AKG K7XX

K7xx a meh headphone
    Written by Ian Hickler
    Published Apr 20, 2018
    2.0/5,
    Pros - Wide soundstage
    Cons - Sound is all messed up
    Honestly bass is bloated, mids are meh, treble is hard around 4khz. Just why? Soundstage is wide though and comfort is amazing! Now just the drivers! I am sad that they sound so bad. I wish they could just fix that and make the earpads just a little bit more comfortable they would be perfect
  2. Raymond Zhang
    Not bad, but overpriced for what it offers
    Written by Raymond Zhang
    Published Jul 10, 2017
    3.0/5,
    Pros - Light and comfortable, decent clarity
    Cons - Very "V" shaped, bass leaks into the mids, highs can be piercing at times
    The AKG K7XX's are very popular in this community, and while I can see why, I'm personally not a fan. (Pls no haterinos, it's just a personal opinion)

Packaging: eh/10
    As the K7XX's are a Massdrop exclusive, designed to be sold at a lower price, the packaging was nothing special. The headphones came in a simple "presentation" box with one cable. No other accessories were included, again understandable, but still a bit troublesome. A shorter cable would have been greatly appreciated, as the one included with the headphones is around 8 feet long (and a proprietary plug, GDI AKG).​

Comfort: 9/10
    To me, one of the strongest parts of these headphones lies in its comfortableness. It's very light, there's just the right amount of pressure to keep the headphones in place yet avoid squishing your brain, and the adjustment will work for all but the most extreme head shapes and sizes. The ear pads are a kind of memory foam, velour covered type thing, which are a bit thin, but no big deal.​

The covering on the inside of the ear cups (driver covers?) are made of a rougher woven polyester type thing; the tips of your ears will almost certainly be resting against this. Again, less comfortable than it could be, but not a big deal, and won't be a problem unless you're constantly shifting the headphones and rubbing against it. It would have been nice to have spare ear pads, but again, it's not to be expected.​

As the K7XX is open backed, your ears more than likely won't get sweaty as they would with closed back headphones, again enabling hours of use at a time.​

The build quality isn't bad, but it does look a little bit fragile. Mine have yet to break, but I'd certainly try to avoid sitting on them or placing things on top. Those two guide rails on top look problematically thin if you were to place something on top by accident.​

Sound: 5/10
    In my opinion, this is where the K7XXs really struggle, or at least differ from my own tastes. And no matter your taste in headphone sounds, these are definitely not "Reference Headphones" like they're marked. Apologies ahead of time for my lack of terminology.

Bass on these headphones is honestly most of the problem for me. While they're strong and clearly emphasized, they seem to be boosted in the wrong way. Individual bass beats are muddy and lack the punchiness that I look for.

Mids seem almost recessed, like if the singer were standing behind all the instruments, creating the illusion of a V shaped curve. Additionally, parts of the bass leak into the mid section, making the whole thing sound rather "muddy", and taking away from the clarity that would otherwise be exceptional for a $200 pair of cans. Guitar and other string instruments tend to sound recessed as well. Male voices sound much stronger than female voices, which I suspect is a result of the V shape sound curve (? is that even the right term?)

Treble is like the bass, almost artificially enhanced. It can be too piercing at times and makes long term listening tiresome, despite the headphone's exceptional comfort. What really annoys me, however, is how drastic and obvious this change is. You can distinctly hear the change from when a singer, especially female, goes from a lower note to a higher one. On a good note however, the highs are very detailed.

Overall, the very drastic way that the sound was boosted on the low and high ends creates this overwhelming sensation of unevenness in the music. These should not be used as
    Miscellaneous thoughts:
    These are actually great for gaming. The soundstage, while not exceptional, does offer very pretty good separation. Forward highs will make gunshots and other sound effects stand out while the slightly muffled bass will make explosions sound slightly less piercing. You might have a bit more trouble hearing gunshots due to recessed mids, but at least these headphones are detailed. No microphone on the cable or headphones means you have to figure that out yourself though.

