AKG K240 MKII Headphones

1. kevingzw
    Vintage cans that hit above its price point
    Written by kevingzw
    Published Jul 3, 2017
    Pros - Additional Velour Pads and Coiled Cable, Detachable Connectors, Classic AKG Styling, A Laidback Reference, Realistic 3D Soundstage
    Cons - Requires gargantuan power to really sing, Unnatural treble, May be considered "exciting" to some.
    Do take note that this is solely my opinion and I don't represent the individual tastes of every Head fi'er out there. YMMV

The Infamous AKG "Sextetts". Courtesy of Whitney Dafoe Photography,

"It speaks for itself!"

AKG is an already established company that focuses primarily on the manufacture of radio equipment in Austria. Starting from humble beginnings, AKG started from the ground up, producing the D12 microphone in 1953 with the ability to pick up on wider bandwidths. Soon after, AKG started to amass a wider following amongst the radio-industry crowd. In the years to come, AKG would soon branch out into headphones, developing the venerable AKG K240 "Sextett" and other oddball renditions.

Fast forward to 2017, and AKG is now a subsidiary company under the Harman Audio group. Focusing primarily on pro-audio, with its reference grade headphones such as the K812, AKG is widely regarded as one of the industry giants. And yet, the K240 (do take note that this is a revised model) is still available for purchase to this day. In an already crowded low-fi market, models that serve as a low cost to entry are a dime a dozen, with competitors spitting out headphones on the yearly. Competition is stiff, and companies are eager to be the next big thing. Has the K240 aged well to this day or is it a cheap relic from a time forgotten?

Price:
    I live in Singapore and I managed to snag a pair of the AKG K240 Mkii's at 99 SGD (approximately 70 USD) from Lazada Singapore. Do take note that there are no audible differences between the K240 Classic and K240 Mkii's (apart from differing color variants and accessories).

Package:
    Right out of the box, we have:

1 X AKG K240 Mkii (Blue)
    1 X Mini XLR Coiled Cable
    1 X Mini XLR Regular Cable
    1 X Velour Earpads
    1 X AKG Sticker + Warranty Card

[​IMG]

For 99 dollars, this is a pretty sweet deal. For such a low cost, we're pretty much set out for life with this pair! Overall, a generous package from AKG.

Build Quality/Comfort:

[​IMG]

At 99 dollars, I didn't have any overblown expectations and I'm glad I didn't. I was pleasantly surprised by the overall build and comfort.

Weighing in 240 grams (without the cable), the headphone is ergonomically designed, fitted with the already signature AKG Styling that we've all come to love over the years. The rounded earcups sit snugly on the head with just the right amount of clamp. The self-adjusting vinyl headband allows the headphone's weight to be evenly distributed across the head.

The detachable connector on the left feels sturdy, showing no signs of loose pins. The build, while plasticky, feels sturdy enough for heavy usage. Every part of the headphone can be replaced easily, with a market of readily available parts. Do take note that the K240's are manufactured in China, unlike it's pricier counterparts (Q701, K712, K612). Do not let the aforementioned fact affect your judgement, the K240's are still a fine pair of headphones.

Amping:
    Impedance:
    55 Ohms
    Sensitivity: 91 dB SPL/V
    Maximum Input: 200mW

My pride and joy!

Make no mistake, AKG's are notoriously power-hungry beasts (ala the K240 "Sextett" with its power-sucking 600-ohm impedance). The K240's are wired to be more "consumer friendly" but even on my Aune X1s, the volume knob has to be turned past the 12 O clock region. Like Sennheiser, AKG focuses on Electrical Damping to achieve more nuanced movements on the dynamic driver diaphragms, with an ideal damping factor. My guess; it has something to do with it's large XXL Varimotion transducers.

Back to the topic at hand, the K240's responds well to a powerful amp section. More juice= More control. It clearly shows with the K240's. Paired with the Fiio K1, the K240 reaches ample listening volume but it doesn't exactly shine. When it's powered by my Aune X1s, the headphones really sing, with added control on the mid-bass section. Go for power with the K240's.

Sound Quality:
    Source:

• Spotify Premium (Highest Quality)
    • Aune X1s
    • Fiio K1
    • Denon DP300F Turntable

Tonality:
    • Liquid/Rich Mid Range
    • Rolled-up Mid-Bass/Sub-Bass
    • Extended Highs
    • Decent 3D Soundstage
    After using the K240's as my daily drivers for the past 5 days, the K240's can be characterized as a mid-centred headphone, with layered mids and a phenomenal vocal range, the likes I haven't soon in a headphone at this price point. The somewhat forward treble is bordering on the threshold of sibilance without overstepping the "boundaries".

