Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350

1. LTTan
    Good sound but poor comfort
    Written by LTTan
    Published Dec 10, 2012
    Pros - Neutral sounding
    Cons - does not fit my ears and head well
    I tried many ways to fit these headphone but i can not find a way to make it fit confortable. i cannot listen to this headphone for more than 30 min than my ears start hurting. i tried bending and repositioning but it does not work for me. My trusted HD25-1 II with the velvet earpads and shortened HD650 cable sits much more comfortable on my head and can listen to it for hours.
    Yes, the DT1350 is sonnically a bit more neutral / ballanced but what good does it when ears are hurting?
    So comfort and quality must go hand in hand in my opinion.
    Soon i'll try the amperior  :)
    1. modulor
      I also own the DT1350 and I have the same sentiments, though I can't compare them to the HD-25 (or any other supra-aural headphones for that matter) which was what I was considering along with these. While they do indeed sound great, I can't wear them for more than 20 minutes with glasses, and without after about 45 minutes it becomes slightly uncomfortable. I haven't tried any bending yet, so that may be an option, but I don't see them working out with glasses since they require a good clamp for the best sound quality. Stylistically and construction-wise, they are very nice, and quite neutral, but comfort is a major plus for me. Since I preferred something portable and with good isolation, I've moved into IEM territory. The Tesla driver is something though!
      modulor, Dec 10, 2012
    2. LTTan
      I wear also glasses so i needed to relief some pressure from the upper part of the pads. I bent the angular shaped bracket that holds the swivel a little inwards. Its made of steel so a bit tough to bend. i stopped fiddeling with it because i think i will sell them ...i wish i could buy some iem's but my ear canals are to small to fit any uni-fit iem...
      LTTan, Dec 10, 2012
    3. hotcom1023
      hotcom1023, Dec 29, 2012
  2. longbowbbs
    Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 in the house
    Written by longbowbbs
    Published Sep 21, 2012
    Pros - Very neutral, Comfortable for long listening, Good Isolation
    Cons - Narrower Sound stage than open cans
    I have been mainly a Sennheiser fan for many years. The DH650's are my go to home HP's and the HD25-1 ii's are the "On the road" reference HP's. There I was in Best Buy and much to my surprise next to the latest Beats was a couple of pair of the DT-1350's! So before I knew what I was doing I had them in the car and plugged into the Fostex HP-P1 and the iPod Classic filled with AIFF lossless files. Luckily I had some time between appointments!
    Over the next 4 days I have logged 15+ hours on them and I am really enjoying the experience. They are a terrific compliment to the Senn HD25's. More neutral with a smoother Bass. The 25's have more low end punch.
    I found that I had a similar experience to the one Jude described in Head-Fi TV Episode 004:

I am now tossing both the HD25's and the DT-1350's into the bag for travel. I'll post more as I get more time and can consider my comments, but each of these portable reference headphones are long term keepers!
      Scotteq and H T T like this.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. longbowbbs
      My feelings too so far. They both have a home here!
      longbowbbs, Sep 22, 2012
    3. EDP
      I am an elctronic music listener, but I own the DT 1350. I amp my DT 1350 to be a bit more emphasized in the lower bass regions, using a JDS Labs cMoyBB with the bass boost switch turned on. Much electronic music (and pop music) often use the entire sound spectrum at almost the same time. I think the bass amped DT 1350 sounds very well with its grand mids and clear highs. I like that better than a fun sounding headphone, so I can always turn on some Frank Sinatra as well. :wink:
      All the portability conveniences these cans have, combined with the great sound, make the DT1350 the perfect choice for me.
      EDP, Oct 22, 2012
    4. longbowbbs
      No surprise you are enjoying them. You will appreciate their flexibility with many styles of music.
      longbowbbs, Oct 22, 2012
  3. Pingupenguins
    Written by Pingupenguins
    Published Jul 15, 2012
    Pros - Best portable I've ever heard
    Cons - Typical On-ear gripe. Hard to wear over a long time
    So I got these used from another head-fi member for $220 shipping. EPIC WIN! I also won some HD25's from Razordog Deals back in June, so I get to compare the two!
    I'm not into writing huge reviews since I don't consider myself to have "golden ears". I'll just say that the HD25's had horrible comfort issues and I hate the plastic build. The DT1350 are much more comfortable, but still have the typical over-ear issues. Pain after prolonged use.
