The DT 250 is a lightweight, closed dynamic headphone, which was specially designed for studio...

Beyerdynamic DT 250 - Headphones ( ear-cup )

Average User Rating:
  • The DT 250 is a lightweight, closed dynamic headphone, which was specially designed for studio applications. It features an efficient neodymium magnet system and accurate frequency response. The wide transmission range between 10 - 30, 000 Hz is another important feature. The soft circumaural earcups offer a high wearing comfort and excellent ambient noise insulation. The padded headband is fully adjustable. The connecting cables to the earcups run safely in the headband.The connecting cable is single-sided, coiled, with gold plated stereo mini jack (3.5 mm) and 1/4" adapter (6.35 mm). All parts are easy to replace.

Recent User Reviews

1. asymcon
    "Exceptional sensitive high-impedance cans"
    Pros - Very efficient, flat sounding, lightweight and strikingly revealing.
    Cons - Spatialization is not the strongest aspect
    Clamp force and cup size
    Not foldable
    I looked high and low for good set of closed back headphones, as my current job almost dictates the use of exclusively closed cans. Also I needed something for my bedroom recording to keep pace with all sources I have at hand without ever needing amplification.
    DT-250 came right in - first I was contemplating DT-770, but having read mixed feelings about the treble intensity and since Premium range was discontinued, they were the next logical choice. Being vintage AKG fan, I could have aimed towards K550 or K271 but those had drawbacks I was reluctant to accept. Surprisingly, DT-250 were hard to find as everyone seem to be pushing forth the trio 770/880/990.

As my gear is of varying output impedance, some sources even above 20 Ohms, I wanted at least 250Ohms, but possibly not at expense of sensitivity, which would have to be high enough to accomodate low-voltage sources. Again in this regard, DT-250 in their 250Ohm variant have not disappointed. With 100dB/mW rated sensitivity at 1kHz, they can be easily driven from sub-1Vrms sources, such as Sansa Clip+ up to ear damaging levels.

In regards to comfort and sound, they sound very balanced, not one part of the spectrum sticks out. Some might have noticed the ever so slightly pronounced trebles, but coming from K240DFs, I don't find them overpowered, unlike DT880 (both 250 and 600Ohm versions). My only complaint would be aimed towards the bass, it's somewhat less defined compared to K601, but that could be due to the construction and something to be expected of closed headphones. I don't enjoy forward bass as others might, in fact having it slightly recessed is what I found useful for long sessions. DT-250 do not have forward bass, and it's level with the rest of the spectrum as with K601. Spatialization leaves something to be desired, the 'soundstage' lacks both width and depth of semi-open or open headphones, but they make up for it by reproducting textures with incredible accuracy.
    IMO, while narrower, the soundstage is still better than DT880, which were very confusing with familiar tracks.

The clamping force takes a while to get used to, and for people with glasses I would strongly encourage to try wearing them before purchase. Some people might have problems with fitting their ears inside the cups, there's virtually no space reserve. My ears fit the just, but not without wiggling the cups a bit.

Overall I would highly recommend the DT-250 to anyone who is on market for good closed back, durable and not overly expensive set of headphones.
  2. eimis
    ""Here's your music bro, chill out.""
    Pros - Great overall reproduction of music, durability
    250Ohm version sounds really nice, I just put them on after keeping in storage because of ATH-R70x.

I can definitely see how this could be an end-game headphone for some people, a retirement headset, as someone has mentioned around here. They're durable (passed the sit-on test) while being capable of very satisfying and pleasant rendition of music that is probably quite close to how it should sound. The music is presented as a beautiful whole, a full performance where every instrument is just there in it's place both tonally and in the sound-stage. This could be a retirement headphone literally, because of the slightly sparkly treble, just a little top-end sparkle. Vocals sound great, there's a slight emphasis on them compared to ATH-R70x which is really good.  A weird thing to say, but DT250-250 sound earthy, organic and natural to me. When you put these on, you hear music, a performance, not details; separate parts don't call for attention. They're like here's your music bro, chill out. Not suitable for commuting as they isolate poorly in the lower frequency region.

My personal recommendation in the price range for their sound.

Edit :: 2016-04-28:
    Mirrored impressions while returning to them. They bring every note and nuance in music that it sounds like it provides the 'whole picture' without focusing on unimportant details.
  3. markanini
    "Get the right ones"
    Pros - Potentially excellent sound(250Ohm), comfort, modular construction
    Cons - Thick sound(80Ohm)
    I own the 80Ohm model, do note that the 250Ohm model should sound very different.

Looks: You'll look like you're working for the sound crew of a broadcast company.

Construction: Solid materials used through out. Some weak points where the headphone and cups meet. Here's the kicker, though: All parts including the head band, driver and cable can be ordered as spare parts. Potentially this will be the only phone in your collection that you'll own for the rest of your life.

Comfort: Not THE most comfortable I ever wore but I can have them on for 4+ hours daily without discomfort. My head is about medium size and I wear glasses.

Sound: The 80Ohm model sounds rather thick, intelligibility is not great. On the plus side the sound is never harsh or grating and instrumental textures are reproduced in a realistic way. Might be favorable for electronica and industrial genres.

For kicks I applied the difference between the DT250-80 and DT250-250 frequency response, based on measurements by doctorhead.ru, to a 1/3 octave resolution. Basically this simulates the response of the DT250-250 on the DT250-80. Assuming the measurements were made under more or less indentical conditions the DT250-250 should be very impressive. The bass is deep enough and non-booming, low-to-mid-mids are neutral and finally upper mids and and up are unusually present yet smoothly extended, which is quite rare. If you wanna try this curve on your DT250-80 here's the EQ preset:http://www.box.com/s/76n1uzaaxh5nsmhs89of
    Requires foobar2000 and foo_dsp_xgeq

Conclusion: My personal sentiment is that I should have gotten the DT250-250 instead of the DT250-80. The promise of "easily driven" phones is hit and miss anyway, for example if you happen to plug into a headphone-out with a high impedance frequency response will suffer more on an easily driven phone. Anyway, I think the DT250's have many favorable traits such as modular construction, good comfort and potentially very accurate, neutral sound. Not being very expensive it adds up to a great value.
    yvfed1 likes this.

User Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!