Woo WA6 SE vs. WA22
Apr 17, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #32 of 48
Reviving this thread to ask if anyone has heard either of these with the HE1000 v2?  These are the two amps i'm considering for my new headphones.

My chain would be Tidal HiFi -> Roon -> Schiit Bitfrost Multibit -> WA6 SE or WA22 -> HE1000 v2

I'm currently using a Lyr 2 and while it doesn't sound terrible, I just didn't feel like I was getting everything the HE1000s had to offer.  I also have a Chord Mojo and I adore the sound, but it just isn't pushing them hard enough to be my end game.  Well I was right because I had a chance to demo my HE1000s using my Bitfrost Multibit DAC hooked up to a WA6 and it was a night and day difference to me compared to the Lyr 2 or Mojo.  I finally got the goosebumps I was waiting for listening to my favorite tracks as the WA6 seemed like it was squeezing everything out of the HE1000s.  The volume pot was at about 2-3 o'clock position... I can just imagine what the extra juice of the WA6 SE or WA22 will provide.

One note is that the amp will be run using RCAs for the time being (until i upgrade to a balanced DAC and turntable in a couple years).  I see that's not as big of an issue now that the WA22 can convert to balanced output, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #33 of 48
Reviving this thread to ask if anyone has heard either of these with the HE1000

One note is that the amp will be run using RCAs for the time being (until i upgrade to a balanced DAC and turntable in a couple years).  I see that's not as big of an issue now that the WA22 can convert to balanced output, but thought it was worth mentioning.

The WA22 sounds brilliant when running a balanced digital source into a balanced HP. Take away only the balanced source and I think the WA6SE is the equal of the WA22. Take away only the balanced HP and the WA22 ekes out a win. Add both back into the equation and the WA22 is noticeably more dynamic and musical. Hope that helps. I noticed this with both the HD650 and LCD3f. I didnt try a balanced phono stage, but used two high end Unbalanced phones stages (the ifi and the EAR 834P) which sounded just fine.

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #34 of 48
The WA22 sounds brilliant when running a balanced digital source into a balanced HP. Take away only the balanced source and I think the WA6SE is the equal of the WA22. Take away only the balanced HP and the WA22 ekes out a win. Add both back into the equation and the WA22 is noticeably more dynamic and musical. Hope that helps. I noticed this with both the HD650 and LCD3f. I didnt try a balanced phono stage, but used two high end Unbalanced phones stages (the ifi and the EAR 834P) which sounded just fine.

Thanks davehh, very helpful to confirm what I was thinking... that the WA6 SE would be great with my current setup and I wouldn't be missing much if anything, but that the WA22 should sound just as good and offers the added benefit that it will grow with me as I continue to upgrade components around it (balanced digital source and turntable).

I would still love to hear from anybody who's tried either of these through an HE1000.

Apr 27, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #35 of 48
Hello,

I bump this old good thread. I'm really curious too read more comments about the differences ?
More users of both amps ?

REgards

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #36 of 48
The WA6 SE is an oddity in a way. Far too limited in the ability to roll tubes and crippled compared to the WA22 with the inability to be used in full (any) balanced mode. With the changes made to the 22 in mid 2015 the 22 is versatile to the extreme. If I could not afford to run a 22 I would go with the WA6 rather than the SE. You miss too much when you can't roll some of the most popular fine NOS tubes or go with current manufactures if you choose. I know many love the SE but I would only buy one if I was trying to remove the temptation of building a nice selection of tubes to roll. There is a reason some of the most prolific posters are running a 22 and not an SE. Try to attend a show and try the two amps out.

Apr 28, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #37 of 48
Reviving this thread to ask if anyone has heard either of these with the HE1000 v2? These are the two amps i'm considering for my new headphones.

My chain would be Tidal HiFi -> Roon -> Schiit Bitfrost Multibit -> WA6 SE or WA22 -> HE1000 v2

I'm currently using a Lyr 2 and while it doesn't sound terrible, I just didn't feel like I was getting everything the HE1000s had to offer. I also have a Chord Mojo and I adore the sound, but it just isn't pushing them hard enough to be my end game. Well I was right because I had a chance to demo my HE1000s using my Bitfrost Multibit DAC hooked up to a WA6 and it was a night and day difference to me compared to the Lyr 2 or Mojo. I finally got the goosebumps I was waiting for listening to my favorite tracks as the WA6 seemed like it was squeezing everything out of the HE1000s. The volume pot was at about 2-3 o'clock position... I can just imagine what the extra juice of the WA6 SE or WA22 will provide.

