Ambient Dynamics AD-006 "Lyndale" IEMs

RemedyMusic

New Head-Fier
Ambient Dynamics Lyndale – smooth as warm latte
Pros: • Superb fit and seal. Almost like a custom IEM
• Simple but nice inclusions and packaging
• Sweet and smooth warm sound signature
• Very very easy to drive. No extra amplification needed
• Non-fatiguing to listen for long sessions
• Natural organic sound
• Intimate vocal presentation
• Overall offers a relaxed tonality
Cons: • Not the quickest driver performers in town
• Details are somewhat compromised due to roll off on top
• Air on top is a bit lacking (subjective)
• Punchiness of lows can be lacking (subjective)
• Technicalities has room for improvement
• Steep price tag compare to its competitors (subjective)
INTRODUCTION:

Ambient Dynamics motto is “Music is for everyone”, they are a company that aims to make high quality music affordable to all audiophiles or newcomers alike. They aim to make products that create value and punch well above their price point to help grow the industry and hobby that we all love.

This is the first time that I have heard of Ambient Dynamics and they are a company based in Minnesota.

DISCLAIMER:

I would like to thank again, Adrian Yambao for pointing me to Ambient Dynamics, thus having the opportunity to test their first product the Lyndale. Special thanks to Austin Chang for supervising all our transactions, delivery details and all procedure for their product to reach me all the way from Minnesota. They are a very approachable team and it was a nice experience dealing with them.

My opinions here are completely my own. I am NOT in any way influenced of any form of incentive. This is purely my honest, subjective impressions and experience with the gear on hand. I cannot stress more that you should take this as a grain of salt for we have different perception to sound and what we hear. I always try my best to stick with the stock accessories that comes with the gear by default. You are free to try other methods such as tip rolling or cable rolling. Below are worth noting before concluding on what I say here:

• DAP (digital audio player, be it phone, laptop, mobile, or stationary setup)
  • DAC or dongle or any external amp
  • Tips
  • Cables
  • Source of audio file be it offline FLACS or streaming service like Deezer, Apple music, Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify and the likes..

My reviews are more on how music sound on our ears. The technical stuff like frequency graphs and the physics behind the tech and drivers used, I leave to other reviewers.

EDZ07994.JPG

SPECIFICATIONS:

Configuration: 1x dynamic drive (10mm PU+TI composite diaphragm) 1x balanced armature (E-audio 29689-000)
Impedance: 12 ohms
Sensitivity: 109db
Freq response: 20hz-20khz

PACKAGING:

Packaging here is somewhat a new experience. It has a very nice presentation. When it arrived, I was quite excited. i appreciate the gesture of giving a good unboxing experience. Below are the package inclusions:

EDZ07977.JPG

• Box is charcoal black. Simple but well printed.
EDZ07979.JPG

• A user guide in a black envelope.
EDZ07981.JPG

• A rather large carrying pouch that can house 3 iems.
EDZ07986.JPG

• Ear tips with a casing. 3 pairs of silicone tips, 3 pairs of foam tips.
  • A cleaning tool.
EDZ07983.JPG

• The driver itself Lyndale
EDZ07988.JPG

• A cable – 8 core oxygen-free copper litz wire

EDZ07993.JPG

PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES:

The shell is very simple and elegant. Nothing fancy here. You know the saying “simplicity is best” is at work here. The shell has very nice ergonomics and curves. It doesn’t have a metal nozzle and I was actually reminded of some IEMs I have reviewed, which are from Hi-senior the T2 classic and FE3U. They feel very light to wear and offers very good seal and fit. More of this as we move along. It is a medical grade resin, 3d printed and the resin blend is proprietary.

Moving on to how it sounds..

LOWS:

The lows here have an adequate elevation but never did it felt too much or bloated to me. If the tracks call for sub bass, Lyndale gives a good rumble. The mid bass is well presented too. Over all, the lows have a relaxed nature. Personally, I like my lows, punchy and this is where the lows are lacking. But then, that is just me. Lows are presented in a smooth manner rather than aggressive. Texture is on the lighter side of things but timbre offers a very organic and natural reproduction.