The highs are well extended, without the stiff peaks that accompany cheap headphones. The highs are a tad brittle, however, lacking shimmer for more excitement. These are most definitely tuned for the "studio engineer" in mind, with its lack of coloration

The main detraction, however, is its bass section. The bass leaves nothing to be desired. Its mid-bass punch is present but lacks the thick sub-bass to back it up. It's a flabby, sort of dry bass reminiscent of balanced armatures and their characteristic lack of air movement.

While the soundstage isn't going to win any awards, the K240's prove to have decent imaging. Picture your head as a 3D reference ball. Each instrument remains grounded in a circular soundstage. The soundstage isn't your typical "out of head" experience with an oval soundstage but rather, it is more in line with what you'd expect from a semi-open pair of cans.

Featured Track:
    Jonny Lang- Still Raining

The perfect companion track, Jonny Lang's raspy howls paired with the reverberation of tube amp blues riffs perfectly compliments the mid-section of the K240's. The realistic imaging adds a layer of forwardness, akin to sitting in front of a live stage performance.

Are the AKG's a fine wine?
    There are so many headphones to choose from today. But the K240's stood the test of time and are still considered to be an industry standard by many recording artists and studio engineers. Sometimes, you can't beat the old timers. I'd give the K240's my highest recommendation if you're looking for mid-focused listen.
      trellus likes this.
  2. goozik
    Decent detailed sound. Good value for the money.
    Written by goozik
    Published Jun 23, 2015
    Pros - Details, Loud, good bass and mids
    Cons - Not suitable for mix and master
    I'm professional musician and I bought it for my home studio. I own also Sennheiser HD 449. From my perspective It might be difficult to mix and master on these AKG if you are not used to them because they are heavy on bass and middles, sound is not balanced. HD449 are more suitable for that purpose because they are more balanced. I still use AKG in the end to check if song makes even more impression in good headphones. Anyway, If buy them for listening to the music - they are the best. The sound is brilliant - good mids, punch in the bass, very clean highs.
    1. ayaflo
      I thought these were used quite a bit for mastering !?
      ayaflo, Jun 23, 2015
    2. whitemass
      Heavy on the Bass? What in the world are you talking about.
      whitemass, Jun 23, 2015
  3. last1done
    Brilliant.
    Written by last1done
    Published Jun 10, 2013
    Pros - Amazing quality of bass, mids, and upper ranges, very comfortable, great depth of sound, no blurring of audio, no "in-head" feel, light, feels durable
    Cons - cord is very long, burn-in takes a little while, EDIT: great difficulty changing cords FURTHER EDIT: difficulty individual and unlikely, due to defect
    I love these headphones. I have been using little earbuds for a while, and they have been quite good, for earbuds, but I decided that I needed better headphones for both listening to music and operating the soundboard at my school. I just received them in the mail today, and have been listening to them for the past three hours straight. They are a little soft on my ipod, (duh) but far from inaudible, due to their high resistance, but that is to be expected, and amplifiers are readily available possibly as a future purchase. My laptop volume is at 22%, and it is very comfortable. Since I have started using these, their burn in has started to really make a difference, and the sound quality is getting even more amazing. I can also still hear some outside noises very quietly due to the design of the earpieces, so I can hear other things, but it is easy to tune it out. This is good for me, because I like knowing what is going on around me, but I can see it being a problem for some people. This is my first major audio purchase, only done because of a massive 60% sale on amazon, but it is definitely worth it. Listening to Phillip Glass, I can hear every instrument as though I were at a live performance. Dubstep is also very good, with very strong bass, but not overpowering the uppers, rock is also great, thanks to the amazing range of the phones, and the quality of all ranges of the head phones. Listening to "Paint it, Black", I noticed a lot of guitar riffs I hadn't been able to hear over the lyrics. Country and Pop are about the same as rock, a lot of harmonic details coming through. Some songs which use extreme left/right splits in effects can get a little disconcerting because of the extremes of one ear to the other, but that is probably the intended effect that I have been missing out on all these years. Used with my electric violin, I could hear the tones much more clearly, and it sounded great. OK, so I love them, if that wasn't clear, but in all fairness, they are a huge step up for me, and I am probably missing things I am used to not having. I do have good tonal hearing as a result of nearly 14 years of violin playing, so I would say I am qualified to judge audio quality, but on what is to be expected from headphones, I am not an authority.

