AKG K7XX

1. Errorlord404
    Bang For Buck Beast
    Written by Errorlord404
    Published Dec 1, 2015
    Pros - Bass, Comfort, Clarity
    Cons - Build Quality
    I'm a sort of an amateur in the audiophile world, however, after owning these headphones and pairing them with a good-ish amp (Aune T1 MK2), my not so expert opinion says that these are a pretty killer pair of headphones for the price (~$200 on Massdrop). They sound great, having a strong bass, smooth mids, and a clear but not over pronounced high range. Their comfort is greater than all headphones that I've tried before (given, that is a pretty selected range including most Bose headphones, some Sony, and a few Sennheisers). Only possible complaint is that they're built out of plastic, and are therefore more prone to breakage. Compared to HD280s (~$100), these are quite a steal for only double the price of the Sennheisers. Sorry for the poor quality review, I simply don't know how to describe these in as much detail as others can, however, I hope this short and sweet response is easier to digest for the new-ish headphone enthusiast.
      iano and ChickenWaffles like this.
  2. Rhamnetin
    AKG K7xx Review and Comparison to DT 880 Pro
    Written by Rhamnetin
    Published Nov 7, 2015
    Pros - Mostly neutral, detailed but not brutally unforgiving, exceptional sound stage and imaging for the price, good extension, extremely comfortable
    Cons - Build quality, treble lacking in linearity and naturalness at times, some may find it too "dry" sounding
    y2Na.jpg
     ​

The AKG K7xx is one of the most popular headphones around right now.  In this review you'll see some explanations as to why that is, and how it stacks up to a revered classic in the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro.

Background and Test Setup
     ​
    I am a 21 year old audiophile who sticks to headphones primarily.  So my impressions may differ from many of yours due to my age.  I'm not nearly as treble sensitive as most audiophiles.  Throughout my childhood me and one of my brothers dabbled quite a bit in acoustic music reproduction (him more so), although these days I just listen.  I had owned the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro for several months leading up to this review, so the K7xx is the more recent addition.

When it comes to headphone performance, transparency is of utmost importance to me, but I also prefer a highly detailed and three dimensional sound, and neutral tonality although I am open to some slight deviation from true neutrality.  I want a (mostly) true to life sound, and I demand accurate representation of acoustic instruments of all kinds, and I also demand engaging vocals.  I am partial to electrostatic headphones.  For reference, the best headphone I've ever heard in my opinion is the Stax SR-009.

Both the K7xx and DT 880 Pro (250 Ohm) were tested with my upgraded Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 (swapped both opamps for LT1364s) which served as the DAC and amplifier.  This is a slightly smooth sounding device, especially with the opamp changes.  It is the older version of the D1, although from what I gather the newer one isn't much different and both are rated for 1W into 32 Ohm.  The D1 was connected to my computer via optical TOSLINK, and Foobar2000 with ASIO4ALL drivers was used for media playback.  I did my best to volume match both headphones although it is worth noting that on this amp, the DT 880 Pro can sound somewhat distorted at lower volume levels.  I generally listen at much lower volume levels than others, so distortion due to driving them too loudly was not a problem.

A variety of music was tested; from sub 320 Kb/s MP3 to high bitrate uncompressed FLAC.  Genres tested include classical/orchestral, metal (prog and melodeath), rock (mostly acoustic), and a small amount of electronica mostly for testing purposes (electronica is not something I typically listen to).  Both headphones were burned in for this test.

So, let's get right into it.

Build Quality
    OjWcD.jpg IMG_4956_flash.jpg
     ​
    The build quality between both headphones is several leagues apart.  The K7xx is pretty much all plastic, the exceptions being the obvious (pads and suspension headband strap).  Even the grills are plastic, which I didn't think was a thing anymore.  Pictures are deceiving, it's not as sturdy as it looks.

It is lighter than the DT 880 and significantly wider.  The ear cups are huge in comparison, and as a result the pads are larger in diameter.  The pads are memory foam, the suspension headband strap is leather which is a rarity among $200 headphones (or even sub $1000 headphones).  It features a straight, detachable cable unlike the DT 880 Pro, although the cable retains a small amount of bending.  The cable terminates with a gold plated 3.5mm jack, with a 6.35mm adapter screwed on.  The cable's plug-in design is sturdy and easy to use, just keep in mind it's very stiff to push in, but once it's in it's not going anywhere.

The Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro on the other hand is almost all metal, except for the black part on the ear cups which is solid plastic (seemingly thicker and sturdier plastic).  It is semi-open opposed to the fully open K7xx.  The pads are very soft velour, softer than the K7xx's memory foam pads but also smaller in circumference and diameter.  The headband is thickly wrapped in pleather.  The DT 880 makes the K7xx feel like a toy.  However, the DT 880's cable is fixed and coiled, although also thicker than that of the K7xx.  Like the K7xx, the cable terminates with a 3.5mm jack and 6.35mm adapter.

Both headphones lack portability.  They don't fold much at all.  The DT 880's ear cups swivel a bit more.  It's worth noting that every K7xx is serialized (on the inner left side), although the DT 880 has its serial number on the box.  In conclusion, the K7xx is pretty flimsy compared to the tank-like DT 880, which is better built than numerous $1000+ headphones.

Winner: Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro by a landslide.

6eHIA.jpg IMG_4965_flash.jpg

​
    Both headphones have a reputation of being comfortable.  The K7xx's pads are larger and deeper, although still not as deep as I like.  The DT 880's pads are slightly softer, but the K7xx's pads are so soft so that it's not a problem.  Furthermore, the K7xx has less clamp and less weight, so it's lighter than the DT 880 Pro in every way.

The K7xx has an auto-adjust suspension headband.  The headstrap is leather and not bumpy like other AKG models.  It's installed on rails so to speak so that it slides up, increasing the size of the headphone, depending on how large your head is.  So the K7xx should fit pretty much any grown man well.  However, due to its very wide design, it is not a good fit for many women or younger teenagers.

The DT 880 Pro's headband has a more typical adjustment system; the user must pull the headband up on each side.  There are small notches on the frame, so that the adjustment sticks, although it's not a belt loop system which I feel is more reliable.  The DT 880 is a lot smaller on my head than the K7xx.  Those with larger heads will find the DT 880 to be too small and too tight, but on the other hand it can fit most women and younger teenagers well unlike the K7xx.  So we have a sharp contrast here.  Big (headed) guys ought to avoid the DT 880 for comfort problems alone.

For me, both headphones are comfortable but the K7xx takes the cake.  The DT 880's ear pads are too shallow and squish my ears slightly, while the K7xx has much larger pads that are a bit deeper, making it more comfortable.  Suspension headband is the way to go for comfort; the DT 880 is already light but the K7xx is a feather.  Less clamp means the K7xx won't be fatiguing for almost everyone.  The K7xx is more comfortable to me, and it would be more comfortable for most of you.

Winner: AKG K7xx.

Sound Quality
     ​
    Since sound quality is a vague term, I'll be breaking this category down into many subcategories, and try to declare a winner for each one.  I won't attempt to declare an overall winner, since there really isn't one here.  Both headphones have their own strengths and weaknesses.  If I was comparing the Beyer T1 to the DT 880 then that's a different story, since I feel the T1 is a clear cut overall winner, but for this comparison the K7xx and DT 880 are pretty close in overall performance, and it boils down to preferences and priorities.

gCA8M.jpg

Open vs Semi-open
     ​
    I thought I would comment on this.  The Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro is a semi-open headphone, not a fully open headphone like the K7xx.  Despite this, it provides next to no isolation.  It lets as much sound in as a fully open headphone.  However, it leaks noticeably less sound, which can be useful to some.
    Transparency
     ​
    Transparency is extremely important to me.  It mostly refers to clarity; a sound free of grain and interference so that nothing is between me and the music.  Both headphones are pretty much equal in this regard, and are no more transparent than my previous Audio Technica ATH-A900X.  So, with regard to high quality Mid-Fi headphones, the K7xx and DT 880 seem to be about equal to most others.  That is to say, neither are impressively transparent.  My old little electret Stax SR-30 is more transparent than both of them.  I certainly crave more transparency than what either headphone has to offer.

Winner: None, it's a tie.

Tonality
     ​
    This category isn't going to have a winner, I'll just describe the tonality of each.

1. AKG K7xx - Close to neutral, although slightly mid centric with a hint of added warmth.  The mids tend to overtake the treble slightly, but it's far from veiled or lacking in treble extension.  It sounds somewhat smooth, but not blurred and not as smooth as say the Sennheiser HD 600 or HD 650.
    2. Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro - Very neutral throughout, but much more "sharp" sounding than the smoother K7xx.  Treble is overall more forward compared to the K7xx.

The DT 880 is a great "palette cleanser" for its neutrality.  If your brain is used to a more colored sound, the DT 880 is good for erasing that and getting your brain used to a neutral sound.  Great for evaluating multiple headphones.

Detail
     ​
    The DT 880 is known for the detail it provides, but to my surprise the K7xx is the winner here.  Despite being smoother sounding, the K7xx is more detailed.  This is largely due to the faster decay which I'll talk about in a bit.  The DT 880 sounding sharper is almost like it wants to provide the illusion of being highly detailed, but in fact there are far more detailed headphones out there.  Between the two, they are pretty close but the K7xx obviously has the edge here.

Decay
     ​
    I may as well go into this now since I mentioned it already.  The K7xx's decay is faster and brings out more detail, and can make the background sound blacker.  However, it also leads to it sounding a bit more dry than the DT 880, which is most noticeable in rock and electronica.  It also causes me to reach for the DT 880 first for rock and electronica, and it's a big reason as to why I reach for the K7xx first for larger classical ensembles.  The faster but dryer decay of the K7xx ought to make it hard to choose one for faster, aggressive music since it's a compromise.

​
    Both have similar bass quantity although the K7xx has a bit more in vocals (most noticeable in male vocals obviously).  They have very similar quality too, with regards to body/fullness and tightness/control.  The DT 880 Pro's bass extends down to right about 20 Hz to my ears, while the K7xx is super close but a tiny bit less extended.  This was tested using the bass test listed in the link at the bottom of the page.  In addition, the DT 880 Pro has a little bit more bass impact/slam, but both have very little, and note I've never bass modded my K7xx.  Neither are basshead cans, they're meant to be more accurate.  The bass is pretty accurate on both, so ultimately the superior extension crowns the DT 880 here.

One thing of note is that the DT 880's bass can sound very harsh and shrill on some really bad recordings, like its treble.  Everyone knows its treble can sound this way depending on the recording, but the bass sounding this way took me by surprise.  The bass never gets like this on the K7xx.  This is more of a fault of the music recording than the headphone in my opinion.

Quantity: A tiny bit more impact/slam with the DT 880 Pro, a tiny bit more forwardness/presence in vocals with the K7xx, otherwise a tie.
    Quality: DT 880 Pro wins slightly in extension, otherwise it's a tie.

Mids
     ​
    Mid range performance is extremely important to me, as it is for most of us.  Again, both headphones perform similarly here overall.  The K7xx has a tiny bit more warmth; hardly noticeable unless you go back and forth between each headphone like I did.  Still, it's not enough warmth to classify the K7xx as a warm sounding headphone, at least not on my Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1.

The upper mid range sounds a bit more linear on the DT 880 to my ears.  I think this has to do with a peak at the very top of the mid range and bottom of the treble on the K7xx.  It can make the transition between upper mids and lower treble sound a bit less authentic and somewhat uneven compared to the DT 880.

But aside from this, the mid range performance is close, with the K7xx sounding a tad more dry and detailed because of its general characteristics.  Interestingly enough, on some tracks the K7xx puts acoustic instruments somewhat in front of vocals, but the DT 880 is always consistent with vocals being a tiny bit more forward than the instruments.  Also worth noting is that a few times, when a female vocalist is singing and a guitar is playing at the same time, the two overlap too much on the K7xx and it becomes very hard to focus on the guitar.

Ultimately, the more linear upper mid range of the DT 880 led to my decision here.  Although owning the two made me appreciate the hint of warmth provided by the K7xx.

Winner: Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro

​
    In my opinion, the vast majority of headphones have an imperfect treble presentation.  In fact, the only headphone I've heard with what I consider to be a flawless treble presentation is the Stax SR-009.  I think treble is just something electrostats tend to do better than non-electrostats, although the HiFiMan HE1000's treble sounded very well articulated, more than any other non-electrostat.  But I digress.

The K7xx does not want to overwhelm you with treble.  As such, it's usually slightly behind the mid range, but without being strongly recessed and without being rolled off.  Using the treble test linked to at the bottom of the page, I can hear the treble extend to around 19 KHz, which seems to be the limit of my hearing.

Likewise, the DT 880 Pro's treble extends to 19 KHz, further showing where my hearing limit is.  The DT 880's treble is overall more forward, and the DT 880's general sharper sounding characteristics are noticeable in the treble presentation.  As a result, the DT 880 is less forgiving with bad recordings.  The K7xx is not perfectly forgiving and can still sound slightly harsh and sibilant, but usually not as harsh as the DT 880 on some awful recordings.