EDZ07989.JPG

Conclusively, the lows here gave a commendable, smooth experience. Very nicely elevated, and very minimal bleeds to other frequencies. At least to my ears. No complains here aside from I wish it could have been punchier. Again, this is just me.

MIDS:

Mids here are somewhat recessed. Again, I have been saying on my reviews I am a mid-centric. I love my mids forward with a bit of aggression. This is because as a keyboard player, a lot of instruments relevant to my role, is in the mids. Yet, the mids here did not feel too pushed back to my liking. Texture and resolution on instruments, like pianos, Rhodes, guitars, organs are a bit laid back but still, did not bother me at all. I can still sense details but it could be better. Vocals, however, did give a certain intimacy and engagement. Which I think will benefit vocalists. Diana Krall sounded really smooth and sweet as well as male vocalists like Michael Jackson.

Conclusively, the mids here are a bit lacking on detail retrieval and texture, offering again a relaxed nature, yet a desirable warm presentation.

TREBLES:

Ok now the trebles…I think it is safe to say this is where the Lyndale needs more. The roll off here is quite noticeable and some of the micro details that I was used to hear, is pushed back or barely audible.

EDZ07991.JPG

The upside here though, is the Lyndale never ever felt fatiguing to listen. I am not a rock head, but with Lyndale, I can listen to my favorite rock tracks from Rage Against the Machine, Incubus, Nickelback, Red hot chili peppers and the likes. Though metal heads might miss their shouty guitars and cymbal strikes. Rock was somewhat intended to be loud and shouty, but for me, a treble sensitive, Lyndale gave just the right amount of trebles.

Brass sections from Earth, Wind and Fire, was still justified though. Their live album, Live in Velfare, was a brightly mixed album and with Lyndale, it was just right for long listening sessions.

Conclusively, the trebles could have been better with a bit more of air, sparkle and extension to my liking. But hey, I think the Lyndale was not intended to be a bright sounding set. Again, this is just my subjective preference.

FIT & ISOLATION

Now this is the best part. So far among my IEMs, the TINHIFI T3 plus is my favorite when it comes to comfortability. And now, the Lyndale took that throne. The fitting here is just superb. It is as almost, a custom IEM fit. It offers a snug fit, never fell off my ears even when I’m perspiring.

Sealing is very commendable too, giving a very nice isolation and blocks outside noise at least, 70%. This is quite constructive for musicians on stage, live streams and monitoring.

I have used Lyndale on my weekly live stream, and that is a 2 hour session, straight no breaks. Lyndale gave me a fatigue free experience. Lyndale is ultra light, and that adds to the comfortability of wear.

SOUNDSTAGE AND IMAGING:

Stage
here is decent or must I say, above average. I can sense a commendable head space especially on live tracks or albums. A very wide sound stage is really not my thing, for I prefer my details and instruments intimate rather than far off. Still I enjoy a sense of head space but not that much. I mean if you are looking for really wide sound stage, open back headphones and ear buds are the way to go.

Imaging is also above average. Panning of instruments and their positions are audible and I didn’t have problem locating them. This might not be as accurate as my BQEYZ Autumn, but still Lyndale delivered very good imaging and instrument placement.

Now instrument separation, is not Lyndale’s strong point. I did not sense much of good layering but rather instruments are presented as a whole. Which is not bad for casual listening and music enjoyment, but for critical studying of harmonies, chords and vocal tracking, this is where Lyndale falls short.

Conclusively, technicalities here are still pretty decent. Nothing to hate, but nothing spectacular. Maybe on Ambient Dynamics future releases, they can improve this.