Would most definitely recommend.

EDIT: today, the cable connecting headset to audio source decided that it would just stay there forever, leaving me with a functional, but annoying pair of headphones. I am not going to attempt to open them up until I know what I'm doing, but it is still annoying to lose use of one of the cables included with these headphones. Sound quality has only gotten better as the headphones burn in.

FURTHER EDIT: cable was just busted, I read up on schematics, cracked it open (carefully), and fixed the problem. connector had a bad release catch, so it's unusable, gonna send it back in for replacement if I can. Other cable works perfectly, and everything else is good. Glad to see it wasn't a headset problem.
    1. Lorspeaker
      b4 I quit headfi, think I will snag one...having heard the k271mkii, k70x...
      this semi open should be interesting. thanks for the review!!
      Lorspeaker, Jun 11, 2013
    2. dragosgalben
      Honestly, looking at the cons and edits why 5 stars? This just negates all your review.
      dragosgalben, Oct 15, 2015
  4. alwin
    Very solid sounding headphone for its price
    Written by alwin
    Published Jun 2, 2013
    Pros - Great sound, clear mids and highs, very comfortable headband,
    Cons - Shallow ear pad, need a bit of amping
    It is my first pair of good quality headphone, it just turns me in to an audiophile within weeks.

The headphone is very comfortable, it comes with a 3.5mm to 6.2mm adapter, two sets of earpads, straight cable and coil cables.

It sounded muddy when it was plugged directly to my laptop after the headphone already run for 200 hours, having a look in head-fi and i got the FiiO E17
    The amp clears up the sound and its more dynamic. Vocal is very clear from this headphone, the sound stage is quite wide and no punchy bass.

Recommend to listen to Jazz, vocal and instrumental.
  5. sweetholymosiah
    Another first...
    Written by sweetholymosiah
    Published Jul 15, 2011
    Pros - As if the sound originated all around you.
    Cons - Now I have no life.
    I found these phones in the local classifieds. Basically unused... I dunno if Audiphiliacs accept a lifetime of musical sound gear experience as righteous enough. I also have a pair of Alesis active monitors, but these are my first real headphones.  Oh wait what about the stream of them I used as a child for keyboard lessons and jamming.

I'm having trouble faulting these suckers. They've sent me scrambling for better connections to the digits man! These do not show their potential with an ipod or sound card. I guess I don't need to tell you guys that!

Warm. On the head. It is summer, but these pads are like nice gloves. They'd be great for a snow storm. Semi Open though, so the wind....

The musician stands beside me with these AKG headphones, as long as the recording is high quality.

Even low quality stuff is more fun, for a short while.

Dare I look for a better sound then the MKII??

Since I found these 'used' I paid $120 for them.

5 stars for value.
  6. Charun
    Good overal quality headset
    Written by Charun
    Published May 3, 2011
    Pros - extermely comfy, good response to music "more detial"
    Cons - 55ohms ;(
    Yes first set of quality headphones, the sound just keeps getting better and better, burn in went nicely, responses to bass better every time I use them,

Only problem I have with is that the low resistance (55ohms) and my big amp don't like the low end at high volumes, they defiantly go loud enough to do some damage with little distortion in the left speaker with bass overall very pleased :) next set is going to be the AKG 702's :)

I had the choice between discounted M-audio Q40's and these I chose these for the pure over better sound and comfort vs Q40's nice kick in low end but they where very tight on my skull/ears thus only wore the for about 30minutes or so with my ears bloodshot and hot as the Akgs I can wear for hours on end without an issue also had chance to test them out before I bought anything sat in the store with nice powered amp couple CD's weighting out the cons/pros of each set

EDIT- added:

Well only real difference apparently is the rating (55ohms vs 600ohms) I think the 600 are more suited for actual studio work, working much more powerful amps/desks so they can pushed higher for louder volume to see how it sounds at that sort of volume (check for distortion and impurities), also I think the quality is about the same, AKG made these to replace the 600 version, but as for real-world applications home use..etc the 55ohms version is better for low-powered devices (ipods, cellphones, mp3's, crappy pc sound cards (lol)  etc..), also IIRC, the 600 studios have been discontinued, this is what managed to found just did bit of research, but either way I recommend any "audiophile/studio-phile" headphones be powered by a decent amp, which drastically increases your overall enjoyment of the headset and making it much more worth the cash.