Massdrop shipping times are annoying AF, but maybe I've just been spoiled by Amazon Prime. Their no returns policy is especially bad though.

Being open-backed provides these headphones major advantages in comfort (and some say soundstage, though I personally don't hear it). However, it also means that sound isolation will be abysmal. The K7XXs are for use in a quiet room or at home alone. You will hear everything happening around you unless you turn the volume way up, but then the people around you will hear everything you're listening to.

In my opinion, for $200, there are better options out there, unless you're specifically looking for open backed headphones, or if this V shaped sound signature particularly appeals to you. I'd personally pay no more than $150 for these. Remember to do your research beforehand no matter what you decide to buy, and if possible, try out a pair first!

1. David_sandela
      Can you suggest me some list of other in the same price range and sounds better than these cans?
      David_sandela, Feb 9, 2018
      FKSSR likes this.
  3. Hunki Chunki
    Just a wonderful, comfortable, all day headphones
    Written by Hunki Chunki
    Published Nov 6, 2016
    Pros - Nice balanced sound, super comfortable and BIG earpads
    Cons - Bass could do with a little help. Needs an amp to show its true potential
    Got this as a "replacement" for my K501s, has that same-ish AKG sound to it, comfortable all day listening headphones.

The earpads on these are superior to the old 501s, very big and comfortable.

Bass is a subdued, but its there in a very refined lowkey manner.

There is a big noticeable difference when this headphone is amped, a wonderful... addictive difference =)
  4. UnderScore96
    Neutral when it needs to be, a bit of kick when you want it.
    Written by UnderScore96
    Published Mar 16, 2016
    Pros - Sound quality, very analytical, slight bass kick, very open.
    Cons - Almost too neutral, not "fun", build quality not the greatest.
    The K7XX is a set of cans that has earned some extremely high praise since its burst onto the audiophile scene roughly a year ago through group buy vendor Massdrop. Some of which is deserved, some... not so much. The headphones are essentially a rebranding of the extremely popular K702, with a slightly enhanced bass response to appeal to the beginner audiophile (people like myself).

The built quality of the K7XX is adequate, its construction mainly consists of plastic, with a genuine leather headband which is adjustable via elastic tethers. Personally I'm not a fan of the elastic as all elastics that I've encountered, especially ones that are constantly stressed when in use, tend to wear down fairly quickly. The general build quality is not quite up to par with direct competitors like the DT880, with its metal adjustment arms and foam/leather headbands. That being said, I've had these for a year now with very common use and the plastic and elastic has shown no sign of degradation. In fact, while almost the entire construction is plastic, they honestly don't feel like they're going to fall apart any time soon.

The comfort that comes from the attractive design and enormous ear cups is second to none. If you're the type of person that is easily distracted by contact with the drivers or ear pads of your headphones, you'll have no problems at all with these guys. Speaking of which, the memory foam ear pads that AKG have chosen to use is delightful. Personally, I would've preferred a soft plushy foam, such as that used in mid-to-high-end Beyers, but these do very well in their own respect.