Despite the overall more forward treble on the DT 880, it is the K7xx that reached the record high "peakiness" between the two.  I'm less treble sensitive than many other audiophiles (I can handle the DT 880's treble on anything), but the K7xx at its worst is actually piercing for my ears and too much.  I've only heard it sound like this once or twice and I don't remember which tracks specifically, but I think it was a poorly recorded classical track.

Both headphones sound about equally airy.  That is to say, neither are particularly airy.

The DT 880's treble sounds more linear to my ears.  The K7xx seems to have some peaks and/or dips that make it sound less natural at times.  The treble on both overall lacks the body and realism you'll hear on top tier electrostats.  Both have a flawed treble presentation, but the K7xx is more flawed for being less linear in my opinion.

Quantity: DT 880 Pro overall more forward, although the K7xx at its worst was more piercing than the DT 880 at its worst.
    Quality: DT 880 is more sharp, but overall cleaner and more linear, so the DT 880 wins here.
    Sibilance: Somewhat present on certain terrible recordings for both.

Sound Stage
     ​
    Both the K7xx and DT 880 are known for providing an open sounding, above average sound stage.  However, I was never impressed with the DT 880's sound stage.  It's not bad, but it's a far cry from its big brother, the T1.  I was always intrigued by the sound stage reputation of the AKG K7 series, and the K7xx does not disappoint.  It is noticeably wider, deeper, and taller than that of the DT 880.  I really like a big, three dimensional sound stage, and the K7xx actually satisfies me in this regard unlike the DT 880 Pro.  It is very evident when playing large ensembles.  The DT 880 has decent width and some sense of depth, but the K7xx handily bests it in both regards.

Too bad the vast majority of modern music is poorly recorded and doesn't demonstrate the sound stage performance of good headphones like the K7xx very well.  The superior sound stage of the K7xx is also very noticeable in gaming, so the K7xx has definitely taken over as my new gaming headphone for the better immersion and positional awareness it provides.

Imaging
     ​
    Truth be told, the DT 880's imaging never impressed me.  It isn't bad, it's just not great or mind blowing like its big brother, the T1.  Of course, the T1 is also significantly more expensive so that's expected.  The K7xx has superior imaging overall, taking advantage of its larger sound stage and mapping instruments and sounds all around it.  I don't consider the K7xx to be lacking a well defined center stage either.

But I do have to mention the overlapping of female vocals and guitars once again.  It doesn't happen always, but sometimes it can be hard to define guitar on the K7xx when a female vocalist is singing over it.  The DT 880 doesn't have this issue.  Still, it's clear to me which one wins overall with regard to imaging.

Winner: AKG K7xx

Conclusion
     ​
    Z9EjL.jpg

I was hoping one of these headphones would be clearly superior to the other in most areas, so that I could sell one and downsize, but this did not happen.  I'll have to keep both until I buy the Stax SR-L700, and even then I might keep the K7xx for gaming due to its phenomenal sound stage.

Both headphones are equally lacking in transparency, while the DT 880 Pro is the more neutral of the two and the K7xx is more detailed and three dimensional.  The DT 880 is less forgiving, but has a cleaner treble presentation despite sounding sharper.  The K7xx sounds more smooth, but needs parametric EQ more than the DT 880 (I have not done this yet) due to some peaks and dips in the treble region and perhaps upper mid range.  The DT 880 Pro strikes me as slightly more well rounded, due to its more linear tuning.

Both headphones are very comfortable, although the K7xx takes the lead here and it would prove more comfortable to most of other audiophiles I believe.  But the DT 880 stomps the K7xx with regard to build quality.

Curiously enough, owning both of these headphones has made me less satisfied with both of them.  I really want to get that Stax setup now...

Instrument Specific Notes

I thought I'd list specific kinds of instruments with which one headphone is noticeably better than the other.  Any instrument type not listed just means the two headphones perform too closely for me to declare one better than the other.

1. Piano - AKG K7xx is more realistic here, offering slightly better detail and texture and body.
    2. Horns - The DT 880 Pro is shockingly more realistic here.  Maybe it's my amp but horns are just not convincing on the K7xx.
    3. Drums - Both headphones are close, but the superior bass extension of the DT 880 Pro makes it better at portraying drums.  Then there's the fact that the DT 880 has a tiny bit more bass slam/impact, although this isn't really significant.
    4. Electronic Instruments - DT 880 wins, the dryness of the K7xx is not ideal here.

Genre Recommendations

1. AKG K7xx - Classical/orchestral, should also be great for pop, although it's not particularly bad for any genre either.
    2. Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro - Anything and everything.

The following website provided me with bass and treble extension tests:

Radec, trellus, iano and 4 others like this.
    2. TiborM
      Hello.
      So for all the lovers of K7XX headphones, upgrading the stock cable is a must!
      I just got mine from Forza Audioworks (copper series) couple of days ago. Differences are immediately noticable.
      First and most important is that some kind of noise is gone, everything is more clear, better pronounced. Sounstage is bigger too, instruments have more space for them. Bass is stronger and more colorful, voices are clearer and highs are shinier.
      It has added a bit more warmth overall, so it´s not so dry sounding anymore.
      I am talking about small things here, but important. Maybe or probably an even more costly cable will bring more to the table.
      I am still using EQ but only +1db for bass now.

I´m loving these headphones more and more.

Happy Holiday.
      TiborM, Dec 25, 2015
    3. Rhamnetin

If I were keeping the K7xx as my primary headphone I'd definitely swap the cable.  After playing around with the Gustard U12 with the Audioquest Cinnamon Coaxial cable, I see the truth in your earlier suggestion.  Treble response is cleaner, slightly airer, and a little bit sweeter.  I got a hint of the sweetness before, but distortion made that sweetness not so sweet.  Now most of that audible distortion seems to be gone and the sweetness surfaces more.  The biggest difference is noise floor though, it lowered it SO much. Imaging may be a tiny bit better, this could be placebo but I doubt it.  The rest isn't placebo though!

A good digital interface like the U12 is definitely necessary for anyone who uses digital audio.
      Rhamnetin, Dec 25, 2015
    4. watchnerd
      Very thorough and comprehensive review. Nice that it didn't devolve into a morass of superlatives.
      watchnerd, Jan 15, 2016
  3. BucketInABucket
    Bang goes the buck!
    Written by BucketInABucket
    Published Aug 15, 2015
    Pros - Awesome value for money, very comfortable design, natural sounding with much better treble than other AKG K7-series offering
    Cons - Lack of accessories, plasticy build, possible issues with headband elastic, no balanced option

==Introduction==

[​IMG]

I would like to thank the Head-Fi Massdrop staff and AKG for producing such a good pair of headphones. This pair has honestly been one of the best cures for upgrade-itis I have had in a long while and I think that it will be a nice ending to the long story of the AKG K7-series driver as I think AKG decided to do this because the driver is nearing the end of its life cycle.

This review should of course be taken as a grain of salt as it is my opinion and only my opinion. I have past experience with quite a few cans and IEMs before. I personally own or have owned these cans and IEMs (to the best of my knowledge):

1. Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
    8. Monster Turbine Pro Gold
    9. ADL EH-008
    10. Koss Sportapro
    11. Other odd vintage cans

As for the backstory behind these cans, I bought the AKG K7xx when I read the description for the drop for it on Massdrop.com touting these pair of cans to basically be a warmer, bassier AKG K702 Annie back around November. As I have already tried various AKG cans in the past and disliked many of them because of the lack of bass, the overly bright tilt and the oh-so-dreadful headband bumps that most of the mid-tier AKG cans seem to possess, I thought to myself that this would be just the ticket to satisfy my desires and jumped right onto the drop, to the displeasure of my wallet and the absolute joy of my ears.

==Aesthetics==

Packaging and Accessories

[​IMG]These headphones arrived much later in typical Massdrop fashion in a rather typical box with all the usual labelling on it advertising these cans.  (As most people say, you forget that you’ve bought something on Massdrop and then whatever you’ve bought comes as a pleasant surprise much later!) The packaging these headphones come in is, for lack of a better word, minimal – just enough to keep them safe and make them look pretty but nothing else. When I opened it to have a look, the cans seemed to be quite lonely as it comes with absolutely no accessories to accompany it, apart from a ¼-inch adapter. Well, I suppose that means that my attention will be focused on the cans, it seems. I just wish they came with a carrying case.

Design and Build

The AKG K7xx Massdrop 1st Edition is a pair of open-backed headphones co-designed by Massdrop and AKG and are the first batch of a limited run of 6000 headphones. For a pair of $200 headphones, they have a fairly typical build for this price point and are mainly made out of plastic with a bit of metal and real leather used for the headband. They obviously won’t survive a direct hit from a nuclear strike but they should last fairly long under daily use. Plastic obviously means that they feel slightly cheaper but this also contributes to its very light 235 grams of mass which is very good comfort-wise (as I will mention later).

[​IMG]
    They have a really cool stealth black colour scheme which deserves props to AKG for completing the cycle of colour schemes they used starting with white for the original AKG K701 and ending with black for this pair of cans. They have a single-entry configuration for its 3m rubber-coated cable which, while nothing special, does the job with fine fashion. One end is terminated in a 3.5mm jack which accepts a 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter provided by AKG and the other end is terminated with a 3-pin mini-XLR jack. Left and right sides are labelled on the outside of the headband and is fairly easily located. The ear-cups are free to swivel a small amount in any direction but do not fold flat as they are designed for desktop listening.

Comfort and Isolation

Firstly, these are open-backed headphones. Therefore, isolation is irrelevant in this review as they let in almost any background sound and thus isn’t fair to properly judge. However, I do have to say that the leakage from this pair of cans is surprisingly minimal considering its nature and I do have to say that I’m impressed.

[​IMG]
    Comfort, on the other hand, gets a very big thumbs up for me because I tend to be fairly picky when it comes to this. The pads, while not being the deepest, are adequate enough for my ears to nestle in the cups for a few hours without any issues.

The only gripe I have with them is how the tips of my ears touch the inside and how this causes some pain after a few hours, but by then I should be taking a break anyways so this is a fairly minor issue. The headband, like I mentioned previously, is made of real leather, which is a nice touch. The main plus for me, however, is the fact that they have none of the atrociously painful headband bumps that early AKG K7-series headphones had which means that the headband rests comfortably on my head. Clamp is also fairly minimal, being just enough to keep these on my head as long as I don’t start headbanging but not nearly enough to hurt the area around my ears.

The only other issue I have is with the elastic headband suspension system. It’s been fine for the few months I’ve been using this pair of headphones but I’m somewhat worried that they’ll lose elasticity over the years (especially since there have been reports of this happening with other AKG cans) but this also means that the entire system is self-adjusting, which is perfect for my OCD self as I just have to put them on without worrying about setting the headband to be exactly this much distance apart.

==Sound==

Equipment and Burn-in

The equipment I used was: Windows laptop (running Foobar 2000) > AMB Gamma2 > Headamp Gilmore Lite V2, with no EQ used. These headphones have at least a few months of usage and I haven't detected (or don’t remember) any change within the first 100 hours or so of using them. However, I did not burn them in at all and  instead used them straight out of the box.

Bass

As this is an open-backed headphone, extension will of course not be as great as a closed-back headphone. However I was pleasantly surprised to hear that these reach surprisingly low with good clarity and texture. There isn’t the biggest amount of bass, but it’s definitely enough for every genre of music I listen to. It’s punchy and quick when it needs to be and never overwhelms the sound signature.

When it comes to orchestral pieces, sub bass is extremely important for reproducing the feel of the piece. I’m happy to say that this pair of cans have enough to make for an enjoyable listening experience. Compared to the HD650, the bass is far quicker and actually works for electronic music unlike the HD650.

Midrange

The mid-range of these headphones take center stage here. It’s very clear and natural-sounding but also a little warm to give vocals and instruments a little extra oomph to make them sound majestic and lively, unlike most AKG cans in this price range. There isn’t a music piece I’ve listened to that sounds artificial or unnatural with these headphones so far, which greatly impresses me as many other headphones I’ve listened to simply don’t work with specific genres. Everything is articulate and very well-defined and is most similar to a window into the recording. It’s not overly lush and rich but not overly thin and cold either and even subtle distortions in the music can be heard as a result of mastering errors.

Treble

This treble can best be described as neutral to slightly bright, like a cool sip of water in a summer’s day. It’s very well-extended, precise and linear with some subtle lower-treble emphasis which is fairly typical of an AKG can. However, this emphasis is far less pronounced than most other AKG cans and for that I am grateful as I am sensitive to nasty treble spikes. It’s also very resolving, able to pick up a lot of detail in recordings and can be described as rather crisp and clear. However, despite the focus on detail of these headphones, the treble never gets too bright as long as the recording is good quality.

Soundstage/Presentation

Here we go, the famous AKG soundstage that the company’s headphones are known for having. As expected, the AKG K7xx does not disappoint, offering a spacious, wide, high and deep soundstage with excellent positioning and clarity. Every instrument has its own place and the soundstage is so realistic that oftentimes I will think that a sound in the music came from real life – trust me, it’s a confusing feeling when this happens and it’s a good thing!