1. JamesMcProgger
      anyone know how would this compare to the vintage K240 600 ohms?
      JamesMcProgger, May 3, 2011
    2. Charun
      Well only real difference apparently is the rating (55ohms vs 600ohms) I think the 600 are more suited for actual studio work, working much more powerful amps/desks so they can pushed higher for louder volume to see how it sound at that sort of volume, also I think the quality is about the same, AKG made these to replace the 600 version, but as for real-world applications home use..etc the 55ohms version is better for low-powered devices (ipods, cellphones, mp3's, crappy pc sound cards (lol) etc..), also IIRC, the 600 studios have been discontinued, this is what managed to found just did bit of research, but either way I recommend any "audiophile/studio-phile" headphones be powered by a decent amp, which drastically increases your overall enjoyment of the headset and making it much more worth the cash
      Charun, May 19, 2011
  7. SkyBleu
    The Refreshingly Tranquil Selection
    Written by SkyBleu
    Published Nov 20, 2013
    Pros - Clean, Clear, Natural Sound, Thick & Creamy Mids, Good Tonality & Resolution, Spacious/Airy Soundstage, High in Detail, Good Amount of Accessories
    Cons - Plastic Build, Bass-Lacking

Review on the AKG K240 MK. II

It's been a while since I wrote up a review, and well...I'm back again with another write up!

Introduction

Lately, I've been on the prowl for a pair of headphones that offer the open/semi-open back design, as I was curious about these types of headphones. Coming from a pair of V-Moda M100's, I was really after a quality alternative to the closed-back, bassy headphones. A wide soundstage and a clean sound has been something I like to look for when it comes to buying an audio product, whether it be an amp or a pair of IEMs/Headphones. I was talking to a friend a while back, and I've been recommended to check out the AKG range, in which I did, and I was pretty happy with what I had found! If I had the cash, I'd happily fork it out for a pair of AKG Q/K 701/702, but sadly, I only wanted to play around with only approx. $200 this time round, so the AKG K240 MK. II were my pick of choice. But thankfully I didn't follow the crowd and grab a pair of Q/K 701/702, because these K240's are a stunner of a deal! They were a pair of cans that had relatively good reviews here, on Head-Fi, as well appealing to my eyes with their detachable mini-XLR to 3.5mm cable, so from there, I quickly searched around for a local seller in Australia.

Maybe after a week or so of hunting, I came across this store that goes by the name of, Store DJ. I visited their website to have a browse around for what else they might have, and to my surprise, they had quite a wide range of headphones! It was an easy site to look around, and seeing that they were local to me (Melbourne), I decided to just pick up the phone and give them a call to get a hold of these cans to save me from the hassle of dealing with the wait of the emailing process. I surely did not make a wrong decision when I decided to call these guys up, because their service was pretty awesome, I'll give you that. They were very friendly to deal with, and had my stuff shipped out momentarily after receiving my bank transfer as a form of payment. The only hiccup we had here, was the fact that my payment was sent just before the weekend, so I kind of had to wait off the weekend as they weren't working to be able to send my product off, but that doesn't really matter, haha.

I know in Melbourne, Australia, us Head-Fi'ers have a few local audio stores, so if you guys don't already know about Store DJ, check them out, because I haven't heard of them before, but after my encounter, I'll recommend them to any one of you Melbournians who are in need of headphones. They have quite a lot, as I had mentioned earlier. [​IMG]

Oh, and I forgot to mention. Free shipping, guys! The process was pretty swift, and we all love free shipping, haha.

Here are the links to the products:
    The AKG K240 Mk. II Headphoneshttps://www.storedj.com.au/products/AKG-K240MKII

The UDG Hard-Shell Case - https://www.storedj.com.au/products/UDG-U8200BL

Something else that I aimed to achieve from buying these headphones, is that I wanted to make a neutral & natural sounding rig, consisting of my C5, which I find is neutral, and this AKG headphone, which many state to have a "natural" sound.

Anyways, enough of my background on these headphones, and now, it's time to get to my pictorial unboxing!

