Lust for life - love of musicBeoPlay H6 is crafted in luxurious materials, and makes a bold...

Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6

Average User Rating:
4.0625/5,
  • Lust for life - love of musicBeoPlay H6 is crafted in luxurious materials, and makes a bold statement in terms of design. With a choice of black or natural leather it is a perfect match if you refuse to compromise quality in sound, design or craftsmanship.DESIGNBeoPlay H6 is designed by Jakob Wagner and is an around-ear type of headphone, where comfort and great acoustic performance have been central elements in the design. When placing headphones on the ear, it is important that you feel pressure in places where it does not bother you and where you feel the device rest securely and does not fall off. This took a lot of experimenting to find the right spot, as it seems we have very different perception of what feels right.SOUNDBeoPlay H6 offers a truly natural and authentic sound performance with focus on a clear mid-range with a balanced bass and treble performance. Includes a 40 mm custom designed driver with a neodymium magnet in a closed headphone design. BeoPlay H6 has a bass port which optimizes the bass performance and the drivers are slightly angled to get the best distance and sound direction into the ears. BeoPlay H6 also allows you to share your music with friends by simply by linking up multiple headphones to one digital device (iPad, iPhone, etc).USECarefully selected high quality materials like leather and aluminum make BeoPlay H6 comfortable to wear and will bring you a sense of everyday luxury. Also, every day wear and tear merely adds patina, and makes BeoPlay H6 age beautifully. The softness of the lambskin on the ear pads is the first thing you'll notice, when you put on BeoPlay H6. When you wear the headphone, the memory foam inside the ear pads adapts ensuring great comfort. The head band needs to be durable and age with grace. Therefore, we have chosen cowhide leather, that gains patina and personality when worn.

Recent User Reviews

1. BenF
    2.0/5,
    "Looks better than it sounds"
    Pros - Looks great
    Cons - Overpriced
    Bad sound
    Bad comfort
    I have purchased H6 because I liked my H7 a lot, and multiple reviews claimed that H7 doesn't sound as good as H6, e.g. https://marco.org/headphones-closed-portable#h7
    Before I purchased H7, I have compared it in the store with H6, H8 and Momentum 2. H7 was a clear winner, and I had no doubts that I have made the right choice.
    However, the reviews of H6 were so great, that a few months later I have decided to give it a chance.
    I've decided to go with the first revision, as I wanted to experience the more "audiophile", less bassy tuning.

This turned out to be a huge disappointment, comparable perhaps only with my disappointment from HD600.
    At first, I thought that it just needed some burn-in (H7 sure did), but the sound didn't change.

Comfort:

H6's headband is wider than Takstar Pro 82, but it has less padding.

Same is true when comparing with XPT100

H6 pads are rounder and smaller than Pro 82

Same is true for XPT100

If the NVX XPT100 with the ComfortMax pads is 10 out of 10 comfort-wise, and Pro 82 is an 8-8.5, then H6 is a 7.
    Surprisingly, it is more comfortable than H7, despite thinner pads - possibly due to lower pressure on the ears.
    H6 and H7 pads are not interchangeable, and of course you can't use 3rd party pads either.

Isolation/Leakage:
    There is very little isolation, not a great choice for noisy environments.
    Leakage is an issue as well.

Bass:
    Quantity is neutral, and I wish I could say that about the quality.
    Bass is vert muddy, badly controlled. I don't think I've heard bass that bad since Beats Solo HD.
    H7 has a MUCH better bass, closer to Pro 82' quality than H6's.

Mids:
    Mids are very veiled and recessed, timbre is off. It reminds me of HD600.
    Just look at this horrible FR (from Innerfidelity):

It makes the old Pro 80 sound like a mid-forward phone, not to mention Pro 82.

Treble:
    As you can guess from the FR above, this is a dark headphone - nothing to write home about.

Soundstage/imaging:
    Sounstage is closed in, very headphone-y
    The whole presentation is very headphone-y, music is being played "at me", not around me.
    Music is coming from a distance, if only I could push it closer to me...

Accessories:
    H6 comes with a horrible cable, and you can't easily replace it - since the cable is showed inside the cup, the plug must be very thin.
    Here is a comparison with Pro 82 and B8 cables:

However, cable isn't the reason for the bad sound - H7 sounds great with it.

Overall:
    Complete and utter disappointment
  2. Saasaa
    "Comparing with Beyerdynamic T-51p - Beo H6 MKII is the winner"
    Pros - going deeper in details than T-51p
    Cons - sound is somehow light however bass is not neglected
    It is decent design. Not too much to complain if minimalism is familiar to you. Cable is short what in my case is an advantage.
    Comfort is as expected. H6 sit rather hard but the headband tension is acceptable.
    Definitively I do not like the plug in system - replacement is nice feature for headphones cable but beo solution is annoying - to get them working you will need some equilibristics. Exchange plugs brings different left-right channel amplification :frowning2:. It is very narrow slot if pushing the plug into the socket you get stereo sound with both channels.

So far not too good. If finally get the canes to work the sound is enjoyable. Especially middle range deliver nice touch of impressions.Sound is spacious and echos sound long and gives all what guys in studio designed.
    Bass is very well defined since not too heavy. After few days you will like it and even get correct sound balance without losing the mid and high spectrum.

Comparing with outstanding T-51p Beo H6 are better in many important areas. Price is a bit too high looking for some engineering problems you will be facing. No travel case.

