turned on, which activates the internal electronics which electronically equalise the sound signals.

The bass, mid and highs are tonally balanced and suffers from no excessive bloating or dips in the frequency response. This is pretty good for a noise cancelling headphones. The bass response is tight and clear, exceptionally well-done for an ANC headphone. The slight lack of dynamic range (compared to non-ANC headphones) is a minor issue as well in some tracks. With a good amp (I personally use the Oppo HA-2), the dynamic range increases by a slight degree. The sound, however, is pleasant to listen to from portable devices as well.

IMG_0224.jpg
    Bose QC25 being driven by my Oppo HA-2 DAC/AMP

However, the sound is tonally balanced and sound-staging is above average for an closed-back headphone. Mid and highs sound really good when listening to saxophone music or any music with less bass.  However, this headphone can make all music genres sound acceptable without leaning towards any part of the frequencies. The neutral and deeply extended bass is extremely well controlled. It suits my music tastes very well. Upper mids/lower treble is very present, only lacks the last bit of upper treble extension (only found in open-backed headphones) but clarity is again very good.

Bass: Very good bass extension. Extremely tight, well-controlled. Much better than my Momentums. In combination with the ANC, bass is VERY clear and well-defined. Suits all genres of music pretty well.
    Mids: Open, very natural. The mids are very realistic, with a slight peak at the 3kHz region. This makes the headphone sound forward sounding and is exceptional for vocals. I can hear no dips/anomalies in the mids.
    Treble: Treble is well extended into the lower treble. Soundstage and a sense of space is clearly defined. For a closed-back headphone, the treble is very well extended indeed. For an ANC headphone, this is simply exceptional. Treble is slightly rolled-off to prevent listening fatigue. Perhaps this is the only area which Bose could improve a bit on for the next QC headphone.

NOISE CANCELLATION
    Noise cancellation is, as usual, excellent. These were my first pair of ANC headphones and I wore them on a 13-hour flight to London, so here's what I found:
    1. Dramatically reduces low frequency noises as usual.

2. Mid to high frequency noises are blocked out mostly by the headphone's acoustic seal (i.e. earpads) rather than the noise cancellation electronics. Some higher pitched air-con noises may leak in, however they are still dramatically reduced because of the acoustic seal.

3. If you are wearing glasses, this makes a difference. You will let in more noise because the acoustic seal is not perfectly sealed to your head. On the flight, I was taking off my glasses to sleep and noticed how much of a difference it made by simply not wearing glasses. This is because the acoustic seal doesn't seal completely if you wear glasses. I would estimate a further 3-4dB of noise was eliminated just by taking off my glasses. So if you are glasses user, be aware. Glasses, however, do not change the bass response much because Bose's internal DSP is able to compensate for the bass response unlike normal tightly sealed closed-back headphones.

COMFORT AND DESIGN
    Personally I love the understated and brushed aluminium ear cups. They look industrial, durable and sleek. The headphone comes with a hard carrying case which is also rather understated but is very durable and functional for portable use. This headphone is really light and wearing them for long periods of time is painless compared to head-clamps like Beats by Dre.

A fair amount of plastic has gone into the construction of this headphone. Some might argue this means it might feel cheap or not durable. With the Bose QC25, this is totally not true! However, I would say that the plastic gives a solid and sleek feel to the design, and helps it maintain its light weight, making the headphone both feel truly portable and durable. Need I say more? Bose uses aerospace-grade plastic in all their headphones. The cable included is compatible with iDevices or Android devices whichever you choose, and the cable feels thick and durable enough to last for a long time. Cable has a 90-degree 3.5mm jack and is made of durable plastic.

