Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002

General Information

Beogram 4002 replaced Beogram 4000, but beneath a minor restyle there were major changes. The changes were in the direction of simplification, B&O were clearly finding that producing such an over engineered product as the Beogram 4000 profitably, even at its high price, was not easy!

The Beogram 4002 was most easily identified by its new keys, made from thin brushed aluminum sheet cut with strips. Another change was that the fine speed controls were now tiny scales with a thumb wheel next to each, the centre position being marked for reference. The neon strobe display had gone though, a victim of the simplification. Even though a substantial amount of both Beogram 4000 and Beogram 4002 remained powered even when the machine was switched off, the designers felt that Beogram 4002 needed a “standby” indicator, in the form of a tiny red LED near the bottom of the plinth at the front. This was fitted in a clumsy plastic clip and looked like an afterthought on what was otherwise a superbly styled product.

Inside, all was new. The most important change was that by refinement of the mechanism the electronic logic unit beneath the keypad was dispensed with. Extra contact switches and individual transistors replaced it, though it looked like a backwards step. The excellent electronically regulated AC motor of the Beogram 4000 was replaced by a simple DC servo of a similar type to the one which later appeared in the Beogram 1902 range. Since the parts now came from Japan, as opposed to Switzerland, the cost savings must have been large! Finally, the platter and bearing were completely redesigned into a smaller and lighter assembly, a change perhaps made necessary by the less powerful motor.

What was remarkable about the Beogram 4002 was that despite all the changes it still performed pretty much as well as its predecessor. Perhaps this demonstrated that the Beogram 4000 was indeed over engineered? It formed the basis for systems of the very highest quality, working with such models as the Beomaster 4400 and the Beocenter 4000. A long life meant that there were many detail changes along the way, though the excellent performance remained unchanged. There were however two special derivatives, the Beogram 4004 and the Beogram 6000, both intended for use with particular systems.

Beogram 4002 was replaced by Beogram 8000, which brought technology and complexity back into view. However, the real successor to the Beogram 4002 arrived a few years later, in the shape of the Beogram 6002. Despite looking much like the Beogram 8002, this model was technically very similar to the 4002.

Latest reviews

Pros: HEAVY, platter suspended, micro speed adjustments
Cons: Stylus hard to find/hard to upgrade
First things first, this table is FANTASTIC.  I don't know about million dollar tables, but I do know that my $200 Beogram 4002 is the best table I have ever seen.  Some of my favorite things about this table: The Platter and Tone arm section is suspended above the chassis floor, and shock mounted. I haven't tried it yet, but I fully believe you could hit the side of the case with a good sized hammer and it wouldn't effect playback. I rapped on the side with my fingers till they hurt, and I couldn't get ANY vibration through playback. After doing much research on the cartridge, which is a proprietary B&O design (Moving Magnetic Cross), the MM (Moving Magnet) selection on most pre-amps seems to be the best choice. The table sounds fantastic, as good as anything I've heard. I don't have any complaints about this table, but some may find the ability to change cartridges difficult if not impossible. There is a company that makes replacement carts at a cost of... $600US or so. This turntable was originally about $600 and now can be had from $200 - $400 depending on condition.
edstrelow
edstrelow
I am not surprised that you like this table. I had the original 4000 and it was a fine piece of equipment. I also modded the arm to take regular cartridges with some success and used a series of moving coil cartridges in it. After a few decades use it finally died and I replaced it with a similar TX2 and an MMC2 cartridge. I found I liked the sound as much as the moving coil cartridge although the basic turntable lacked the mechaical isolation of the earlier and much heavier 4000. However using decent feet seemed to put it on a par with the earlier model.

Comments

There are no comments to display.