Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations
Mar 14, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #827 of 1,192
Hi selling my WA2 Rectifiers tubes if interested here's a link to FOR SALE forum .Thanks                                                                                         http://www.head-fi.org/t/840041/wa2-rectifiers-telefunken-ez80-rft-ez80-and-ez81-ects

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #828 of 1,192
Hey guys,

I have had WA2 for quite some time and I love it. Unfortunately it seems that my power tubes are dying, since I'm getting some ringing which comes and goes and is extremely irritating so I'm looking for a replacement. Could you guys share some tips with me please ?

ps: Right now, I've got 2399 Tung Sol/Chathams which from my research should be similar as 5998's. and for driver tubes I'm using Siemens CCa's which are absolutely wonderful.

Thanks a lot, Flisker o/

I started with the TS5998's (which I think is what you have) and was very happy with their detail and extension but over time felt that they in a certain way 'overpowered' the WA2. I took a recommendation from a fellow head-fi'er and tried the TS7236's and felt that they presented a bit more relaxed sound. I used them for about 6 months and liked them a lot. I then had an opportunity to sample the GEC 6080's from a friend and fell in love with the purity (only word I can think of to describe them) of the GEC sound. Loved the sound so much I took out a 2nd mortgage and bought a pair of GEC 6AS7G's, which is the GEC 6080's on steroids. Have never looked back.
BTW, like you I use the Siemens grey shield Cca's (also Telefunken E188CC's) and they are a fantastic pairing with the GEC 6AS7Gs.
Good luck.

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #829 of 1,192
  Hey guys,

I have had WA2 for quite some time and I love it. Unfortunately it seems that my power tubes are dying, since I'm getting some ringing which comes and goes and is extremely irritating so I'm looking for a replacement. Could you guys share some tips with me please ?

ps: Right now, I've got 2399 Tung Sol/Chathams which from my research should be similar as 5998's. and for driver tubes I'm using Siemens CCa's which are absolutely wonderful.

Thanks a lot, Flisker o/

What your describing may be caused by tube microphonics.  I have a pair of Tung Sol (graphite plate) 6080WB tubes which have done the same thing and seem to be more sensitive then my other power tubes.  A pair of Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8s paired with these 6080s extenuated the problem and a different set of driver tubes (likely not an option for you) fixed the oscillation.  My point is you may be able to use tube dampers or experiment with washers on the tubes (etc.) to help control the situation.

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #830 of 1,192
I'm still looking for GEC 6080's if someone has a pair they would part with, i assumed maybe a few people who upgraded to the GEC 6as7g's would have a pair not being used 
wink_face.gif

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #831 of 1,192
  What your describing may be caused by tube microphonics.  I have a pair of Tung Sol (graphite plate) 6080WB tubes which have done the same thing and seem to be more sensitive then my other power tubes.  A pair of Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8s paired with these 6080s extenuated the problem and a different set of driver tubes (likely not an option for you) fixed the oscillation.  My point is you may be able to use tube dampers or experiment with washers on the tubes (etc.) to help control the situation.

Got some new driver tubes today, so I'll do some more testing, but I think it's the tube dying because it didn't do any noises before. It was perfectly silent. Thanks for tips.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #832 of 1,192

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot, Flisker o/

I started with the TS5998's (which I think is what you have) and was very happy with their detail and extension but over time felt that they in a certain way 'overpowered' the WA2. I took a recommendation from a fellow head-fi'er and tried the TS7236's and felt that they presented a bit more relaxed sound. I used them for about 6 months and liked them a lot. I then had an opportunity to sample the GEC 6080's from a friend and fell in love with the purity (only word I can think of to describe them) of the GEC sound. Loved the sound so much I took out a 2nd mortgage and bought a pair of GEC 6AS7G's, which is the GEC 6080's on steroids. Have never looked back.
BTW, like you I use the Siemens grey shield Cca's (also Telefunken E188CC's) and they are a fantastic pairing with the GEC 6AS7Gs.
Good luck.

Thank for reply, it's very helpful. May I ask where did you get the GEC GAS7G's and for how much ?

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #833 of 1,192
I took out a 2nd mortgage and bought a pair of GEC 6AS7G's, which is the GEC 6080's on steroids. Have never looked back.

Good luck.

Thank for reply, it's very helpful. May I ask where did you get the GEC GAS7G's and for how much ?

Head-fi'er Franatic turned me on to this dealer in England. I've posted about them here before. They are the BEST for hard to find tubes.
Owner's name is Kef Tesfaye and can be reached at contact@valvetubes.com
Price for pair of GEC6AS7Gs will depend on condition and supply...probably a hair south of $600 for a NOS or near NOS pair. But it's been quite awhile since I bought mine...so who knows.

May 20, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #834 of 1,192
Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #837 of 1,192
A little help with my WA2:

If the bass is a little too diffused or thick, which tubes you need to upgrade? The rectifier or the power?

All three types of tubes will have an impact from my experience. Switching to TS5998's or GEC6AS7G's would certainly firm up the bass of RCA's for example with your power tubes I would think.
Switching from Mullards as your driver tubes to Telefunken or Siemens would help as well. So many combinations...

Jun 8, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #838 of 1,192
Just wanted to check here re the gec 6as7g

Am i right in thinking the a1834 labeled tubes are a slightky better grade than the cv2423 and 6as7g of all these brown base gec tubes?

I read it a while ago but cant find or remeber it

And a z code, i think, meant hammersmith factory.
Does that carry any weight?

Thanks for any help

Jul 10, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #840 of 1,192
Planning to run my WA2 as a pre-amp only. Can anyone let me know what tubes are involved in the pre-amp signal chain?

Is it all tubes? or just the rectifiers? or something else

Thanks!

maheeinfy, all the tubes matter when using the pre-amp out. I dual task my WA2 as a pre and headphone amp and love it. The better the tubes, the better it sounds.
Here is my tube assessment for the WA2
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/woo-wa2-tube-rolling-recommendations.393811/page-44#post-12308869
Sorry for the long time delay in an answer, haven't been here in awhile and I'm not getting notifications like I should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back