What really matters is: how do they sound? Well, if you're on the market for an almost-neutral set of headphones, but don't want to lose too much of that bass you've grown to love, look no further than the K7XX. Now, keep in mind, these are definitely not a bass-lover's headphones. If your music collection consists of a lot of EDM, rock, or other bass-heavy genres, you may want to look elsewhere. Personally, I listen to mostly rock and psychedelia and have these on rotation with Beyerdynamic DT990s, and I vastly prefer the listening experience obtained with the latter. This is just my personal taste and I still have great respect for the analytical signature of the AKGs.
  5. wontonotnow
    awesome potential, great design
    Written by wontonotnow
    Published Jul 20, 2015
    Pros - comfort, large (LARGE) soundstage, unbelievable price
    Cons - as with any open-back, lots of leakage from both ends. best used in quiet home environment. You can't take these travelling unless you're crazy.
    I did have to get a replacement because the original set's left channel stopped working after a month or so, but massdrop was very accommodating/helpful and i got a new setup within a month. Amp not really necessary but i recommend it because these enjoy the extra juice and are best-of-class for the pricepoint.  They are large,classy and will blow you away unless you have a grand or more to step up to end-game.
  6. Sam-Fi
    equal to k712 in all but price
    Written by Sam-Fi
    Published Jun 4, 2017
    Pros - treble presentation, image, detail, vivid from the mids to the upper mids, price to performance ratio, studio monitoring
    Cons - bass presentation requires your ears adjusting a little, can be a little dry sounding, revealing of record quality
    The 7xx is going to be one of my main stays that I keep around in case I need to adjust my ears back to a neutral sound, yes, kings of neutrality these phones hold nothing back about a recording, the detail retrieval is pretty stellar with good sourcing and amplification, slightly forward presentation but neutral and laid-back especially above the upper mids.
    These don't have a lot of drawbacks aside from some crispness that can show itself on certain tracks but for the most part it is a phone that stays true to the source so it is recording dependent when that flaw can show itself.

Those that have blasted far off into summit fi land should come back and listen to some Yamaha HS80s or these AKG k712/7xx they seem to nail timbre and neutrality in such a way fancy colored gear cannot, sure you can listen how you like but listening to gear that helps clue you in to the studio mixing and where the rubber meets the road as far as music is made really helps you appreciate recording quality and musicianship. So no matter if you are new to audio or have an endgame setup, these phones are not hard to drive, they take to punchier amps better but are nice with sweet tubes, give them another listen. They are sweet little studio music machines.
      trellus likes this.
  7. swspiers
    Okay for what they are, not at all what I like.
    Written by swspiers
    Published Mar 27, 2016
    3.0/5,
    Pros - Solid build, price, not fatiguing at all, pretty comfortable
    Cons - Unnatural soundstage, muddy bass, no "impact"
    AKG K7XX
    As should be obvious, I’m not a professional reviewer. Heck, I’m not even a frequent reviewer. But every now and then, I do get a desire to throw my $.02 in an interesting headphone or other piece of equipment. In this case it is the AKG K7XX, straight from Massdrop.

One of the things that keeps me in this hobby, is I just love headphones. I am always seduced by the magic that emits from the transducer. I am also entranced at the thought of the miniature room sitting on top of, or near, my ears. Every experience is different and every headphone seems to carve out its own particular niche.

These headphones have garnered enough attention that I couldn’t resist the most recent drop. I’ve read glowing reviews, with one member who I really respect, referring to them as giant killers. Really? For $199? I just had to try them, especially since for the past 4 years I’ve mostly been listening to planars from Hifiman and Mr. Speakers.

Before you read on, I will state right out the gate that rarely have I heard a headphone that I disliked so intensely from the first few minutes I wore them. In fact, my initial review was written with a one star in mind. That’s just how much I do not like what they do, although I can certainly understand why some people think this is one of the greatest bargains in headphones today. But at this moment, I have to be “that” guy who really dislikes something that’s almost universally loved. Let me explain…

BASS
    A lot of people believe the bass is one of the most important aspects of a headphone. I totally agree with this, but for me it’s a matter of quality and not quantity. I have to admit; the 3 dB bump that AKG claims is compelling. It is there, and it’s rather tastefully done. But unlike other commentators on these headphones, I find that it does come at the expense of macro and micro detail.

And this is the thing that really bugs me about these headphones. A slight bass boost is always a nice thing, except when it interferes with the overall presentation. Especially when it comes to percussion. There’s something about the bass on these headphones that “veils” the kick drum on a lot of the material I love to listen to. These headphones just don’t have the visceral impact I value so much in a speaker or set of headphones. Now, Grado’s are not known for their bass, but the presentation of the bass guitar or a kick drum on my Grado SR-225i’s (with tape modification) is very distinct and clear. But the K7XX’s just don’t present those instruments as clearly and distinctly as I want.