    The main thing I noticed was less of the treble sparkle on the DT1350's vs the HD25's. I like this because I hate piercing sparkle. Another thing I noticed is how the Dt1350 have more impact on the bass than the HD25's. I'd give the edge to the Hd25's for electronic, but for everything else, the DT1350 delivers.
    That's my review. Short and sweet.
  4. EDP
    Beyerdynamic DT1350 - the under one minute review - now updated after 4 month of use
    Written by EDP
    Published Jun 22, 2012
    Pros - Very accurate sound, the best isolation ever from on-ear 'phones, great design with a double head band for a perfect head fit, built like a tank.
    Cons - They might press too much on your ears, but one gets accustomed to this. They might also get a little warm, but not too much.
    UPDATE: I own the DT1350 a little over 4 months now and I want to adjust my review. The adjustments can be read in the last section of this review.
    If you want to read this review in (under) one minute, just read the orange marked parts and you'll get the idea about these headphones!
    This is my first review. I would like to be able to write one of those kick-ass detailed reviews that describe every single hiss and pop and twinkle and rumble the reviewer can get out of the headphone, but I'm not that experienced. So I'll do my best to convince you of the awesomeness of these cans based on my experiences with it. By the way, the $254 is a conversion from about €204.
    Tell me why you got these cans!
    Well, actually I did not buy them, but I got these cans from my parents. I would have bought the DT1350 though. The runner up in the selection was the Sennheiser HD25-1 II. The odds for buying the Beyers:Senns were about 10:1. The reason for this is the build quality of these cans. I have several reasons for wanting a headphone like a 'tank', but here's the main reason:
    All the headphones I have owned broke in some way, partly from heavy usage and not too much care. I don't have the money to buy me a new set of cans every now and then, so I want the headphones to last as long as possible. Now I had never held the DT1350s or the HD25-1 IIs, so I could not judge on what I wanted, but I could judge based on past experiences. I happen to have owned 5 Sennheisers (PX200, PMX200, HD238, CX300-II and PX200-II in that order, to be accurate) and 1 Philips (some old and crappy model) and they all died on me in some way. This is the reason I got not too confident about the Sennheiser build quality. Now, I know I'm comparing a different class of headphones with the HD25-1 II, so my judgement is not fair. I even read reviews stating that the build quality of these Senns are awesome, but I simply wanted different. So I went for the Beyerdynamic Tesla Dynamic Telephone 1350.
    Well, since you say these cans are so sturdily built, I want to hear more!
    You'll definitely hear more with the DT1350s, but more on that later on. Let's talk build quality.
    It all starts with the jack plug (3.5mm / 1/8 inch). You will never see a jack plug like this one again in your life. It's so large that you are actually tempted to try and break it. You won't succeed. Okay, I'm overstating this. It's gold plated metal and metal can be bent if you'd want to. The manual part of the plug is thick and large, but still made from plastic, so obviously not unbreakable. The point is: this is not the plug you'll rip the cable out of accidentally, nor will it show signs of wear after a long time. A 1/4 inch screw-on gold-plated jack plug as well as a quite sturdy looking airplane connector come with the headphone.
    The cable is next. It's not too thick nor too thin. I really hated the uber-thin cable the PX200-II cans have. I needed something else and the DT1350s gave me that.
    Next up: insertion. The cable enters single sided into the actual ear pad and these pads, wow, to put it in an honest way, are quite bulky! I can image one would not like the depth of them, but I love the size. They radiate potential. The ear pads show real sturdiness and at the same time great comfort and isolation. The foam is dense, hence the ultimate isolation.
    The ear pads hang from the aluminium head band and this one is not only very well built, but the design is absolutely gorgeous. The double head band provides a great wearing stability. These cans won't slip of your head accidentally if you bump them to something somehow. The two bands are beautifully thin and therefore won't leave a headband mark in your hair, like some bigger headphones will do. Wearing these cans with the head bands a bit split looks great. The little cushions on each of the bands are small but serve their purpose well.
    Another part of the head band is the cable from the left to the right ear pad. It leaves the left ear pad on the opposite side of the jack cable insertion and enters the right ear pad in the same way. This cable it a little thinner and is exposed around the head band joints. It's the only downside in the build quality, but I think it's hard to hurt one of these two cable parts. They benefit the design, though!
