Audio-Technica ATH-M50S

1. jc222284
    "ATH-M50 Review (Video)"

2. Danchou
    "Excellent closed cans"
    Pros - Sound- and build quality, value, looks, soundstage and imaging (for a closed can)
    Cons - pleather gets sweaty, some beats/ drums are overpresent
    Overall:
    The ATH-M50 is a well built, beatiful HP. It has swivel earcups and comfortable high quality pleather pads. It comes in big white box with a leather bag and a 6,3 mm jack.
    (ATH-M50 and ATH-M50S are the same HP. M50s has straight(S) cable, M50 has coiled.

The ATH-M50 sound great out of the box, but started to shine after ~50 hours of burn in.
    They sound detailed, refined and balanced, with a strong but controlled bass.
    The biggest quality of the M50s is, that they don't really do anything wrong. They performed pretty good with evrything I threw at them, and their sonic performance is outstanding in this price class.
    I think it is hard to dislike them at all, but experienced audiophiles may find them to sound "clinical" or "booring", because they don't really shine at anything.
    Newcomer audiophiles on the other hand will be blown away for sure.

The ATH-M50 made me realise, that a good HP is not all about sound quality.
    A HP this expensive really has to fill all it's owners needs.
    For me the isolation just didn't do it, and the pleather pads got my ears sweaty all the time.
    But that's cause I used them as a portable HP mainly, which they were not designed to be.
    Now with a high end portable HP (hd 25-1) I am as happy as i can be.

Conclusion:
    The Audio Technica ATH-M50 is a excellent Headphone with outstanding sound quality in it's price class, but I would not recommend it as a portable HP.
    Newcomers to audiophile equipment can't go wrong with this.
  3. koolkat
    2.5/5,
    "Review based on a short audition."
    Pros - Folds up, better build quality.
    Cons - Uncomfortable, boring sound.
    First and foremost, I didn't buy these. Put in bogus purchase dates or it won't let me submit.

It was a really short audition, roughly 15 minutes.
    And this will be an equally short review.

In fifteen minutes I found out six good/bad things about the M50

1) Boring sound signature.
    2) Very clampy head band.
    3) Uncomfortable ear pads.
    4) They are not as revealing as some say they are.
    5) Loved the coiled cable. Very thick and solid.
    6) collapsible, iirc.

I suppose point 2 and 3 aren't deal breakers since headphones
    do get more comfortable over time.

The M50 wasn't worth S$240. It surely didn't sound like $240
    to me. I auditioned the M50 and the Grado SR80, and I preferred
    SR80's sound signature.

The M50s are not overly revealing headphones. I suppose this could
    be largely due to my mediocre DAP (fat PSP). They just sounded flat.
    Didn't stand out in any department.

I suppose this is how Studio Monitor headphones should sound like...
    I haven't tried the Sony MDR V6 or 7506 which are recommended quite
    often to those looking to produce/mix music.

Btw, I was auditioning this at the time when everyone was recommending M50
    to newcomers - June/July of 2011? I was like "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat" when
    I put them on. They're decent headphones but they certainly are not worth US150
    or SGD240.

I'm not a fan of the design either.

4. Vonx
    "A great starter headphone, with querks"
    Pros - Inexpendable value, dynamic, great feel and look, decent sound
    Cons - Shrill highs at high volume, can distort, mids recessed, muddy and slow, weak sound stage
    Before i get on to the sound, I will give you a summerized box reaction. Looking at these through the plastic box, they have an almost ikea asthetic about them, sort of a minimal hipster look. They have a funky way of sitting in the box and i couldnt help but hope they didnt sound as minimal as the looked through the box. However, as soon as i pulled them out and felt them in my hand and got a better look, i almost soiled myself. The headband and pleather pads are just about some of the comfiest things ive ever put my hands on. They just looked like they were MEANT to be worn and loved.

After seeing them in a 360 degree view, they just looked beautiful. Pictures do not do justice to the beauty of these headphones, but with a poor quality camera and some poor camera work, i tried :)

meh2.png

I couldnt help but sneak them on my head after fondling the pads with my hands. They felt DECADENT!