MIDRANGE
    I have very little to complain about regarding midrange overall. But that pesky bass boost gives a bit of chestiness, for lack of a better word, for vocals – especially male. Even female vocals are affected somewhat, though not nearly as much. It’s as far from “natural” as I have heard in the past couple of years.

However, the presentation of electric guitar, keyboards, and even stringed instruments is pretty good. In fact, they’re a bit above average. What is most impressive is the lack of distortion. Once material gets dense and complicated though, the mids tend to lack clarity and definition.

Going back to drums and percussion, they have very little impact. I don’t get the sense of “smack” when the stick hits the drum. For most people this might not be a big deal, but for this guy, it’s maddening not to hear that or sense that. For dynamic headphones, these just don’t seem very dynamic to me.

TREBLE
    For the most part, this is their strongest presentation in the audible range. Virtually no sibilance that I could detect, regardless of material. Really good detail retrieval in the upper range as well. Most importantly, these are extremely non-fatiguing headphones. Their treble presentation makes them very easy to listen to, for extended periods of time. If you love how they sound overall, this is awesome.

IMAGE/SOUNDSTAGE/DEPTH
    Okay, here’s the part where I expect a number of people to totally dismiss this review and move on to something else. By far, the strongest aspect of these headphones is their soundstage. It is wide, and under the right circumstances, they are impressive. My problem with it is it seems unnaturally so. Yes, this is because I listen to a lot of Grado and other headphones that have a more limited soundstage.

But it’s also because the depth of the soundstage is very, very shallow to me. It’s wide, and I can hear where that is fun. But it’s at the expense of imaging. By that I mean vocals seem out of proportion and larger to me than I usually experience with my other headphones. This is where I have a problem with their imaging in my head. Which reminds me, these headphones are more “inside my head” than any other set of headphones that I own. I experience no illusion that anything is in front of me. It’s all right between my ears, which when I wear them, is about 10 feet wide.

ON THE OTHER HAND
    By now, it is probably clear that the AKG-K7XX headphones are far from my favorite headphones. In fact, up to this point, they are by far my least favorite that I have heard to date. I posted some impressions on the K7XX thread, and got a few suggestions for trying them under different circumstances. But it didn’t matter what the source was, didn’t matter what the amplifier was, and it didn’t matter what I was listening to. I just don’t like these headphones.

Then, I decided to watch some older episodes of “The Walking Dead”. My girlfriend is not fond of the show, so I watch it pretty much alone. Which means, I use headphones- usually the Alpha Primes from Mr. Speakers. But this time, I decided to give these a chance through my receiver, a rather average Marantz SR-7008, not a receiver generally regarded as a great headphone amp.
    It was like a revelation. Almost every single objection I had up to this point regarding these headphones disappeared, and I enjoyed television on headphones like I have rarely done before. The soundstage was wonderful and everything is perfectly placed, from the birds in the background, to the zombies eating flesh in the middle. They came across is dynamic, impactful, fun, and a much better headphone for this purpose. I thought for sure I would keep them…

IN THE END
    To sum it up, I was initially quite disappointed in these headphones. Music just came across as flat. Even the wide soundstage seemed to lack depth or excitement. I couldn’t enjoy any music on them at all, no matter what source or amp I used. I wrote in another tread that I can see why people love these so much: I just don’t hear it.
    However, when I used them for movies/TV, the whole thing flipped for me. I’m glad I kept trying with these, because I would have missed out on an experience that I found enjoyable and in many ways, practical.
    Overall, I have to rate these as a marginal “3”. They are worth the money if one favors their signature, have no apparent quality issues, and fit a very specific want of mine. But not a need. Gamers, video enthusiasts, and soundstage fans might indeed find these to be the deal of the decade. For me, they’re just a set of headphones that do one thing that I value very well. The rest- they’re okay.