DSCN0198.jpg

Unboxing

Here's a few pictures I took whilst I did my quick unboxing of the product, and apologies for not having proper lighting, as it was a rainy day, and so  I had to do the photographing inside the house.
    (All photos from this unboxing/review were taken with a Nikon L310)

DSCN0094.jpg
    The beast in it's plastic wrapping!
    DSCN0095.jpg
    The back of the box
    DSCN0102.jpg
    Opened box!
    DSCN0106.jpg
    What is found inside the box
    DSCN0108.jpg
    Plastic wrapped velour pads! (Yay!)
    DSCN0110.jpg
    Unwrapped, naked, velour/velvet pads:)
    DSCN0113.jpg
    Some literature for you to read, and a huge sticker to stamp on your forehead
    DSCN0114.jpg
    Coiled cable with 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter
    DSCN0115.jpg
    Stripped of it's plastic exterior packaging (With 6.3mm adapter ON)
    DSCN0116.jpg
    Now, with it's 6.3mm adapter OFF
    DSCN0117.jpg

DSCN0120.jpg
    The beast, itself! (With it's super long straight cable)
    DSCN0123.jpg
    Here's a headphone case I also picked up from Store DJ to conceal my K240's
    DSCN0129.jpg
    Pretty quality case, I'd say. Very good hard case.
    DSCN0131.jpg
    Here's more angles of it
    DSCN0132.jpg
    What's found inside the case - More literature, and a remoavable zip compartment
    DSCN0137.jpg
    The AKG's in the case! (Just need to tuck in the mini-XLR connector socket of the headphones, and you'll be set!:)

So, as you can see, the headphones come in your typical cardboard box, but it does come with a fair amount of accessories, so I was satisfied with that.

Now..time to review this pair of headphones!

Review

Specifications

I'll start off with the specs for those who are interested.

Type
    9.8' (3m) Single-Sided Cable
    16.4' (5m) Coiled Cable

Weight
    8.5 oz (240g)

(I couldn't find much specifications on the internet in regards to these headphones, but this was the best I could find)

I should mention, that through this review, I used a rig, which includes: The iBasso DX50 as the source and the JDS Labs C5 as the amp (being a 55 ohm headphone, I felt an amp was necessary to get the best out of them).

Build Quality & Design/Comfort Factor

Build Quality

To start things off, these headphones are of alright build quality. Coming from a pair of V-Moda M100's, I'll say now that my opinion on the build might be rather bias in a way, but I will try my best not to:)

Putting the plastic complaints aside, I found these headphones to be of decent build. Although being made of plastic, they also feature some metal accents to their structure, as well as a nice leather/pleather/faux leather headband. They do feel somewhat sturdy in the hand, and would probably last a few light drops, before cracks and tears will appear; but obviously, I'll do my best not to let any of that happen:)

DSCN0200.jpg
    Coiled cable being photogenic. [​IMG]
    DSCN0211.jpg
    Coiled cable attached to the headphones

The included cables appear to be very durable, as they are thick, and have a strong, rubber-coating to protect them from the external environment. From the mini-XLR male plug, to the 3.5mm jack; both are very standard in terms of appearance, but are very solid when it comes to build. Not to mention, the strain relief on the jacks are a very nice touch, as the design of these are made to endure a lot of bending! Although these cables feel slightly hard, they are still, nevertheless, flexible. I am currently using the coil cable, and I do like how it's tightly wound, although many will argue otherwise.

DSCN0191.jpg
    There, you can slightly see the recessed, 3-pin mini-XLR port
    DSCN0190.jpg
    Mini-XLR connected the port on the headphones

The pleather/leather/faux leather earpads that came with the headphones, along with the velour pads, have a very quality form and feel factor. Very soft in the hands, and on the ears, and I found the velour pads to be of exceptionally high quality materials.

DSCN0205.jpg

There's not much for me to say about the build, other than that, so I'll continue on with the Design Factor.

Design/Comfort Factor

DSCN0186.jpg

Design...These cans definitely have your usual "AKG" look, which is not a bad thing, because I do support this type of unique design. The headband, and the cabling from one cup to the other, is done very discretely, so to speak, which makes this headphone look somewhat modern, as well as having a touch of vintage. The way in which AKG made the little holes, encircling the centre of the ear cup, was a nice touch to the "semi-open" style. Much better than a massive, gaping hole with grills, although I too, like that design also. With the addition of the metal accented circle around these little holes, it adds a bit of coloration to the overall appearance of the K240's - otherwise, these headphones would be very monotonal in terms of colour, and that wouldn't make for a very interesting design.

The headband, although does not contain any padding or made of real leather (not too sure on this one), still gives this headphone a nice sleek look and feel. Aside from not being padded, the headband offers great auto-adjusted comfort when the headphones are worn, so all is good when it comes to this.