CONCLUSION
    I highly recommend these headphones to any traveller (even those with glasses). The mixture of sleek design, excellent comfort, superb noise cancellation and good sound make the Bose QC25 an exceptional headphone for home and portable use. It's just the bass and dynamic range that is slightly lacking! Well, compared to the QC20 (the in-ear version of Bose's noise cancelling headphones), I find the QC25 to be a better choice due to better bass performance and soundstaging, as well as none of that awkward "control module" hanging at the end of the cable (as is the case with QC20). Whilst the QC20 might be a better option for those seeking true portability since it fits into a very small case compared to the QC25, the QC25 is in every way better since, after all, it is a full size over-ear headphone!
    The QC25 is well worth the $299 retail price for its sound, noise cancellation and design. Do give it a shot and see what you think!
  7. paulchiu
    Very surprised how great the QC25 is
    Written by paulchiu
    Published Jul 16, 2015
    Pros - Sublime comfort, Superior noise canceling, Natural sound, long battery life, understated design
    Cons - Wires
    I had a pair of Bose on ears for many years.  They were my goto for editing Youtube movies since they can be worn all day without pain or sweat.  For critical listening in a quiet room, I would never pick it over my Audeze, Sennheiser, Fostex, AKG or Stax headphones.  Then a month ago, I tried a pair of Bose QC25 at a company showcase store in San Francisco.  A pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless and iPhone 6 plus were with me at the time.  Not only did I prefer the musicality of the QC25 over the M2 for the tracks I tried, the comfort and the noise canceling of the QC25 was clearly superior to my M2.
    I was stunned.

Tonight as I write this in the middle of summer in New York.  The AC is blowing on my right side. Normally, I would be watching cable TV but with the QC25, I can enjoy music. At this moment Jazz at the Pawnshop. I can enjoy the beautiful alto sax and clarinet as if I were in that smoky Jazz club back in 1976 Stockholm Sweden.
    The imaging is forward with good space in front and beyond both ears.  After some time, the QC25 disappears.  I really feel like I was sitting at the bar.
    I never get that with the Audeze LCD3, my favorite for classical pieces.  In a perfect world, the Audeze should be light and comfortable as the QC25.
    Of course, the QC25 cannot play Bach Toccata & Fugue like a LCD3, but I was surprised how the Bose handle the low end without adding any color.  With the active noise canceling, I felt the spatial dimensionality of the Los Angeles First Congregational Church as the headphone floated off my head.
    It's nearly like sitting at the pews.
    Besides jazz and classical, the QC25 handles vocals wonderfully. Again, with the NC there is just the performer and I in the room.

Count this listener truly impressed.
      AlanChi607 likes this.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. NA Blur
      I see and use these a ton at PAX.  They do a tremendously great job at cutting down the background noise and add a fun sound signature to gaming.
      NA Blur, Jul 17, 2015
    3. AlanChi607
      I think, even having doubted Bose before (all because you head-fi'ers!), I've started to appreciate how great the sound quality actually is on the Bose QC25. It sounds better than the Momentum 2.0s! Clearer, more articulate (because of the ANC). Just a great product.
      AlanChi607, Feb 10, 2016
    4. AvdB
      Very good review and having them for a couple of months now, I fully agree. In my case, of course the Hifiman 400i is a better headphone when you are in a quiet place at home. When in the office or on travel however, these things allow you to take your listening pleasure with you. Comfort and battery life are very good as well.
      AvdB, Apr 7, 2016
  8. enthusiast
    Superb build quality, very boring, un-engaging sound signature
    Written by enthusiast
    Published May 9, 2015
    2.5/5,
    Pros - Good Sound Quality, Comfort and Haptics.
    Cons - Too much bass extension. Noise Cancelation not best in class.
    I have bought both the 20i in Ears from Bose and the QC 25. The 20i in ears Noise Cancelation eats the QC25 NC for breakfast. Seriously, they are in another ball park. The 20i NC works like on pro-levels and let the NC in the QC25 seem like a Kindergarten toy across the whole frequency spectrum, the 20i cancelled noise better, a lot better, let it be water, clicking, birds, wind, voices, knocks, doors slamming. Whatever I threw at both of them, the QC25 did let through about 50% of the sound and the 20i about 25% of exterior sound, yes the 20i it is that good. So - if you are serious about NC better give the 20i in ears a try.