TEST TRACKS
    Cowboy Junkies- Crescent Moon, Mining for Gold, Misguided Angel
    King Crimson- Indiscipline, Asbury Park (live)
    Black Sabbath- Into the Void

8. MDKrinkles
    absolutely incredible
    Written by MDKrinkles
    Published Dec 19, 2015
    Pros - cloud pillows, very open sound, amazing separation, great highs and mids
    Cons - bass could be better but that'd be nitpicking
    First off, this is my first real pair of "audiophile" headphones. After about of year of research I came upon massdrop and these beauties, all black, Austrian design, and legacy of great open backs to back it up, for only 200$! I can very much get behind this. Although I was disappointed to hear that it was being produced in china instead of glorious Austria, the pros to this over the k712 and the k702 seemed pretty great. The new headband, the slightly altered drivers, etc. It all seemed like a great deal, so I went with it, and boy oh boy was it the right choice. These cans are amazing. First off is the comfort. It uses the elastics attached to the headband to make it seem weightless on your head, that coupled with the memory foam velour ear pads make these incredibly comfortable. Alright onto the sound!

Serj tankian "fish don't scream"
    This song is kind of my standard for bass because its very well recorded and starts out with a bass intro, the bass sounded clear and loud but not overpowering or boomy like some bass head cans, I personally love the bass on these but they definitely aren't for people looking for a strong or imposing bass. Other than that the other instruments sounded great, the piano was clear and sounded similar to being in a room with a piano, I think what I found with these headphones is everything sounded exactly as it should.

SOAD......all of it..........I tend to really like this band
    The first thing I noticed was the guitar sound, I could hear not only the sound of the guitar coming through the amp but also the sound of the guitar being played, strings being pressed against frets, picks strumming the strings, similar to how being in a room with a guitarist would sound. The drums had a nice oomph to them which was great, it reminded me of the drum sound I got when listening to a large speaker system rather than a pair of headphones. Its really a great sounding pair of headphones. The bass on tracks like Mr. Jack sounded clear and precise whereas on tracks like Streamline the bass sounded heavy and distorted giving each track its own unique tone instead of muddying all bass tones together.

Infected mushroom "friends on mushrooms"
    I actually really like these headphones for infected mushroom because they make it easier to differentiate live bass from synth bass, one of the pros of EDM is if the track is programmed to sound open it will sound very open with these headphones. A lot of these tracks take advantage of the large soundstage these headphones have. These headphones definitely weren't designed with EDM as an intention but they do a good job so bravo to AKG

Miles Davis "kind of blue"
    Bass sounds incredible, especially for something recorded decades ago. You can hear the bass throughout the track even as more instruments are layered on. Although it doesn't sound quite as clear and precise as Serj tankians "Jazziz Christ" I believe that has more to do with 60 years in technological advancements in recording equipment. The brass sounded wonderful and yet again just reminds me of being in a room with the instrument, a very large, open, room. I've listened to lots of closed backs and something about these headphones is different, it feels a lot closer to listening through a large speaker set in a big open room and less like listening to a pair of headphones, yet at the same time it gives the very immersive feeling of listening through headphones.

Jaco Pastorius
    Just bass and piano galore, the harmonics sound incredible and the piano is beautiful and clear.

Lara Ruggles "snowflake"
    Now I admit, I only have this track because it came with my DAP (sony NWZA17, wow they have got to come up with easier names), however, after listening to the track many times I'm probably going to end up getting the full album. The piano is perfect, it is absolutely perfect. Crystal clear, amazing sound, it's just beautiful. The vocals rang, there was power in her voice, you could hear all the slight nuances and subtleties that go with each individuals unique voice.