    The Beyerdynamic DT1350 comes with a carrying case. What can I say about it? The case is black, it's the smallest possible size for these cans, it comes with two handy closable pouches and it's a little too hard to fit the headphone in the bag. I simply can't find the right head band length to make them fit perfectly in the bag!
    The overall build quality is excellent. The headphones are quite heavy for their size, mostly due to the weight of the drivers. The 'tank' criterion is met with.
    Enough jabbering about the build quality, let's get to what we want to hear (pun intended): sound quality.
    Like I said in the introduction, I don't know how to describe sound due to my experience (not too much and with lower quality headphones), so don't expect my description of the sound to be that accurate.
    Overall sound
    The DT1350s have a very natural sounding signature. I would describe them as very neutral, accurate and analytical, which is good for people that want to hear all the details in music.
    The sound stage is quite impressive, but nothing too overwhelming here (like I said, neutral). The low-mid-high balance is very pleasant.
    The quality of these headphones really showed when I tried using the equalisers in my digital sources. The headphones will produce a different sound when you alter the input to them, but the sound would not get better (which was not the case with my other headphones). I like the sound the way it is meant to be heard by the artist and the Beyerdynamic DT1350 gives me just that. Separation of instruments is easy with these cans and it gives me a great deal of fun to rediscover music.
    Also, these cans do their job at low and high volumes. I was pleased to hear this, because I do use my volume controls quite a lot and I hate it when a certain part of the frequency spectrum drops when lowering the volume again, which is not the case with the DT1350.
    The bass is there and to my standards (I like punchy and rumbling bass) very well produced, but not too punchy or rumbling, but controlled all the way down to the lowest frequencies. The way these Beyers produce the bass really complements the mids and the mids complement the bass as well in the mid-bass part of the spectrum.
    The mids are stunningly beatiful. Again, not too harsh or over produced, but so accurate it's breathtaking sometimes. The song by 'Birdy' (female vocaliste-pianiste) called 'Skinny Love' is reproduced very moving (emotionally). Male vocals sound 'complete', which means that the lows and highs are all there. The mids are the best feature of these cans' sound quality.
    The highs are, like the bass, very well complementary to the mids. The 'image' is complete. The highs are not harsh nor fatiguing, but they are to be heard (of course) and I think that the DT1350 reproduces all but the highest of high frequencies very well, which every headphone in this price range does sooner or later.
    The isolation of these headphones is so good, I say it's the new isolating standard for portable headphones. Even on low volume music is left inside and noise is left outside. I believe that the best headphones, except for the ones for listening at home, block out as much as possible noise. This way, you won't need to crank up the volume that high (which isn't good for your ears either) and you hear what you want.
    Well, that sounds great (it does [​IMG]), how do they fit?
    These cans, like most, will need some getting used to in the beginning. I came from light weight headphones and these phones are certainly not light weight. The first time I put them on my thoughts were: I really can't wear these, they hurt too much. Maybe my 'two little flaps' are too sensitive, maybe my head is too big (it is quite long, but not too wide, which is the direction the pressure works).
    En fin, my ears got used to the pressure and now I enjoy the comfort the DT1350 brings. The pressure also ensures the superb isolation. I read in review people had trouble positioning their DT1350 for optimal isolation and comfort, but I have no trouble at all. When you find out what head band size is for you, they'll pop onto you head and ears without a problem. Just plug it in and enjoy listening!
    The dual head band ensures you of a comfortable and secure fit.
    The dense foam on the ear pads tend to isolate more than just sound: heat. The DT1350 is not cool, but they're certainly not unpleasantly hot.
    I can wear them for prolonged sessions, but it's comfortable to put these off my head once per hour. Maybe I'm still getting used to them.
    So, are they worth the price?
    Definitely! The Beyerdynamic DT1350 is a great headphone for people that want a portable headphone that is almost indestructible, isolates you from noise and, oh, most importantly, sounds breath taking. Its price is a step up from most portable cans but its experience is at least two steps up from the others.
    Thanks for the review. I'm certain to buy these now!
    My pleasure. I enjoyed writing my first review and I hope you'll enjoy these cans as much as I do. Consider your options and needs well and you'll see that this is an all-round winner.
    4 months later: adjustment of opinion on the Beyerdynamic DT 1350
    After some time of intensive usage, I'd like to adjust my review on a few points.