One note is that the amp will be run using RCAs for the time being (until i upgrade to a balanced DAC and turntable in a couple years). I see that's not as big of an issue now that the WA22 can convert to balanced output, but thought it was worth mentioning.

I will get my HE1000 V2 tomorrow and I'll give some thoughts this weekend.

My setup is somewhat similar to yours:
Tidal HiFi -> Roon -> Chord DAVE -> WA22 -> HE1000 V2

My current favorite setup is the Focal Utopia through this setup, followed by the HD800, then Eikon. I think the Z1R isn't a great match for tubes. We will see what it's like with the HE1000 V2 though.

And I feed the WA22 through the XLR outputs of the DAVE, even though they are technically single ended. Still blows the Oppo HA-1 out of the water that I had previously. So balanced/single ended isn't everything.

And tubes matter. My current tube setup is what I think is perfection, and what Woo Audio had at CanJam LA.

Tung Sol 5998
Sylvania 6SN7
USAF 596

Apr 28, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #38 of 48
I will get my HE1000 V2 tomorrow and I'll give some thoughts this weekend.

My setup is somewhat similar to yours:
Tidal HiFi -> Roon -> Chord DAVE -> WA22 -> HE1000 V2

And tubes matter. My current tube setup is what I think is perfection, and what Woo Audio had at CanJam LA.

Tung Sol 5998
Sylvania 6SN7
USAF 596

Can't wait to hear your impressions. Where are most WA22 owners getting their tubes? I'm wary of ebay and would pay a little extra for the relative assurance of getting quality tubes the first time.

Apr 28, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #39 of 48
Can't wait to hear your impressions. Where are most WA22 owners getting their tubes? I'm wary of ebay and would pay a little extra for the relative assurance of getting quality tubes the first time.

I got the 5998's and the 6SN7's directly from Woo. I have a ton of rectifiers that I have gotten from different places. The 596's are definitely my favorites, but they require an adapter. I got a cheap adapter from eBay, but I ordered a custom one from @2359glenn that should look better than the one I have.

May 1, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #40 of 48
I owned a WA6SE, the biggest problem was it has only 6.3 output. Additionally it cannot drive my hd800 well.....
WA22 has XLR output but it is not "real balanced", but it sounds much better than WA6SE.
On this price, why not buy a littledot?

May 1, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #41 of 48
If you are happy to spend the money on a WA22 + premium tubes, you might as well get a Glenn custom made amp using EL3N tubes and Deuland caps! The only down side is the 3-4 month waiting time period for his amps - says a lot about them.

May 2, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #42 of 48
If you are happy to spend the money on a WA22 + premium tubes, you might as well get a Glenn custom made amp using EL3N tubes and Deuland caps! The only down side is the 3-4 month waiting time period for his amps - says a lot about them.

Has anyone A/B'd these amps? From what I read, the WA22 is more lush and euphonic, and the Glenn amps are more straightforward.

May 2, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #43 of 48
And it's official. The HE1000 V2 and the WA22 are made for each other. Not sure if I like the Utopia or the HE1000 V2 more through this setup. The Utopia is more detailed, but the soundstage of the HE1000 V2 is much bigger. The HE1000 V2 is like a mix between the best parts of the HD800 and the Utopia to me so far. Great headphones.

May 2, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #45 of 48
Has anyone A/B'd these amps? From what I read, the WA22 is more lush and euphonic, and the Glenn amps are more straightforward

I have spoken to a couple of people who own a maxed out WA5 and a Glenn 300B and a V281 and compared them side by side while being plugged into a Bricasti DAC. I trust their word more than all the hype train events that happen on head-fi on a regular basis. They made a few posts on the subject on the Glenn thread and Woo thread. Let's just say they were being very diplomatic on the Woo thread.

I own a WA22 with the premium tubes, XLR preamp outputs and I have upgraded the caps and resistors in it. It is a good amp but when I look back at the money I have spent on it, it offers poor value compared to what else is out there. I will keep it for a few more years as I love the looks of the amp. But an Eddie Current/Glenn Amp would be the way forward from here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back