Okay I've rambled enough and I'm running out of adjectives in my active vocabulary to describe sound so I'm gonna end it here. These are absolutely fantastic headphones, I love the sound signature and the huge soundstage, these are super open and just sound beautiful with whatever you listen to (note: bad source=bad sound, you put good in, you get good out, I wouldn't recommend any sound files below 320Kbps, and I also wouldn't recommend generally poorly recorded albums, so maybe old punk fans wouldn't like it, it catches all the imperfections so just beware). I love these headphones and can't get enough of them, I've even been sleeping with them on sometimes (I guess thats a statement to their comfort). They're just amazing and for 200$ I cannot emphasize enough how much of a must buy they are.
      trellus likes this.
    1. capnjack
      Nice review, I have to say that they sound very much like my k702s that I got about 2 months ago for £125.
      capnjack, Dec 19, 2015
    2. piaudio
      @capnjack, wow that even cheaper than I found on other UK shops, where did you find the £125?
      piaudio, Dec 19, 2015
    3. capnjack
      Hi @piaudio, Scan.co.uk they're selling them for £127 at the moment or £107 for "Grade B" refurbished!
      capnjack, Dec 19, 2015
  9. BucketInABucket
    Bang goes the buck!
    Written by BucketInABucket
    Published Aug 15, 2015
    Pros - Awesome value for money, very comfortable design, natural sounding with much better treble than other AKG K7-series offering
    Cons - Lack of accessories, plasticy build, possible issues with headband elastic, no balanced option

==Introduction==

[​IMG]

I would like to thank the Head-Fi Massdrop staff and AKG for producing such a good pair of headphones. This pair has honestly been one of the best cures for upgrade-itis I have had in a long while and I think that it will be a nice ending to the long story of the AKG K7-series driver as I think AKG decided to do this because the driver is nearing the end of its life cycle.

This review should of course be taken as a grain of salt as it is my opinion and only my opinion. I have past experience with quite a few cans and IEMs before. I personally own or have owned these cans and IEMs (to the best of my knowledge):

1. Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
    8. Monster Turbine Pro Gold
    9. ADL EH-008
    10. Koss Sportapro
    11. Other odd vintage cans

As for the backstory behind these cans, I bought the AKG K7xx when I read the description for the drop for it on Massdrop.com touting these pair of cans to basically be a warmer, bassier AKG K702 Annie back around November. As I have already tried various AKG cans in the past and disliked many of them because of the lack of bass, the overly bright tilt and the oh-so-dreadful headband bumps that most of the mid-tier AKG cans seem to possess, I thought to myself that this would be just the ticket to satisfy my desires and jumped right onto the drop, to the displeasure of my wallet and the absolute joy of my ears.

==Aesthetics==

Packaging and Accessories

[​IMG]These headphones arrived much later in typical Massdrop fashion in a rather typical box with all the usual labelling on it advertising these cans.  (As most people say, you forget that you’ve bought something on Massdrop and then whatever you’ve bought comes as a pleasant surprise much later!) The packaging these headphones come in is, for lack of a better word, minimal – just enough to keep them safe and make them look pretty but nothing else. When I opened it to have a look, the cans seemed to be quite lonely as it comes with absolutely no accessories to accompany it, apart from a ¼-inch adapter. Well, I suppose that means that my attention will be focused on the cans, it seems. I just wish they came with a carrying case.

Design and Build

The AKG K7xx Massdrop 1st Edition is a pair of open-backed headphones co-designed by Massdrop and AKG and are the first batch of a limited run of 6000 headphones. For a pair of $200 headphones, they have a fairly typical build for this price point and are mainly made out of plastic with a bit of metal and real leather used for the headband. They obviously won’t survive a direct hit from a nuclear strike but they should last fairly long under daily use. Plastic obviously means that they feel slightly cheaper but this also contributes to its very light 235 grams of mass which is very good comfort-wise (as I will mention later).

[​IMG]
    They have a really cool stealth black colour scheme which deserves props to AKG for completing the cycle of colour schemes they used starting with white for the original AKG K701 and ending with black for this pair of cans. They have a single-entry configuration for its 3m rubber-coated cable which, while nothing special, does the job with fine fashion. One end is terminated in a 3.5mm jack which accepts a 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter provided by AKG and the other end is terminated with a 3-pin mini-XLR jack. Left and right sides are labelled on the outside of the headband and is fairly easily located. The ear-cups are free to swivel a small amount in any direction but do not fold flat as they are designed for desktop listening.