That being said, the sound on the QC25 is substantially nicer, the bass extends more, the soundstage is bigger and there is a more detail in comparison. I would even say I enjoy its relaxed, muffled down sound signature. But the sound is boring, very flat, very streamlined and unengaging. Highs are the most undynamic I ever heard, mids and voices are a bit better and bass is very strong, too much of it.

I would never hesitate to opt for my Beyerdynamics which sound-wise is just no comparison to Bose products, which is unfair I know, Bose being cool overpriced and well-made gadgets and Beyer T51p being a serious headphone for adults. Fyi All A/B tests were done against an Audio Engine D1 DAC.

Then there is the ground level white noise, which is much louder with the 20i, almost making me hate them. Also the "pressure" we know from NC is much more on the QC25, but its bearable. Before I make a decision which one to keep I will take them to work. Because of much less leakage and far superiour NC I will probably opt for the 20i or as an complete alternative for some cIEMs made out of silicon.

Comfort-wise the QC25 is quite great, light and with great haptics. Materials are excellent, but they will get sweaty.
      Bloos likes this.
  9. Derk2006
    Great on long trips
    Written by Derk2006
    Published Apr 30, 2015
    Pros - Noise Cancellation, Sound, Case, Build quality
    Cons - No 6,3mm adapter, can't lay on one ear, on light very small
    After looking, testing and testing some moreI upgraded to the QC25 from Sennheisers PXC 250. I travel frequently and love noise canceling headphones on any air trip. NC is much better than on the Sennheiser and I personally love the sound quality; I'm a music lover, not an audiophile and for me these headphones provide a very good reproduction on the wide range of music I like. Whether it's classical, blues, jazz, R&B or some firmer guitar music; all are a joy to my ears. Build quality of headphone, cable and case seem very good but will have to prove themselves over the coming years. If they serve me as long and well as the PXC 250's, I'm more than happy.

I've had one battery run out of juice because I stored the headphones in their case without noticing it was still on and that's probably the only thing I liked better on the PXC 250's; the large red LED on that just attracted more attention than the tiny green light on the QC25. So far that's the only real con; headphones are always hard to use if you want to lay on one ear, but as I never get paid to fly business class I guess it's more of a hypothetical problem than a practical one. The 6,3mm adapter would've been nice but hardly neccessary; I can manage well without.

Two remarks about the price I paid; it's a converted price in Euro, and it was a downpriced unit from an online seller (probably a returned unit not deemed entirely new anymore) on which I got a full Norwegian VAT refund (25%). Coincidence of anyone to pull that off in the same manner is rather small I guess :wink:
  10. Pokerstar
    Good noise cancellation mediocre sound.
    Written by Pokerstar
    Published Feb 20, 2015
    2.5/5,
    Pros - Very good noise cancellation, Balanced neutral sound, Overall build quality, 30h battery life, Traveling case inculded.
    Cons - Cheaper headphones sound better (HD558),hard to recoomend those for anyone, Witout battery sound like crap.
    Please note that its my first reviev, if i gave unclear or incomplete information feel free to ask.

Comfort is alright not the most comfortable headpones i've worn.The pressure gets unpleasant after wearing for longer than an hour but it isn't bad enough to concider it a game breaker.
    Sound quality is alright, I havent notice any frequency to sound significantly better or worse but compared to my HD 558 the sound seems to come out of an cardbord tube.
    I see no sense in buying this headphones  unless you will be frquently using them in very noisy envirement for moderately noisy envirement i would reccomend the B&W P7 that still isolate very well but simply DESTROY the QC 25 in terms of sound quality.
    1. rcoleman1
      I must admit...every time I have to fly Bose is the first NC HP I think of, but I know the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.
      rcoleman1, Feb 20, 2015

Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!