So, naturally, i have far too much curiosity at this point to not give them a listen before burn in, so i plugged them straight into my ipods headphone jack and hit shuffle.

3 words: Muddy, distant, recessed mids :frowning2: I thought i might have been sent a dud or that they needed a lot more power than they might have assumed with their low impedence. So without further adue, i will move in to a thorough description of my first impressions.

First Impressions:

Low Volume: Bass seemed a little muddy, voices noticeably more recessed than the rest of the sound signature, and i NEVER though i would be a stickler about voices. It is so blatantly apparent that even my relatively untrained and non-analytical ear became frustrated by it. Sound seems very "in front of you", but not in terms of distance; i mean in terms of direction. Yep, that means very little sound stage, almost none. I have 50$ IEM's that have better sound staging than these, however that might be preferred for some people to have a more center focused and distant sound. The distance feels as though your at least 15 seats back from the front stage. You feel as though your in the same room as the music, just very far away from the speakers. Very little sound stage. You definately know your wearing headphones. Snare doesn't have correct timbre.

High volume: Snare and voices more natural sounding but definately "behind" the lead guitars and bass guitars when listening to rock. I would never consider myself a guy that would notice recessed vocals but it was just so obvious that it made it uncomfortable and certainly not balanced listening. I know for a fact that the vocals were not that recessed in the recording. It wasn't horribly bad, it just sounded like the vocals were playing at a different volume level than the bass guitars and lead guitars and percussion. Guitars in high notes sound shrill and extremely bright with some distortion.

Fit: comfortable, sturdy, very nice fit for my head at the stock settings. However, after about 10 minutes of listening i already could feel my ears sweating to the point where the pleather was actually sticking to my ears! Clamping force was noticeable but i liked it, sort of like they were giving you a nice big bear hug. I could see how it might bother some people, but i like it. Rest assured it could be easily fixed by stretching them out over a box while burning them in.

Overall verdict of first impressions: i just wasted $150 bucks, hugely overhyped

After 100 hours of burn in: Much better sounding! All the previous querks still noticeable but are far more tolerable, bass is very nice and strong hitting on any low frequency range thrown at it, but definately not overpowered. Maybe slightly emphasiszed, but not overpowering. Bass in these will only sound overpowering if you bought them after listening to a bass-less headphone like the akg 701's. Highs are still shrill and bright and painful to listen to, however the distortion issue is gone. Mids are still indeed very, very recessed.

These headphones, even in their best genre which i would argue to be electronic, feel way to far from the source of music for my liking. I stated earlier that they feel about 15 rows back from the stage; thats being generous. I feel like i'm sitting in an auditorium designed to house very loud volumes and heavy rock bands, but hearing a highschool band play on a fer marshal amps sitting right next to them up front on the stage, very far away. However, the sound that is coming from very far away and very centered, is a very balanced and high quality sound.

In order to get the engagement I want from these headphones, I am constantly motivated to turn them up to extremely high volumes, because that brings me much closer to the stage and the instruments start to tune up and come alive at high volumes. However, even at the highest volumes, the mids are still noticeable recessed even to an undiscerning ear. Also, the trade off is that in order to get the volume and engagement and louder vocals, the highs become unbearable (atleast to me) at high volumes on some types of music, especially rock with high pitched guitars. A guitar solo is too painful to hear and its sad because guitar solos are some of my favorite parts of music to hear.

Verdict: They have a great balanced sound with emphasis on the low end, very little sound stage, seems "far away", slow and hard to keep up on complex music with lots going on (sort of like if you had a balanced steak dinner with a side of green beans and mash potatoes, and someone took them and mushed them in a blender and poured the result into a soup bowl and handed it to you), with bright and sometimes painful highs. Certainly a capable headphone with its own personaility that may fit some types of listeners, and is a high quality headphone worth its price. If you like to feel close and engaged with your music, dont buy. It just isnt worth the ear damage you will inevitably get trying to compensate by turning up the volume extremely loud.