Comfort and Isolation

Firstly, these are open-backed headphones. Therefore, isolation is irrelevant in this review as they let in almost any background sound and thus isn’t fair to properly judge. However, I do have to say that the leakage from this pair of cans is surprisingly minimal considering its nature and I do have to say that I’m impressed.

[​IMG]
    Comfort, on the other hand, gets a very big thumbs up for me because I tend to be fairly picky when it comes to this. The pads, while not being the deepest, are adequate enough for my ears to nestle in the cups for a few hours without any issues.

The only gripe I have with them is how the tips of my ears touch the inside and how this causes some pain after a few hours, but by then I should be taking a break anyways so this is a fairly minor issue. The headband, like I mentioned previously, is made of real leather, which is a nice touch. The main plus for me, however, is the fact that they have none of the atrociously painful headband bumps that early AKG K7-series headphones had which means that the headband rests comfortably on my head. Clamp is also fairly minimal, being just enough to keep these on my head as long as I don’t start headbanging but not nearly enough to hurt the area around my ears.

The only other issue I have is with the elastic headband suspension system. It’s been fine for the few months I’ve been using this pair of headphones but I’m somewhat worried that they’ll lose elasticity over the years (especially since there have been reports of this happening with other AKG cans) but this also means that the entire system is self-adjusting, which is perfect for my OCD self as I just have to put them on without worrying about setting the headband to be exactly this much distance apart.

==Sound==

Equipment and Burn-in

The equipment I used was: Windows laptop (running Foobar 2000) > AMB Gamma2 > Headamp Gilmore Lite V2, with no EQ used. These headphones have at least a few months of usage and I haven't detected (or don’t remember) any change within the first 100 hours or so of using them. However, I did not burn them in at all and  instead used them straight out of the box.

Bass

As this is an open-backed headphone, extension will of course not be as great as a closed-back headphone. However I was pleasantly surprised to hear that these reach surprisingly low with good clarity and texture. There isn’t the biggest amount of bass, but it’s definitely enough for every genre of music I listen to. It’s punchy and quick when it needs to be and never overwhelms the sound signature.

When it comes to orchestral pieces, sub bass is extremely important for reproducing the feel of the piece. I’m happy to say that this pair of cans have enough to make for an enjoyable listening experience. Compared to the HD650, the bass is far quicker and actually works for electronic music unlike the HD650.

Midrange

The mid-range of these headphones take center stage here. It’s very clear and natural-sounding but also a little warm to give vocals and instruments a little extra oomph to make them sound majestic and lively, unlike most AKG cans in this price range. There isn’t a music piece I’ve listened to that sounds artificial or unnatural with these headphones so far, which greatly impresses me as many other headphones I’ve listened to simply don’t work with specific genres. Everything is articulate and very well-defined and is most similar to a window into the recording. It’s not overly lush and rich but not overly thin and cold either and even subtle distortions in the music can be heard as a result of mastering errors.

Treble

This treble can best be described as neutral to slightly bright, like a cool sip of water in a summer’s day. It’s very well-extended, precise and linear with some subtle lower-treble emphasis which is fairly typical of an AKG can. However, this emphasis is far less pronounced than most other AKG cans and for that I am grateful as I am sensitive to nasty treble spikes. It’s also very resolving, able to pick up a lot of detail in recordings and can be described as rather crisp and clear. However, despite the focus on detail of these headphones, the treble never gets too bright as long as the recording is good quality.

Soundstage/Presentation

Here we go, the famous AKG soundstage that the company’s headphones are known for having. As expected, the AKG K7xx does not disappoint, offering a spacious, wide, high and deep soundstage with excellent positioning and clarity. Every instrument has its own place and the soundstage is so realistic that oftentimes I will think that a sound in the music came from real life – trust me, it’s a confusing feeling when this happens and it’s a good thing!