DSCN0204.jpg
    Bird's Eye View of the headband
    DSCN0209.jpg
    Side-View of the headband (Sorry for the dust particles that can be seen! Was hoping my camera wouldn't pick that up, haha)

Being an over-ear headphone, these are bound to offer extreme comfort - in which they do. The earpads, being my favourite part about the headphones (more so, the velour pads), were easily found to be comfortable for hour-long listening periods.

As said in my Build Quality talk, it is very well made, in terms of design AND comfort. Looks great, and feels great. I especially appreciate the added velour pads. Soft and extremely comfortable, and also contributes to the improvement in sound quality, is indeed, a very good bonus. The faux leather/leather/pleather earpads were also soft and comfortable, were no match to the velour pads.

Now, the cable. Very simple, yet effective design. Looks elegant as can be, yet functions just as well as any other high quality cable. Solid as well as being flexible, was something I really liked about the stock cables. They feel nice in the hand, and do not feel like they will break after a short period of usage.

Overall, under this sub-topic, I was very happy with the build (for most parts), the quirky design structure, and the amazing comfort. Really is a headphone to consider when you're after a fancy looking pair, or just want something that sounds classy. Speaking of which, time to tell you guys what I thought about its sound quality!

Sound Quality

Here's the part where I struggle to use "audiophile" terminology to make my best attempt at telling you guys what you should expect from these headphones:)

DSCN0212.jpg

In short, I'll say these headphones sound very natural and spacious, as well as being very clean and clear, due to its semi-open back design, in which it allows a lot of air flow into the holes on the side of the ear cups. They have a very good melodic rhythm and tonality, as well as having distinguishable layering within the space between each instrument. Somewhat, these K240's will pass for being analytical sounding, as they are very transparent, and the bass is not all up in your face, and not only that, but the resolution of the sound is pretty astounding.

Before I bought these, I always feared that any open/semi-open back headphones would offer a thin mid range, but I was dead wrong in that respect.

Instead of explaining it all here, I will do it under each range (Lows/Mids/Highs) below...

Lows

To me, right off the bat, I found the low range to be rather lacking than usual. It just isn't there, but this does not necessarily mean it's a bad thing. I am aware there are people out there who are not a fan of bassy headphones, so these might be for them. Although, the sub-bass is almost completely depleted, the soft bass-punch is, and it is pretty mellow. Probably not the headphones for bassheads, but it will do for any listener who want to not be fatigued after hours on end. Its entire low frequency is just very subtle, so it'll assure you will not be having any headaches from the pounding bass, of let's say, the M100's. There's not much to speak about this range, as like I said just then, it's kind of "missing".

Since I'm coming off from a pair of bass monstrosity, aka, the M100's, I was easily not impressed by what the AKG attempted to pump out, as "bass". In saying so, this did not mean I was just going to let myself down with these bass-lacking cans. I was kind of happy that I chose a pair of headphones that sound different from the M100's, because that was my intention in looking for a pair like these. Obviously, being well adjusted to the M100's, it was expected of me to find some way to bass boost these AKG's to give them a better kick than what they offered. This was where my JDS Labs C5 comes in, because that neutral sounding amp houses a Bass Boost switch, which I used with these K240's, and guess what? My K240's now sound even sweeter with that "oomph" from the bass boost. It wasn't too boomy, but it just gave the AKG's the life it had required to fully satisfy me.

Some might be wondering by now, why I named this review, "The Definition of Tranquility", and it is really kind of because of the lows which make me say the sound gives the appearance of tranquility. Just so free of harshness, and smooth (without the boost of an amplifier)..especially the mids which I will now go on to.

Mids

This is where these K240's really shine. Their thick, full-sounding, rich and creamy mids is where it is at! AKG totally did it right when they came to this frequency range. (Kudos to AKG)

Well, it should be known that the mid range of these cans perform flawlessly! It is just so smooth, and natural, it really puts you in the mood, like you were listening to your artists singing in an theatrical scenery. Very lively sounding, and it was a good thing, I was wrong about the mid range, when I said it might be lacking. For me, especially with R&B singers, and more so, female vocalists, sound superb with these headphones. The details within the vocal are brought out, and well textured, such as to when you hear the rasp in the singer's voice, or when they just finish the ending of a word, you'll pretty much hear these minor feats. But vocals is not just the only thing it brings out. The acoustics within a track is much more natural sounding. It doesn't sound too thin and metallic, but it does give the "strumming" experience. I'm not too sure if I'm making sense there, but what I mean in simple form, is that the layering is done right, so you'll hear the separation between each instrument/string being plucked, and hence, it doesn't sound all clustered together. Those were the few things that really stood out to me.