It is worth the plunge for anyone to try who hasnt really decided what type of music listener they are. This is for a relaxed listener who wants to keep its distance from the music, with warm bass and harsh and engaging highs, with recessed mids. At this price, these are a steal and if you decide you dont like them, they are a great reference phone to compare other headphones in the future should you choose to upgrade. They are balanced but distanced.

LET THEM BURN IN BEFORE YOU JUDGE!

Peace, love, happiness, and a good pair of headphones to all !

Syros likes this.
  5. mattphones
    "Exceptional Value"
    Pros - Price, Sound, Comfort, Quality. Loud.
    Cons - can fatigue some when worn longer than 5 hours.
    Nothing to add off of other reviews. Simply the best headphone purchase dollar for feature that Ive ever made.
    Syros likes this.
  6. BLACKENEDPLAGUE
    "n00b metalhead's first venture in audiophilism"
    Pros - Sound good overall, looks good
    Cons - Tight fit, uber long cord, has a muddy tone, the closed design and leather pads induce sweating
    Okay I'm not going to fill this area with a bunch of BS terms I'm just going to say it straight up.

I bought the headphones from a really nice used shop locally, and I was told they were pretty decent. Upon first applying them to the not forehead (because that would be retarded behavior), I noticed the isolation was quite impressive. The guy that worked there was talking but I couldn't hear a damned thing he was saying. The song I tested it with was King Crimson's "Epitaph." The power they gave off was very nice and despite what the assistant said, the bass was of a great level, not too high and not too low. When I got home I listened to American IV by Johnny cash and let me tell you, PURE MAGIC.

A couple gripes I had: The fit was pretty tight so I wasn't able to wear them longer than 7-10 minutes at a time, the cord is long as hell so I was sitting in my computer chair holding 75% of it, and the condition they were in was less than stellar. The ear pads were beat to hell, given this means nothing if you buy them new or used from a decent person, but there was no way I would keep the cans and pay $20 for replacement pads. I mean heck at that point I might as well buy them new!

I'll will be getting another pair down the line but as of no I can't afford it.

These headphones are highly recommended by the community and there is a reason why; If you get these things in new/good condition THEY ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY, and if you get them for a steal of a deal then that just makes them better!

EDIT - Now that I have a new pair this can be updated. The music sounds muddy, especially in the mids and highs. I don't know if this goes away after burn-in or not but it isn't that big of a deal.
  7. azoapes
    "Great headphones with great sound and minor cons"
    Pros - Great sound, good enough for mixing. Very isolated. The weight and design gives a quality impression.
    Cons - The treble is a bit sharp, even after the 40 h warmup. Long sessions will create spot pressure on the top of your head.
    My title, pros and cons sums it up rather well. Do NOT forget to warm these babies up for at least 30 h. They will change a lot in character, the first experience might be horrible, whilst after 40 h you love them.

It should be added that the treble sensitivity of your ears will affect your liking of these. Very demanding ears have listened to these and come to totally different conclusions. So listen to these at your local store before buying, your ears might not like the intense treble.
    H T T and m1ku like this.
  8. 1eye1derweasil
    "Good, very good in fact"
    Pros - Sound and build quality
    Cons - Mids are recessed
    For the right price these are worth it. At 80-100$ they're a good buy. At MSRP of 150$ I would pass.

Excellent bass extension; play well out of mp3 players as well as amps; very detailed and "fun" sounding. Lacking in the midrange for vocals personally. Great for bassheads, neutral fans look elsewhere.

A good cheap substitute for these would be the Panasonic HTF600, performing at close to 90% the same sound quality @ 30$
  9. reivaj
    "This my style"
    Pros - Attracts women, completely encompasses my dome , authentic leather smell , can act like tiny speakers for my tv when laying on the couch
    Cons - not in white, does not come with sunglasses
    I like
  10. crinacle
    "One beginner headphone I don't want to let go."
    Pros - Excellent bass reproduction for tracking, smoothness in sound, versatility, comfort, portability
    Cons - Bass reverb may be a little too much to those who work with neutral cans, mids are slightly recessed, soundstaging could be bigger