    First of all is the comfort. I have stated that these cans can press quite hard on your ears, up to the point that it hurts. This is not true anymore. I don't know what's changed, but I could wear these for hours without noticing a thing. The extreme isolation adds to the comfort (psychologically). Maybe the head band pressure has decreased over time, due to use. Maybe my ears and head have adapted themselves completely. I think it's probably both.
    Secondly, the sound quality. I almost exclusively use my JDS Labs cMoyBB portable headphone amp while listening to these cans. I do this, because of the bass boost switch and the effect on the sound when it's turned on. It's not that I don't like the bass in the DT 1350, but I think that it's tremendous mid-high quality sometimes makes the bass feel a bit shy. This is especially the case in electronic music, where usually the entire sound spectrum (from low to high) is used, all frequencies almost at the same time. There it's noticeable that these 'phones are really detailed and clear, but for my taste a bit lacking in bass (even though the punch is there). With the aforementioned amp, the minimal lack of bass is turned into a bass experience to be proud of, while the clean sounding mids and highs are still shining to their full power.
    These two adjustments, along with many, many practical conveniences these Beyers have, make the DT 1350 the perfect headphone for me.
    I have adjusted the comfort rating from 4 to 4.5 stars, because I think the long term comfort is better than the short term (still no 5 stars, which would be a headphone that does not press on your ears at all).
      stalepie and icerayrayfish like this.
    1. Night Crawler
      Love the implementation of the orange text for a quick read! In any case, great write-up. I'd have to agree with the sound impressions, but for long term listening, I found them terribly uncomfortable. Please note, however, that I wear prescription glasses (without which I'm practically blind), and I tried for months time to become accustomed to on-ears, particularly the DT1350 and HD25-1 II. While I absolutely love the sound of both, in the end, neither one served practical for my intents and purposes, and the persistent pressure of on-ears does NOT fare well for long-term listening, as far as I'm concerned. I instead opted for the ATH-ES10 after having read |joker|'s review of them, and I've never, ever, ever looked back. On the other hand, I didn't find the ES10's pads at all uncomfortable, but I still went the extra mile, and modded my ES10's to fit my ATH-M50 pads, after which they were no longer on-ear, but over-the-ear. The end result is simply... how do you I put this... O.O
      I'm mentioning the above NOT to undermine the DT1350 by any means, because my case is rather unique. Rather, take it as a warning to those who, like me, wear glasses. Where SQ is concerned, the DT1350 hardly disappoints, and I'd recommend them through and through in that regard. As far as comfort is concerned, to those, like me, who wear prescription glasses, try them before you buy them, that's all I'm saying. Else, consider the ES10's, which are still every bit portable on-ears, sound stellar, have significantly larger pads than either the DT1350/HD25-1 II, and may serve far more practical for long term listening. :)
      Night Crawler, Jun 22, 2012
    2. EDP
      Thanks for the comment, Night Crawler!
      This encourages me to write more reviews when I have more gear... At the moment I only own the DT1350 and some older stuff, which have been reviewed tons of times before on Head-Fi (not that these cans haven't been reviewed a lot already...).
      The ATH-ES10 looks like a great headphone too. I like the design, although it's less 'outspoken' than the DT1350's looks. Like you might have read above, I'm a bit afraid of plastic headphones nowadays. The ES10 looks a bit plasticky too, but the core might be metallic.
      I totally agree on your point of wearing glasses. Yesterday I tried to wear sunglasses with them while on the street, but it was hard to get used to it. I don't think it was impossible and it was not uncomfortable, but just not practical. I think that for people wearing glasses, the DT1350 is not the best option. You might want to take a step down (wallet friendlier too) to cans with smaller ear pad size, like the Sennheiser PX100(-II) (open) or PX200(-II) (closed). They weigh about half and press less on the ears, while still having a bang-for-you-buck sound. In the US there might be better options, Beyers and Senns are cheaper in Europe, 'cause they're European brands.
      I think that larger headphones (covering the enitire ear or full sized) need to have very comfy foam pads. Something like the Beyerdynamic DT880 is extremely comfortable (not this category of headphone), so my guess is that those are worth a consideration.
      I might look into a DT1350 mod for the earpads some day. Don't know if this is possible at all, but they're replaceable, so maybe some softer pads (that isolate less) could add a little to comfort.
