Aukey EP-T25 Wireless Earbuds

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

https://www.aukey.life/products/ep-t25-tws-bluetooth-5-0-ipx5-true-wireless-earbuds < Vendor Link

Aukey EP-T25 TWS Bluetooth 5.0 IPX5 True Wireless Earbuds

Highlights

Powerful bass performance: Upgraded 4mm dynamic drivers deliver high fidelity sound, clearer than CD quality with richer bass.

Easier Connection: Open the charging box cover and the earphones will automatically connect to your paired Bluetooth devices. Bluetooth 5.0 technology creates a stable connection between your device and wireless headphones for skip-free sound, even in crowded spaces.

Long Battery Life: Headphones play Hi-Fi stereo sound for up to 5 hours on a single charge. There's an extra 20 hours of use in the compact charging case that charges quickly over USB-C

Suitable for all conditions: IPX5 water resistance to resist perspiration during intense workouts and all weather conditions.

Details

Clear calls
Improved call clarity in busy or windy areas.
Use only one earphone (Single Earbud Mode)
The two headphones can be used alone as a Bluetooth hands-free kit.
Support for voice assistant
Triple-tap one of the earbuds to access your phone's assistant.
Touch Control
A sensitive and tactile panel on each earbud allows easy music control and call management.
Portable case
The ultra-compact charging case protects your headphones and holds 4 additional charges.

Specifications

Driver (each channel): 1 x 6mm / 0.24” speaker driver
AAC, SBC
IPX5
MEMS Microphone -38dB ±1dB (at 1kHz) 100Hz – 10kHz
Sensitivity: 90 ±3dB SPL (at 1kHz/1mW)
Technology: BT 5, A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, HSP
Impedance: 16 ohm ±15%
Battery Type: Li-polymer (2 x 40mAh)
Operating Range:10m / 33ft
Weight: 7g (pair)

What's In The Box

1 x Aukey EP-T25 TWS Earbuds
1 x Charging Case
3 pairs of earTips (S/M/L)
1 x USB-A to USB-C charging cable
1 x User manual

Latest reviews

Not quite there again from Aukey
Pros: Price, SQ considering the price, Ergonomics
Cons: Call Quality, Defaulting to SBC, Remaining connected in the case!
I paid for these headphones, as with every set I review, and receive nothing in return from the manufacturer.

How I review:

Sound Quality

What I measure here is the subjective and objective. I listen to a few key tracks, some FLAC, some bad quality mp3's, streaming services, audio books and tracks I know have been so badly produced they will probably clip the top or the bottom end. Usually I listen to one album in particular on FLAC, which I know very well, and also Bolero, which again I also know inside out.

I then test a few key variables such as FR and Spectral Flatness using an acoustic mic setup. Some others too, but I won't go into detail unless it's necessary.

I do this just for confirmation of what I'm hearing. I'm not Scarbir, I'm not The Sound Guys. I have a demanding day job, study, and have three kids, so no long essays in these reviews.

Microphone Quality

I conduct a few different tests, as follows:

Indoor, static, silence
Indoor, static, ambient noise 40-60 dB-A
Indoor, static, high frequency ambient noise
Indoor, static, low frequency ambient noise

All of the above but moving
All of the above moving away from the receiver

Outdoor, static, ambient noise 40-80db
Outdoor, moving, ambient noise 40-80db
Outdoor, under a nearby railway bridge where lorries pass through

All are recorded for 1-3 minutes for future comparisons. I look for voice clarity, voice clarity among noise and glitches.

Tips

Stock tips
Spinfit Silicones
INAIRS foam tips
ikko i-planet foam tips

ANC

As per the sound quality tests, I usually test the ANC at the same time, looking for low and high frequency performance as well as my pet peeve, vertigo and jawache (Not applicable here)

I use earbuds in four activities - calls, exercise, commute and relaxing. All three are taken into consideration to try to find the use case, as finding the perfect earbud is, lets face it, never going to happen.

Connectivity

I find most perform almost identically, but do the usual walk test, especially around congested 2,4ghz wifi areas. I leave a router on 40MHz just in case it messes with it, why the hell not?!

Ok, so onto the review:

Model: Aukey EP-T25

Price: £17.84 (Ususally £25.49)

Vendor: Amazon UK

Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B087WKLBGJ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Manufacturer Blurb:
  • Powerful Bass Performance: The enhanced 6mm dynamic drivers deliver high-fidelity sound, clearer than CD-quality with richer bass
  • Easier to Connect: Open the lid of the charging case and the earbuds will automatically connect to your paired Bluetooth devices. Bluetooth 5 creates a stable connection between your device and the true wireless earbuds for skip-free audio even in busy spaces(Put the earbuds back in the charging case and close the lid, then earbuds will turn off and begin charging)
  • 25-Hour Playtime: The earbuds stream Hi-Fi stereo sound for up to 5 hours on a single charge. There’s an extra 20 hours in the compact charging case which is quickly recharged with USB-C
  • Fit for all Conditions: IPX5 water resistance to withstand sweat in strenuous workouts and all weather conditions
  • Package Contents: AUKEY EP-T25 True Wireless Earbuds, Charging Case, Three Pairs of Ear-Tips (S/M/L), USB-C Cable, User Manual, Quick Start Guide, 45-Day Money-Back Guarantee and 24-Month Product Replacement Warranty
Real Life Experience

The Unboxing - 7/10

IMG_1240.JPEG

IMG_1241.JPEG

IMG_1246i.jpeg

Similar to their other models, this wasn't quite as impressive as the EP-N5. Aukey's advertising and marketing is generally understated and the box feels like an environmentally friendly brand. Whether it is or not is not for debate here - it's the angle they've gone with, and who am I to judge...all I care about is whether these sound good or not!

