Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org
tdockweiler
tdockweiler
Thanks for not being dumb and giving them a 1/5 for audio quality.
What version did you have? Sounds like you had the older version and not the newer white boxed version.
I think I gave the older version and 8/10 overall score. Newer one would be very slightly higher. It had slightly better mids and a little less bass. Definitely more treble. The soundstage on mine wasn't large, but fairly accurate. I also do prefer the DJ100, SRH-840 and KRK KNS-8400, but I don't do any studio work. They're good alternatives for those that don't want/need emphasized bass. 840 does have a mid-bass hump though.
Shogunner
Shogunner
I actually had the white box version, never heard the blue box ones.
Standarddeviate
Standarddeviate
"don't fall victim to the hype."
Too late. I picked them up new for $138.00. They're my first pair of headphones over $30.00 and ignorance is bliss, having nothing to compare them to that is. Reading your review was refreshing. Comfort aside I agree with everything you've said, though I'm still in the controversial burn in period.
tdockweiler, I wear these while I work. I've heard great things about the SRH-840 and 940, but I'm concerned about portiblility as well as how easily driven they are. I'm using an iPod Nano. I do like bass, and wish they were just a bit stronger in lower end of the bass spectrum (Mary J. Blige "A Dream"), though I do listen to all types of music including barbershop acappela, and value clarity in the mids and highs. Shogunner was dead on when he used the word stringent to define the highs. I'm wondering if they might sound better with a little amplification...