Y Splitter for XLR cable and sound quality
May 17, 2017 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Petyot

100+ Head-Fier
Maybe I am in the wrong forum and I apologize if it is the case...

My problem is the following : I have one DAC with only one XLR output but I have 3 amps (for 3 differents headphones). Until very recentlyI had only two balanced amp and I was using a Y splitter XLR cable connected to the only output of my DAC and then to my two amps (balanced input connectors). Now that I have a third amp, my question is : could I add another Y splitter after the first Y splitter to get another connection ? Before I order the cable, I would like to know if there is a risk to affect negatively the sound ? Or affect the DAC or any amp connected ?

Maybe it is a stupid question... Just let me know if it is the case :ksc75smile:

May 18, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #3 of 10
you could always try to measure each amp output alone and then again with the others plugged to a splitter to see if there is much impact from added circuitry when several are turned on or not etc.
the sure road would be to get some switch involved so that only one device is effectively in the circuit each time.

May 19, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 10
I doubt it would make any difference, but why not just use a line level switcher?

May 26, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks to everybody...

I am not sure to understand the concept of "measure each amp" so I will try to find a line level switcher (if I can find what it is... :confounded:)

May 26, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 10
Providing model of the amps being connected would be helpful to answer your question. The DAC in use too. Probably isn't going to be a problem.

My system is : iMac --> M2tech Hiface --> TC Electronique BMC-2

The BMC-2 offers one balanced output. From that output, I want to feed 3 amps (without having to switch the cable manually each time)

1. Stax SRM-006t (balanced)
  2. Little Dot MKVI+ (balanced)
  3. Parasound Zpre (SE)
Most of the time, I listen to only one amp at a time (as you may imagine...) but, occasionnaly, I listen with my wife and I need to have two amps functionnal at the same time...

I hope it is more clear...

I have look at balanced switcher (Like this one : http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/049378-Kramer-VS4X) but most of them offers 2, 3 or 4 inputs for 1 output... I need the opposite if I understand correctly

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 10
Well, you're doing it the hard way. It's probably going to be hard. I prefer to have a streamlined system that is simple and straightforward myself. But if it's fun to solve problems like this, have at it!

By the way, what you probably need is a patch bay.

May 28, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #9 of 10
You might look at something like this: http://www.markertek.com/product/sw...witch-stereo-in-4-stereo-out-monitor-switcher . Its 239. I thought I heard good things about kramer and not sure if they have an equivalent product. I've only heard neutral things about martek and what they sell (perhaps known for their diversity of products more than the audiophile nature of our hobby). Someone knowledgeable would have to comment on the introduction of noise in these configurations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back