SOURCES AND GEARS:

• LG V30 hifi dac (high impedance mode)
  • Hiby Music player
  • UAPP app (USB Audio Player Pro)
  • Tidal Masters subscription
  • And some offline FLACS

For this review, I have added a dedicated DAP for the main purpose of auditioning and reviewing IEMs. I have added HIDIZS AP80pro. I must say, I have enjoyed ZEX pro more when I paired it with the AP80pro compare to my LG V30 quad dac phone. So feel free to explore good synergies with DAPs.

The AP80pro was mainly used for this review.

Here are some tracks I usually listen to when reviewing:

That’s the way of the World by EWF
Every Summertime by NIKI
SADE tracks
AC/DC tracks
Queen tracks

And many more… I always listen to High resolution format, being the least quality 16bit/44khz FLACS be it offline or online.

EDZ07999.JPG

VERDICT:

I must say for a first release, the Lyndale is a good start for Ambient Dynamics. It is a warm sounding set, relaxed in character and offers average technicalities. Some might be thrown off with the treble roll off, yet on brightly mastered tracks, still that treble pushed through. I tried not to look for what is missing on Lyndale, or super impose my personal preference, but rather I embraced its tuning and character. It will suit anyone who wants to enjoy music, free of any fatigue, physical or hearing aspect. The lows are satisfying here, mids are lacking in texture but timbre is very organic and natural. Vocals are very engaging especially on tracks that the vocals are up close, man, it was quite the experience.

Now for the price tag… honestly, I think Ambient Dynamics are asking a bit too much here. I have reviewed the TRI Meteor, which I think comes close to Lyndale’s character, but it is 30-40$ less, with better technicalities and a punchier bass response. But not the same can be said for the trebles. I will choose a laid-back treble over a piercing one, which the Meteor possess. If the price tag could just be a bit less, the Lyndale will be a commendable player in the cut throat world of Chi-fi. I’m sorry to say this, and I know Ambient Dynamics is not trying to compete with chifi products, but truth be told, let us admit it, chifi really is a tough competition to the brands from the west.

I can see myself using this mainly on my live streams and even on stage performances. And for my long listening sessions of music enjoyment. But for critical listening and study of songs, particularly on chordal harmonies and such, I have other options for that. Vocalists on the other hand, might find Lyndale constructive. I will let my wife, who is a singer as well be the judge of that.

Well I hope, you enjoyed reading if you have reached this point. Again, this is my pure subjective take on Lyndale, all opinions here are completely my own. And your mileage, may and most likely vary. I would like to thank Ambient Dynamics again, for entertaining a small time reviewer like me, and I hope my honesty in this review, will help them on their future products.

Cheers! See you on the next one! God bless!
Reactions: Zerstorer_GOhren

adriansticoid

New Head-Fier
Ambient Dynamics AD-006 Lyndale Review: A New Player Has Entered the Game
Pros: Minimalist design
Great build quality
Smooth sound signature
Cons: Below average technicalities
Introduction:
Ambient Dynamics is a new company that is from Minnesota, United States. Their flagship, debut product is the Lyndale which was named after a place from the aforementioned state in the US. Each pair of the Lyndale is handmade and assembled manually in their headquarters. The Lyndale normally retails for 199 USD, but as of writing this review, Ambient Dynamics is offering an introductory price of 149 USD. The Lyndale was provided to me for free by Ambient Dynamics in exchange for this review.
IMG_20211209_083136-01.jpeg

International purchase link

Specifications:
Driver units: 10 mm dynamic, PU + TI composite diaphragm + E-Audio 29689-000 balanced armature
Impedance: 12 ohms
Sensitivity: 109 dB
Frequency response range: 20 Hz - 20 kHz

Source:
Poco X3 paired with FiiO KA3, iBasso DC03, Shanling UA1, Tempotec Sonata E35 and Zishan U1

Test tracks:
Hey Jude - The Beatles
The Way You Make Me Feel - Michael Jackson
...and a lot more.