      Maybe giving the headband a stretch will help too, since it's metal and that will adapt when you stress it a bit. I think it wouldn't help much, though.
      Thanks for the heads-up and happy listening!
      EDP, Jun 23, 2012
  5. ohaider
    Amazing Portables
    Written by ohaider
    Published Apr 2, 2012
    Pros - -Sounds great -Very portable
    Cons - Need to play around with fitment to get a nice seal. Gets hot.
    I already have a nice computer rig to listen to, but I will be transferring to school in another place, so not wanting to lug around my computer, etc I set out for a nice pair of portables.
    Choices were quite easy for me - it was between the HD25-1 II and the Beyerdynamic DT1350 as I wanted the best pair I could get in terms of durability and SQ.
    At this very moment I do own both pairs of headphones. I originally bought the HD25s first because it was the most recommended pair of portables I had read about. When I received them, I thought, "They really live up to the hype" After a day or two I read about the DT1350 completely beating out the DT1350, so I just had to order myself a pair to see what that was all about.
    Fast forward a week and my DT1350s arrived. I took them out immediately and tried them out and my first impressions were that they were extremely neutral. If I had to compare them to any pair of IEM/HP I have, I would say they are like a better sounding Etymotic HF-5 or HD600.
    Bass: It is very well extended and is moderately punchy if the song calls for it. It doesn't sound as punchy as the HD25 most likely due to the mid-bass hump on the HD25. This is probably the reason why I thought the 1350 sounded a bit thin at first compare to the HD25.
    Mids: There is no competition here between the DT1350 and HD25. The DT1350 have beautiful mids and aren't recessed at all compared to the HD25. I thought the HD25's mids sounded fine and then I put on the 1350 and the mids were upfront with the rest of the FR. This, in my opinion, is what makes the 1350 better than the HD25.
    Highs: Don't have much to say here. I think they both have great treble and I can't really tell that much of a difference with either. Neither is harsh or fatiguing to listen to.
    My only gripes with these HPs are that: I really have to fiddle around with the fitment to get them to seal all the way. They can get a little hot when sitting on my ears. The cable is also moderately microphonic, but not enough to annoy the crap out of me.
    Overall, these headphones really impress and I could not be happier with this purchase.
  6. Siftah
    Great closed headphone.
    Written by Siftah
    Published Jan 22, 2012
    Pros - comfy, closed, sound quality, ergonomics.
    Cons - none
    I bought these to use in the office at work as my other headphones are Grado SR325is which are open and therefore bleed too much noise.
    I spent a lot of time reading reviews and trying to choose between these and the HD25-ii's. I'm very happy with this purchase - they don't sound *quite* as good as the Grado's I have, but they're excellent in every other respect.
    The treble isn't quite as crisp on these as the SR325is's, you can't always pick out the detail in high-hats or cymbals as well as the Grados. but in every other respect they sound great, this really is nitpicking.
    They're much lighter and easier to wear, the single (much thinner) cable and 3.5mm jack is perfect for use in the office. They stay comfortable for extended wear and fit my small head perfectly :)
    The carry case provided is ideal for packing them into and taking them home each night (no way I'd leave these in the office overnight!).
    I mostly drive these from an iPhone 4S so they're ideal having a 3.5mm jack and a nice thin cable. I don't really think they need an amp, comparing the sound straight from the iPhone 4S with them being driven by an Aune MKii, digitally fed over coax from a RealTek 888 and iTunes playing lossless audio - the difference is tiny, if any. Having said that, I have got a Fiio E17 on order so I'll do further testing then...
    Highly recommended pair of closed cans, perfect for the office, seem to be easily driven and with enough quality to really let you get immersed in the music.
      rocksteady65 and Syros like this.
    1. JSitthi
      I'd love to hear your impressions on the DT1350 paired with the E17, it's a combo I am considering as well. Please update your review when you receive the Fiio, thanks!
      JSitthi, Jan 22, 2012
    2. Jazz1
      I'm also enjoying the DT1350. Going on my first flight with them this week to MacWorld. I hope they keep most of the noise out on the plane. I also hope they hold up comfort wise. I've got a B&W P5 to back them up should they become uncomfortable on my 5 hour airtime.