To be full-sounding is one thing, but to flow is another. And well, these AKG's do just that. They allow the mids to flow freely, and that's what really gives the headphones an edge in smoothness.

Highs

Sparkle, sparkle! Because that's exactly what the high frequency range of the K240's do. They do make these headphones sound bright, and that is a good thing for me, because that's the type of sound I prefer. A touch of glimmer, and it sounds fresh as a pine. The cymbal clashes with these headphones sound so crisp, it would be hard for one to not resist. Besides that, I'm not too sure what else could be discussed here, as what I planned to say, was mentioned above, and really, all that should be noted about the highs, is that these headphones are relatively treble-happy, so bright in that case, and that's all there is to it for me.

Brief Comparison to the V-Moda M100

Alrighty...Here's something I wasn't originally going to do, but because the C5 gave the K240's such a good boost in bass, that I felt it was alright to compare these to the basshead's, and my beloved, V-Moda M100's.

Untitled-2.jpg

Sound Quality

Now that the bass is comparable, let's begin with the lows.

Lows

Well, this is easy. This round goes straight to the M-100's, because there isn't anything to compare it to. The bass of the M100's just hits so hard, with such texture and clarity, and no muffle; it really isn't worth comparing to the AKG's attempt at having a touch of bass.

Round Winner: V-Moda M100

Mids

This is can be a close battle, although the K240's mids are just much more detailed, and rich in thickness, that it in a way, can make the M100's sound a bit thin and of less cleanliness.

Round Winner: AKG K240 MK. II

Highs

Hmm...both cans are great performers when it comes to refreshing highs, and to be honest, I can't exactly put my finger on choosing between these two. I'm sure most will say the AKG's will take the winning in this category, but I'm still on the fence, so I'll throw this down as a tie.

Round Winner: AKG K240 MK. II & V-Moda M100

Brief Overview

So in the end, I'd say it really comes down to whether you'd want a "house party"/basshead sound (M100), where the experience is fun and engaging, but may get tiring, OR, an "orchestral/theatrical" sound, where it is forever mellow and soothing (K240 Mk. II), but it lacks the "fun" factor, which I know, is important to some.

Build Quality

Well...I don't even think this part was necessary, haha. The M100's will be taking this one home, because it may as well be the king of the hill when it comes to military-grade durability.

Round Winner: V-Moda M100

Brief Overview

It's true. This round wasn't even needed. There was no competition.

Design Factor

For this part, I think it strongly comes down on preference, because although some will prefer the vintage-style look, some others will disagree and say that the sleeker, sharper look is preferred. It really isn't something for me to determine, but for the sake of my comparison, I'll say they both appeal to me equally, in very different ways.

Round Winner: AKG K240 MK. II & V-Moda M100

Brief Overview

Like I said - Preference is what will get people through this stage.

DSCN0207.jpg

DSCN0208.jpg

Summary/Conclusion

It's time to sum up my review, because I'm sure most of you's probably didn't bother reading down to here (and for those who did, thanks:), and I'm kinda tired myself after sitting her for nearly five hours..coming to the end of my second review. I'm rather happy with myself now! [​IMG]

The K240 Mk. II...a stellar pair of headphones that has a lot to offer, especially if you are one who appreciates your vocals, and do not want to pay an excessive amount just for a pair of K/Q701/702, these headphones will do just fine. With its well refined treble, juicy, thick mids, and a gently bass hit, these are quite the headphones for anyone who is not a basshead.

That's another review to my collection!

PS: Any errors and/or flaws that you may spot in my write-up that I might have missed - please do inform me about it.

Over & Out,
    SkyBleu-

jaudiophile likes this.
    1. Headzone
      The K240 really deserve the praise. Very reasonably priced for their performance. Not perfect, but whatever then really is? I like the bass they got, it's just the right amount. Almost as much as an HD600, or maybe thereabouts with their quantity. But the highs are a bit low quality for my ears, compared to more expensive cans of course. Just my opinion
      Headzone, Nov 20, 2013
    2. lin0003
      Great review!

Got to go to Store DJ and try them out sometime. Too bad you can't make it to the meet.
      lin0003, Nov 20, 2013
    3. SkyBleu
      @Headzone Yeah, they do deserve the praise. Great headphones; love them. Yeah, the bass is pretty cool, but I'm just used to the thump the M100's put out, so hence why I have to give it a little boost:)

I wouldn't say the highs are of low quality, but rather, it's just over done. It was pretty bright when I first used it, but over time, that subsided, and now they sound pretty good.