The overall sound signature of the K7xx is very natural and lifelike. The frequency response for the most part seems to be fairly neutral and most importantly, natural. This pair of cans especially excels with live recordings but can handle most any genre you throw at it and brings the focus of the listener, not the sound signature of the AKG K7xx like some headphones do. Timbre and tonal balance is both excellent and overall these pair of cans seem to be somewhat like a pair of speakers. This also means that they are not forgiving of poor-quality source files which can be a good or bad thing depending on your choice of music.

Update: The Bass Port Mod

After doing the fairly simplistic bass port mod (the details of which are detailed here), the bass quantity improved by a noticeable amount without bleeding into the mids. They're now an excellent pair of cans for even those genres which require a heavy-handed approach to the bass section while still being great at what they were originally good at. Anyways, I like these cans even more now, but keep in mind that the mod is not for everyone, especially not for those who prefer a linear bass section.

==Conclusion==

[​IMG]

The AKG K7xx is probably the best $200 (excluding the $30 shipping) purchase of my life so far. I have been happy with them for over 6 months and I am sure I will be happy with them for many years to come. I prefer it over a lot of the other headphones I’ve auditioned, including its fellow brethren, the Beyer cans, the Sennheiser HD650 and many more. The value is simply insane and I think that its AKG’s best value pair of cans they’ve made in a while.

Some things that AKG could improve on, although I don't see much, is to perhaps include a carrying case for these wonderful headphones as it would be a shame if they broke. I would also love it if they used a 4-pin XLR instead of a 3-pin XLR connector for the cable. It's a good thing that they cost only $200 though as this helps to justify the lack of accessories. However, the bass port being closed up is in my opinion a strange decision. I have a feeling that AKG planned to leave the port open but closed it up at a later time for whatever reason, the likes of which completely defeat my mind as I greatly prefer these cans with the port open.

Category

Score

Packaging and Accessories

3/10

Adequate for the price.

Design and Build

7/10

Typical mid-tier AKG plastic stuff. Fairly solid and functional but the stealth black makes it look cool.

Comfort and Isolation

9/10

One of the most comfortable pair of cans I’ve ever listened to in my life, with only one small nitpick. Isolation is of course moot as this is a pair of open-backed headphones.

7.5/10
    Update: 9/10 with the bass port mod

Good tight well-extended bass for an open-backed headphone. Update: improves substantially with the bass port mod.

Midrange

9.5/10

Fantastic mid-range, better than a lot of more expensive cans I’ve tried and definitely very satisfying.

8.5/10

Clear airy and crisp treble which is well-extended and very revealing.

Presentation

9/10

The way the headphone works is simply marvelous and synergizes very well with each other. The soundstage is amazing too and the texture of the music is top-notch.

10/10

Must-buy especially for its price.   Period.

Total

8.5/10
    Update: 9.5 with the bass port mod

If the lack of accessories don’t bother you, then this is a fabulous open-backed offering from AKG and I highly recommend buying this when it comes up on sale on massdrop. It’s unrivalled at its price point with no significant flaws to hold it back.
    Update: There is also the option to increase the bass by a solid amount which lets these cans shine with even more genres.I have a feeling that AKG planned to leave the port open but closed it up at a later time for whatever reason, the likes of which completely defeat my mind.

==Specs==

4. wontonotnow
    awesome potential, great design
    Written by wontonotnow
    Published Jul 20, 2015
    Pros - comfort, large (LARGE) soundstage, unbelievable price
    Cons - as with any open-back, lots of leakage from both ends. best used in quiet home environment. You can't take these travelling unless you're crazy.
    I did have to get a replacement because the original set's left channel stopped working after a month or so, but massdrop was very accommodating/helpful and i got a new setup within a month. Amp not really necessary but i recommend it because these enjoy the extra juice and are best-of-class for the pricepoint.  They are large,classy and will blow you away unless you have a grand or more to step up to end-game.
  5. money4me247
    The K7xx are Stealthy Cold-Blooded Giant Killers!!
    Written by money4me247
    Published May 11, 2015
    Pros - very competitive pricing, extremely large soundstage, natural-sounding sound signature, great overall SQ and resolution, extremely revealing
    Cons - not widely available, earcups a bit shallow, unforgiving on poor source files
    AKG K7xx Massdrop 1st Edition Headphone Review:

1-IntroImage.jpg

Intro:
    I purchased these headphones at full price during the first drop. I am not affiliated with AKG or Massdrop. I was not solicited or paid for this review, and I have no financial stake/interest with this item. This is not a professional review! This is just detailed personal impressions made by a hobbyist during free time. As always, YMMV and feel free to disagree with any of my subjective impressions. Hope this is an enjoyable & informative read! :)
    Manufacturing headphones since 1949 and responsible for many innovations such as the world’s first supra-aural open-back headphones (the K50 in 1959), AKG Acoustics is an Austrian company producing high quality audio gear including microphones and headphones.

Released in 2005 with an official MSRP of $539, the original AKG K701 quickly replaced for their previous flagship, the K1000 (now discontinued). Prior to age of $1,000+ headphones heralded by the release of the Sennheiser HD800 in 2009, the AKG K701 ruled the headphone scene as a “flagship” pair of headphones, one of the best non-exotic dynamic headphones that money could buy. The ‘old school trio’ of flagship dynamic headphones consisted of the best offerings from AKG, Beyerdynamic, and Sennheiser.

AKG has followed up the K701’s success with revised versions that include the K702, Q701, K702 65th Anniversary edition (MSRP $650), and K712 pro. AKG’s K7-series headphones have always included their most premium reference headphones, offering the best of AKG technology until the recent release of their current flagship, the K812 pro in 2013.

Despite being downgraded to a ‘mid-level/mid-fi’ pair of headphones with the new crop of $1,000+ flagships, the AKG K7-series still has an extremely loyal following among headphone enthusiasts, providing very high-end performance at attainable price points.

Interesting video link on how the AKG K702 are made here.
    Massdrop is community-driven commerce website founded in 2012 that organizes bulk orders for popular products based on discussion and polling to achieve nice group discounts. The Massdrop community currently has over 1 million active users every month. Official Massdrop website here.

How Massdrop Works: Community members can create and vote through polls on desired products. For popular polls, the Massdrop team will contact vendors to procure the item in bulk at discount prices. The item is then "dropped" on the website for a limited time allowing members to join the 'drop.' If enough people join the drop within the time frame, the drop will be successful and the bulk order will be placed. There are often lower pricing tiers that get unlocked as more people join a drop. Use 'Join Now' to reserve a spot in the drop regardless of whether the lowest pricing tier is unlocked. Use 'Commit to join' to only reserve a spot for the lowest pricing tier. After the drop ends, the product page will still be available for 'requests'. If enough requests are reached, the Massdrop will try to organize another drop. Typically, a minimum of 200 requests are required before a new drop on a previously dropped item. Please note shipping times will be longer than traditional retailers as the item gets shipped from the vendor to Massdrop then to the consumer.

more information here: https://www.massdrop.com/faq

0-close-updriver.jpg

The new AKG K7xx is the result of a joint venture between AKG and Massdrop. Based on the limited 65th anniversary edition of the K702 released in 2012, the AKG K7xx is made by AKG and specially configured by Massdrop. They are a Massdrop-exclusive item and not currently available from AKG.

Fun Fact: A total of 6,000 AKG K7xx 1st Edition headphones were produced. All the 1st Edition models have been already sold, and no more 1st Edition drops will occur. No official word on subsequent non-1st edition releases, but click “Request” at this link to vote on bringing it back. Credit to Danny, Will, and the rest of the Massdrop team for organizing the first drop.

***Update on 5/25/15: A second production run of Limited Edition K7xx (non-1st edition) is currently available on Massdrop and will ship 6/26/15***

2-croppedpackaging.jpg

3-sidepackaging.jpg

Tech: The AKG K7xx is an open-back, over-ear pair of headphones with 45mm diameter dynamic transducers. It uses AKG’s patented varimotion two-layer diaphragm and unique flat-wire voice coil. Its frequency response ranges from 10 Hz to 39.8 kHz. The Massdrop price for the K7xx was $199.99 with free domestic shipping and a 2-year warranty included.

3.5croppedsideview.jpg
    AKG K7xx (Side View)

5-close-upfront.jpg
    AKG K7xx (Front View)

Design & Comfort:

The K7xx has the traditional AKG design and styling with their patented self-adjusting suspension system to ensure a comfortable fit. It features a new all-black stealth color scheme with grey and white lettering. I really appreciate the new subtle professional look without any color accents. Left and right sides are labelled on the outside curvature where the headband connects. The unique 6-digit serial number denoting the first edition headphones is discretely located on the interior left-side near the headband while the right side features the Massdrop logo. Like the majority of other AKG headphones, the K7xx is manufactured in China. Primarily constructed with plastic, the headphones are extremely light-weight with the official weight is quoted at 235 grams. I measured my pair without the cable to be 290 grams on my small kitchen scale. Included accessories are a straight 9.8 ft detachable cable (mini-xlr to 1/8" terminations) and an included screw-on 1/4" adapter.

6-tiltedclose.jpg

Thoughtful upgrades (from the first generation AKG 7-series) include the usage of genuine leather headband without any annoying bumps on the bottom surface and velour-covered memory foam earpads. I measured the interior of the earpads to have a 70mm diameter with 24mm depth. The depth of the earpads does compress down quite a bit when worn, so it is possible to experience slight discomfort from the tips of your ears touching the inside of the driver after prolonged usage. The earcups have a ball-in-socket type swivel mechanism that allow for subtle adjustments to accommodate various head shapes. The earcups can swivel 20 degrees in any direction. Similar to many other open over-ear headphones currently on the market, the K7xx earcups do not fold flat as they are designed for non-portable usage. The low weight, large earcup diameter, and premium materials where your head touches the headphone makes for an extremely comfortable experience even for multiple-hour long listening sessions.

7-close-upside.jpg

While the K7xx does not have an particularly exotric or luxurious feel, the overall build quality and design is very competitive for its price point. Very beautiful professional-looking pair of headphones with quite durable construction and universal appeal.

8-endingdesignpix.jpg

Sound Quality:

The K7xx’s overall sound signature is exceptionally well-balanced sound signature without any noticeable emphasis or recession throughout its frequency response. From extensive listening tests with music and test tones, I did detected an extremely subtle midbass emphasis along with slight upper midrange and treble accentuation. The word emphasis is actually a bit of an overstatement as the subtleties to the tuning was barely detectable with frequency response sweeps. I do feel that the K7xx’s overall presentation appears very realistic and natural with recordings of live music. I would personally consider this sound signature to be a very close-to-perfect representation of neutral. The pre-recorded changes in frequency response emphasis of the musical tracks dedicates where your focus goes, not the K7xx’s sound signature. To my ears, the K7xx has an extremely life-like representation of music. With an accurate tonal balance and authentic timbre, the K7xx sounds to be the definition of a transparent pair of headphones to my ears.

Treble has enough brightness to give a nice brilliant sheen to the notes without being too aggressive. Extremely extended treble frequency response into the upper register. Do note that my hearing only goes up to 18kHz. During a treble frequency sweep, the entire treble response was extremely linear to my ears. This type of linear treble presentation is often called ‘delicate.’ Very clear, airy, and crisp treble presentation. Its highly-resolving abilities are capable of picking up extremely low-level micro-detail. Adds a very nice breathy touch in the upper mids and treble. I could easily catch the almost imperceptible breath sounds of the woodwind musicians inhaling and exhaling within the composition. I could also regularly recognize the complete breathing patterns and appreciate the breath control of female vocalists. The presence range of 4 kHz to 6 kHz responsible for intimacy is not artificially over-emphasized or recessed, but inline with the rest of the treble response. The K7xx does not have an overly intimate presentation at all, favoring an analytical detail-focused approach instead. Great sense of treble energy allows for these headphones to really shine at accurately portraying the high registers without any excessive edginess.

The midrange is exceptionally well-defined and articulate. The subtle nuances between the vocals and instrumental interactions are revealed. No extra sense of richness or lushness to the sound signature caused by euphonic distortion. No tinniness or thinness either, but a good sense of fullness without any bloat. Instrumental timbre and tone exceptionally well-represented. Subtle deviations in pitch and texture is also quite clear. Very satisfying sense of balance in this region. The quiet low level detail is easily audible to the point that even minute distortions with some of the older classical tracks due to poor mastering can be quickly identified. These headphones are not as forgiving with poor source files as they are extremely revealing. If there is sibilance, distortion, or noise in your source files, these headphones will not glaze over source flaws and try to hide them. This can cause a shockingly obvious discrepancy between the quality of lower bitrate files compared against 320kbps lossy, lossless compression, or CDs.

The K7xx has a gripping bass with a strong sense of control and sturdiness. No excessive bass reverb on the K7xx. The bass extension are excellent for a pair of dynamic headphones, but there is a subtle low sub-bass roll-off compared to high-quality orthodynamic headphones. The subtle linear mid-bass emphasis adds a pleasant touch of fullness to the sound signature. There is weight to the bass response, but it never feels overemphasized. There is enough impact to feel the rhythm, but it’s never stomping for your attention at the expensive of the mids and treble. The bass presentation is definitely not overly warm. It seems more akin to a moderately ‘cool’ presentation with the long curving subtly downward slope after 120 Hz. Very enjoyable bass response, but not an exciting seismic or visceral bass. Very even-tempered and even-keeled.

