X1 Custom Firmwares
Jan 3, 2015 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 207

Hybrixe

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

Just made an account to share this with you.

I wanted to make custom themes for the Fiio X1 but couldn't find much about it. I had a good look at the FirmwareTools package that Fiio uploaded earlier and saw that the tool is capable to unpack and repack the X1's firmware! I made some batch files to make it easier for everyone to pack and unpack it. Here they are:

X1 Unpack:

@ECHO OFF
packtools --unpack -i x1.fw -o x1firmware
pause

X1 Pack:

@ECHO OFF
packtools --pack -i x1firmware -o x1.fw -m x1
pause

X3 Unpack:

@ECHO OFF
packtools --unpack -i x3.fw -o x3firmware
pause

X3 Pack:

@ECHO OFF
packtools --pack -i x3firmware -o x3.fw -m x3
pause

I hope that we can come up with some great themes together and maybe even some software tweaks! If anybody needs the tools again or wants the BAT files directly I'm happy to provide them :)

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 207
There have been a few custom themes already. Not too many, though. Hopefully this thread will get some people do try it themselves :wink:

I modded the firmware so that the pink theme is now a black theme with white text and the light brown theme is now a white theme with black text. It's nothing special, but some people like it due to it being a bit easier to read.

Some older screenshots:

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/fc8ohi331yvkxhz/x1.zip

One thing to note is that when going from the black theme to white them (or vice versa), you'll need to reboot the X1. Otherwise the top bar icons won't change as you can see in the second screenshot.

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 207
I made some changes in the FW1.22b from clee290:
1. Themes colors black and white adapted to the selection menu also
2. Topbar for them in same color and with borderline
3. Lettering in the play progress view 40% enlarged (times, counter)
4. Corrected german in the play menu and system menu

My problem is to offer it to everyone here for download because I have no own internet site!?

Solong somebody wants to get this FW edition he can contact me by kepala@web.de.
(Because my attachment volume can not exceed 20 MB I will send it without the folder
x1firmware\fonts. You have to restore it from the original FW.)

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #4 of 207
Originally Posted by clee290 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
theme is now a white theme with black text. It's nothing special, but some people like it due to it being a bit easier to read.
going from the black theme to white them (or vice versa), you'll need to reboot the X1. Otherwise the top bar icons won't change as you can see in the second screenshot.

Thank you for idea.
Would it be possible to share what you exactly did - just changed config.ini and theme images or more?

I've tried to "visually increase" the battery images, but it does not work somehow ;(

Also still has not found the following:
= changing the font size for currently playing song position counter / song length
= How to add a new encoding - just placing file to /unicode/Windows_1258_unicode_tbl.bin does not work either

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 207
  Thank you for idea.
Would it be possible to share what you exactly did - just changed config.ini and theme images or more?

I've tried to "visually increase" the battery images, but it does not work somehow ;(

Also still has not found the following:
= changing the font size for currently playing song position counter / song length
= How to add a new encoding - just placing file to /unicode/Windows_1258_unicode_tbl.bin does not work either

I changed the images and edited the config.ini to change the font color.

For the battery images, are you using the same resolution or actually making them bigger? If you are using the same resolution, you can try restarting the X1. Some parts of the theme require a restart to fully change.

It seems @Kepala was able to increase the font size of the time/counter, so hopefully he'll be able to help you with that.

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #6 of 207
  For the battery images, are you using the same resolution or actually making them bigger? If you are using the same resolution, you can try restarting the X1.

Same resolution (20x22px), indeed.

Under restart, do you understand turning it off and then on without changing the Theme?
If so, then I'm doing it every time automatically when applying the FW, right?
Or I have to change Theme two times (first to a different one and then back to my #5) and, so, restart also two times ?

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #7 of 207
  Same resolution (20x22px), indeed.

Under restart, do you understand turning it off and then on without changing the Theme?
If so, then I'm doing it every time automatically when applying the FW, right?
Or I have to change Theme two times (first to a different one and then back to my #5) and, so, restart also two times ?

If you're on the theme you're editing (Theme 5) before you update, then you shouldn't need to restart again. But if, for example, you're on theme 1, update, then want to go back to theme 5, you may need to restart again.

Either way, I just changed the color of my battery images with no problems.

Are you changing the right images? In litegui/topbar folder?

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #8 of 207
  If you're on the theme you're ed you're on theme 1, update, then want to go back to theme 5, you may need to restart again.

Either way, I just changed the color of my battery images with no problems.

Thx. Indeed, re-flashed again with changed battery images - works as designed with bigger icons.

Two updates from X3 thread:
1) Mr Trev mentioned that progress bar time counters are, seems, not adjustable. Still waiting for any reaction from @Kepala
2) There was a tip of how to decrease size of flashable FW by replacing the 20MB font with just 0.6MB one (my total now 25.5 MB)

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 207
Originally Posted by Kepala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can not increase the pixel area, but I increased the contend of the icon and turned it by 90 degrees.
So You can draw it bigger in the field of 20x22 pixel!

Thx. This is almost the same of what I've done. Rotating by 90^ is a good trick to get 10% more. Yet changing the color is useful too.

Originally Posted by PavelNL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) Mr Trev mentioned that progress bar time counters are, seems, not adjustable.

Any confirmation to this, please?

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #11 of 207
Originally Posted by PavelNL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any confirmation to this, please?

It seems to be true. The issue is that it uses images (in the 'number' folder) instead of the font that's used throughout the rest of the firmware. The number images are only 5x8, so there isn't that much room to do anything.

I changed it a bit and made it a bit thicker, that's about all you can do.

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #12 of 207
  It seems to be true. The issue is that it uses images (in the 'number' folder) instead of the font that's used throughout the rest of the firmware. The number images are only 5x8, so there isn't that much room to do anything.

I changed it a bit and made it a bit thicker, that's about all you can do.

Will look into this direction, tnx.

Could you publish the FW version with these digits, pls? The previous your file has expired ;(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back