I do not know I will stick to H6 for a long time. If no problems with cable and balance they could be a long term winner.
  3. nanigahoshino
    "Student Review & Comparison to ALO K701s"
    Pros - Good Detail / Wide Soundstage / Closed & Portable / Comfort / Pretty
    Cons - Expensive / Slight Leaking / Stock Cable
    This is a review of the B&O H6 (2nd Gen) and comparison to the ALO Modded AKG 701 18AWG Cryo, which I use at home on a daily basis.  It is also my first headphone review.

Background & Motivations:

I am a student and I needed a pair of closed, portable headphones during commutes on public transit, as well as for long study sessions at the library.  I recently parted ways with my Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless, and was glad to do so.

My brief impression of the Urbanite XL Wireless:  Although they are extremely tough, portable, and feature-heavy, I could not enjoy listening to them.  The bass was overpowering, detail was lacking and muddled across all the frequencies.  The soundstage was quite closed and narrow quite tiring to listen to.  The ear cushions were a little stiff and uncomfortable.  I ended up using them more for passive noise-cancelling rather than for sound.  Though, all things considered, Urbanites is meant to be a Beats competitor, so they are not bad in this regard.

Anyways, it was time to move on.  I wanted to get a headphone that would be closed-back and portable, but also satisfy in the sound department.  I decided to get the H6 (2nd Gen) based on Marco's glowing review and #1 ranking in his mega-review with many other portable, closed headphones.

Once I had a listen to them, I knew that they were something special.  So I decided to do write a quick review and comparison to my ALO K701s, which I know well and am very fond of.

Sound (9 / 10):

Though not quite as wide and detailed as the K701s, the sound in general is at the very least, 75% of the way there.  This is absolutely incredible for a closed and portable headphone, hence the rating.  I would not distinguish between the two with music playing in the background, while studying.

The H6 sounds like an open-back headphone, but it is not.  It feels a little closer to my ears with a little less depth, though the rest of the soundstage is still weirdly wide, as if the ear cushions were not really preventing the music from leaking out.  I get the feeling that the people around me can hear everything (touching on this topic later).  The K701s are still quite a bit wider, though I would say that the H6 is about 60% of the way there, which is really really good considering I would not even bother to compare this aspect with other closed headphones. I find listening to closed headphones a bit tiring over longer periods of time, with the H6 being no exception still.

The bass is about four to six decibels louder than the K701s, which is known to lack the bass that many prefer.  I would say that this is a good thing, as the sound signature out of the box is more appreciable, without having to tinker with equalizer settings.  Everything else is good too, with mids smooth and pronounced, and clear highs.  Imaging is pretty good as well.

An amplifier and a good source helps, but not necessary as with the K701s.  It sounded decent even through my Xperia Z5 smartphone, though the bass would "fizzle" out (or otherwise not express itself fully) due to the lack of power.  My Macbook Pro was able to drive these without much problem.  Everything sounded marginally better through my FiiO E12 amp, with the increased clarity and complete bass signature throughout.

I do not use these with the stock cable.  I use the V-Moda audio-only cable, which are gold-plated and incredibly durable.  It is not an exact fit, so I had to really push it in so that the contacts would match.  The quality of the stock cable is fine for what it is, but I decided to get the audio-only cable to eliminate any potential variables.

Comfort / Build (9.5 / 10):

These headphones are incredibly light; so light in fact that they almost felt tacky when I first lifted them out of the box.  The weight definitely contributes to the comfort though, as I do not really feel the weight of these headphones on my head, even when I turn and move around.  The leather ear cushions are completely sublime; even if I happen to be wearing these upside down, backwards, and at a really poor angle, it is going to feel amazing still.  The leather ear cushions rests on the sides of your ears, yet still manages to achieve near absolute comfort without being an over-ear headphone.  I would sleep with these on, if only I could do so with music playing in the background.

The padding on the headband is decent, though there are bumps that are reminisce of the K701s before AKG eventually removed them due to complaints and people physically removing them.  It is not really a problem though, due to the non-existent weight of the H6, along with the soft clamp.

While the leather exterior is delicate (especially around the soft ear cushions), the build quality is on point.

Appearance (10 / 10):

Simplistic and stylish, it seems that the H6 has captured all of our hearts!  Except... my H6 is the special edition "Champagne Grey", and indeed it is grey.  Pictures online make it look much more white than it really is.  Anyways, I am not sure if anybody would buy the H6 if they thought they were ugly, so I am rating this category 10/10.

Weaknesses:

The H6 is expensive for a pair of consumer headphones, but they are very good for what they are.  A good pair of headphones is an investment, especially if one uses them daily as I do.  I would not recommend these if audio quality is not your top priority in your portable headphones, and would prefer to have additional features instead.

The ear cushions, while comfortable, only slightly dampen the noise from the outside environment.  Though nothing profuse, the same issue presents itself once again in leaking music for other persons to hear, especially when driven to louder volumes.  I am rather conservative with volume at the library.

Conclusion:

In retrospect, perhaps one could describe the closed H6 with characteristics leaning towards open-back.  Does the sound compare to other open-back headphones?  Absolutely  the H6 sounds remarkably similar.  Do they directly "compete" in the sound department?  Not so sure about that.  The poor seal from outside activity alongside the slight leaking might take away its title for best portable headphones.  However, with open-back-esque audio fidelity and divine leather ear cushions, I hardly mind.
    daboscovellen likes this.

User Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!