The soundstage and imaging of the K7xx is its most outstanding sound quality attribute. The instruments is presented with great focus. Exceptionally spacious with a very large equally-balanced sense of width and depth. Very good sense of height as well. Its soundstage can be spatially represented as a donut-shaped concert hall. This presentation with the horizontal plane being much taller than the vertical plane allows for an extremely realistic portrayal of sound stage. Imaging has a high level of precision that gives the distinctive feeling that every sound can be deftly localized within a few inches of its source. The hyperrealistic portrayal of soundstage and imaging of the K7xx caused me to instinctively turn my head to look at an exact position within the room whenever I got startled by an unexpected sound.

The K7xx has very excellent speed and control for a dynamic pair of headphones. Notes are presented tightly with a good sense of spacing. Transient response is excellent with short attack and decay times. The K7xx is not as fast as a few of the top tier orthodynamic headphones, but this is not noticeable until I did extensive direct side-by-side comparisons. Control over the micro and macro dynamics is top-notch with tiny or sudden changes in volume rendered flawlessly. The micro-detail and noise within the source are revealed with clarity and agility on the K7xx.

There is a good balance between an analytical/clinical presentation with organic presentation. I would be hesitant to characterize the K7xx as one or the other. If forced to choose, I would deem the K7xx to be more on the analytical spectrum with its presentation, but it does still capture strong sense of musical coherency throughout its frequency response that is very revealing of the textural changes. The defined hyper-detail retrieval coexists with a strong sense of musicality on the K7xx.

***Note: Please use this guide here if you are unfamiliar with any of the audiophile terms I used.***
    <http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary> (Credit: miceblue, warrenpchi, autoexec, ClieOS, and Gorthon)
    This list arranged by alphabetically by artist. Obviously, many of these songs are useful for testing multiple sonic strengths.

Treble characteristics: “Concerning Hobbits” from The Fellowship of the Ring Soundtrack, “Set Fire to the Rain” by Adele, “Sarasate: Zigeunerweisen, Op. 20” performed by Anne-Sophie Mutter, “My Heart Will Go On” by Celine Dion, “Trumpet Voluntary in D Major: The Prince of Denmark’s March” performed by Clerkenwell Baroque String Ensemble, “Titanium” by David Guetta, “May It Be” by Enya, “Your Song” by Ellie Goulding, “Bring Me To Life” by Evanescence, “Blue Train” by John Coltrane, “How Long” by Kaskade, “My Life Would Suck Without You” by Kelly Clarkson, “Bleeding Love” by Leona Lewis, “Euphoria” by Loreen, “Execute Me” by Medina, “Our Love Is Easy” by Melody Gardot, “Come Away With Me” by Norah Jones, “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston
    Midrange characteristics: “Life Goes On” by 2pac, “Gangsta’s Paradise” by Coolio, “The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows” by Brand New, “Vindicated” by Dashboard Confessional, “Hotel California” by the Eagles, “Come Fly With Me” by Frank Sinatra, “Moon River” by Frank Sinatra, “Welcome To The Jungle” by Guns N’ Roses, “Lips of An Angel” by Hinder, “Dark Blue” by Jack’s Mannequin, “Want To Want Me” by Jason Derulo, “I’m Yours” by Jason Mraz, “What A Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong, “Suicidal Thoughts” by The Notorious B.I.G., “Radioactive” by Pentatonix, “Tears of the East” by Philip Wesley, “Canon in D Major” performed by Pimlico Quartet, “Californication” by Red Hot Chili Peppers, “Savior” by Rise Against, “Hallelujah” by Rufus Wainwright, “So Far Away” by Staind, “The Dream of You” by Tim Neumark, “River Flows In You” by Yiruma
    Bass characteristics: “Sail” by AWOLNATION, “Brass Monkey” by Beastie Boys, “Monster” by DotEXE, “Dubstep Killed Rock n Roll” by Ephixa, “Deviance” by Excision, “Blood Red” by Feed Me, “I Can’t Stop” by Flux Pavilion, “Elements” by Fractal,“Concrete Angel” by Gareth Emery, “Aggressive Expansion” by Hans Zimmer, “Rise” by Hans Zimmer, “Time” by Hans Zimmer, “Limit to Your Love” by James Blake, “N*ggas in Paris” by Jay-Z, “Love Lockdown” by Kanye West, “Alive” Krewella, “Teardrop” by Massive Attack, “Remember the Time” by Michael Jackson, “The Island” by Pendulum, “Know Your Enemy” by Rage Against the Machine, “Full Force” by Rameses B, “1812 Overture” performed by Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, “Love is Darkness” by Sander Van Doorn, “Break Your Heart” by Taio Cruz, “Heartbeat” by Vicetone, “On My Level” by Wiz Khalifa, “Nuclear” by Zomboy
    Imaging/Soundstage: “Book of Days” by Enya, “Caribbean Blue” by Enya, “Spirited Away - One Summer’s Day” by Joe Hisaishi, “Somewhere I Belong - Live in Texas” by Linkin Park, Hans Zimmer, “Now We Are Free” by Hans Zimmer, “The Thin Red Line” by Hans Zimmer, "Whispers In The Dark - Comes Alive Version" by Skillet, “Futile Devices” by Sufjan Stevens, “Words” by Yiruma
    Speed and control: “Thunderstruck” by AC/DC, “Invincible” by Adelitas Way, “Flower of Life” by Au5, “The Diary of Jane” by Breaking Benjamin,  “Can You Keep Up” by Busta Rhymes, “Bitterphobia” by Eminem, “Rap God” by Eminem, “Renegade” by Eminem, “The Might of Rome” by Hans Zimmer, “Elements” by Lindsey Stirling, “Enter Sandman” by Metallica, “The Magic Flute, K. 620: Overture” performed by Metropolitan Philharmonic Orchestra, “William Tell Overture” performed by Metropolitan Philharmonic Orchestra, “The Tsar Of Saltan, Op. 57: Flight of the Bumblebee” performed by Metropolitan Philharmonic Orchestra, “Last Resort” by Papa Roach. “Testify” by Rage Against The Machine, “That’s All She Wrote” by T.I., “Let’s Go” by Travis Barker, “Frum Da Tip Of My Tung” by Twista, “Kill Us All” by Twista, "Silent Jealousy" by X Japan
    Dynamics: “Suite No. 3 in D Major” performed by the Pimlico Quartet, “Piano Sonata No. 14 in C-Sharp Minor I. Moonlight” performed by Bernhard Jarvis, “Axel F” by Harold Faltermeyer, “All Along the Watchtower” by Jimi Hendrix, “Eptesicus” by Hans Zimmer, “Dream Is Collapsing” by Hans Zimmer, “One Mic” by Nas, “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen, “The Suite Bergamasque: III. Clair de Lune” performed by Robert Einstein, "Art of Life" by X Japan
    Low-level detail: too many great examples, will update if I notice an example that is especially nice

11frontshotonstand.jpg
    K7xx on EBA-01 headphone stand (Front View)

11angledshotonstand.jpg
    K7xx on EBA-01 headphone stand (Angled View)

11closerangled.jpg
    K7xx on EBA-01 headphone stand (Close-Up 1)

11croppedonstandsideview.jpg
    K7xx on EBA-01 headphone stand (Close-Up 2)

11side-shotonstand.jpg

K7xx on EBA-01 headphone stand (Side View)

Measurements:
    *******Important Notes*******
    1. I wrote my sonic impressions prior to doing personal measurements.
    2. Please note I am a relative amateur at measuring headphones. My personal measurements may not be as accurate as other sources. May update measurements as I run more trials. Any feedback or suggestions for improvement appreciated. Let me know if you spot any errors.
    3. Measurement chain: Dell XPS m1530 with Windows 7 > ARTA Generates Sine Sweeps > Steinberg UR-22 USB Interface with Yamaha ASIO > Line Out > Oppo HA-2 Amplifier > headphones placed upon my own head (left ear being measured) > Pannasonic WM61-A Microphone > Steinberg UR-22 > Laptop > ARTA analysis
    4. I used a Panasonic WM61-A microphone in my measurement set-up. The WM61-A does actually measure very flat until the upper treble range when calibrated. Its unequalized response should be flat within +/- 1.5 dB to 20 kHz. Frequency response curves are smoothed to 1/24 octave.
    5. The dip in the 6kHz region is an artifact from the interaction from the mic placement with the shape of the ear folds. This artifact appears in all my measured frequency response curves via my current personal measurement set-up. The dip at 3 kHz in my measurements also appears in the Massdrop official measurements. The 3 kHz dip is not audible from my personal listening tests, most likely just the way an uncompensated raw graph will look.
    6. You can NOT directly compare my personal measurements to other frequency response curves made by other people!!! There will be inherent discrepancies due to differences in measurement set-up, so comparing measurements from different sources is not reliable!!
    7. For frequency response curve comparisons, I would recommend Tyll’s extensive database. Full list of his measurements found here. (credit: Tyll Hertsens at Innerfidelity)
    8. Reference here for frequency response correlations to instruments and audiophile terms. (credit: Independent Recording Network)
    ***********************************
    FR measurements by Other Sources (Remember not to directly compare measurements from different sources)
    MD-4505_20141120093610_c7ab26f4fef5600d.jpg
    Above: The Official K7xx's Frequency Graph on Massdrop (link here)

akgk7xxfr.png

9-FRPNs24t2.png
    My Measurements, Trial #2: Pink Noise, Smoothing 1/24th

9-FRWNs24.png
    My Measurements, Trial #3: White Noise, Smoothing 1/24th

Personal comments on the my measured FR: While there is a slight 3dB bass boost measured (most prominent in the mid-bass region), I do not hear a significant bass emphasis when doing a test tone sweep. For open headphones, it is often desirable to have a subtle boost to the low end response to achieve a natural sound and hit the ideal target headphone response (which is not a flat line on the raw curve). I did not hear the dip at 3 kHz, most likely just the shape of uncompensated graphs. The 6 kHz dip is an artifact of my measuring set-up. Also, you can see the variation in the upper treble region from my repeated measurements; This is a common occurrence among all headphone measurements. The upper treble region is usually measured by taking the average of multiple trials with smoothing applied. The raw single trial data on the upper treble is not indicative of the headphone's performance.

CroppedAKGK7xxImpulseResponse.png
    Impulse Response

CroppedAKGK7xxFR.png
    Frequency Response Curve Generated from the Impulse Response

CroppedAKGK7xxCSD.png
    Cumulative Spectrum Decay Plot Generated from the Impulse Response

Note: Feedback or suggestions on how to improve my measurements are welcome!
    ***Special thanks to hans030390 and Bluemonkeyflyer for all their helpful advice and tips when I was just starting out & learning about the measurement aspect of this hobby!!***

Direct Comparisons: (links take you to the head-fi product page of each model)
    *******Important Notes*******
    1. I am defining “mid-fi” as headphones that are not considered entry-level or flagships. Does not mean that its actual sonic performance is not high-fidelity. The overall mid-fi open over-ear headphone category usually ranges from $300-$700.
    2. Please remember these are my own personal subjective impressions. YMMV!!!
    *********************************
    Against the ATH-M50x: Good reference point for a closed entry-level v-shaped portable.
    The ATH-M50x sounds congested and suffocatingly closed-in during a direct comparison against the K7xx. Very prominent bass and treble emphasis with a recessed midrange on the M50x in comparison to the K7xx’s frequency response curve. Noticeable faster and tighter notes with better instrument separation on the K7xx. Much better imaging on the K7xx as well.

Against the PM-3: Mid-fi closed, portable planar magnetic with balanced tuning & outstanding performance, one of my personal favorites in this category
    Biggest difference is that the K7xx has a much larger and spacious presentation compared to the PM-3's intimate presentation. The K7xx has a crisper, airy treble presence compared to the smooth treble presentation of the PM-3. Bass quantity is approximately the same. The PM-3’s have a subtle bit more sub-bass emphasis compared to the K7xx’s more mid-bass emphasis. Imaging is quite precise on the PM-3, but even better on the K7xx. The K7xx is less forgiving with poor sources than the PM-3.
    CroppedPM-2PNs24.jpg
    Against the AKG K553 pro: Very capable mid-fi closed full-size pair of headphones based on the K550.
    Similar tuning between the two models. The K553 has a warmer bass presence and more bass reverb due to its closed design. The K553 has a non-fatiguing treble tuning while the K7xx has more crispiness and airiness to the treble region. The K7xx also has sharper, better defined treble and improved overall clarity. Soundstage is larger and imaging more precise on the K7xx. The K7xx is less forgiving with poor sources than the K553.
    croppedakgk5330WNs24.jpg
    Against the AKG Q701: Mid-fi dynamic open
    The Q701 had a wider L-R soundstage but less depth and height. The Q701’s lateral soundstage seemed a bit too wide to my ears which detracted a bit from its realism. The K7xx’s soundstage is more akin to a donut with the same width and depth to its soundstage. The K7xx’s soundstage height is larger than the Q701. Note, I personally did not experience the ‘center hole’ phenomena with the Q701’s sound stage, but I can understand where those impressions come from. In terms of sound signature, the Q701 had a very sharp and bright treble-oriented sound signature while lacking in its bass response and presence. I considered the Q701 to be colored on the bright side of neutral. The Q701 sounded a bit artificial at times and can be a bit thin and tinny. I personally strongly prefer the K7xx’s sound signature and find it to sound more natural and realistic to my ear.

