Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Apr 19, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #256 of 2,685
  Sorry to hear about that hum. The WA22 is a fantastic amp, but it is sensitive to poor tubes. It took me quite a few months to find a complete set of tubes that worked perfectly in this amp. Now I have quite a few good sets, and the amp produces great sound with a completely black background. My recommendation is to buy another ECC35 tube. Try and find one that has the same construction as your "good" one.

I don't think it's damaging the amp - just yours and mine OCD.

Leftside, I appreciate that advice and your knowledge and will replace the bad one.  More than anything else I'm mad at myself for buying on eBay when there are established enterprises selling the same thing.  Yeah, a bit of OCD since the tubes do sound great. 

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #257 of 2,685
I'm also now in the possession of a Glenn 300B headphone amp. I'm still keeping the WA22 though. The WA22 has been moved to another room :) I also like my Allnic HPA-3000, but I can't justify having three headphone amps, so that one will be up for sale soon.

Yes, I prefer the Glenn, but the difference isn't night and day. It's actually confirmed for me that with the right tube combo, the WA22 is a wonderful amp and very good value - especially if you can find a used one.

This is it for me - there won't be another headphone amp upgrade.

Apr 29, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #258 of 2,685
I agree the wa22 with a great tube combo is simply amazing sounding..

May 3, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #259 of 2,685
Found a new home for the WA22. Seems pretty happy there :)
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

May 6, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #260 of 2,685
I guess your wa22 would be very happy I would be too, great gear man..enjoy

May 10, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #261 of 2,685
Hi guys: I am almost ready to click buy for a WA22.

Mi headphones are:
Focal Elear
Ether Flow
LCD-4

I know the Elears and the Ether Flow will work fine, not so sure about the Audezes.

Any experience driving the LCD4s with the WA22?

Thanks for your comments.

May 11, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #263 of 2,685
Hi guys: I am almost ready to click buy for a WA22.

Mi headphones are:
Focal Elear
Ether Flow
LCD-4

I know the Elears and the Ether Flow will work fine, not so sure about the Audezes.

Any experience driving the LCD4s with the WA22?

Thanks for your comments.
Work great with the LCD-3's, but I prefer good power tubes (5998's, 6BL7's) and higher gain driver tubes such as ECC33.
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/ecc31-ecc32-ecc33-ecc34-ecc35-tube-addicts.808322/

May 14, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #264 of 2,685
What does your corsair 540 air run I've got 2 of them awesome just noticed..enjoy

May 22, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #265 of 2,685
IMG_7055.JPG
Jupiter caps with Caddock resistors. Yep managed to fit them in there thanks to a local amp builder (New Zealand). Initial impressions - feels like a digital haze has been lifted off. The Jupiter caps are very smooth but not to the point where the Highs are rolled off. The bass is still tight and speed is not slow either.

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #266 of 2,685
Glad you like the Jupiter copper caps. I'm getting the same in my upgraded DAC. Haven't received it yet though.

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #269 of 2,685
Hey WA22 owners, my name is Joe and in a few days, I'll get to join the club!

I've wanted to pick up one of these guys for a while and recently was able to do so! Mine will come with the stock Syl 6SN7s, JAN 6080s, and a RCA 5U4G. Been doing a bit of research and went ahead and grabbed a set of TS 7236s, TS 6SN7GTBs, and a TS 5V4G. I won't be able to afford tubes in the $$$ range in the foreseeable future so I need keep things cheap.

Anyway, glad to finally be able to chime in - would love to post my impressions once this bad boy arrives!

PS - I know this is a trivial/controversial topic, but does changing the fuse offer any sonic improvement?

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #270 of 2,685
Hey WA22 owners, my name is Joe and in a few days, I'll get to join the club!

I've wanted to pick up one of these guys for a while and recently was able to do so! Mine will come with the stock Syl 6SN7s, JAN 6080s, and a RCA 5U4G. Been doing a bit of research and went ahead and grabbed a set of TS 7236s, TS 6SN7GTBs, and a TS 5V4G. I won't be able to afford tubes in the $$$ range in the foreseeable future so I need keep things cheap.

Anyway, glad to finally be able to chime in - would love to post my impressions once this bad boy arrives!

PS - I know this is a trivial/controversial topic, but does changing the fuse offer any sonic improvement?

That sounds great joe, I'd agree the 5v4g's are a really good sounding rectifier, as for the 6sn7's never cared for their sound just me. also take a look at some 6BL7's very nice and very affordable I haven't heard good things about the TS 7236's don't own any, You'll have a lot of fun tube rolling, a lot of the members here have a ton of experience just ask if you need some info..enjoy

Oh forgot to add any of you guys try Woo's tube compatibility chart web link can't get it to work, has Woo taken it down or something..Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back