@lin0003 Thanks.

Yeah, they're a great store, should definitely check them out if you're after some headphones that audiophile stores might not have.
      SkyBleu, Nov 21, 2013
  8. Friggs
    Fantastic in all areas
    Written by Friggs
    Published Apr 30, 2013
    Pros - Great sound, clear mids, nice highs, and perfect lows. Very comfortable.
    Cons - With velour pads a little shallow. but I found a fix.
    I am new to higher end headphones, so I might not know all the correct wording, but I will do my best. Before I got these AKG's, my headphones where a set of Bose Tri-Ports, a old set of Realistic  on ear phones made by Koss, and a inear set of Pure Sound 8mm's. These AKG's are fantastic. Great definition and clariety. I do not like overpowering bass, and these don't have it. I feel it is about perfect.Highs are clear without being harsh. Mids are amazing, i love guitar sound from these. sound incredable. same with piano. with the velour pads, my ears touched the inside pad. i took p strip of napkin and rolled it up and stuffed it under the back half of the pad. not to much or it could pull off the pad. it raised the pad enough i  no longer touch the side. problem solved. i listen to all kinds of music, but since i got these, i spend more time listening to jazz, smooth jazz, and classical. they sound so amazing through them. of course all music does. well i do not listen to metal or rap, so i don't know about them. when i first got them i used a Fiio E6. i then got a Fiio E11. drives them just fine. as a source i use a Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0. i want to start using a netbook for music and get a dac. but i need to find info on how using those work. ( any recomended reading on that? book, website, whatever.) as you can tell, this is my first review. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

as for the AKG's, get it.

thanks for reading,

Bill
  9. Odranoel
    Superbly clean and sharp, a relaxed sound signature
    Written by Odranoel
    Published Nov 10, 2012
    Pros - Clear mids and highs, a comfortable over ear design
    Cons - Lows and highs become overshadowed by supremely clean mids.
    Some of the cleanest mids you'll get for the price point. Possibly the perfect entry-level cans for music lovers who want a neutral sound signature.

Bear in mind that most AKG cans are not bass-centric. For bassheads, the K240s may turn you off. Surprisingly, I've grown accustomed to the lightweight bass that the K240's offer. Sure, its bass may be overly mild, but you'll hear the rest of the soundscape with a clarity you will not expect. I listen to these cans with the Cowon J3 which appear to give the K240's more "oomph". However, if you want the kind of "punchy bass" that audiophiles talk about, look elsewhere.

Tracks observed:
    Omnia - The Fusion
    Dash Berlin - When You Were Around

Outside of bass, the K240's are amazing. I fell in love with the mids, especially after the first month of burn-in. When I introduced the K240s to Adele, it immediately replicated the songstress's warm register with ease. Of course, the K240's struggled with Whitney's five-octave range, but it wasn't too shabby really. It was at this point that I understood the K240's. The K240's manouvres soundscapes with steady agility, and uses that same technique to tackle both the low and high registers.

Tracks observed:
    Adele - Someone Like You
    Whitney - I Have Nothing
    Whitney - I Will Always Love You

One other thing I'd comment on is that these headphones are miraculously comfortable. After 2 hours of usage, I almost forgot I have them on. They are surprisingly lightweight.

Note that the K240's require a driver. DO NOT pair them with your smartphone. I have owned them for a year and mostly pair them with the Xonar Essence STX and Cowon J3. My library is mostly FLAC which I play on a non-EQed Foobar2000.
  10. Phait
    Bang for you buck
    Written by Phait
    Published Mar 3, 2011
    Pros - Clear mids and highs, appropriate bass, instrument seperation
    Cons - Shallow cups
    First off, I am by no standards a veteran audiophile: I have only, within the last half-year, started my journey into the world of hifi sound.

To begin - the positives. The mids were stunning, a quality that extended up through the highs. The bass, some call it lacking and some plenty, was just right for me, I call it proper.

Like the reviewer above me, I also found the shallow cups a bit uncomfortable, but it was nothing unmanageable. Their size is fine for home use, but portable use isn't really practical.

The sound stage and instrument seperation is wonderful. I regularly listen to my favorite classical pieces over and over and just focus on certain instruments each time.

Well that's my two cents, but everyone likes their own sound, so if you think the k240 mkii's are for you, go for it! If you don't like them you can always put them up on the forums here and odds are someone will buy them.