Against the Beyerdynamic DT880: Mid-fi dynamic semi-open (demo only, not direct comparison)
    I don’t want to comment too in-depth here as I have only demoed these headphones and not owned them for significantly long periods of time. The DT880 is generally considered to be quite close to neutral, but I personally thought the DT880 had a tad bit of a subtly v-shaped interpretation of neutral. I found the DT880 to have a bit excessive brightness and treble energy for my tastes. I do remember being impressed by the DT880’s bass extension and bass quality. Still an outstanding pair of headphones with extremely high sound quality, especially at its price point. Most likely very similar overall technical abilities though I know that the Q701 had a larger soundstage than the DT880 from a direct comparison. I have a feeling that the K7xx also has a larger soundstage compared to the DT880, but cannot be sure without a direct comparison.

Against the Sennheiser HD600/HD650: Mid-fi dynamic open (demo only, not direct comparison)
    Again I don’t want to comment too in-depth here as I have only demoed these headphones and not owned them for significantly long periods of time. In terms of overall obvious sound signature differences, I am comfortable saying that the HD600 does appear to have slightly less bass presence and treble energy compared to the K7xx while the HD650 also appears to have less treble with about the same or a bit more bass presence against the K7xx. Hard to specify exactly without a direct comparison. I did think the HD650 has a warm presentation, while I don’t get that feeling with the K7xx. I never had any issue with a Sennheiser veil, but the K7xx definitely does not have veiling of treble energy. K7xx is extremely airy without any inherent graininess or harshness. I do think all three of these headphones do provide a very close to neutral overall presentation and personal preference will determine which you will like the best. The most obvious sound quality difference beyond the differences in sound signature is that the K7xx has a faster transient response while the HD600 and HD650 are more laid-back and sound more relaxed. Soundstage and imaging also appears to better on the K7xx in my subjective estimation.

Against the HE-400 (rev4): Mid-fi orthodynamic open
    The K7xx has a larger soundstage and more precise imaging. The HE-400 has faster transient response and more spacing between notes. The bass is more linear and extends deeper on the HE-400 for a weightier, more visceral bass presence. The K7xx has a subtle mid-bass emphasis and the K7xx’s sub-bass presence is not as noticeable compared to the HE-400. The HE-400 had an unique coloration consisting of an upper-mid recession with a treble spike. I personally greatly enjoyed the HE-400’s sound signature, but its overall tuning is not as neutral and balanced as the K7xx. IMO, the K7xx has better mids and treble while the HE-400’s greatest strength was its bass quality. The K7xx’s tuning is much more versatile with a wider range of genres than the HE-400 that can sometimes sound unnatural on certain tracks.

Against the Hifiman HE-560: Good reference point for flagship w/ a neutral clinical presentation.
    The K7xx has a very similar neutral-oriented more clinical sound signature presentation as the HE-560. The HE-560 is a bit brighter with a deeper and more linear bass response. Bass notes do seem tighter than the HE-560 and better defined. Faster transient response on the HE-560. Soundstage is very close to call. I give the edge the the HE-560, but it is not by too much. Better detail retrieval and clarity on the HE-560.
    CroppedHE-560PNs24.jpg
    Against the Audeze LCD-X: Another good flagship reference point (darker-presentation).
    The K7xx does not share the darkness and specific colorations associated with the Audeze house sound. The LCD-X’s bass performance is a lot more satisfying than the K7xx with a more visceral presence and stronger weighty impact. Bass notes do not seem that much significantly tighter, I do think the bass texture and definition on the LCD-X is among the best within flagships and easily beats the K7xx. A bit faster transient response on the LCD-X, but very close to call. Soundstage is even harder to call here and it may be about even in my estimation. Differences in soundstage and imaging would be in inches, not feet.
    CroppedLCD-XPNs24.jpg

More Comparisons: (links to my posts within head-fi threads)
    1. The HE-560 vs LCD-X vs K7xx
    2. Specific Song Analysis of differences between the HE-560 vs LCD-X vs K7xx (test track: Whispers In The Dark)

Amplification:

The AKG K7xx has a sensitivity of 105 dB/V and rated impedance of 62 ohms. This means to reach a 115dB (the volume of a loud rock concert), only 161 mW of power is required. Normal listening levels for headphones typically range from 60 dB to 95 dB. It is possible to reach normal listening volumes without any additional amplification with these headphones and I was able to reach more than adequate listening volumes with the K7xx driven directly out of the 3.5mm headphone jack on my Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone.

I would personally recommend adding an amplifier capable of 50-200 mW RMS at 64 ohms to guarantee enough headroom for clean controlled performance during dynamic peaks. Do note that 200 mW is very excessive as the maximum input power for the AKG K7xx is 200 mW. That range will give more power than the required calculated amount. Keep in mind that there are many other factors beyond power ratings that determine an amplifier’s performance and pairing. The majority of dedicated headphone amplifiers on the market should be more than technically sufficient for the K7xx.

Reference for calculating power requirements: http://www.apexhifi.com/specs.html
    Reference chart for the volume levels: http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

I tested the K7xx with quite a variety of amplifiers and dacs including the Resonessence Herus, Oppo HA-2, Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost Uber, and Woo Audio WA7 with WA7tp. I would characterize the K7xx as quite transparent to external components, meaning they can pick up the subtle sonic characteristics of your external components. My personal favorite pairing out of my collection for the K7xx was the Lyr 2 hybrid tube amplifier and Bifrost dac for a warmer presentation but still very detailed sound. The HA-2 also was a good choice for providing a clean interpretation of the K7xx’s sound signature with minimal additional coloration.

Generally, the addition of an amplifier will provide improvements in soundstage, detail resolution, dynamic range, and speed for a cleaner, better controlled sound. There can be subtle sound signature changes with different amplifiers as well. I personally do think the sonic improvements with different amplifiers are generally quite subtle as long as the headphones are being adequately powered. I did notice the sonic performance of the K7xx scaling up with different components with its best technical performance out of my Schiit Lyr 2 + Bifrost stack.

I would recommend using an amplifier with the K7xx, but I do think most any amplifier will be sufficient. For people who enjoy a warmer, more relaxed sound, hybrid tube amplifiers can be a good choice. The budget entry option I used in the past was the Bravo V3. For people looking to keep the original sound signature of the K7xx, there are a variety of well-recommended solid-state amplifiers at various price points. Two popularly recommended entry-level solid state amplifier and dac combos are the JDS ODac+O2 amplifier and the Schiit Modi dac + Magni amplifier. I have found the HA-2 to be a great choice if you require the versatility of portable device that has multiple gain settings, bass boost feature, and smartphone battery charging features.

Value Judgment:

The K7xx offers an extremely competitive price point for the sound quality they provide. I personally cannot think of another $200 pair of headphones that match their technical prowess and has a such a well-balanced natural-sounding sound signature.

The K7xx competes directly against the classic well-respected $300-$700 mid-fi headphones from Sennheiser (HD600/HD650), Beyerdynamic (DT770/DT880/DT990), and from within AKG’s own line-up (K702 65th Anniversary Edition, K712 pro). The K7xx has among the best soundstaging abilities out of open headphones and should easy outperforms the majority of closed-back headphones currently available on the market up to the $700 price point in that department. Upgrading from an entry-level open or closed headphone to the K7xx will give you a quite noticeable improvement in sound quality that should relatively easy to appreciate (even without a direct comparison). The sound quality improvements jumping from the K7xx to the flagship headphones are much more subtle and you will be diving into the area of diminishing returns. Without a direct side-by-side comparison, it can be difficult to precisely pick out the exact technical performance differences between the K7xx against superior flagship models. The most obvious sonic improvements that flagships possess over the K7xx are faster transient response times, the removal of subtle graininess to the texture, and slight improvements to the overall clarity/detail resolution.

To put it into relative perspective, I am comfortable giving a personal relative estimate that the K7xx will give you at least 70-90% of the performance of the flagship models, while the K7xx can provide a 50-300% improvement in performance compared to entry-level headphones (all depending on the specific model of course). The K7xx still stays extremely competitive and evenly-matched against the best mid-fi offerings even up to the price range of $700.

These headphones are my personal top pick for the mid-fi open-back over-ear category not only in terms of performance/price ratio, but also overall sonic performance. Sound signature preferences can sway your personal pick among these headphones, but there is no denying the K7xx’s strong sonic capabilities.

Scoring: (the green bar ratings on the side seem to be an average of all review scores, this is my actual scoring)
    Audio Quality: 9/10
    Comfort: 8/10
    Design: 9/10
    Value: 10/10
    Overall Rating: 5/5 - I do not give a 5/5 overall rating lightly. This is the only gear I own that I view to warrant a full score rating. The AKG K7xx's overall performance is extremely competitive without any significant flaws. The K7xx's performance per price point and overall value is unbeatable (in my experience, compared to all the headphones I have owned and demoed).

Conclusion:

Sound signature is very close to “audiophile-neutral” with a subtle linear bass elevation in the frequency response curve for a more natural sounding presentation. Soundstage and imaging capabilities are among the best in this category. Extremely fast speed for a dynamic headphone with great instrument separation. Extremely detailed and precise sound with a crispy airy treble, natural-bodied bass, and clean articulate midrange.

Greatest overall strength is its sonic performance per price value. Amazing audio performance that can go into the ring against flagships without being embarrassed for only $200. Greatest specific sonic strength is its soundstage and imaging abilities, which are among the best for open headphones. Detail retrieval is extremely excellent, picking up the most subtle changes in texture and very minute background sounds. Its frequency response tuning is very well-balanced and natural to my ears. Very versatile and will perform well with all genres of music. Will respond to EQ very well due to its balanced tuning.

Greatest con that I could find was the depth of the earpads. I do think a bit thicker earpads may nice as the memory foam compresses down after usage. This is an extreme minor fault. At their price point, there is really no other options that offer their combination of affordability and high-end sound quality. Second con is that they are not widely available and only available via time-limited drops from Massdrop. Final factors in determining if these headphones are suitable for you would be if you require noise isolation or if your music collection only consists of extremely low bitrate lossy files. The open-backed K7xx will leak sound in and out, and they are very highly resolving of micro-details, so they can be unforgiving with poor source files.

For aspiring audiophiles trying to find their first pair of ‘audiophile-oriented’ headphones with a clean uncolored sound signature as well as veteran audiophiles searching for a pair of reference-quality headphones with a high performance/price ratio to complement their existing collection, I would highly recommend the AKG K7xx.

Definitely an extremely competitive offering against everything else currently on the market from a sound quality to price perspective! A well-balanced, clean, uncolored sound signature with precise micro-detail resolution and best-in-class sound stage!!

I deem the AKG K7xx to be "Stealthy Cold-Blooded Giant Killers" as they currently are a difficult-to-acquire pair of headphones. Cloaked with a sleek black look that blends into the shadows and armed with a 'cold-blooded' unforgiving hyper-detailed presentation, the K7xx can battle against the 'giants' of the headphone world without being embarrassed.

10-imageofset-up.jpg

Massdrop Product link: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones?s=akg%20k7xx
    ***please note, the First Edition drop has currently ended, non-serialized models may possibly be available in the future if enough requests.***
    ***Update on 5/25/15: A second production run of Limited Edition K7xx is currently available on Massdrop and will ship 6/26/15***
    2. WhiskeyJacks
      So, Money, a question for someone that has owned He-560 and and experienced the AKG K7xx would you say that the K7xx would potentially be a good buy for someone who cannot afford the HE-560 and wants a similar presentation?
      WhiskeyJacks, Feb 12, 2016
    3. Zobel
      Yep. Absolutely spot on in this review! You actually made a more enlightening review than any I've read on these. I have to agree on your findings here 100%. You could do this for a living!
      Zobel, Mar 7, 2016
    4. BlackspeedF355
      Brilliantly written review with great detail and voice. I just bought a pair on the last drop and I eagerly await their arrival.
      BlackspeedF355, Jan 25, 2017
  6. MilkyShakes
    AKG needs a cookie
    Written by MilkyShakes
    Published Mar 22, 2015
    Pros - They very well balanced, and comfortable
    Cons - Not many acessories
    :):D im bad at reviews
      octiny likes this.
    1. Music Alchemist
      After reading your review...I think I'm going to buy these headphones *immediately*. =P
      Music Alchemist, Mar 22, 2015
    2. Sonic Defender
      Sonic Defender, Mar 23, 2015
    3. raybone0566
      very informative! can't wait for your next review.
      raybone0566, Mar 23, 2015
  7. tswmcello
    Best headphone I have, Great Value
    Written by tswmcello
    Published Mar 15, 2015
    Pros - Clear highs, present mids, and decently extended bass, fitment feels great with memory foam ear pads.
    Cons - I wish they came with a case.
    Between my VModa Crossfade LP's, the Grado SR-80i's, AKG K240's, and the TTPOD TT-1E, the AKG 7XX headphones easily sound the best. They have a great fitment, and can be worn for hours, plus they also have a very clear sound. I'm definitely hearing details in songs that I have only ever heard with the Grado's, but with much more bass extension than my Grado's ever offered. I would definitely recommend this headphones to anyone I know willing to put down 200 for some great headphones.
      trellus likes this.
  8. Change is Good
    The swiss army knife
    Written by Change is Good
    Published Feb 28, 2015
    Pros - Great all rounder, comfort, large soundstage, insane price per performance ratio
    Cons - Lack of accessories, slight grain in upper mids
    Intro

Well, after almost two years on Head-fi, I feel it is time to put my words out there and write my first review. In doing so, I feel it is only right that it be about the newly released AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition. There are only a few days left on the final drop of 1000 units, and with no definite word on whether production will continue, I feel the need to make people aware of just how wonderful these babies are, and for only $200! This has been the best value per performance ratio that I have heard out of any headphone to date in my short audiophile-ish life. I chose to purchase this headphone because I am an avid lover of the AKG house sound; some of my most favorite headphones, to date, are the K712 and K702 65th Anniversary Edition.