      Jazz1, Jan 22, 2012
  7. turokrocks
    Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350
    Written by turokrocks
    Published Nov 21, 2011
    Pros - Wonderful sound
    Cons - The right side cup was not holding in its position horizantly
    I got the Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350  because of Jude's review, and I thank him for that, the sound is fantastic the portability factor is very welcomed, I love this headphone it sounds great and easy to handle.
    I wished the metal piece that moves the cups up and down would stay in its position esp. the right one .
    1. pockits
      I do think like you, they sound better that the t50p... and they are more confortable aswell.
      pockits, Nov 22, 2011
  8. aamefford
    Beyerdynamic DT1350
    Written by aamefford
    Published Oct 8, 2011
    Pros - Sound Quality, form factor, cool case, isolation
    Cons - price, sensitivity, sort of uncomfortalbe
    I love them - great sound, a detailed, slightly warm, non-fatiguing sound signature.  They are very portable, cool looking, well built.
    I tolerate the lack of comfort and the fact that they are quite sensitive, and leave most amps with very little volume travel.
      Syros likes this.
  9. AstralStorm
    Unbeatable quality in portable form
    Written by AstralStorm
    Published Sep 30, 2011
    Pros - Supreme neutrality, detailing, extension; portable; very secure fit; easy to drive; good isolation; room-like soundstaging and reverberation
    Cons - Highish pressure on ears initially (lessens with time); might be fiddly with large ears; standard, nonserviceable cable; could use a bit more subbass
    1. AstralStorm
      Actually, the comfort is steadily improving - seems like the earpads are modeling to the ears.
      AstralStorm, Oct 7, 2011
    2. AstralStorm
      Just as a reminder, these are not the best headphones ever. Just potentially the best headphones in this form factor.
      AstralStorm, Jul 26, 2015
  10. metalsonata
    Beyerdynamic DT 1350: A Review
    Written by metalsonata
    Published Jul 16, 2011
    Pros - Amazing sound, sounds alright even out of poor sources, great case comes with headphones, great isolation, very handsome and sturdy
    Cons - Not many user replacable parts, a little pricey, uncomfortable for long listening sessions, some design/aesthetic flaws, very finicky
    I couldn't believe my ears the first time I heard the DT1350. It seriously blew me away. I was expecting it to sound pretty good, given all of the positive reception it has been receiving here and elsewhere, but Jesus. I wasn't expecting it to sound *this good. * In fact, I was so awestruck by it that I even thought it might be better than my full-sizes. (It's not, as I later confirmed--though it played a lot nicer with my jazz collection than my Denon AHD2000, to my ears. Mingus's The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady was simply beautiful on the DT1350.)
    The Great:
    -The sound. I've listened to the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, which many people seem to agree is the best sounding on-ear sealed portable headphone in production. And they are certainly very good headphones, there's no denying that. I think these are significantly better, however. The bass is more finely controlled (but still deep and heady enough to feel positively seismic at times), the sound stage is wider, the instrument separation is clearer, and all the little hidden details from your favorite tracks are easier to pick out. Other people are far better at describing a headphone's sound signature than I am, so I'll leave the rest to them. Suffice to say, I'm very impressed with the way these headphones perform.
    -The DT 1350 does respond very well to amping, I've found--but even plugged straight into my 4-year old iPod Touch they maintain a lot of their positive sonic character. (Update: that said, they do sound quite a bit better amped--I'm not sure that I'd recommend these headphones unless you have an amp to power them, but they'll still do the trick without one.)
    -These are very portable. Whether folded flat around your neck or traveling with you in the supplied carrying case, the DT 1350 can pretty much go with you everywhere that you need to go.
    -Speaking of the case, it's pretty nice. I use it to not only hold the headphones, but also various adapters, interconnects, and even a couple of hex wrenches. You know--stuff you need everyday. ^^
    -They isolate extremely well. If you're like me and earbuds and IEMs cause you physical pain and discomfort, but wish there was a headphone out there that approached their ability to isolate, you're in luck.
    The Good:
    -Very attractive design. Probably not to everyone's taste, but I find them to be a real joy to hold and look at every time I take them out for use, aside from a few issues I raise below.
    -The split headband is nice--I've never worn a headphone that was easier to keep in place than the DT1350.
    The Nitpicks:
    -So far as I can tell, the only things that are easily replaced by users are the ear pads. In this regard, I wish Beyerdynamic had paid more attention to the design of the HD 25-1 II.
