xDuoo TA-03 Tube Amplifier (24Bit/192KHz USB DAC) - Impressions and Reviews thread
Jun 17, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #16 of 64
Really nice review, look forward to see more updates!

As for tube rolling, it seems that there's not much alternatives for 6C19.
There's many alternatives for 12AU7, but so far 6350 with adapter is my favorite on my TA-01. 

Jun 17, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #17 of 64
  Really nice review, look forward to see more updates!

As for tube rolling, it seems that there's not much alternatives for 6C19.
There's many alternatives for 12AU7, but so far 6350 with adapter is my favorite on my TA-01. 

Thanks I appreciate it :)  Been trying to get a lot more listneing hours before saying anything more concrete but it sure is a beauty :)  Has an amazing addicting sound that I cant just get enough of!

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #18 of 64
Been using the amp this whole week and the more I use it, the more I fall in love with it :)

I don't know what it is exactly but the synergy with my AKG AKG K7XX is just palpable. The way the soundstage just seems to widen out and expand is just marvellous, and the bass. Oh lordy the bass, tighter, but much more defined with more punch. 

This amp is definitely something special. One odd thing is that this amp is quite clean sounding, almost like a solid state, but it does things with soundstage that I have yet to hear another amp do. It makes my Zen 1.0 and Zen 2.0 positively shine!

It does get quite hot after using it for more than an hour or so, but otherwise I have no complaints. 

Wiht the amp I received this little headphone case, kind of like the ones for ciems? Made of metal and felt lined. Plenty of space inside even when screwing in the cap.

Definitely the nicest case I own thats for sure.

Jun 18, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #19 of 64
Should keep getting better. I think tubes are about the only thing everybody agrees that get better with burn-in
wink.gif

Keep your eye open for some NOS tubes as well. I've seen plenty of ads on CAM from people in the GTA - at least 12au7s are plentiful

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #20 of 64
Just received brand new xDuoo TA-03 today, myself like this amp. very much when took out from the box,shiny cross black high quality build, unfortunately first time turn on, it began little lightning explode then massive of smokes and bad smell out from inside the amp. 
I have previously purchased some pre-power amp, and headphone amp.,never face any problem however this is the first very bad experience I have seen.
I understand this kind of incident seldom happen to anyone but still need be aware when order tube amp online from China, 

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #21 of 64
Perhaps you got the version with the wrong voltage?
They have 220V and 110V version.
I recall from the first few drops from Massdrop of TA-01 or TA-03, many burned their units because of wrong voltage setting.

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #22 of 64
I have checked theuser manual & surround the amp, it didn't tell which voltage accepted , just show AC plug in.
Normally most of the electrical stuff will tell which voltage to connect.
Although this xDuoo company has produced some good look high quality products, however they are too careless,
not really proper check the products before send out from factory, till now they still remain unchange, so after some period of times,
the consumers will have no confidence with their company as the products have major proiblem.
Actually before I bought this , myself already have a bit worry about the amp overheat, as I read forum from Massdrop.
Buying electronic thing is just like a gambling,
confused_face_2.gif
either good luck or bad luck
k701smile.gif

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #23 of 64
If you REALLY want to hear some major improvements, mainly in the form of dynamic range and size of soundstage, as well as cleaner smoothly detailed sound with less distortion, substitute the 12AU7 with a 12BH7(a). 

It should drop in no problem.  Not an EXACT replacement, but a very, very commonly used one.  

For the very, very best try the Tung Sol 12BH7A oval black plate.  Also in the same league is the Raytheon 12BH7A black plate, and Westinghouse 12BH7A black 'wing' plate.  Sylvania black plates are good, too.  Another one that is in the same ballpark, and might even be the best of them all, is the early 1950's CBS-Hytron 12BH7 black plate.  

As far as others go, the RCA black plates are okay. A good tube.  But I prefer the Tung Sol and CBS-Hytron.  

Another I have had the chance to own, but did not give enough evaluation time, is the BRIMAR 12BH7 black plate.  One of the few European entries of 12BH7 type.  If you can find one, I imagine it has it own unique sound.  Very often re-sold as GE, but is a Brimar.  

As far as 12AU7 go.... a MUST TRY is the very, very hard to find, but when found very reasonably priced EARLY version of the RFT min-plate ECC82.  The one you want is from the late 50's early 60's, and is distinguished by the getter... it will have a FOIL or solid getter, and a comparatively uneven getter flashing.  This tube is to DIE FOR.  Now, be careful, the later RFT with O-getter doesn't cut it in quite the same way.  

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #24 of 64
  If you REALLY want to hear some major improvements, mainly in the form of dynamic range and size of soundstage, as well as cleaner smoothly detailed sound with less distortion, substitute the 12AU7 with a 12BH7(a). 

It should drop in no problem.  Not an EXACT replacement, but a very, very commonly used one.  

This is true, I am now using a RCA 12BH7A with long gray plate and O getter, also a strange structure above the mica. This one is nice, better than average 12AU7, but I haven't used the tubes you mentioned.

Before this one, I have used Sylvania 12BH7A with short black plate and D getter, and a Sylvania 6350 with an adapter. It's interesting that the two Sylvania tubes look almost identical in plate structure, though 6350 has a lower resistance. 6350 was my favorite before the long plate RCA 12BH7A.

It's really fun to try different tubes. However, it's so difficult to find the one people mentioned in the web. For example, I have no idea what a "pinched plate" looks like, or what a "wing" plate or "oval" plate looks like.

Anyway, the higher current of 12BH7A make them better than average 12AU7s. This upgrade is even more cost-effective than some high end 12AU7 replacements, such as TFK or Brimar tubes.

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #28 of 64
Since TA-01 is hybrid, OTL don't make sense to it (if my understanding is correct).
As for TA-03, base on the appearance, it might be an OTL headphone amp (no output transformer visible).
The official site states that it use capacitor coupled output and get rid of output transformer, thus I think this means it's an OTL headphone amp.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #29 of 64
I'm curious on this DAC/Amp. However, I cannot find out a serious review. As a OTL, this should not be good for low impedance phones.
Can this be used as a stand alone DAC and a stand alone amplifier? Any comparison for its DAC part, its Amp. part, and combo of DAC and amplifier? I expect this is also a cost-effective product from Xduoo. Any more impression and comments?

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #30 of 64
TA-01/TA-03 can serve as standalone DAC, they can also serve as standalone amp.
I own TA-01 but don't have personal experience with TA-03.
I think TA-01 is a cost-effective entry level choice.
Since it's a hybrid, it works nicely with low impedance headphones as well (I have tried 32 ohm/62 ohm/300 ohm).
Tube rolling is also fun and much easier, since there is only one tube, no need to worry about matched pairs or driver/power tube combinations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back