Now, I have to re-iterate on my short audiophile-ish life (key in on ish) before continuing. This is my first review and I want readers to familiarize themselves with my preferences and experience. I have yet to expand my listening on the higher end stuff. My limited experience consists of mostly mid-fi headphones under $500 on similarly priced sources and gear. If you want to see my current and prior line-up, just check out my profile. I prefer warm, bassy headphones, with slightly recessed mids and smooth but not recessed treble (SRH1540, anyone?). I do, however, appreciate other sound signatures for their strengths, but am not the flat response neutral-head audiophile. I mostly listen to Rap/Hip Hop and R&B/Soul, with some Jazz, Reggae, Classic Rock, and Pop on occasions.

Okay, enough about me. On to the star of the show…

AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Review

Physical build and accessories:

The K7XX is built pretty nicely and is sturdy for such a light headphone. It has an adjustable flat leather headband, (ridding the bumps of prior models such as the K701, K702, and Q701) and the ear pads are made of soft memory foam.

It doesn't come with many accessories, which I believe to be its biggest con. All you receive is the headphones, a 10ft mini XLR to 1/8 inch cable, a 1/4 inch adapter, and manufacturer paperwork. Still, for the asking price, there is not much to complain about, here. The K702 65th Anniversary Edition is almost twice its price and comes with the same accessories. Only the K712 has a decent amount of accessories included (two cables and a carrying bag), and even that is almost twice the price of the K7XX.

Comfort:

When I say comfortable, man, these are COMFORTABLE!!! I mostly use these for gaming on my PS4, which often end up being sessions of hours upon hours on end (no, I don't have much of a life outside of school and work *sad face*). This is the only headphone I have been able to wear for so long without any fatigue from comfort or sound. If you need a headphone for long listening sessions, and the sound fits your preference, look no where else. You have found your perfect match (I did!).

Massdrop claims that their signature AKG K7XX has a matched response to that of the AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition by using the same driver technology. Well, based off memory, I can confirm that this is correct. I owned the Anniversary a while back and, as I mentioned before, this is familiar territory for me as I am extremely fond of that headphone.

The bass is tight, articulate, and just north of neutral to my ears. It does a great job of being present while not bleeding into the mids. It kicks when it needs to, and relaxes when asked. It does a beautiful job of mixing in with the rest of the spectrum, while still being slightly warm and liking for the consumer audience. The extension is very nice, but not as deep as the likes of its open counterpart, the K612. Still, AKG does a great job of improving the bass presence of the drier K702/Q701 with this wonderful headphone. Bassheads, however, may need to look elsewhere. Though it is one of the K7XX's strengths, it is by far NOT a bassy headphone.

The mids are also a strong point, here. Though not as forward as the likes of most mid-centric cans, I just love how its voice presentation blends in. Vocals absolutely shine when it is the star of the show, and the fact that there is no bass bleed makes for a wonderfully smooth experience. Male vocals are more present than female, but there is a slight grain in the upper mid range on certain tracks. This is a similar experience that I had with the K702 Anniversary Edition, which was the major difference between it and the K712 I purchased right after, which slightly improves on that minor flaw. The K7XX has that same flaw, so I can assume that difference is the same when compared to the smoother K712.

Highs are the most sensitive frequency range for my ears. I do not like overly bright headphones, though I do appreciate their detail and clarity on certain genres. The K7XX's treble does a great job of falling right where I want it to be, detailed without being bright or recessed. If I were to make an analogy, I would have to say the highs are that one person in the crowd who is unique and appealing, but doesn't necessarily stand out. The treble is very well behaved while still having a good level of clarity and presence. It is by far some of the best treble I have heard on an open headphone. It can be a bit brittle, at times, but I think that is more to blame on the poorly recorded track rather than the headphones.

My favorite thing about this headphone is its wonderful soundstage and instrument seperation. Because of the large soundstage, it allows the K7XX to have no weaknesses in its sound presentation. The slightly north of neutral bass has room to breathe, resulting in that sensual transition from lows to mids without any muddiness or bass bleed. Also, when gaming, the large soundtstage allows for pin point accuracy when trying to define where sounds are coming from. A definite strength, arguably its best.

Sound leakage and isolation is poor, but that is to be expected from an open headphone. This is strictly for home use in quiet environments.

Amplification:

Though not required, it is ideal that one provides the right synergy for this fantastic headphone. It absolutely loves juice, so don't cheat it from its vitamin C. The K7XX scales extremely well with proper amplification.

Conclusion:

Massdrop's variation of AKG's K700 line is one that is surprisingly low priced based on its sound performance. The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition is a great all-rounder, one that does most, if not all, genres very well. I know this can be a bit cliché, but it is indeed a jack of all trades kind of headphone. If you are looking for a good headphone for all purposes at home, this is one you should look at very closely. There is no definite timetable for when/if AKG will manufacture more, so I strongly suggest to get your hands on one if the situation calls for it.

It has been my pleasure to share my thoughts with you all about this marvelous headphone. I hope I touched on most of what readers search for when reading a headphone review. Please feel free to give me some feedback and pointers for future reviews, should I have missed or messed up on anything. Thank you for reading!

trellus, moyuchi, DVDIT and 2 others like this.
    2. pieman3141
      I agree. I've got the K712s, so the bass signature is slightly more elevated than the K702AE/K7XX. Still not a bassy headphone, but just the right amount. In some tracks, especially in a mixed choir, the way the male and female vocals blend can be phenomenal, and almost all the TOTL headphones I've tried need to struggle the reproduce this.
      pieman3141, Mar 2, 2015
    3. Delance26
      You mentioned the 1540 in your review, do you own it? if so I am curious how it compares to the 7xx as I am most likely getting one soon and currently own the 1540 as well.
      Delance26, Jan 11, 2016
    4. Change is Good
      I did own the 1540 for a good long while alongside the K7XX. They compliment each other very well with their different tones, K7XX being more open and linear sounding. You will be very happy, indeed, if you do get one. I sure was!
      Change is Good, Jan 14, 2016
  9. bpandbass
    An amazing value for 200 dollars, especially if you have a good system for it
    Written by bpandbass
    Published Feb 14, 2015
    Pros - great comfort, very dynamic transience, AKG signature mids, mostly neutral; quick, clean and tight extending bass, behaved treble, great imagining
    Cons - long burn-in and power hungry; if your system is not up to par, the mids will sound sucked out, the treble brittle, and the bass dull
    To start this review off, I've owned several AKGs, including the Q701 Quincy Jones, the K702 65th Anniversary, K240 MK II, and until a few months ago, the K612 Pro. I was craving another AKG, and before I pulled the trigger on the pumpkin-colored USD 350-400 K712 Pro, the internet bulk buying site Massdrop announced that they were partnering with AKG to make the special edition K7XX Massdrop Edition. Made in China instead of Austria, I was originally skeptical that AKG was able to hold up their claim that they made a 200 dollar version of their 500 dollar K702 65th Anniversary Edition. I thought it was a needless purchase, since I previously owned an 'Annie and there wouldn't be anything new to refresh my enthusiasm. However after inquiring from another AKG enthusiast, the K7XX would sound different from my former K702 Annie and it was worth a shot.

This is where things get a little complicated:

My K702 Annie was an early production (EP) model, which predated its mass production younger sibling, the K712 Pro. The EP K702 Annies and K712 Pro do not sound the same due to different tuning and slightly different memory foam padding between the models. The EP K702 Annies have a dark mid and upper treble, a boosted upper mid section, a slightly boosted bass overall from the K702 and Q701, and a fairly closed in soundstage. The K712s have more mid to upper treble, a little extra mid bass emphasis over the Annies, and a more open, wider soundstage. Whereas the EP K702 Annies have an intimate, treble-dark, thick, mid forward sound, the K712 Pros have a somewhat U-shaped sound. HOWEVER, AKG in the later production run of the K702 Annies retuned them to sound more like the K712s, giving them a little more mid treble, warmer bass, less exaggerated upper mids, and a wider soundstage to become a sonic hybrid of the K712 Pro and the EP K702 Annies. This retuned version of the K702 Annie was what AKG based the K7XX on. This wasn't the first time AKG tuned older versions of a headphone to sound more similar to a newer version. When AKG launched the first K7 incarnation, the K701 back in 2006, and later the dark blue K702, they received a number of complaints that the headphones had little to no physicality to the bass, plastic sounding and overly zazzy treble, and no warmth to the mids. When the Q701 Quincy Jones Edition was introduced, AKG soon redesigned and relaunched the K701 and K702, which now sounded like the Q701, having better behaved treble, less diffused soundstage and slightly warmer upper bass. When reviewers state that the K701, K702 and Q701 sound the same, this is because they are listening to the retuned models, and not the colder, brighter earlier versions.

Here are some pictures. Each image belongs to its respective owner.

K701

K702

Q701

K702 Annie

K712 Pro

Now that I've clarified this potential confusion, onto the review.

The K7XX build-wise is pretty much identical to its K7 siblings, with its large driver capsules, matte finished plastic from the K702 Annie and K712, a single sided detachable cable terminated to a 3 pin mini XLR connector (sorry balanced audio fans, this isn't going to be as easy to run balanced as a Sennheiser HD600/650), and a genuine leather, bump-free headband just like the Annies, K712, and now Chinese made black K702. The K7XX is an all matte black headphone with black ear cups, black cable, and black headband rails. It has a very handsome and stealthy appearance. So if some of you didn't like the black and orange K712 and thought it looked like the headphone incarnation of a KTM motorcycle (also Austrian), or if you crave the headphone equivalent of a black helicopter, the K7XX may be just for you. What's interesting is that the first model of K7s, the K701, was an all-white headphone, while the latest model, the K7XX, is all-black. Maybe this is a sign that the color gamut has ended and this will be the last version of the K7 family? Who knows. The K7XX like the K7s now made in China, doesn't quite have as nice a build as the Austrian and Slovak-made K7s, so there is a bit you give up in build for a cheaper headphone. But not a ton.

So as comfort goes, the K7XX is about as comfortable as a K7 can possibly get. The clamp is enough to keep them on my head without making them a vice grip, the headband is auto adjusting via elastic straps and as I mentioned has zero bumps underneath it to give my skull hot spots. The ear pads are fairly large in size and while the openings are circular and not the largest in diameter to allow long ears to float freely in them, they are plenty deep, never overheat, and have a very luxuious velour wrapping. They are deeper than the K702 Annie pads, which I found weren't deep enough for my ears, causing them to touch the driver covers. Not the case here. The foam padding while firm and super dense, conforms seamlessly to the the head and requires no break in to achieve a seal around the ears. This is some of the best use of memory foam padding I have experienced in a headphone. I expect this padding to keep its compliance and strength for quite some time. While it might seem somewhat firm at first, it disappears over your head.

Now onto sound.

The K7XX to my ears has a level of refinement, resolution and dynamics that most other 200 dollar open backs simply cannot deliver. For an AKG, it's a slightly warmer and wetter sound, but compared to Sennheisers it still remains a little dry.

Soundstage has a good amount of imaging and instrument placement, while not having the tendency to pan left and right, with the center stage going dead like on the K701 and K702. There isn't this level of airiness or diffusion one might expect from an open back, but soundstage by no means is cupped or closed in.

The treble to my ears has great air and extension when the situation calls for it, but otherwise remains neutral and kept in check. When amplified adequately and fed good quality audio, it never goes out of control with splashy or sibilant highs. There is some brightness in the mid treble that becomes apparent on aggressive sounding equipment, but not artificially so. I wouldn't call the K7 dark nor bright, but neutral and right where it needs to be. It has enough treble to be good with shredding guitar solos and high hats on rock, while having enough air for violins and stringed instruments.

The mids on the K7XX have that sightly dry and analytical texture to them, with great speed, detail and presence without sounding brash or shouty in the upper mids like the Q701 often did, especially with women vocalists, saxophones and trumpets. When underamped, the K7XX can sound withdrawn or hollow in the mids. I have no complaints about the mids and vocals. They are exactly where I want them, and they deliver that AKG house sound, while not needing to overboost the lower treble.