    -Kinda sorta pricey. Do your research first before taking the plunge on these.
    -They're not the most comfortable cans in the world. Not that anyone in their right mind would expect them to be... But boy, if you get overzealous about listening to them, you're really gonna pay the price for it later when you have to pry these things off your aching skull. The clamping force on these is seriously pretty intense--which no doubt helps with the isolation and whatnot, but ouch. I recommend not wearing them for much longer than 2 hours--4 absolute max, unless you're made of far sterner stuff than I am. (Update: the comfort is considerably better after these break in--or after your head breaks in.)
    -While I like the overall design and aesthetics of these headphones, I do have a few niggles with them:
          -If you're not careful when swiveling the ear pads flat, you can catch the cord right where it enters the cups between the metal bales (think that's the right term) and the metal band that holds the adjustment sliders. If you did this particularly forcefully and repeatedly over a period of time without realizing it, I imagine that this would not be a good thing.
         -The plastic sheaths on the split headband look and feel rather cheap.
         -The pleather padding on the underside of the headband is not convincing. Not only do the two strips of pleather seem to be off center on my pair, but they also seem to be unevenly and under-stuffed. The overall effect of the headband is a tad bit on the sloppy side. (Update: One of these crummy pads came nearly completely off on my pair after about 4 and a half months of semi-regular use--so not only are the pads themselves of poor quality, but it would seem that the adhesive that holds them onto the band is sub-par, as well. Obviously, it wasn't anything that a little bit of firm glue couldn't fix, but still, I was pretty annoyed.)
    -Finding the sweet spot for these headphones can be a real challenge. Even if you have no troubles finding it once, you may be hard pressed to find it the next time you put them on. And even once you do have them on and have them sounding great, if you're at all like me, you're gonna be constantly readjusting and poking and proding them trying to see if you can make them sound even better. In my experience, the bass is the easiest to recognize aspect of the DT 1350's sound that is affected by how close you are to the sweetspot. Close but not quite and it sounds pretty flabby. Too far away and it's painfully anemic.
    The Bad:
    -This applies to folks with long, wavy/curly hair only. These will pull on your hair. They will pull your hair out. They will get stuck in your hair. If someone is trying to talk to you and you're trying to take the headphones off so that you can listen to them without seeming rude but you're doing it too fast, they will get caught in your hair and make you look like a complete doofus. You will seriously be standing there with these headphones tangled up and hanging in your glorious mane of hair with someone laughing at you and offering to fetch you a pair of scissors. The key? Remove them slowly, extending the headband as you go.
    -The cable makes a lot of noise when it rubs against other objects. Pretty lame for a portable pair of headphones.
    In Sum:
    The DT 1350s are a pretty finicky and occasionally painful little pair of cans that sometimes make you want to hate them. But then they slip into their sweetspot and they're positively magical, and all is right with the world, for at least a little while. There may be other portable sealed headphones out there that will match your needs and price range better than these will--so, as always, do your homework first. And take into serious consideration the problems that people are bringing up with these headphones. I think they're worth it--you may not think the same.
    (Update: Lowered the overall score a little bit and tweaked the other scores to make room for my frustration with the headband pads--read above.)
    (Update: It seems to be pretty universally accepted that Beyerdynamic has been having some quality control issues with these headphones--if you get a pair that sounds like it should it's awesome: but it would seem that there are some pairs out there that sound and measure terribly.)
      rocksteady65, Raketen and Syros like this.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. metalsonata
      I believe there have been minor updates to the headphones since their release--however, it's also pretty much an acknowledged fact at this point that Beyerdynamic is having quality control issues with the DT1350s--if you buy one, you never really know which flavor you're going to get. I've updated my review to include this information.
      metalsonata, Sep 23, 2012
    3. Lord Soth
      Wonderful review.
      I actually prefer the DT1350 to my Beyer DT880 (600 Ohms), sonics wise that is.
      However, my DT880 are more suitable for long term (i.e. 5-8 hrs) listening.
      I might fork out the US$1 GRAND for the Beyer T1 model just to get the same amount of combined sonics and comfort. :)
      Lord Soth, Nov 25, 2012
    4. jagathon
      I appreciate the comment on cord noise, if it's portable use that I want then cord noise is important. Wish more reviews commented on this. Thanks.
      jagathon, May 8, 2015