The overall sound signature of the K7xx is very natural and lifelike. The frequency response for the most part seems to be fairly neutral and most importantly, natural. This pair of cans especially excels with live recordings but can handle most any genre you throw at it and brings the focus of the listener, not the sound signature of the AKG K7xx like some headphones do. Timbre and tonal balance is both excellent and overall these pair of cans seem to be somewhat like a pair of speakers. This also means that they are not forgiving of poor-quality source files which can be a good or bad thing depending on your choice of music.

Update: The Bass Port Mod

After doing the fairly simplistic bass port mod (the details of which are detailed here), the bass quantity improved by a noticeable amount without bleeding into the mids. They're now an excellent pair of cans for even those genres which require a heavy-handed approach to the bass section while still being great at what they were originally good at. Anyways, I like these cans even more now, but keep in mind that the mod is not for everyone, especially not for those who prefer a linear bass section.

==Conclusion==

[​IMG]

The AKG K7xx is probably the best $200 (excluding the $30 shipping) purchase of my life so far. I have been happy with them for over 6 months and I am sure I will be happy with them for many years to come. I prefer it over a lot of the other headphones I’ve auditioned, including its fellow brethren, the Beyer cans, the Sennheiser HD650 and many more. The value is simply insane and I think that its AKG’s best value pair of cans they’ve made in a while.

Some things that AKG could improve on, although I don't see much, is to perhaps include a carrying case for these wonderful headphones as it would be a shame if they broke. I would also love it if they used a 4-pin XLR instead of a 3-pin XLR connector for the cable. It's a good thing that they cost only $200 though as this helps to justify the lack of accessories. However, the bass port being closed up is in my opinion a strange decision. I have a feeling that AKG planned to leave the port open but closed it up at a later time for whatever reason, the likes of which completely defeat my mind as I greatly prefer these cans with the port open.

Category

Score

Packaging and Accessories

3/10

Adequate for the price.

Design and Build

7/10

Typical mid-tier AKG plastic stuff. Fairly solid and functional but the stealth black makes it look cool.

Comfort and Isolation

9/10

One of the most comfortable pair of cans I’ve ever listened to in my life, with only one small nitpick. Isolation is of course moot as this is a pair of open-backed headphones.

Bass

7.5/10
    Update: 9/10 with the bass port mod

Good tight well-extended bass for an open-backed headphone. Update: improves substantially with the bass port mod.

Midrange

9.5/10

Fantastic mid-range, better than a lot of more expensive cans I’ve tried and definitely very satisfying.

Treble

8.5/10

Clear airy and crisp treble which is well-extended and very revealing.

Presentation

9/10

The way the headphone works is simply marvelous and synergizes very well with each other. The soundstage is amazing too and the texture of the music is top-notch.

10/10

Must-buy especially for its price.   Period.

Total

8.5/10
    Update: 9.5 with the bass port mod

If the lack of accessories don’t bother you, then this is a fabulous open-backed offering from AKG and I highly recommend buying this when it comes up on sale on massdrop. It’s unrivalled at its price point with no significant flaws to hold it back.
    Update: There is also the option to increase the bass by a solid amount which lets these cans shine with even more genres.I have a feeling that AKG planned to leave the port open but closed it up at a later time for whatever reason, the likes of which completely defeat my mind.

==Specs==

10. MilkyShakes
    AKG needs a cookie
    Written by MilkyShakes
    Published Mar 22, 2015
    Pros - They very well balanced, and comfortable
    Cons - Not many acessories
    :):D im bad at reviews
      octiny likes this.
    1. Music Alchemist
      After reading your review...I think I'm going to buy these headphones *immediately*. =P
      Music Alchemist, Mar 22, 2015
    2. Sonic Defender
      Sonic Defender, Mar 23, 2015
    3. raybone0566
      very informative! can't wait for your next review.
      raybone0566, Mar 23, 2015