Bliiq Hummingbird Wireless Earphone Review
A bit of a background about me. I am Maurice Washington, otherwise known as moedawg140 on Head-Fi and Instagram. I have spent countless hours and several years in the audio field, not only attending the perennial audio events around the world, but listening to many products and reviewing them in the process. Last year, I had an aneurysm and brain tumor removed in Germany, and I am currently in recovery. My listening is not perfect (no one’s is), but I hear well enough to pass multiple hearing tests. I was approached by bliiq to write a review. My thinking these days are I will not write a review for a product that I do not deem is worthy. I would much rather focus my time on my family, and sharing inspiration through my day job as a physical education teacher and daily Instagram posts. Once I received the package and listened to the Hummingbird, I nodded and said to myself “This is the real deal!” Feel free to read my thoughts below on why I feel the Hummingbird is a great earphone!
Before I get to my top reason why this is a great earphone, let me highlight a few positives about it.
1. The construction is competitive. Above average looks with the black plastic and very good tactile touch materials are used to make using the buttons as simple as possible. Various eartips sizes and a USB cable is included. A quick start guide, warranty and safety information is included in the box. Adding in a leatherette case with a bliiq sticker rounds out the tasteful package.
2. The sound signature of the product is satisfying to my ears. The bliiq emits a natural, balanced signature, with slightly elevated bass depending on the size of tips used. You should experience more perceived bass if using foam eartips. The midrange and treble is more laid back, and not strident, but with slight air to it. The spatial capabilities (soundstage width and depth) are decent, but not what I would say audiophile-esque. For a Bluetooth product, the bliiq sounds pretty darn good to me. I wouldn’t call the bliiq a necessarily bassy product, but it certainly can be if you do what you can to make it that way (tips/EQ settings, et cetera).
3. The battery life is exemplary. Usually real-world results are not in-sync with manufacturer’s postings, but this is pretty true to life in my experience. I had the music playing for around 10 hours (at about 1/2-3/4 volume) with battery power to spare. I’m sure the music would have gone even longer if I listened at an even lower volume.
4. Ambient Mode! This is one of the only Bluetooth products that I’ve seen with ambient mode! The awesome Sensaphonics 3D AARO earphones offer ambient mode as well, but are quite expensive. For a price much lower, you press the middle button twice quickly in succession to experience being able to use the earphone’s microphone to speak to who you’d like without having to remove your earphones. How cool is that?!
5. Working out is a joy. I have run and also used a push scooter around different cities with the Hummingbird in my ears, and even though the earphone had sweat on them, the earphone kept on trucking with no issues at all!
6. I could have said this reason first, and there would probably be zero reasons to read the rest of the review. Since you have read up to this point, I would like to say, thank you! Here you go, my #1 reason for purchasing this product: LIFETIME WARRANTY! Here’s the thing: how many audio products come with a lifetime warranty? I’ll wait......still waiting........ Exactly. To know that if something goes wrong, you can get a replacement, is worth the price of admission - and then some, in my opinion.
Any negatives? Price? Okay, you can obtain great sounding products for a lot less money than what you’ll find on Amazon, however, how many of these products come with a lifetime warranty?
I would say purchase the product because I said so. If you don’t like it, give it to a friend or loved one as a gift who will cherish you as a result.
Live your life to the fullest, and stay blessed!
***I'm not able to upload my video through Head-Fi (without uploading to YouTube first), so here is the link to my video:
Item Weight 1.15 pounds
Package Dimensions 7.1 x 5.7 x 4 inches
Wireless communication technologies Bluetooth
Special features Wireless
Audio Jack Micro USB
Color Black, White or Red