Unboxing and Accessories:
The Lyndale comes in a large, elegant looking box with a matte plastic sleeve. Upon opening, there is a large envelope that contains the user manual. Underneath is a large, fabric carrying case that contains the earphones with the cable already attached. There is also a small translucent plastic case that contains the silicone and foam eartips in three sizes, and a cleaning tool.
IMG_20211209_082536-01.jpeg
IMG_20211209_082557-01.jpeg
IMG_20211209_082616-01.jpeg
IMG_20211209_082634-01.jpeg
IMG_20211209_082726-01.jpeg
IMG_20211209_082812-01.jpeg
IMG_20211209_082913-01.jpeg

Build:
The shells are made of medical grade 3D-printed resin with a minimalist, seamless design. The faceplates sport the Ambient Dynamics logo in gold. Printed at the top portion are the model name and the serial number. The shells doesn't have a vent which improves noise isolation. The nozzles are longer than average, has a lip to hold eartips in place and a metal filter to keep foreign objects out.
IMG_20211209_083436-01.jpeg
IMG_20211209_083508-01.jpeg
IMG_20211209_083643-01.jpeg

The cable is a braided 8-core oxygen-free copper litz. It is somewhat sticky but otherwise very soft and lightweight. The male 0.78 mm 2 pin connectors are made of metal that has red and blue rings to indicate the right and left side respectively. The chin slider is made of hard rubber, while the splitter and the straight 3.5 mm gold plated plug are made of metal.
IMG_20211209_083238-01.jpeg
IMG_20211209_083313-01.jpeg
IMG_20211209_083339-01.jpeg

Now let's get to the sound.

Lows:
The lows sound full, thick and have an enhanced impact. Subbass is resounding and reaches great depths, accompanied by a well extended decay. Midbass is well-rounded, slightly more forward, and with a substantial weight behind every punch.

Overall, the lows of the Lyndale adds plenty of the excitement factor in each track and may be enough to satisfy bassheads. That being said, the lows does not, in any way, hamper the mids and the highs.

Mids:
The mids are very dynamic. The elevated warmth in the lows carries on through the lower mids and the male vocals, making them slightly thick in a good way but ever so slightly recessed. Meanwhile, there is a small but noticeable boost in the upper mids that makes female vocals more forward to some degree and adds a bit more life to the instruments.

Overall, despite the elevation in the upper and lower section of the mids, it can be noticed that the articulation is slightly below average. The voices and instruments can sometimes feel partially hazy especially when the tracks get busier.

Highs:
The highs are presented in a relaxed manner. Treble reach is great but it doesn't receive much support from the lower treble causing instruments like cymbals to sound a bit grainy or hollow at times. The decay, on the other hand, is just on the average side.

Overall, the highs of the Lyndale has sufficient amount of sparkle, detail, and can reach great heights but need more definition especially in its lower section.

Soundstage and Imaging:
Apparently, this is the Lyndale's weakness. The stage does not expand that much, with both the width and depth having the same amount of space. There is a fair amount of clarity and definition in the imaging. Instruments have sufficient air and space in between them but can sometimes feel lacking. And although it's not so bad, hints of congestion can also be heard in complex tracks.

Comparisons:
Ambient Dynamics Lyndale (1 BA + 1 DD, 199 USD) vs. Audiosense DT300 (3 BA, 180 USD)
The lows of the DT300 has a cleaner, smoother texture. The subbass of the DT300 sound considerably deeper, but the Lyndale has more presence of rumble. The midbass is thicker in the DT300 while the Lyndale has the quicker decay. The mids have better clarity and sound more open and airy in the DT300. In terms of the highs, the DT300 has the better reach and slightly longer decay, and was also able to present more of the small details in the tracks. The stage is more spacious in the DT300 in both the height and the width. Imaging is also more accurate and instruments have better layering in the DT300.

Conclusion:
The Lyndale is the very first product from Ambient Dynamics, yet they did a pretty good job. From the unboxing experience, to the accessories, design, and the build quality, it is evident that Ambient Dynamics took their time, along with a careful thought, before launching these. However, the Lyndale got introduced in a very, very saturated and highly competitive price range, which makes it quite hard for the Lyndale to withstand the competition.

Comments

There are no comments to display.