As per my previous Aukey reviews, the symbolic matrix style card is included again. I'm still none the wiser, but I like it.

Inside the box, the USB charging cable and tips are located in a section below the case. It features 3 sets of tips, which are different from most by deploying a red inside colour scheme.

There is a manual and a quick start guide but in all honesty you won't need it, these are very straightforward to set up.

The buds have blue stickers on the battery points - more on this later - but make sure you remove and charge before use.

The Case - 7/10

IMG_1242.JPEG

IMG_1249.JPEG

IMG_1250.JPEG

IMG_1243.JPEG

IMG_1244i.jpeg

IMG_1245i.jpeg

The case is nothing to write home about really, but it is nice and compact and well finished inside and out. It gives an extra 4 charges, taking the total charge up to 25 hours - below most earbuds, but acceptable.

The Ergonomics - 9/10

IMG_1300.jpeg

IMG_1302.jpeg

IMG_1298.jpeg

One thing Aukey never fail to get right is the fit. Once again these are ergonomically excellent. The stem lines along the jaw beautifully and like the branding, is understated. Once again, wearing Aukey earbuds is no hassle at all. The bulbous design is not uncomfortable, but provides decent passive noise isolation, although the finish on the mic holes is bad close up.

IMG_1299.jpeg

Despite being stem shaped, they are about the size of the Tronsmart Onyx Free - much shorter than the pictured Boltune BT-BH024, but have a nice, flat touch area to ensure good controls.

IMG_1251.JPEG

Below, pictured with the Tronsmart Apollo Bold and Edifier NB2.

IMG_1303.jpeg

Sound Quality - 7/10 (for the price paid), 6/10 (raw score)

It is always a difficult balance reviewing raw sound quality against intermediate sound quality (i.e. sound quality against price).

Subjective tests were OK. I wasn't expecting much after the EP-N5. Actually, they aren't too bad, if a little unrefined. The mids are chaotic at times but for those that like house music these do OK.

With no aptx support these are meant to default to AAC on Windows 10 and iPhone. They don't. They default to SBC on Windows. Why I have no idea.

Annotation 2020-08-30 184109.jpg

Objective tests showed a drop of at 17KHz. These are the total opposite to the EP-N5 which are flat and unresponsive - these have some strange peaks - the spectral flatness is, well, lets just say all over the shop, but these are £18 earbuds - if you want refined sound, you ain't gonna get it at this price.

Call Quality - Indoors - 4/10, Outdoors - 2/10

Initially, these were the worst sounding earbuds I have ever tested. I thought the Nillkin TW004 were bad, these were so bad I actually thought they may be faulty. The volume waned in and out throughout various recordings and calls with my voice impossible to decode.

This seems strange as the mic arrays are well-placed, but these MEMS mic systems seem to be a disaster in every set I've tested.

After multiple resets, they ended up settling down, but they don't isolate anything - all background noise is picked up. And I've adjusted the score because there are some far worse as I've since discovered!

Connectivity, Controls and Other Features - 5.5/10

As well as getting the booby prize for calls, these also struggle with connectivity. Not much worse than the rest, but they cut off at around 7-8m, or at least start to struggle.

Controls are, well, better than some. Nice flat, finger sized area to touch that is responsive and intuitive. Double tapping answers calls (you don't wanna do that), triple tapping activates SIRI. You can play and pause, and skip tracks, but no volume.

But here's the killer. The earbuds remain connected to your device even when you put them back in the case. You have to manually find them and disconnect them. What?! the blue stickers that cover the battery connections - now I understand why!

Battery Life - 7/10

Battery Life is pretty good and 1 hour charge is great.

Final Comments

It's another average set of earbuds from Aukey. For £18 you can do a LOT worse than these. The problem areas: the microphones, the strange charging issue, the defaulting to SBC and the poor connectivity are, even at this price point, not really acceptable.

Unfortunately, I have to give Aukey another poor rating, which I hate doing because their earbuds always look so nice, but practicality has to take precedence - these just don't pass the test.

Price Weighted Score: 65%

Raw Score: 50%
Last edited:
D
domwah
Thank you for this review. The blue stickers on the contact point, should they stay or go? I had difficulty pairing the ear buds initially, but I wonder if thats more my lack of knowledge rather than the buds themselves as they did eventually show up. I tested the microphone (indoors no background noise) and it seemed clear enough for me, will test outside later on but just mention as you suggested whether yours were faulty. The 2 points I would consider negatives for me so far (its only been a day, but these are also only simple earbuds) are when they connect the volume on my device always goes straight to maximum which requires me to turn down each time, or jump if I'm wearing them at the same time; also an odd and possibly unique to me issue is that they hurt and sting a little inside my ear when I smile!
regancipher
regancipher
Yeah I've read a few complaining about the fit. Aukey just fit really nicely for me every time. No smiling issues!

I have reset them multiple times and they sorted themselves out, the mic became synchronised and it didn't sound terrible (but certainly not good) as soon as any kind of background noise was introduced.

They are very good for the money - you can do a lot worse in the sub £20 category.

Comments

There are no comments to display.