Woo Wes or BHSE
May 26, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #92 of 161
Hey I mean Jude said the WES was good and Tyll from innerfidelity didn't say that many negative things about it. :)
Sure. And we all have different preferences and/or references.

I think a good indicator (not an absolute) is market value as Mulveling alluded to; look at the most recent WES listing.

$7k sunk into the TOTL heap. Listed for under $5k. Groveling for anything above $4k. Zero interest.
Market Value:
Priceless
Jump on that sinking ship, verycoolalan. :laughing:

WOOOOOO WES MAXXXED

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #93 of 161
OK, you assign very strict meaning to certain words. But some of the stuff around here either goes up in value or holds within 85% for a long time, all while giving enjoyment to their owners. And a lot of "investments" go down, while not rendering any good times.

Yes, I agree. You are right. Let us allow for enjoyment. Ultimately, most all of it goes down in value with the next big thing. I paid a lot of money for a Theta Digital DAC BITD which is not as good as my Yggdrasil. Personally, I would rather have my early model BHSE than a T2. And if I had a T2, I would sell it to you.

My problem with this is that neither of the two products discussed here are crap. Yes, one is better than the other, but neither "suck" so that the guy who is buying both will know. Tube rolling has a much greater effect on the WES than it does with the BHSE. I will probably someday get a Spritzer Carbon or whatever he and KG come up with next. I will not buy it as an investment, however, but for a purpose much more valuable to me. That is what we have in common.

May 26, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #95 of 161
Oh don't even get me started on Sprtizer or KG , I asked both of them about the WES and Sprtizer just pooped all over Woo, KG also didn't have that many positive things to say about the WES.

You do know that KG designed the BHSE, right, the current best there is.

I happen to like the sound of ARC hybrid tube amps. A lot of people are critical not only of what they want ($$$$) (not a good investment !) for their reference series but of their design. I am just glad there are still people around that can actually improve on this stuff to feed my unfortunate addiction.

Thank you Justin, Birgir, and Mr. Gilmore.

May 26, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #96 of 161
The nicest way I can put it is that Spritzer/Birgir has an abrasive personality, and thinks very highly of himself. But definitely, huge huge thanks to Kevin Gilmore and Justin Wilson. They've done a hell of a lot for the hobby for a very long time now. And as far as we know, Kevin has never made nor asked a dime for it.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #97 of 161
So, just to get back to the point of market value, the BHSE, used, sells for close to its new price. The WES sells for closer to 50-70% of its new price. If you don't like the sound of a BHSE, you can get to audition it for close to free, because you'll get about what you paid for it. Not true of the WES. Just saying....

May 27, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #101 of 161
Decision is already made :)

I remember I almost bought a custom carbon from Whitigir I think if my memory serves me correct. Just couldn't pull the trigger...

So which did you decide on?

Also the Whitigir Carbon was a great deal. I missed out on it also. didn't have the SR009s at that time.

I am now in the market for a carbon or GG. Decisions..

Aug 26, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #103 of 161
Not heard the WES but read the many opinions (bad) on the WES MK1 before you leap. No idea if the MK2 is an improvement. IMO I have heard the BHSE many times and it IS worth the wait.

Aug 26, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #104 of 161
Has anyone heard the ver 2 of the WES with SR009? I'm contemplating this over the BHSE mainly because I don't know how long I'd have to wait for that amp.

Haven't heard it, but here are some technical considerations. The Version 2 WES still uses output choke loads. The problem with output choke loads is that they are relatively low impedance in the bass, increasing with frequency. On the other hand, electrostatic headphones are very high impedance in the bass (they look like capacitors), decreasing with frequency. Also, half of the power in music lies below about 300 Hz. What this means is that much of the output current is burned up in the chokes (wasted), so the output tubes have to work much harder because they have to drive the chokes as well as the headphones. The BHSE uses output constant current loads, which use very little signal current, so most of the signal current goes into driving the headphones. This results in better fidelity and less distortion.

Also, AFAIK, the version 2 WES still has a passive power supply, whereas the BHSE has an regulated power supply, which is much more stable. Although the WES and BHSE are in the same price category, IMHO they are not in the same technical category.

Full disclosure: I own a BHSE. I also have a modded Stax SRM-T1 and an SRX-Plus, both of which are hybrid tube-solid state stat amps. I have never heard a Woo WES.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #105 of 161
I thought the 009 was a little bright and fatiguing with the WES when I heard it at a show. This was on symphonic music. Very good soundstaging and depth though. I don't remember the DAC they were using. It was several years ago.
But I like the SR007 better anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back