The bass on the K7XX is another one of its strong suits. The bass is some of the best resolving and extending, and tightest I have heard of any mid-fi dynamic headphone, and rivals if not beats most equivalent open backs. But this shouldn't be a surprise, as bass tightness and speed is a strong suit on contemporary AKGs when they are amplified right. Where the K7XX doesn't have the most emphasis in is the upper bass to the mid bass, where accentuations in these frequencies give the mids that bloomy, chesty, filled in sound (think Sennheiser HD650 or Shure SRH1540). The upper bass and mid bass, however, still hit and punch when they need to. Kick drums and stringed bass still have plenty of energy. The K7XX can make a great house music and trance headphone. The sub bass is a high point, with excellent low end energy and tightness. The K7XX doesn't have that annoying open back dynamic headphone tendency to dive off a cliff in the sub bass. The K7XX has a surprising amount of rumble to it. Due to its great low end extension, and tight, fast upper to mid bass without a bloat or bloom to slow it down, the K7XX makes a great Drum and Bass headphone.

Next up: amplification.

The K7XX like all other K7s is 62 ohms, with an impedance curve that stays astonishingly flat and steady throughout the entire audible sound spectrum, only increasingly slightly in the very upper treble. This is very unusual for a dynamic headphone, and it's something one only sees with planar magnetic headphones like the Hifiman HE400i, HE560, and the Audeze LCD series. This low impedance tends to mislead people to think that it's an easy to drive, efficient dynamic headphone, which it isn't. Many reviews I hear from people saying the K7 series has sibilant treble, hollow mids, and dull bass most often is a result of underamplifying the headphone, or running it on an amplifier that it doesn't like. The K7XX may be a steady 62 ohms of impedance, but it isn't very sensitive and is current hungry. It sounds best on a desktop mains-powered amplifier with a good quality sound card. There are claims that the K7s sound best on an all-solid state amplifier due to its steady power output and its more current output at lower ohms than all tube headphone amplifiers, but if the amp is good enough, the K7XX will sound great regardless of whether it is a tube or solid state amplifier.

My personal rig that I use the K7XX with is the Schiit Audio modi USB DAC, and the Lyr 2 hybrid tube and solid state headphone amplifier, which can output up to 6 watts of power at 32 ohms, with max power decreasing to 330 milliwatts at 600 ohms. It's a great amplifier with the K7XX, delivering tons of power when I need it, though in high gain mode with the stock 6BZ7 Canadian-made tubes becomes a little aggressive in the treble and upper mids. Other good headphone amplifier options include the solid state Burson Audio Conductor and Violectric HPA-V200, and the all-tube OTC Woo Audio WA6 (which according to fellow Head-Fi user Hifiguy528 does a great job driving K7-series models), WA6-SE and WA7 Fireflies. I do not recommend OTL amplifiers like the Schiit Audio Valhalla, Darkvoice 336SE, Bottlehead Crack, and Woo Audio WA3, as their high output impedance and lack of current at lower ohms will not play well with the K7XX. If you go the tube route, then make sure you either get an output transformer coupled (OTC) or hybrid model. Basically the more refined and powerful the amplifier, the more the K7XX will like it. On the cheaper end, the solid state JDS Labs Objective 2 and tube hybrid Schiit Audio Vali will both do an admirable job, with the Vali bringing a little more energy and excitement to the sound than the O2. The K7XX scales up noticeably with equipment, so it can remain a staple in one's headphone fleet, even with upgrades in equipment.

Oh, and as for burn in, the K7XX like most other K7's needs 200-300 hours of burn in before it sounds best. If you put it on right out of the box and start listening without any burn in you will be sorely disappointed. Before the 150 hour burn-in mark, the K7XX treble is sibilant, the mids are highly recessed, and the bass lacks weight. Put a good 100-150 hours of burn in on the K7XX before doing any sort of serious listening. After 250-300 hours or so the K7XX will really start to sound as it was intended to.

If you made it to the end of this odyssey-like review, I thank you for your time and patience. If desired, I will do a follow review comparing the K7XX to my Sennheiser HD650. Cheers.
      scrypt, Baycode, MrTechAgent and 15 others like this.
    2. musikaladin
      Great review indeed!
      musikaladin, Mar 23, 2015
    3. Soundsgoodtome
      Good review! Very detailed, although a bit winded about the lineage (which AKG owners would appreciate), and explains the frequencies quite well. I'm getting mine today and hopefully like them as much if not more than my 650s.
      Soundsgoodtome, May 4, 2015
    4. Share2Care
      That was most appreciated.

Thank you for an enjoyable and very informative review,

Tip top! :)
      Share2Care, Jan 23, 2017
  10. avitron142
    Giant Potential
    Written by avitron142
    Published Dec 22, 2014
    Pros - Great open sounding, Very decent soundstage, Natural sounding, warm, Immersive
    Cons - Needs perhaps a tad more control on the lower end, Picky with low-powered amplifiers, Build quality concerns.
    PreIntroduction:

I am in no way affiliated or work for AKG or Massdrop, and for this review, I did not receive this item as a review sample. I’m a 19 year old college student who likes his music pure, and would hope that in the future, teens could appreciate the audiophile community the same way I do. Enjoy!

Keep in mind that all the pictures, while looking small on the page, were taken by a mid-resolution camera. I just didn't want to clutter up the page with large pictures. So feel free to click on them to see them in full resolution throughout the review!

Introduction:

There have been (at least for a while) the “kings” of price per performance in the headphone market. Starting with the lowly mod-able Monoprice 8323, jumping up to the Audio Technica ATH-M50’s, and then the Sennheiser 600/650 to name but a few. People are always on the search for a new budget king, and that’s sort of why the Massdrop/AKG K7XX made such a stir. This may be fitting to go in the “king” category.

You see, AKG had quite a few headphones in the K7 family, including the K701, Q701, K702, K712, and K702 Anniversary edition. I can imagine someone new to this thinking-

“What does all of this mean? …I’m bad enough at spelling as it is, now I have to remember 5 similar-but-different names of headphones and their differences?!?”

Well, fear not. All you gotta know is that the last two I mentioned (which you don’t even have to remember their names) are/were about $450 in stores, maybe $400 if you get a deal. The K7XX (the headphone I’m reviewing) sells for $200 list price, and will probably stay that way.

Now, if price was an indicator, which it usually is, you would probably think that the K7XX is worse off than the $450 ones, right?

Wrong. Well, mostly, anyway.

From what I understand, the K7XX was a collaboration between AKG and Massdrop, an online community where people can participate in group buys, which usually means lower price. The new K7XX edition is an improvement on the $450 pair. Why is it so cheap? Because Massdrop got a quote for 2000 people willing to participate in the group buy, all within a span of 6 days.

If Massdrop could assure that 2000 people buy this product in a week, then AKG would be more than happy to lower the price to $200. The buyers win, because they get a quite superior headphone for a greatly reduced price. AKG wins, because they can sell thousands of headphone straight from the get-go. Massdrop wins, because whether or not they get a share of the earnings (which I have no idea if they do), Massdrop as a website gets a lot of publicity, and chances are if you buy something once from them, you’ll buy again.

What happened? Massdrop sold 2782 (if my memory serves correctly) pairs of the K7XX in a week. They reinstated the drop again another 2 times that I’ve seen, both selling in the hundreds. So everybody’s (or almost, anyway) been happy.

I’ll go through some of the major points, as well as some things you should be aware of. Enjoy!

Packaging:

Standard, looks nice. I’m not much of a believer in packaging to begin with, so here’s 2 pictures. Otherwise, we’re done.

DSCN4676.jpg DSCN4679.jpg

Build Quality:

DSCN4652.jpg

Overall, it’s quite good. The cups feel solid. However, from what I picked up here and there, the more expensive models it’s based on (the K702 Anniversary edition, and the K712) are better built. There’s been some talk of the earlier ones being built in Austria while these were built in China, but honestly, for all the hype that China-built stuff aren’t good, these are built quite well.

The K7XX is built quite interestingly, though. Instead of an extension in the headband that you could make longer/shorter based on your head height, these stretch to your head through some elastic string on each side (scroll a bit down to picture 1). While I’m comfortable with the elastics themselves (they seem sturdy enough), although I was afraid the tension will wear out after a year or two, the plastic piece connected to them had my full concern (picture 2). I thought they would snap, break, or a combination of the two well within two years. From the time I've had it though, everything works well, and my initial concerns were for naught. It is strong plastic though, so perhaps it's built to last.

However, from those who’ve had the earlier models (which operate the same way), it seems that my concern is only an initial reaction. They’ve said that the elastic/plastic pieces work well, and as a reminder, they’re backed by a two year warranty. So if you feel alarmed like me, relax a little. They’re most probably going to last.

Along the top are 2 separate things, interesting as well. There’s the leather headband (picture 4, second row), which is quite comfortable, and is what you rest your head on. The previous models had uncomfortable bumps on them, so the K7XX being “bump-free” is a relief to many familiar with the AKG family. On top of the headband, though, there’s two long plastic pieces running almost directly parallel to the leather headband. This is really hard to explain, so please look at picture 5 (second row) to see what I’m talking about.

Those two long plastic pieces thingamajigs are, to my understanding, what keeps the cups connected. So I was also initially concerned with those, as the plastic…doesn’t feel too sturdy at all. However, I am brand new to the AKG headphones, and if they did it well until now with previous models, who am I to judge? Just to be aware though, don’t treat this like a Lenovo Yoga Flex 2.

DSCN4668.jpg DSCN4669.jpg DSCN4653.jpg

DSCN4664.jpg DSCN4673.jpg

Cups and Pads/Cushions:

The cups are really nice, all black… they look SO much better than the Q701’s, which many are green, or the K702’s, which are white and black, or…

…This is a full-sized open back headphone, and you’re not going outside with these. This review is not for aesthetics, and it’s not going to be a decoration on the wall but on our ears. So, yes, it looks nice. All black, a step up color-wise from the other models in my opinion. But that’s it. I’m not spending 2 pages on comparing the color themes, for crying out loud.  DSCN4665.jpg

Cushions are very comfortable, reminds me of those memory foam pads. Big enough to cover most sized ears without a problem. In fact, these are huge to people who haven’t seen many full-sized headphones before. But that’s just the way these types of headphones are made.

There’s also a comfy inner cushion as well, directly covering the driver opening. So for those who feel that their ears are going to touch the inside of the cups, there’s padding for that as well. How considerate.

Both indicate they can be worn for hours without too much of a problem, although since the cups are so big you may have to readjust them on your head once in a while.

Ehm, I had a problem when I first got them, which was since these are so much bigger than my ear, in which position do the cups go over your ears… do you want the front of your ear touching the front part of the pad or the back of your ear touching the back part of the cushion? Although this sounds ridiculous, there is a different sound depending on which way you do it. I settled on pushing the cups forward, i.e. keeping my ear mostly towards the back part of the cup.

Awkward time over. Next section. [​IMG]

Here we go. This I’m familiar with.

First off, these headphones are quite lively. You can hear from the sound that they were meant for listening/relaxing, rather than mixing and studio purposes. Sounding very natural, which is a feat not all headphones can brag about, the K7XX in my honest opinion leave the “everything has to be exact and dry” category to enter the “be happy with me” one. While staying fairly accurate and natural, this pair knows how to twist the EQ here and there to make it sound impressive.

Lows/Bass: I’ve heard that people complained about the previous AKG models being “bass-lacking”, so AKG added a bit of a boost to this one. Nice and welcome, and doesn’t friggin’ take control of the frequency like those who say “oh, it’s not overpowering” and then they show you V-Moda’s. These are a part of the frequency, nothing more. You won’t feel like these have too much at all, while still staying prominent. They just have a slight boost. I am an anti-basshead as well, if there’s such a thing, so hopefully I can gain your trust with that.

While great in quantity, clarity, and size, to me they could have been a tad more controlled on the lower end. I did come from a closed back studio headphone, but even compared to many openback’s I have tried (Beyer T90, specifically) the bass seems a little “out there,” rather than controlled where you know when it begins and ends. The effect is one where it takes you into the music, rather than leaves you to dissect the sound. I think AKG may have done that purposefully, so that it can immerse you better, but more on that later.

Mids: Acoustics (guitar, cello, etc.) sound great and natural, although that should be a given based off the natural quality of these headphones. Vocals can be a bit tricky though. Either it’s my choice of amp (more on that later) or the headphones themselves, but unless the recording is mastered well (and not 3/4 of the pop songs out there), I’m personally left a little bit unsatisfied with the vocals. Even with well-recorded music and a good amp, the vocals don’t jump out at you. Or maybe my vocals aren’t that well recorded after all. Either way, if vocals are a big part of your music, brace yourself. It will show you the bad in those, if there are any. Any type of instrument sounds great with these though. Basically anything but vocals get a +1 from me.

Highs: Done quite well; I have no complaints about these. They still have that “snap” I’m so fond of, and quite a relief too. Drums sound better than I can ask for, although when mixing in with the type of bass the K7XX provides it perplexes me a bit.

Coloration: not much to say here, besides for that there’s really not much coloration going on here. Quantity differences, yes. Coloration, no.

Soundstage: Wide, oh wide. I mean height and depth too, not just wide. Big sound from a big headphone, although this is really famous with most of the AKG lineup. Definitely helps in terms of “getting into” the music. Very 3D-sounding, especially given the imaging. Natural + Soundstage = WIN in this case. Helps with the immersion factor tremendously (later section).

Imaging: Done well, although higher-end flagships may do it better. Nothing to complain about here.

Frequency Shape:  If I had to say, it would be slightly V-shaped, due to (what I think, anyway) a slightly boosted bass and treble. Not ATH-M50 V-shaped, only slightly.

Detail & Extension: Detail retrieval is as good as it needs to be, in my opinion. The bass is quite extended. However, the mids could use a bit more of detail, in my opinion. Studio headphones in particular are going to shine more in the detail department, but that doesn’t mean these are bad in any way.

Coherency and Flow: Very, very well done. AKG took a loud and big type of sound for the bass, a slightly smaller one for the mids, and a very precise sound for the highs, and made it all flow together. If all three parts of the frequency was like the lows, it would sound quite muddy. Everything like the mids, it would sound lacking. All like the Highs and there would be no way to immerse yourself in the music; it would be too techinical. AKG took all three and fused it into an interesting but enjoyable sound.

Immersion Factor: Crowning glory of this headphone, in my opinion. Technical details are really only there to help you hear what’s in your music, but we often forget about how enjoyable and immerse-able your headphones let your music become. The K7XX zones you in as if you’re at the center of the entire piece, which can only be done through all of the above.

Genres: EDM/Rave music, do not sound great with these, in my opinion. EDM thrives off of sharp and concise bass, and a natural sounding headphone won’t do much good for EDM either. Imagine a “natural” EDM instrument, if there was one. Blegh. Regular electronic sounds great though, but don’t expect this to be a dubstep headphone. Classical isn’t the shining glory with my amp right now, due to the amount of bass present in the setup. It still stays quite enjoyable though, even when not at it’s true best. Anything natural sounding (i.e. most instrumental music) and anything that thrives off a huge soundstage (psychedelic music, for example [Shpongle]) will sound really great.

I hate “fun” headphones. Like, really hate them. But sometimes studio headphones make your listening very dry and unlively. What AKG did well here is provide life to the music. I spent quite a few months before the K7XX with only a Studio headphone, and I have to say that the K7XX makes me much happier. Is it flat? No. Does it have a bit of extra bass? Yup. Is the frequency strung flat to the HD800’s? No. But if you’re ready to leave because it’s not as accurate as studio’s (and I don’t mean Beats), remember the LCD Flagship lineup. Are those LCD’s priced $1000-$2000 flat either? Not really. Also have a little boost in the lows, and some other frequency tweaks to my ear that make it sound more enjoyable.

For these reasons, I would say that the K7XX is an extremely immersive and enjoyable headphone. People who are looking for a high quality recording headphone should steer clear of this; it’s very likely to space out into the music instead of focusing on the recording itself. To say it in another way, these are more geared to a listener's perspective than a recorder's perspective. Their crowning ability in my opinion is how fast you can really "get lost" or space out with these headphones (they're great to relax). For a recorder, that may turn out to be harmful; you don't really want to space out when singing, you want to focus on what you have to do.

I would consider other high-reference/studio headphones as a 4k resolution screen, while the K7XX is IMAX at 1080p. Not everything is about the resolution; the type of screen makes a difference too.

And in this respect, AKG couldn’t have done better.

Amplification:

I really, really didn’t want to come to this section, because it’s so darn tricky. But here’s what I learned so far:

The K7XX are rated a 62 ohm headphone. 62 ohms aren’t usually enough to warrant a powerful amplifier, and most definitely doesn’t need one by any means. HOWEVER, akg’s K7 family are the quite opposite of that; they usually need quite a bit of power (and a good sounding amp, obviously) to sound good, more than the 300 ohm HD600’s from my understanding. I’ve tried the K7XX with a few low-mid tier amplifiers, and it friggin’ changes every time. Imagine how hard it is for me to do a review sound-wise when the EQ changes with every amp I own/have owned.

So if you think you can get away with this headphone without an amp, don’t. It absolutely needs one, I cannot stress this more. I’ve heard reviews saying that almost any good amp will do, and, to my understanding, that’s not entirely correct. Let me show you what I mean:

Nuforce Udac-2 dac/amp: Sounded pretty good for the first pairing, albeit not so “full” sounding. Vocals sounded awful, it was like the K7XX was a recording quality nazi.

Fiio E18: Colored, and awful sounding. On top of that, I always needed to push the volume up a little more, or else it sounded teeny. You know if you have to push the volume up that the headphone is not getting enough juice…

Schiit Magni 2 Uber: More than plenty of power, maybe almost a bit too much. Overall sound in the mids is too abrasive to my ears, and when the bass hits, it hurts my ears. Low gain was better, but still didn’t sound too great. Overall detail, clarity, etc. of the highs, mids, lows were slightly better than with the (next) Fiio E12.

Fiio E12: Finally, a good sounding pairing. The E12 is on the lower side of amps, though, so keep in mind that it will sound a bit more “warm” or “wet” than higher-end amps. Not colored in any way though, so that’s a plus.

Aune B1: For a standalone amplifier, the B1 sounds absolutely fantastic with the K7XX - smooth, very musical, and a real pleasure to listen to. Better than with the Fiio E12,, in my opinion, but both sound great, so don't "feel bad" if you don't have the money to buy the B1.

Heir Audio Rendition 1 Amplifier: A big name for a decent amplifier; while a mid-tier amp, and really great with all lower impedance headphones I’ve tried (Bang & Olufsen H6, KRK KNS8400), I’m basically getting a smaller version of the problem that the Fiio E18 had. I’m not feeling that the Rendition 1 is giving a full sound, although it’s possible that’s coming from the fact a just left a quite warm amplifier for a colder one. I hear all the details and clarity a mid-tier amp should, still, it leaves the K7XX underpowered. It becomes a little fatiguing as well.

CEntrance DACport Slim: This is the pairing that you should get if you're on a budget. The Slim is a DAC/amp all in one, and is quite small too. It was actually made with the K7XX in mind, so it's no wonder they work really great together. This pairing will get a good 90% (just to throw out a number) of what you'll hear from this headphone, and it's a beautifully sounding pair. I highly recommend this  pairing - especially since as DAC/amp's go, $100 is really not asking for much, much less for a powerful, good sounding piece of equipment.

Grace/Massdrop m9XX: I don't think anyone who has some vague form of a budget will actually be buying the m9XX, but I'd like to say that the K7XX scales very, very well with higher-end equipment such as the m9XX. In fact, with this DAC/amp (m9XX), it sounds like something double its actual cost - knocking out the HD600 and HD650, in my opinion.

…So, what you can hopefully take from this is that the K7XX, to me, can get quite picky. It may be why my vocal collection is getting different impressions from me as I move along. The CEntrance DACport Slim is the best budget-oriented choice to pair the K7XX with, but the Magni 2 is definitely not. Keep in mind you must have an amp to make the ‘phones sound their potential, and that these will scale wonderfully with higher tier amps. Basically, when moving up, you’ll really only need to replace the amp and/or source player, not the K7XX; the mark of a truly good headphone.

Price & Value:

As other reviews have said, for $200 there’s nothing like it. The soundstage, 3d presentation, and immersion factor coupled with quite impressive sound totally destroys most headphones in its price range. Ath-M50X? Not even close. I don’t know any closed-back headphones across the price spectrum that has presentation like this one. One head-fi’er told me during a meet that after this, it starts getting into the law of diminishing returns, so here’s a great place to start – and end, if you’re on a budget.

Now, the Sennheiser HD600’s can be had for ~$275 slightly used throughout the year, and $260 on black Friday. To me, they are both budget kings though. The HD600’s excel at a more balanced sound, and are great for recording purposes. The new K7XX is fabulous at listening to music to enjoy it, and immerses you like a boss. So I can’t say that one is better than the other, rather they are two very different types of headphones to be used for different purposes.

Conclusion:

Giant killers? Maybe. Either way, you won’t find out unless you find at least a good amp that pumps out a decent amount of power. For beginners, this is the one headphone you’ll be satisfied with in this price range, just watch out for the cost that amplifiers can cost you, and stick to the ones known well to work with it. The E12 is a great beginner option, but you will have to shell out ~$100 for that – not really great for people on a budget. The DACport Slim is the same price, but is a DAC as well, so it justifies the cost just a bit. Keep in mind though that it’s a completely different beast than probably any closed back headphone you’ve worn until now. Feed it right, and it can be a monster.

For the people familiar with headphones, I can’t bring frequency charts like other reviews do, but to my ear it can be a giant killer, with the right equipment. It won’t be to the same level that the HD800’s are, or the HE1000. But sub-$1000 it provides plenty of competition, and wins most of them, to me. Keep in mind the ear I’m using is the same one that was used in a blindfolded test of mid-high tier headphones for a bet with a friend, as well as during the HE1000 impressions, so you might want to trust me a bit beyond my age. Either way, though, expect to feed this well, and for the amplifier to be lagging behind the headphones for a while. Keep in mind the reminders on the build quality, although most say they shouldn’t be a problem. This isn’t a “basshead” headphone, although it is a bit bass-prominent, which may leave you with mixed feeling for your classical collection. Try to couple it with a bass-light amp, if you have one. Either way, it provides a really interesting sound that’s hard to miss; enjoyable, huge, and very immersive.

Quick Summary/Short Version:

1. These headphones are HUGE. To new users of open-backs.

2. That said, it provides amazing soundstage/imaging, and are very comfortable. Headband has no bumps, and earpads are of memory foam.

3. Very decent amount of detail. The extension is okay, while still decent; I don't feel it to be lacking.

4. Very natural sounding, so for anything that was quickly digitalized and/or vocals that weren't recorded perfectly, you WILL hear it with some amps. The upside and downside of any real decent headphone.

5. YOU NEED a great amp for these to sound their full potential. Since I upgraded to the Fiio E12, the pairing was good, although limited by the E12… These headphones scale with the amp you use.

6. Highs are great, still natural sounding, so maybe it doesn't have that snap drums have with studio headphones; it's more of a satisfying "thump". Precision is accurate, detail is great, and for an very open headphone, you can't ask for anything more.

7. Mids/Vocals sound freakishly natural, so any pop artists that use only "okay" recording equipment won't sound amazing with certain amps. These headphones will only sound as good as the recording, as any should. Not very forgiving.

8. The bass boost is very welcome and heard, but not overpowering. Could be a bit more controlled in my opinion, but maybe I'll change my mind after a few days with these. Edit: after a while, I feel that the bass, while not as controlled as some studio headphones, are there to suck you into the music, and suck you in it does.

9. It's interesting to have a bass boost in a natural and neutral headphone like these, but it surprisingly all fits together.

10. No rattling in mine, and everything sounds great.

11. I have not seen a more decent $200 headphone, and that is saying a lot. This to me is -by far- the best headphone in its price range - the HD600's was for years, but now this a cheaper, different, and more unique option. For every the criticism's in this review, there's another 3 positives with this new, affordable, and incredible sounding headphones.

12. These headphone make the music blend in together, while the instruments stay separate. Studio headphones - these are not, but reference they are and make a very good casual listening headphone too. Again, I don't like coloration, but even though these aren't studio 'phones, they are very natural in their presentation.

13. EDM/Dubstep will almost never sound great on a open natural-sounding headphone, and these are no exception. You probably want this if you have a lot of instrumental music, vocals that you can swear by that they had good recording equipment, and even electronic music that has no dubstep/scratching.

14. The Piano Guys, Lindsey Stirling, and most of OCRemix's albums (especially Deus Ex Augmentation) really shine with these.

15. Thank you to 1bentley4ever for catching the upper treble spike. It gives the impression of a more sharp headphone, while retaining bass. I wouldn't say these are U-shaped, but they seem to have a very slight V-shape sound.

16. These headphones are great! I don't feel a need to upgrade anymore, although I wish picking an amp for this beast would be an easier matter...

Hope you enjoyed! Suggestions/criticisms are welcome.

EDIT: Head-fi didn't really let me scratch my old first impressions and post this new review, so I had to "edit" my previous impressions and use the same post date.... Post date for the review is 5/17/2015. Thank you!

Other picture(s):

DSCN4686.jpg DSCN4672.jpg

DSCN4674.jpg DSCN4675.jpg

iano, stevesurf, DVDIT and 6 others like this.
    2. Topazus
      Are the cups bigger than DT880/990 cups? I want more space for my ears, both depth and diameter. Are these gonna do it?
      Topazus, Jul 19, 2015
    3. avitron142
      @Topazus It's been a while since I've tried the Beyer's, so I can't say for sure, but if I remember right the cups on the K7XX are a tad bigger. I would get a second opinion on that though, it's a great question.
      avitron142, Jul 19, 2015
    4. Vincent Vong
      Thanks for this ya legend!
      Vincent Vong, Jun 22, 2016